Samui TEFL 4-week 120-hour intensive TEFL course

Samui TEFL 4-week 120-hour intensive TEFL course

Gap year promotion
***Graduating university or college soon?***
So you're graduating soon... but not ready to enter the corporate world. You'd like to take a gap year, but do something meaningful with that time.
Why not join us on the beautiful Thai island of Koh Samui to complete a TEFL/TESOL course?
Thereafter you can teach in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, and experience living in a new country, with a new culture. A meaningful gap year experience is a priceless addition to your CV/resumé.
email [email protected] for an info pack to start your new adventure. Mention this listing for a 10% discount.

Our 4-week, 120-hour intensive TEFL course covers every aspect of EFL teaching, with a strong emphasis on practical training. All theory is learnt face-to-face, meaning that you have a tutor on hand to answer any questions and assist with lesson planning. By the end of the course, you'll be confident to teach in the real world, from lesson planning to handling a class of boisterous children. Other aspects covered include understanding how to teach grammar, how to grab and hold your students' attention, and delivering fun, interactive, yet meainingful classes, appropriate to the students' ages and abilities.
The course covers English for special purposes (such as for tourism), and the practical training will be done in a real school environment, with various age groups.
We keep our class sizes small to ensure you receive personal attention during the course.
We also offer assistance with your CV and job applications, and cover Thai culture in the course.

• Teacher pracs in a real classroom environment
  • Located metres from the beautiful Choeng Mon Beach
  • Highly qualified trainers
  • An island tour is included during the first week of the course
  • All of the learning is done hands on through games and interactive activities
Asia » Thailand » Ko Samui
Meals
SIM cards
Travel Insurance
Visa

We have had many 'mature' trainees on the course. In fact if you read through our reviews, you'll see one of the latest ones is from Richard, who is in the age bracket you mentioned. You can also watch this video testimonial from a mature trainee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzT6MO2Qzyo&t=11s As long as you are young at heart and keen to learn, we are happy to have you on the course!

• Benefits

Allison
Atlanta, Georgia
Kennesaw State University

Best Experience

SamuiTEFL has been an experience unlike any other. This program has given me the knowledge and confidence to effectively teach students. The course is very rigorous, but worth every bit of the hard work it takes. The classroom experience, both with adult and young learners, was invaluable. Kathryn and Ashleigh are knowledgeable, helpful, and humorous. They give you opportunities to work individually as well as in groups, which has lead to many new friendships for me. I’d recommend this course to anyone who is serious about teaching English.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Allison
Thank you so much for your lovely words.
Wishing you all the best for the future.

Cody
Hamburg, Germany
University of Florida

Best TEFL Program in Thailand

Like many of you, I was in a bit of transition when I discovered Samui TEFL. After quitting my lucrative engineering job and gallivanting across Europe for a year, I thought, "Hey, I want to be a teacher in Thailand. How do I make that happen? Oh, look! Samui TEFL has great reviews! Let's send them an email and buy a ticket to Thailand! Then, after surviving the rigor of this course, I can live in paradise with a beach-view, two pools, saving thousands of dollars a month and have health insurance."
And that's how it happened. Sort of. But really, the real story, if you're willing to believe it, involves a buddy from college, a Panamanian rain forest, a spiral into depression from the stress and boredom of entering adulthood in an American Midwest rustbelt city, a bit of jealousy, a massive exodus from my company (started by me), a chance trip to Slovenia with that same college buddy, and a flight to Thailand. It was this buddy's recommendation to go to Samui TEFL that changed my life. A one month, rigorous TEFL course to prepare one for a teaching job. That's what you're promised and that's what you'll receive with Samui TEFL. Don't go in thinking that this will be easy and that you'll be spending every day on the beach, drinking out of a coconut. You have only one month to learn how to excel in the classroom and that month will require a good bit of work out of you. It's worth it. Do it. Simple.

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you Cody for your lovely words. We wish you all the best in your adventure.
Rosanne, Kathryn and Ashleigh.

Beverly

Fabulous!

If you are looking for a great experience, learn from one of the very best and make great new friendships, look no further than Samui TEFL. All the ladies at Samui TEFL are extremely reliable, friendly and helpful, and have definitely set the standards very high for any other TEFL institute. I would highly recommend Samui TEFL to anyone wanting to become a EFL teacher. The environment is fantastic and the island lifestyle makes learning an enjoyable experience.

Kathryn and Ashleigh are truly fabulous people who make you feel confident in every part of the course. They were so supportive to me and really made a huge difference in my experience. They boosted my confidence where I lacked it and made me feel like part of the family. They really are lovely ladies and make the course extra special!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Beverly
Thank you so much for your lovely words. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time on Samui and at the course, and we wish you all the best with your new career.

Jason

Highly recommended

Samui TEFL was a great experience for me and I would advise anyone who is looking for a new adventure to give Samui TEFL a look at. The Samui TEFL team not once made us feel as if we had bitten off more than we could chew.
They taught us more than just how to be teachers; they taught us how to become more aware of cultures around us, how to be more confident in ourselves and our objectives, as well as how to make every situation we are in a fun and enjoyable experience. They gave us the opportunity to work as a team, and guided us well by always leading by example.

