Samui TEFL 4-week 140-hour intensive TEFL / TESOL course

Graduation!
Graduation!
The course group out for dinner.
The course group out for dinner.
Teacher pracs.
First day
First day
Samui TEFL classroom experience
Samui TEFL classroom experience

Our 4-week, 140-hour intensive TEFL / TESOL course covers every aspect of EFL teaching, with a strong emphasis on practical training. All theory is learnt face-to-face, meaning that you have a tutor on hand to answer any questions and assist with lesson planning. By the end of the course, you'll be confident to teach in the real world, from lesson planning to handling a class of boisterous children. Other aspects covered include understanding how to teach grammar, how to grab and hold your students' attention, and delivering fun, interactive, yet meaningful classes, appropriate to the students' ages and abilities.
The course covers English for special purposes (such as for tourism), and the practical training will be done in a real school environment, with various age groups.
We keep our class sizes small to ensure you receive personal attention during the course.
We also offer assistance with your CV and job applications, and cover Thai culture in the course.

• Teacher pracs in a real classroom environment
  • Located metres from the beautiful Choeng Mon Beach
  • Highly qualified trainers
  • An island tour is included during the first week of the course
  • All of the learning is done hands on through games and interactive activities

***Less 25% on the 11 November and 13 January courses!***

Applies to direct bookings only, for the course on Koh Samui.
25% discount off the course fees for these 2 courses.

We have had many 'mature' trainees on the course. In fact if you read through our reviews, you'll see one of the latest ones is from Richard, who is in the age bracket you mentioned. You can also watch this video testimonial from a mature trainee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzT6MO2Qzyo&t=11s As long as you are young at heart and keen to learn, we are happy to have you on the course!

• Benefits 9.7
  • Facilities 9.3
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8
  • Job Assistance 9.6
Joel

Just do it!

After a year of going back and forth deciding rather or not I should do a TEFL course I finally took the first step and found Samui TEFL. This program not only gave me the right tools to teach but the confidence as well. Teaching in a foreign country I didn’t know what to expect, but with a detailed plan and positive feedback, I found myself really enjoying this newly learned skill. The trainers Chiara, Jane and the rest of the team at Samui TEFL did an amazing job at creating a safe and fun learning environment. Making sure everyone understood the different topics and getting the whole class involved in fun activities. You learn a lot without knowing that you did. Once you step in a classroom all that information comes out and you see how it all fits together. I highly recommend taking this course if you want to teach overseas!
One of the biggest things I learned that I consider an eye-opening experience was that teaching doesn’t have to be by the books, you can have fun, creative and interactive lessons with your students that can help them learn so much more. This 4-week course is intense but if you work hard and have fun it goes by so fast. Being on the island of Koh Samui is something I will never forget. Thanks, team for helping me become a fun passionate teacher!

Be and engage yourself in the NOW. Realize where you are and what you are doing, it will help you see the bigger picture and receive all this new information better. Don't stress out you are on an island! Work as a team and HAVE FUN!!
Kornel

Perfect in every way

I am an English teacher from Hungary, you may ask me why do I need to take a TEFL course. I have some experience teaching English in Hungary but it was 20 years ago. After finishing this course I realized how boring teacher I was back then. I knew I had a lot to learn and if you want to learn about teaching English Chiara is the best teacher you can get. We had an amazing group of people in our class from every part of the world, we went to the training centre excited every day, nobody missed a class in 4 weeks, I would've stayed longer if I could. We had the chance to practice in 3 different kind of schools and it was an amazing experience, Jane, Off and Chiara helped us in every way they can in organizing and planning these teacher practices. They even helped me to find a job in Samui, and I'm really grateful for that. Why Samui? I think it's enough to say I've been living here for 8 years now. It's a beautiful tropical island where you can find countless beautiful viewpoints in the mountains, amazing beaches, or you can visit busy markets, pubs with live music and party places.