If you are considering a TEFL course, Samui TEFL should be at the top of your list!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Jason
Thank you so much for your lovely review! Best of luck with your new career and your travels.

Zachary
Thailand
James Madison University

Do it NOW!

There's a reason you're reading this review right now. Either you're really bored at work or you're interested in earning your TEFL certification and travelling the world. Regardless of why you're reading this, you know that there is something telling you to do it. Well, I'm here to tell you to listen to that little voice and do it! I waited a year from when I first read about SamuiTEFL to when I finally arrived on the island. I spent too long second guessing myself, when really I should've taken the plunge when I started researching. Let me tell you, I am so happy I did it!
I won't sugar coat it, this course is super challenging. Kathryn fits so much into four weeks, but you're better off for it. Unlike some other TEFL courses, Kathryn prepares you for the real world of teaching. Sure, teaching is extremely rewarding, but it's challenging. She will push you, but you will succeed. This course isn't set up for you to fail, it's set up to prepare you to become the best teacher. Kathryn is amazing at what she does, and she will help you become amazing too! Ashleigh is also there to help and support you, which she does an outstanding job with!
Now, while all of this learning is taking place always remember that you're on a tropical island in the Gulf of Thailand! You will wake up every morning with the sun shining, birds chirping, and beautiful blue water to swim in! I'm not sure why anyone would choose to earn their TEFL certification anywhere else. I actually decided to stay on the island and teach at a local school, and I couldn't be any happier! So, throw all of your excuses out the window and get yourself on a plane to Thailand! You won't regret it.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Zachary
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Best of luck with your new job on Samui, and stay in touch.

Ashlee

JUST DO IT

Yesterday you said tomorrow.

I am so happy that I made the decision to choose Samui Tefl to be my springboard into the world of teaching English as a second language.
Kathryn, Ashleigh and Rosanne make a fantastic team and help you with every aspect of the course.
Kathryn is a fantastic trainer and mentor with vast reserves of knowledge, experience and encouragement. You will be left more than prepared for where ever you decide to teach. The education around Thai culture is a very helpful bonus if you decide to teach in Thailand.
Despite the hard work involved, the mere sight of a student's face light up during a well planned lesson is such an amazing experience. Never mind all the exciting tourist and cultural experiences studying on the island of Samui affords you.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Ashlee
Thank you so much for your kind words. You were a pleasure to have on the course, and we wish you all the best with your new career and travels.
Best wishes

Richmond

excellence in teaching

It´s not about the beautiful beaches and overwhelming nature. It is not about the friendly people or the great food. It is not about the scooter rider or bar hopping nightlife. It´s about making a life changing decision that will give you tools to touch people's lives.
You will have to study hard and practice harder. Give all the attention to the teacher in the classroom and you will be able to enjoy your afternoons at the beach or having a great meal with your classmates. Get to know your classmates and you will become friends for life. This is an experience that brings people together and you will share so many memories.
Kathryn has so much experience and will be able to anticipate your needs as a future teacher and the skills you should get to shine. Ashleigh will be your greatest support to orientate and motivate you to get things going.
So if you are just finishing university or if you already have experience as a professional like myself, be sure to come with an open mind and give yourself into the experience of your life! - Ricardo Simon - Chile

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Ricardo
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We loved having you on the course and wish you the best of luck with your new career.
Kathryn, Ashleigh and Rosanne

Sigrid

So grateful we´ve found samuiTEFL

I am so grateful I ve found and picked this tefl course in Koh Samui - as there are various other options in many different places .
I am not talking about the gorgeous nature, stunning beaches, delicious Thai dishes or friendly people on this island (although these details add to the beautiful overall impression).
I am talking about being a teacher and a student at the same time, about getting tools for teaching successfully, having access to a large pool of tips and tricks for classroom management, games, warmers, pacemakers. About being able to adapt every topic for every learner level. Becoming confident enough to teach in a foreign country, in a foreign language (as I am not an English native speaker).
Days are pretty intense and packed with preparing lesson plans, reviewing grammar, searching for resources, making game boards, having your teacher practices in local schools and language centers. But there is always time to jump into the pool or treat yourself with a massage to relax and enjoy this whole, new experience.
And you are not alone. You are part of a lovely bunch of people, who like you are looking for something new and special in their life. You have all the support and encouragement from Kathryn and Ashleigh, heart and soul of Samui TEFL.
I would like to thank everyonee for being part of my unforgettable experience . (Thank you Jennifer for your yoga classes at the pool on Sunday morning!)
Follow your feet and follow your heart! - Sigrid Kreuzwirth - Austria

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Sigrid
Thank you so much for your lovely review!
We wish you all the best in your travels, and best of luck with the new career.
Best wishes,

Kate in Colombia in February 2017
Kate
Hanoi, Vietnam
University of Arkansas- Fayetteville

In-Person TEFL Certification vs Online Version

I just finished my first proper day of teaching in Vietnam and I must say I am so happy that I went with Samui TEFL for my teaching certification. I can’t imagine what teaching must be like for those teachers that didn’t do their teaching certification in person and instead opted for an online version. From classroom management tactics to lesson planning to real time feedback about your teaching style (with real students) - I feel that Samui TEFL gave me all the right tools to make me a confident teacher and ensure that my classes are fun and engaging. Kathryn’s approach to teaching was certainly a new experience for me but by the end I could see the value and appreciated it immensely. A highlight of the course was Kathryn’s Italian lesson where we got to experience first hand what it is like to be learning a new language that you don’t know anything about. It certainly gave us perspective for just how much care and attention goes into every little detail to make your students comfortable, engaged, and using the language. Ashleigh was a HUGE help to our course as well with prepping for the practice lessons we taught at the various institutions on the island. I can’t recommend Samui TEFL enough if you’re considering teaching English abroad - plus the connections they have to help you find a job (sometimes even before the course is over) are fantastic!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Kate

Thank you so much for the lovely review, and to you and the class for the great video! So pleased you are enjoying teaching.
All the best

Tatiana
London

THE best TEFL course out there . Book your place today !

Before deciding to go and booking my place , I have done an extensive research and talked to many people online and face to face about all the possible options and places in Thailand to do this . Then I have come across few who mentioned TEFL Samui and it piqued my interest as this course sounded way more interesting than all the others.
So I took a dive and booked it . I cannot reiterate enough how much fun that month in Thailand with the professional teachers from Samui TEFL and my fellow students had been . I will never ever forget it . The classes were fun and interactive , confidence building and extremely educational . We had plenty of help and assistance during and after the course and Kathryn , our teacher was super fun and very knowledgeable . We learnt a lot through game play , and the actual in - class teaching where we had to teach the class of primary school students . Oh how we much fun that was !
Sadly I couldn't remain in Thailand and had to return back to England but I'm planning to go back there next year to put all that I learnt on this brilliant course into practice and hoping to stay for longer .
Thanks TEFL Samui for all that you taught me !

I honestly could not think of anything that I would improve . Everything was just perfect !

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Tatiana

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We hope to see you back in Thailand soon!
All the best of luck with your future.

Brooks
America
Mississippi State University

10/10 would recommend

I wasn't sure what to expect when starting the course at Samui TEFL but it exceeded any expectations I could have had. By the end of the course I felt as though I was thoroughly prepared to start teaching!Kathryn is an amazing teacher and ensured that we all were comfortable and well versed with the various skills that were needed for classroom management, lesson planning, resourcing and more. Ashleigh made sure we stayed on top of things and helped us in any way she could. The course is definitely a lot of work but the atmosphere that Kathryn, Ashleigh and your class creates makes it a very enjoyable experience and most of the time it doesn't even fill like work! Also, it doesn't hurt that it is located on an island that has some amazing beaches!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Brooks
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time on the course and Samui.
Best of luck with your future plans.

Jack

Good Vibes

A spectacular experience in terms of both personal and professional development. After finishing university, and being engulfed by the usual graduate malaise of wondering what to do with my life, I decided to take the plunge and enrol in the Samui TEFL Course. I have not looked back since. It was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life and has not only provided me with great memories and friendships but has also provided me with the skills and confidence to go out and make new ones too. You receive the greatest levels of support in all aspects of your personal and educational journey. I urge you to embark on this course and embrace all the good vibes this course has to offer.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Jack
Thank you so much for your lovely words.
Wishing you all the best for your future career and travels.

Bobbie
Koh Samui

Do it, do it now!

Pretty much just reinforcing what everybody else seems to have said about this course. It is superbly run, a great deal of fun was had by all, the levels of support given are second to none and everything these ladies (Kathryn and Ashleigh) do is designed to help you succeed as a teacher of English as a foreign language. Having said that though, it is still up to you as an individual to put in the effort to ensure your own success. At times it may seem overwhelming and slightly confusing but that is normal and by the end of the course it will become clear as to why things are done the way they are. Once you get up in front of all those kids in the classroom and see the smiles on their faces and just how keen they are to learn and have fun, you'll realise then that you have made the right choice. This has been an extremely rewarding, not to mention a life changing experience, and by far the best decision I have made in my life up to this point. So what are you waiting for? Save your pennies, book your flights and your spot on the course and get your bum over here. You will not regret it!!

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you for your lovely words Bobbie. Best of luck with your new career.

Katherine
Canterbury Christ Church University

An amazing experience.

Samui Tefl. What an experience. I honestly couldn't recommend it enough. If you interested in teaching English as a foreign language, Samui Tefl is the best decision that you could make. The course is intense, and by no means four weeks of fun - you work hard, but it's totally worth it as it prepares you so well for when you get a job. Kathryn is a wonderful teacher and has a lot of experience behind her, so she has lots of tips and advice which she will happily pass on to you. As amazing as the course itself was, the best part was making lifelong friends and memories that will be treasured for a lifetime. Having a support system around you really adds to the experience of living in Thailand - and it gave us all the opportunity to travel to different locations to visit friends, that we perhaps wouldn't have been aware of otherwise. All of us found jobs no problem, and seemed to all find different types of jobs/locations which suited us as individuals. If you are considering the course, take the risk - you won't regret it!