Try to enjoy every minute of the course, you may find it a bit overwhelming at the beginning but it's worth to give 100% all the way through because you can learn a lot from these amazing teachers.
Shanique

Samui TEFL - Feb 2019

"I think to travel and work abroad is something that everybody thought about sometime in their life. So many options and careers to choose from. So I decided to become a foreign teacher and what an adventure it has been since day one. Since arriving on Samui I knew exactly that my days of travelling is not even almost over. I lived my best life in Koh Samui with some life time friends I met on the Samui TEFL group. The course does not only give you an internationally accredited TEFL certificate but also a whole bunch of new best friends. Never knew that you can have so much fun while actually working really hard during the day. During this month on Samui you get to work with kindergarten up untill adults , which I think is great because then after the course you candecide the age group you want to teach. The trainers at the course also made learning very fun through constantly playing games - games which you can use in your own classroom one day - and also having little coffee breaks where it gives you enough time to quickly catch up with the other trainees. The trainers also wrote the days' agenda on the board for everybody to see so that we are always on track of what's going to happen next. The amount of work was split evenly everyday so we always worked just as hard as the previous day. The TP's looked a bit daunting at first but once you are in front of the classroom with another trainee on your side , things just go smooth sail from there. You can never be worse than the previous day because after every TP you get feedback and tips that would help you to just get better and better. Having just a TEFL certificate does not make it harder to get a job , I was surprised when I realized how many International Schools there are around Asia. And they always seek passionate teachers like the one's Samui TEFL develope. I am very fortunate for having this oppurtunity granted to me. Strange how much your life can change in just one month. THANK YOU SAMUI TEFL! "

Paul

Samui TEFL -high standard, great experience 120 hour TEFL course

If you are looking for a very high quality, high standard and extremely well run TEFL course, then Samui TEFL is definitely the right place for you.
Samui is a beautiful island rich in Thai culture and a great place to study, I managed to go for a quick swim everyday. Our class was very multicultural and we all quickly became a community working together to help each other achieve the highest standards we could.

The training centre is simple but is well organised and provided a great environment for us to learn together, good air conditioning and all the facilities needed to put lesson plans in to action. The trainers are excellent, very experienced and passionate about teaching. Each lesson is amazingly well organised and really makes learning fun. Wisdom is in abundance so make sure you listen up and prepare for a great challenge.

The course is pretty intense but incredibly rewarding, you will definitely get good pay back if you put the effort in. We actually taught at an international school, a local Thai primary school and for those of us who wanted to do so, at an adult language school. When you graduate you really feel that you have achieved something significant and that you have gained the confidence to start the TEFL journey, especially after actually doing real teaching in real Thai schools with real kids!

Friendships made on the course will last forever and through the powers of social media we all keep in touch to discuss the next steps in our journey and the jobs we are undertaking. As I write this I am on my way to the UK for my first teaching job within 2 weeks of graduation, where to next ?

The classroom was bit small for a class of our size, but it was not a big issue.
Sam

TEFL course on Koh Samui

I chose to take a TEFL course on Samui, as the prospect of studying on a tropical island appealed to me, and it did not dissapoint! Samui is a fantastic island in the south of Thailand, and being able to relax on the beach (just a few minutes walk from the school!) after a hard day studying was brilliant. The school provided everything we needed to take the course - pens, pencils, white board pens etc as well as free wifi water and hot drinks. There is also printing facilities and so much arts and craft items to use for teaching aids. Chiara , the TEFL teacher, was superb. She made everyone comfortable and eased us into the course and before we knew it, the first week had passed - and i was amazed at how much material had been covered, and more importantly that material had been taken on board as well! Chiara is a very experienced language teacher, and included many techniques that have been tried and tested in the classroom. My coursemates on the course were also great, and we bonded well taking full advantage of being on a tropical island. We were given plenty of material, so when it came to our first teaching practice, we all felt well prepared to go and teach the kids in the school. We had the oppurtunity to teach in an international school, a government school as well as some adults who were learning english. This gave us a good overview of the different environments we could be teaching in, and the potential issues we could face. Throughout the course there was help provided in applying for jobs, as well as perfecting your CV. Overall i would reccomend this course, as Samui is a fun island to stay on for 4 weeks, and the quality of teaching and assistance offered is excellent.