I think that it would be helpful to provide new students with a little more information, with tips and advice about what to bring/places to visit and things to do whilst doing the course.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Katherine
Thank you for your lovely review.
We wish you the best for your career and travels.
All the best,

Hannah
Bangkok, Thailand
University of Minnesota

Excellent course, excellent value!

Samui TEFL is an incredible experience for anyone involved! The course is a very good introduction to teaching and is definitely worth the price. Kathryn is a excellent resource and has loads of experience to guide you into a new career. At times the course is intense and requires hard work, but it pays off! After completing Samui TEFL I find my current teaching job to be a breeze. The lesson planning, resourcing, and teaching pracs will seem intimidating to start, however, they do more than prepare you for your first week at a real job. In addition to feeling extremely prepared to go into the world of teaching I gained an incredible group of friends. Get to know your peers during the course! I feel truly fortunate for the people I met and the relationships I created whilst on Samui for a month. After the course was over, I had friends all around Thailand and was able to travel from Bangkok to Pattaya, Hua Hin, Ayutthaya, etc and stay for free :) Samui TEFL is an experience that you will reminisce about for a life time.

My particular course did not focus heavily on classroom management. I believe a short unit about how to manage a classroom of kids (without an assistant teacher) would be helpful.

Amy

April 2016 TEFL course

Moving to another country can be exciting and daunting at the same time. I did a lot of research on the many TEFL courses in Thailand and while there are many great ones all throughout the country I am very happy I chose Samui TEFL. The support Roseanne and Kathryn gave before the course put my mind at ease prior to embarking on this new adventure and the support given during and even after the course was so helpful I cannot thank them enough. I met so many incredible people from all around the world that have become some of my closest friends. With Roseanne and Kathyrn's help I received an interview at a really lovely school on the island and was offered a position. I continually look back on the time of the TEFL course as the best month I have had in the year I have been living in this beautiful country. Thank you for the very fond memories and for helping me reach my goal of doing the TEFL- to feel comfortable in and in front of a classroom!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Amy
Thank you so much for your lovely words. We are so happy you are enjoying your teaching position on the island.
Best of luck for the future, and stay in touch!

Nicole
New Zealand
Victoria University of Wellington

Just do it :-D

Each of us embark on a personal journey for purposes that either help us to remedy our current situations, or to give us a purpose for our future aspirations. When deciding where to begin my TEFL journey, I was drawn to Samui purely by the lure of the relaxed Island lifestyle, which is also complemented by beautiful beaches, climate, and a relatively low population density. I am so thankful that I made the right decision choosing Samui TEFL, and am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this course. My only regret is that I didn’t make the choice to come sooner!
Samui TEFL has given me an extremely strong foundation to begin my journey as an English Language Teacher. I have no doubt that in years to come, I will still be making references to the broad range of knowledge that I have learnt on the course. Kathryn is an extremely competent trainer, who shares her invaluable knowledge and experiences with all. This ensures trainees are made fully aware of what to expect in real Thai classrooms and language schools. Each lesson, activity, and task is meticulously planned to equip us as ‘teacher trainees’, with a ‘toolbox’ of skills and techniques that are easily transferrable to classroom situations. Nothing is without a purpose!
For myself personally, the most beneficial part of the course was going into classrooms and teaching. Essentially putting all the knowledge and skills we had acquired to use. This gives a great insight to what it will be like teaching in a Thai school. Although at first, I found even the thought of this extremely daunting, my confidence grew as I became more familiar with the course content and applications of teaching techniques. I had faith in, and knew that all the information and advice that had been given to us by Kathryn and Ashleigh, was set up in a way to ensure we would all succeed. I am still amazed that in just 4 (intense) weeks, I was able to learn so much information, and was able to develop different personal attributes.
I could go on… but in summary I am so happy with how the course panned out. Kathryn and Ashleigh are both so supportive, helpful, and knowledgeable and I couldn’t be more grateful to them both for getting me to a level where I now have belief that I can be a competent, and effective teacher. Before coming to Thailand, in one of my previous office roles, my favourite part of the job was going home, or that the chair would swing around 😂. Now I am living in Phuket, listening to Thai children who are adopting a Kiwi accent, 10 minutes from the most beautiful beaches and living my Island dream 😃

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Nicole
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased you are enjoying your new job in Phuket. We wish you all the best for the future.

Jeanneri
South Africa

Samui TEFL Best experience

I did my TEFL last year in the end of January, honestly it was one of the best experiences. Not only was Kathryn extremely professional, but she was also an excellent teacher!!! She taught me new techniques which I still use in my classes today! Don't expect to chill during this course, no you work hard, BUT its all worth it. So when you walk into a Thai school you are ready and fully prepared! The program is situated in Choen Mong in Koh Samui, paradise is one word to describe it! We worked hard during the week and weekends got to have the island holiday! With regards to jobs, Kathryn and Rosanne helped a lot and after job hunting for a week or so my friend and I had jobs and were sorted out!

Overall everyone PLEASE do your TEFL with Samui TEFL it s worth every penny !!!

The program is perfect.

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you Jeanneri for you lovely comments. Best of luck for the future and we hope to see you back on Samui some time!

Morgen
Colorado
University of Colorado- Boulder

I am so grateful to have been apart of the Samui TEFL program. This class allowed me to gain essential teaching skills in order to teach English to non native English speakers while creating strong friendships I would hold with me throughout my time teaching abroad in Thailand.

When I first arrived I had no idea what to expect and was honestly quite nervous, however, from the first day of class all my nerves were settled. Through daily classes and multiple teaching demos I was able to gain real life experience and the confidence I would need to teach a class of my own.

Kathryn gave me important tools and techniques to use to be the most effective teacher I can be. She is extremely helpful, kind, knowledgeable and was a great resource while creating lesson plans of my own.

Samui TEFL laid down the foundation I would need to teach Kindergarten in Bangkok and I can't imagine trying to do it without them!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Morgan
Thank you so much Morgan for your lovely review!
Best of luck with your future career and travels.
All the best,

Isabella
Bangkok
Oxford Brookes University

The Best TEFL in Thailand!

I arrived in Koh Samui not knowing what to expect from the upcoming course. 30 minutes into day 1 and I was already happy with my choice in Samui TEFL! Before my arrival I corresponded with Rosanne who was incredibly prompt with her replies and super helpful with all kinds of questions I had - TEFL related and otherwise. Kathryn is the course leader and has years and years of experience in the field; you couldn't ask for a better teacher! Ashleigh is possibly the most organised person I have ever met, she helps with organising the practicals and always has an answer to any questions.
Do not take this course if your intention is to slack off... it is very intense. You get given homework almost every day, have class tests, have to make (what seems like endless) resources and have a diary to write once a week. It sounds a lot, and it is, but you get to work as a team and have fun with it! By the end of the four weeks my group and I were very close to each other; exploring the island, going to the beach and eating out together were things we did a lot. Samui TEFL even organise an island tour on your first weekend - a great way to get to know your surroundings and your new classmates.
Teacher practicals (TPs) happen in week 2, 3 and 4. Everyone preps for the lessons together and spends time after class to make the resources. The day of your first TP is filled with nerves, but once you get into the class room the feeling is amazing and it all seems to come together. The good thing about Samui TEFL is that you have a certain amount of TPs to complete, but almost every one is with a different age group. Adults - Thai and other nationalities - and a range of children. This gives you an idea of which age group you'd prefer to teach in the future.
Samui TEFL gives you a stationary pack, folder with lots of useful paperwork inside, access to printing and resources (paint etc) and a USB that has all the documents you can ever need. Ashleigh helps you with your CV and tailors it to how a Thai employer would like it. An agent even came in to speak to us and by the end of his visit, most of us had been offered jobs. The USB has a list of agents (and ones to avoid) who work with you to get work.
If you're thinking about doing your TEFL in Thailand, Samui TEFL is the one to choose. You live in a beautiful location for 4 weeks with people who will become your close friends, and have access to amazing mentors who are happy to help with anything. The course is intense, but so worth it. Many things are included that may not be in other courses (teaching and classroom management techniques, CV help, agent access etc).

I can't think of anything major, so I'll have to say less homework (but what student wouldn't want less homework?!).

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Isabella
Thank you so much for your lovely review.
Wishing you all the best for your new career and the future.
All the best

Selina
England

Amazing experience

I am so grateful to Kathryn and Rosanne for the opportunity I had with them at Samui TEFL. It was the most amazing experience and not only helped me to become more confident but also taught me essential classroom skills.
The course was well structured and had lots of different elements to it, I really enjoyed the diary entry element as it now gives me something to look back on. I'm sure I learnt more studying for the tests over the course of the 4 weeks than I ever did at school!
I loved working in groups to plan lessons and it was great teaching with a partner as it took away some of the pressure, everyone was so supportive of one another and we had a lovely small family! The location is fantastic, I never thought I'd be attending school on an island! Who doesn't to chill out at the beach after school or on the weekends.
The support you receive looking for jobs and after the course has finished is also what makes Kathryn and Rosanne so excellent and I'd 11/10 recommend Samui TEFL to anyone who wants to complete a TEFL course.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to improve the programmefprogramme for the future, it was perfect as it was!

Abby

Best Decision I've Made!

I had the chance to do a TEFL course a few years ago, didn't do it, and regretted my decision ever since. So when I finally decided to go for it, I'm so glad I found Samui TEFL! As soon as I got in touch with Rosanne, I had all my questions answered and so much support all the way through the whole course. I did my class in January 2017 and I am now living and working in Chachoengsao about and hour outside of Bangkok and still know that I can always count on my teacher Kathryn if I would need any help. Kathryn is an absolute fabulous teacher and knows what she is talking about. The course is jam packed with so much to learn and a quite a bit of work but so worth it in the end. I feel way more prepared from taking this course, so when I got a teaching job teaching Kindergarten with 30 kids I felt nervous but prepared. I had tons of ideas to use from class and learned classroom management techniques that were SO SO helpful! Kathryn and Ashleigh were helpful outside of class as well, helping us learn about Thai culture, telling us where the good beaches are, and helping us organize an island hopping day. Also Ashleigh helped us with our resumes and finding jobs starting the 2nd week of the course. I have made some lifelong friends from this course and I know will enjoy a lifetime of adventure! Best decision ever! If you are thinking about it- just go for it! You won't be disappointed!