Chris

The resource that keeps giving

This review has taken many months to write. Each time I've attempted to write one there seems to be more instances where this specific course and the tools given to me by the highly skilled and specialized teachers has come into my daily life and been a savior to teaching.

Think not the concepts are absurd or outdated (for they are) the reality is that alnodt everything you learn through this course works. You just don't understand the context yet.

If you are considering a TEFL course choose SamuiTEFL. Go in and try to absorb everything that you humanly can whether you think it relevant or not, there will be a day when use it and are thankful.

Managing your interactions with the children you teach and the students on the course with you will ensure that you get the maximum out of this course. It's predominantly about how much love and happiness you can share and the tools this course gives to ensure it.

(pro tip)
The beer is good but expensive. Get "local" whiskey and sprite for a winning evening.

Michael

Michael

Samui TEFL provides their students with the essentials needed to succeed in a classroom setting. Prior, during and after the course has completed, the TEFL staff are there to help. Whether it be with accommodations during your stay in Samui, packing, professional clothing, cultural norms or job placement; the staff is available and willing to help. It is up to you, as a student in the course, to listen, corporate and work as a team player to gain the most from this experience.

Samui TEFL was recommended by a friend, and I would recommend this course to anyone searching for a TEFL course led by experienced professionals in the education system.
I thoroughly enjoyed the interactiveness of the course, the time spent with the students in the Thai schools and preparing the lesson plans together as a class.

The time and energy the TEFL staff put into this course is evident. It was a pleasure to be a student and learn from instructors who are so passionate about their jobs.

Good luck, and thank you Samui TEFL!

Maggie

I had never travelled, taught, or heard of a tuk-tuk before flying to Thailand to pursue my TEFL certification. Thank goodness for the exceptional team at Samui TEFL. Inside and outside of the classroom, I never had a question that went unanswered. I always felt supported and rooted for, and when you’re a world away from home – that is invaluable.

Our teachers were dedicated to preparing us for classrooms of our own. I quickly learned how much thought, strategy, and preparation goes into each and every lesson. By the end, I wanted to send fruit baskets of thanks to all the teachers I have had. (It’s a lot of work!)

But it’s rewarding work. You’ll see the smiles on the students’ faces when you bring boxes of resources for interactive, fun practice lessons. The course is so worthwhile in that it stresses bringing creative approaches to education. It’s a hustle to learn to teach in four weeks, but this program will ensure that you leave with a strong foundation which you can build upon and tailor to wherever you find yourself teaching next.

And Samui TEFL helps with the “what’s next” part, too! The team made sure that we had access to and were connected with prospective positions. They will guide you through preferences, locations, and contracts.

My experience with Samui TEFL was positive and impactful. I learned so much and made fabulous friends. Bring an open mind and a willingness to learn, and the course won’t let you down.

Thank you, Samui TEFL!

Read my full story
Stuart

Samui TEFL - All Schools Should be Like This

Hi, my name is Stuart.
I have lived in Thailand for the last eight years. For seven of these years, I have worked in most countries in Asia and in all of these countries, English is not the first language. Living in Thailand where English is a subject for all students, I have witnessed and experienced the difficulty people have had with speaking English. With my experience, I believe I can make a significant difference to help children and adults to learn English.
From contacts I have in Bangkok, I knew of the Samui TEFL school and that it had a very good reputation, and I was not disappointed
Everyone in the school was helpful. Our instructors were professional and very proficient in teaching the TEFL program.
The students came from different countries and with them their diverse backgrounds, it really helped the class dynamics.
The course takes place on Kho Samui island that immerses you in a unique and beautiful culture. The opportunity during the course to have practical experience teaching at the local schools with the Thai children was enormously beneficial.
Once the course was completed Samui TEFL was instrumental in helping all the student get jobs. I now some On-Line teaching and will continue to work helping English teach in Thailand.
The friends you will make and skills you will learn makes this a lifetime opportunity you shouldn’t pass up.

The course was very good, the only thing I would have wanted is more class time.
Frank

Island adventure

Hello, my name is Frank. After graduating with my bachelors degree in May I found myself looking for something new and challenging. I heard about Samui TEFL from a friend online. After doing some in depth research I decided that Samui TEFL was the correct choice.

Everyone in the program is so helpful and inviting. From the first day to the last day our instructors were dedicated to the success of each and every student. The course is not easy but you are given the tools to succeed. The instructors give constant support and show that they believe in you as the student. Samui TEFL is a program that works.

The course takes place on an island that emmerses you in a unique and beautiful culture that can only be found on Ko Samui.

I’ll always be grateful for the experience this program gave me. I was able to find a job and start within a month of graduating from Samui TEFL.
The friends you will make and skills you will learn makes this an opportunity you shouldn’t pass up.

I found the most helpful thing for me as a student was being able to practice teaching in front of an audience. I would say more practicing in front of the group.
Richard

Highly recommended

I took the decision to take this TEFL course as I have always dreamt of teaching English but I was originally influenced by my parents and environment to pursue a business career (Economics & Law studies in Switzerland, followed by a BSc in Business Management in the UK, and finally five years in the “corporate world”). I recently realized I should pursue a teaching career as I have been tutoring children and (mostly) adults for over ten years and really enjoyed it, but never seriously considered making a full-time career out of teaching.
Languages open up the world and speaking three languages myself I want to share this treasure with my future students. And once I had decided to become a teacher, and more specifically a language teacher, I realised it would take a minimum of 6 years of studies and training in my home country Switzerland to then maybe get a teacher’s assistant job for another 4 years, whilst a) competing with younger and cheaper labour, and b) following a strict and inefficient ,,way of teaching a language. I also didn’t want to stay in the same environment I had experienced for over twenty years and wanted to have some independence in my class, and teach in an area of the world where English is more “needed” than in Europe. After some research I figured that South-East Asia would be the ideal place for me, and so far I don’t regret my choice for a single minute.

On this TEFL course I expected to be taught some of the necessary tools to fill my teacher’s toolbox. I was given creative ideas on ways of explaining grammar and everyday use of the language to students, especially those from Thailand and of a young age as I have really only taught French/English speaking adults so far.

After having completed the course I feel that it matched my expectations, I had been taught which are the main problems Thai students have regarding pronouncing English words such as Consonant Clusters (CC), Final Consonant (FC) sounds, Fricatives (F), where the Stress (S) lies and the issues they have pronouncing the “l” and “r”. I have also been taught techniques on how to help them pronounce difficult English words such as Back-Chaining, which quite frankly was a revelation. Finally, I have also been given some great ideas on how to motivate or cool down a classroom full of children through pacemakers and very creative games and activities they might like.

It is an intensive course, you will have to work quite a lot and dedicate at least two or three hours after class for your homework and preparing for the next classes. Get on the island at least a week before the course starts to sunbathe and party otherwise you will just want to go to the beach everyday straight after class, it is a very beautiful and fun place to be. Secondly, make sure you get along with your fellow students, you don’t want any negative distractions because the lessons and homework involve a lot of group work. Thirdly, since you are in Thailand you should get used to the respect teachers get and how highly they are regarded so a) your behavior and appearance outside the class must be impeccable, do NOT get into any trouble and respect EVERYONE especially in the area around the school since the locals WILL recognize that you are a teacher trainee, especially if you carry the Samui TEFL branded bag with you, do NOT become an obnoxious drunk “farang” (Thai word for foreigner), b) respect and listen to your tutors, they are amazing: highly trained and give great insight on how the Thai students and culture work. Point four, sometimes you might find a few activities or ideas slightly strange, but remember that Thailand is probably on the other side of the world from your home country and the course is tailored to the Thai market and focuses mainly on how to teach children. You will likely teach kids in Thailand due to demand and for your work permit.