Can't think of anything!

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you Abby for your lovely review. All the best for your future!

Lulu
Alabama, USA
Alabama

Simply wonderful

Upon graduating university in 2015, I applied to the Samui TEFL program on a whim as a young 22 year old. I booked a one-way plane ticket and headed to Thailand for what I thought would be just 6 short months. I honestly had no idea what to expect and I had no real expectations.

On the first day of class I remember the atmosphere feeling so relaxed and it made me feel so confident in my decision to go to Thailand and to go through Samui TEFL. Kathryn was so welcoming and professional, everything was organized and communicaton was great. I met some of the greatest friends who, two years later I still talk to on a weekly basis!

After teaching in Thailand for a full year, I can still say today that choosing Samui TEFL was the best decision I made to begin my journey in Thailand. I could never have walked into a classroom of 37 Thai 5 year olds without the experience Samui TEFL gave me.

Kathryn and I are still in touch today and I know she would help me with anything!

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you Lulu for your kind words. All the best for your future career and travels.
Regards, Rosanne and Kathryn.

Crystal
Ayutthaya, Thailand

New career, new friends, new life!

I was 35 years old living in Philadelphia when I decided to turn my life completely upside down. I had great friends, a nice apartment, a good job with a promotion on the horizon but something was missing. I wanted to travel, really travel. My 9-5, Mon-Fri job would not allow that and I needed to make a change. When I researched living and working abroad I came across TEFL and knew that was the answer. I spoke with friends then friends of friends, and found someone who took Samui TEFL and highly recommended it. It is overwhelming finding a credible TELF course. There are so many out there that are not going to prepare you the way Samui TELF does. The instructor Kathryn is very knowledgeable, engaging and fun. It is hard to imagine sitting in a classroom for 6 hours learning about grammar when the beach is a 2 minute walk away. Kathryn somehow manages to keep your attention. The teacher practicums are terrifying and the most fun! I was so scared for my first one and when it was finished I could not wait until the next one. Practicing with real students is extremely important and beneficial to course. Do NOT do an online course, you will miss out on working with real students. Samui TEFL gives you a solid base to start off of as a new teacher however, you will be putting in a lot of work along the way. My biggest piece of advice is to ask a lot of questions in class, then ask more. You will not be alone, everybody in class will be thinking the same thing "what did I get myself into?" the answer is "the most exciting adventure of your life"! Kathryn will be there for you every step of the way. She will give you additional resources and put in contact with others. Samui TEFL brings in a recruiter one day that you can openly ask any question you want about job searching. My Samui TEFL class had 22 students in and on 2 day, I had 22 amazing friends. The course is intense with a lot of work and studying however, you are not alone. Samui TEFL does more than teach you how to lesson plan and grammar structure. It provides you an environment that prepares you for the adventure of your life. I have a great job at a school that I love but, more importantly because of Samui TEFL, I have a family in Thailand that is there to support me and travel the world with me!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Crystal
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
All the best for your future.

Rachel
Scotland
University of Edinburgh

From Thailand to Italy: all thanks to Samui TEFL!

I highly recommend Samui TEFL!! It was a fantastic month of learning, creativity, pushing comfort zones, and soaking up all of Kathryn's (TEFL instructor) wisdom and advice, with a great bunch of people! It gave me a solid foundation for my TEFL teaching career, and it was a wonderful opportunity to enjoy and explore all the delights of the beautiful island of Koh Samui. The instructor Kathryn is brilliant. She has a wealth of information and creative ideas, which really makes you feel equipped and prepared to enter the world of ESL teaching. The teacher practices in local schools are great fun, and a brilliant chance to try out new ideas out and grow in confidence. Kathryn is very encouraging, and gives detailed feedback which is so valuable in learning how to improve or adjust your teaching method/activities. Days are sometimes long; some evenings you'll spend a couple hours preparing for your teacher practices, but this is really worth it in terms of feeling equipped and understanding how to lesson plan. If you put in the effort, you’ll learn lots and find yourself quickly growing in confidence and teaching ability! After my TEFL course I was employed, with Kathryn's assistance, by a nearby International school on the island. It was a brilliant and unique experience that I look back on with many fond memories. Kathryn was always willing to give support when needed which was appreciated. The knowledge and experience I took away from my time with Samui TEFL was so useful, and quickly implemented in my teaching employment. It was always helpful to look over my course notes to get fresh ideas and inspiration for my classes.

I am now teaching in Italy. It has been great to be able to refer back to my Samui TEFL experience and ideas. The TEFL teaching adventure continues for me in a new part of the world and I am absolutely loving it! All thanks to Kathryn and Rosanne for all they invested in their program, and for giving me the tools and confidence to make TEFL teaching a longer term career than I originally planned on! TEFL teaching is truly a fantastic opportunity that opens doors worldwide; and with Kathryn's continued assistance and my Samui TEFL resources it has been an easy and wonderful journey!