My expectations of the course have been met because it prepared me extremely well on how to teach children in Thailand, both in terms of the pronunciation issues they may run into, and the grammar. I have also been taught how to
I knew the course would be tailored to the Thai market regarding issues the Thai may have with learning English. However, I wish I had been informed beforehand about the strong focus on teaching children since I would have preferred to teach adults. I acknowledge now that this is wise since the demand for Young Learner Teachers is higher and makes the work permit easier to obtain. I am however very excited about my new job on the island in an international school

less resourcing for lessons
Response from Destination TEFL

Thank you Richard for your lovely and detailed review. We are pleased you are enjoying your job at the international school.
Best of luck,

Shanice

Amazing Course, Amazing Experience!!

By far one of the best teaching/learning experiences I've ever had. You learn so much in a short space of time but the way the material is presented, half the time it doesn't even feel like you're really learning. Katherine makes it so fun and engaging and also includes EVERYONE! Every lesson has a "purpose". You'll take away so many valuable lessons and use them. Even if you're not teaching after the course, they'll still come in handy in everyday communication engagements. Also, you meet really cool people and make so many good friends. The support there is really like no other. They make sure you're going to be well taken care of by whatever school you may have an interview with and has plenty of advice on what to look for in a school and the area. Even after graduating and finding a school, Katherine and Chiara are still checking up on me and making sure that I'm okay and happy with my school and life after the course. I would recommend them to anybody looking to get TEFL certified ANY DAY. I would take it again, if I had to.

N/A
Response from Destination TEFL

Thank you Shanice for your lovely comments. We loved having you on the course! Best of luck with your new job on the Andaman Coast.

Morgan

Could not recommend this program more!

Kathryn’s program is, in a word, incredible. She’s able to pack so much learning into just 4 short weeks. The program is a sort of teaching boot camp. It’s quite rigorous, and you’ll surely feel challenged at points, but you will come out of the program a much better teacher (and person). Kathryn goes to great lengths to give her students the greatest chance of success and helps with job placement. I’ve met a few individuals during my travels who made the mistake of doing an online TEFL instead of an in person one, and I’ve come to realize just how useful our teacher practicals were. We received immediate feedback about our practicals. Kathryn and her team always provide honest feedback and constructive criticism. The classes are always energetic and interesting. If you are serious about teaching English in Asia or anywhere else for that matter, this is the best course out there! Get ready for an incredible four weeks!

Response from Destination TEFL

Dear Morgan
Thank you for your positive comments. We are pleased you enjoyed the course and gained so much from it.
Best of luck with your new career and travels.

Anneline

Great experience

I recently completed the course and love every minute of it. From the new friends I've made, the team work, the fun and laughter, but also the hard work, the intensity of the course and the feeling of achievement. The course is intense but I proudly walked away with my certification, knowing that I am well equipped for a job as a TEFL teacher. Thank you to Kathryn our passionate and compassionate course facilitator. You left me with a lasting impression. You are trainer and teacher personified. Thank you to the staff at Samui-Tefl. You are simply amazing.

Response from Destination TEFL

Dear Anneline
Thank you for your lovely review. We are also pleased you are keeping in touch and sharing your teaching experiences. We hope you continue to enjoy this new journey of teaching and travelling.

Zaynah Nadeem

Excellent and Worthwhile Experience

I recently completed the April course with Samui TEFL and I found it to be an incredible experience. The support you receive extends even beyond the course, and every single one of my classmates left with a job to go to! I would definitely recommend this course if you are looking to do your TEFL, as you will be able to study on a beautiful island, and will most likely end up with a job as it's reputation precedes itself.

Response from Destination TEFL

Dear Zaynah
Thank you for your wonderful review! We wish you all the best with your new teaching career and travels.
All the best
The Samui TEFL team

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Destination TEFL

Destination TEFL, Koh Samui opened in 2011 as Samui TEFL, on the beautiful tropical island of Koh Samui, Thailand. With expansion in mind, the natural progression was to open another training centre in Cambodia – a land where ancient and modern...