If you are considering doing a TEFL and not sure where.... go to Samui TEFL! It really exceeded all my expectations and opened doors I couldn't have imagined. Living on Koh Samui itself is a unique and fantastic experience. You’ll meet some amazing people and create some unforgettable memories in a beautiful part of the world :) I also recommend staying at T-Phat Phink hotel which Samui TEFL offers at a discounted rate. It’s clean, comfortable, and the owner Joy does her absolute best to make you feel at home and always at hand for any issue you might have!

Samantha

My adventure with Samui TEFL

Doing the Samui TEFL course broadened not only my intellectual horizons but also my sense of adventure and my love for teaching! Kathryn really helped boost my confidence whilst teaching and gave an excellent recommendation for me, which ultimately got me into the school I wanted to get into, and is working at currently. Samui TEFL has allowed me to live and work on a paradise island and aided me with all the tools necessary to do so. It’s a dream come true! Our 4-week, 120-hour intensive TEFL course covers every aspect of EFL teaching, with a strong emphasis on practical training. All theory is learnt face-to-face, which means that you have a tutor on hand to answer any questions and assist with lesson planning. Ashleigh, as well as Kathryn was extremely helpful and made the entire process as comfortable as it could be. By the end of the course, you'll be confident to teach in the real world, from lesson planning to how to handle a class of 30 odd kids and taught excellent classroom management skills. This course has predominantly taught me how to deliver fun, interactive and inspirational classes, appropriate to the students' ages and abilities.
The course covers English for special purposes and the practical training will be done in a real school environment. As well as what I’ve mentioned, you get to go on an island tour with your course mates the first weekend! You also get tones of help with finding work and updating your cv. So Samui TEFL, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Can't think of anything!

Deborah
Koh Samui, Thailand
Kingston University

Best decision I made

I did my Samui Tefl course in 2013 and I have not looked back since..... I used to read a lot of reviews that started just like mine and I thought to myself "yeah right".... but I stand totally 100% corrected all of my doubts gone... yes you have to work hard but with the help and support I received whilst undertaking and even 4 years later from Samui Tefl speaks volumes. I was the oldest candidate on my course but I was always made to feel relaxed and the course facilitator was always on hand to answer the smallest question or calm your nerves before a teacher practice... after completing my course all candidates on my course found work within Asia and all went on to complete successful Tefl teacher jobs before either going home or continuing their journey..... as for me well I left Thailand 1 year ago and now I am a successful Tefl teacher in Cambodia ....

Response from Samui TEFL

Thank you Deborah for your lovely review. We are pleased you are enjoying your teaching experience in Cambodia now.
All the best for the future.

Randall
North Webster

Just another voice of agreement with other reviews!!

When I decided to leave the corporate world to teach English in Asia, I knew it would be a challenge. What I didn't realize was how exciting and rewarding it would be as well.

I don't even know where to begin when talking about Samui TEFL. From the word "go", they were right on top of everything. When I sent my initial inquiry, I expected to wait a day or two. I had sent my inquiry on a Friday night, Saturday morning for Koh Samui. Within an hour, Rosanne had sent me an email with an introduction to the course. Attached was the answer to everything I could possibly think of that needed answered. Of course, being the person I am, I thought of other questions. Every question was answered quickly and professionally.

When I was trying to select a TEFL company to train with, I had set up a criteria list. Included in that list was: a challenging curriculum, a professional staff, experienced instructors, good support staff, and job placement. I also wanted to see reviews. I believe the best judge of a program is someone who has "been there, done that".

Challenging is not the word for this program. I could tell from day one that Kathryn (instructor) had a firm grasp on not just the English (especially grammar) language, but on what we needed to learn to be successful in the classroom. I am not just talking about Thailand. I am talking about ANY classroom where we may teach English as a foreign language. From Kathryn's teaching a segment in Italian, to spending extra time on a particular subject...Kathryn was there!

No good course can be successful without good back of the house support. Once again, Samui TEFL came through like a champ. The first day, we were introduced to Ashleigh. She is another great player on the Samui TEFL team. She pulled our CV (resume) and started working on each one individually. Ashleigh took the time to restructure and set them in a way that prospective employers could see the information they needed. She also coordinated with a local agent to talk to us about teaching in Thailand. It was a good conversation, as he wasn't selling his services. He answered questions about teaching in Thailand and what to expect. Ashleigh (like Kathryn) worked odd hours to support the class as was needed.

All three constantly checked with members of my class to make sure that we were getting the training we needed. They also supported those of us that were seeking employment. By the time week three rolled around, I had 6 solid job offers. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, as all had merit. Ashleigh was a great behind the scenes advisor. She took me aside and said, "quit looking for more jobs and choose one". I took her advice and quit looking at ajarn.com. I chose a direction to go and that is where I am.

I could keep writing stories about how the training was "dead-on" at Samui TEFL. From how Thai students would respond to us, to how fellow Thai teachers may be, they were right. The classroom control points were invaluable. The staff spoke to us extensively about what it was like to teach in Thailand.

Before I arrived at Samui TEFL, I knew where I was staying. A driver was sent to pick me up at the airport and take me to the hotel. The Samui TEFL know the local area VERY well. They know the places to see, the restaurants to eat at, the beaches, and the other islands. If they don't know the answer, they find out.

I completed my course in November, 2016. I waited to write my review, as I wanted to see how my skills match those who are teaching now. Before this course, I had never taught in a elementary school. I now teach 4-5 grade math/science. I also do private tutoring. I tutor 3 first graders. The owner of the school has asked me if I have time to do a class for some second graders. It would seem that the parents' of two of the first graders want me to take on their older children and had said something to their friends. The rate I am paid is higher then the standard rate paid for tutoring in this area. I attribute that to the style of teaching I use. Presentation-Practice-Production, A/B sticks, Drilling procedure, activities, hands on activities, and even lexis substitution. If you know these terms...you have been to Samui TEFL!

Oh and BTW....you stay in a tropical paradise for class!!

The Samui TEFL staff is constantly looking for ways to make this course better. I was amazed the adjustments that Kathryn made in teaching material to reflect the needs of the class. Ashley was always looking for ways to help students day to day activities.

To be honest, I can't think of any way to make it better. You get what you put into the course.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Randall
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so pleased you enjoyed the course, and now the teaching.
Wishing you all the best for the future.

Collier
Athens
University of Georgia

The best there is

When looking for a top notch TEFL course in Thailand there's no other program in the country that competes with Samui TEFL. Kathryn is the consummate professional; she doesn't pull punches, preferring instead to prepare students for the workloads that they will encounter; she expects effort and adherence to her methods, which focus on a high energy, totally engaging teaching style that keeps students too busy to be distracted and disruptive at the same time that they learn a well organized lesson. This is not a course for the casual-minded individual who says he/she wants to teach when he/she means travel. It's real work. That said, if you're willing to work then it's the best practice and prep you can hope for. Kathryn and Roseanne introduced our class to an agent (of which they have access to a whole network) who set me and three friends I met at Samui TEFL up with jobs in a great school just outside of Bangkok. After more than a month working as a new teacher I'm amazed at how much I continue to refer to my Samui TEFL material for inspiration, ideas, and teaching tips. Kathryn's style definitely influenced my approach to teaching - fast paced, high energy, and fun - and she remains a valuable resource months after the program.

Add to that the fact that you get to spend a month on one of the nicest islands in Thailand, set up in a comfortable hotel right on the beach just a few blocks from the TEFL center. There's plenty to do and explore in Choeng Mon and the greater island depending on how adventurous you are. The program's size means you won't lack for attention or feedback and more than likely you will make friends that you enjoy traveling with.

Overall, the program was a wonderful experience that set me up well for every subsequent venture I've undertaken in Thailand. I think that Samui TEFL will continue to serve me well in the future and nearly everyone who I graduated the course with agrees. If you want more information on traveling in Thailand, various hurdles that foreign teachers need to jump through and what to expect in a place that promises no standardized method for doing things, check out collierconnell.weebly.com for more info and feel free to contact me with questions.

The one minor issue that I had was the lack of new technology (projectors, computers, etc.) that were set up in the TEFL center. That issue has been resolved, however, with the addition of a new instructor whose taking care of it. It was also good practice to get down and dirty with glue sticks and paper to create full proof games and lesson plans.

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Collier

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Wishing you all the best in the future.

Lisa
Huntington Beach
University of California- Davis

Such an amazing course!

I loved my experience with Kathryn and Ashleigh at Samui TEFL! After graduating from University and then working for a year in an office, I realized that wasn't what I wanted to be doing for the rest of my life. I had a strong urge to travel, but wanted to be doing something meaningful while traveling as well. A friend had told me about a few online TEFL courses, but after doing a bit of research, I found that the in-person courses tend to be much more effective. Samui TEFL confirmed this 100%!

Not only was I able to live on a beautiful (and super fun) island for four weeks with some AMAZING classmates and friends, but I was also able to learn more about teaching English than I ever thought I would in just 4 weeks. The course is incredibly intense but I listened to Kathryn and stayed on top of all my tasks, so it went just fine! Kathryn refreshed us on grammar while showing us helpful teaching techniques at the same time. She ensured that I was fully prepared before I went into all of my different teaching pracs. I felt a bit nervous going into them, but once I was in front of the class and applying the advice that Kathryn gave me, I felt so comfortable.

Throughout the course, Ashleigh and Kathryn were so helpful when it came to assisting me in finding a job. I ended up traveling for a few weeks rather than working right away, but now that I am planning on working in the next few weeks, they have reached out and given me all the resources I need for finding a job!

Overall, I HIGHLY suggest this course for individuals of any age and any background - you will not regret it! Thank you Kathryn and Ashleigh for a great experience.

Nothing I can think of!

Response from Samui TEFL

Dear Lisa
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it is much appreciated. Wishing you all the best for the future.
Rosanne, Kathryn and Ashleigh

Samui TEFL is based on the island of Koh Samui in the Gulf of Thailand. Our 4 week, 120 hour intensive training course prepares you for teaching EFL in the real world, as we have a strong practical element to the course. You'll do not