XploreAsia 120 Hour TESOL in Thailand & Online

XploreAsia 120 Hour TESOL in Thailand & Online

Our internationally accredited (OTTSA) TESOL course will prepare you for an incredible teaching experience, while our cultural immersion course will prepare you to live and work successfully in Thailand

Receive comprehensive training in teaching English to non-native speakers by educational professionals. Gain feedback from both the instructor and fellow peers in your class. You will gain an understanding of theories/techniques and be able to create exciting lesson plans for speaking, listening, reading and writing. You will also teach at a non-profit English camp in a Thai school.

Hua Hin, Thailand hosts the XploreAsia experience which includes a comprehensive orientation week covering Thai language, culture, history and politics. Visit an elephant sanctuary, train in Muay Thai and visit a beautiful mountain top temple. You will visit and be able to volunteer at our partner local dog rescue centre.

XploreAsia offers education, culture and adventure in equal measure!

Asia » Thailand » Hua Hin

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Kim
Calgary

I highly recommend XploreAsia's 120-hour in-class TESOL training and certification to anyone who is considering teaching English in Thailand. The benefits of taking this course right in Thailand rather than studying it online are numerous, and XploreAsia's topnotch team of professionals is amazingly supportive all the way through. In fact, they're still supporting me with regular follow-up after the fact.

During the first week, XploreAsia provides an in-depth look at Thai culture and politics while also providing their TESOL students with a few hours of basic Thai language classes. I can't begin to explain just how helpful this was weeks later, once I began my teaching contract at a Thai school in Bangkok. The staff at the school really appreciated my extra bit of knowledge and understanding compared to other Westerners who didn't receive any cultural training at all. It was also helpful for us both that I was able to speak a wee bit of Thai with them.

The remaining three weeks of the course were filled with not only the same theoretical review of teaching methodologies that one learns through the online course, but also many hours of practical application within the classroom. We learned how to create and present various types of lesson plans, and we were able to provide and receive feedback from our instructors and each other in a safe environment while we learned. This in itself is priceless, but it didn't end there. Following this, we also got the opportunity to do a practicum at a two-day English camp at a nearby Thai school. So, again we received that all-important firsthand experience of dealing with Thai children in their natural school environment which further prepared us for our real jobs to follow.

Studying this TESOL course and teaching in Thailand has been a "bucket list" item of mine for many years, but I don't know how well I would have done if I'd just moved here on my own. I think I would have experienced quite a strong sense of culture shock if it weren't for the safe cocoon of XploreAsia staff and my fellow TESOL students around me for that first month. It really helped me to acclimatize to a new country so that, once I was on my own a month later, I was that much more prepared. I know how to live on my own here now. I know what I need, and I know how and where to get it.

Thank you for making everything so much easier and enjoyable for me, XploreAsia. I highly recommend your company and your TESOL course to everyone.

Anna
Surin, Thailand
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Incredibly Helpful Staff Provides an Excellent Experience

The XploreAsia team is excellent. In addition to being highly knowledgeable, they run a top notch program, and provide the support needed to ensure a smooth transition into living in Thailand.

I completed the program without taking the TESOL course, so I did a one-week program in Hua Hin prior to my placement in Eastern Thailand. Because the staff is well organized and efficient, I was able to absorb a ton of helpful information during that first week that helps me every day in Thailand. In addition to taking some Thai language classes, the instructors provided useful background on Thai culture and politics, and were available to answer any additional questions any student had. The orientation week offered several great field trips, including visits to a Buddhist temple, elephant sanctuary, dog rescue, night market, and Muy Thai lessons, among others.

Because I had obtained a TEFL certificate on my own prior to arriving in Thailand, I didn't stay for the full-month course but a week was enough time to learn what I needed to know in order to set myself up for success in Thailand. However, it was enough time to make several great friends that I've kept in touch with, traveled with, and will travel with in the future and on holiday. Moving to SE Asia from America is challenging for a number of reasons, and XploreAsia helped me realize what I would need to do in order to make the most of my time here.

I could not be more glad that I chose to do this. I've now been teaching for two months and while it's challenging at times, it's also deeply meaningful in a way that my career in America was not, and I'm grateful for that opportunity. The students are so endearing and wonderful, and this really helps when I miss my family and friends at home. I am also VERY GLAD I CHOSE TO WORK WITH XPLOREASIA. I cannot stress enough how important and helpful it is to have a cultural liaison to help with things like setting up a bank account, getting a Thai SIM card and setting up your phone, etc. These things would be a nightmare for a non-Thai speaking foreigner to attempt alone and because of XploreAsia and their excellent staff I've been able to enjoy my time in Thailand rather than spend it needlessly frustrated, as I surely would have done if I opted to come here on my own!

I highly recommend the program.

Honestly, the only thing that I didn't like was getting up early in the morning for the orientation classes. But I chose to become a teacher so it seemed like a pretty fair schedule. I still hate getting up early in the morning and I think I always will and yet I still like teaching, and you will too.

Jenna
Guilford, Connecticut
College of Charleston

Life-changing Experience Learning TESOL in Thailand

The XploreAsia 120 hour TESOL in Thailand was absolutely fantastic. From the moment I was picked up from the airport in Bangkok, I knew I was in good hands and would be surrounded by awesome people. The program, set in the beach town of Hua Hin, began with a one week orientation followed by the 3 week TESOL program. During that time we met elephants, took an art class, went to a pineapple farm, had Thai language lessons, met a Buddhist monk in an oceanside temple, and so much more. Our class was about 30 people from the United States, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Wales, and it was amazing! It was my first experience meeting so many people from other countries, and I loved learning about each of their countries just as much as I enjoyed learning about Thailand. We instantly became friends and had the most incredible month together. With the help of the XploreAsia staff, we were able to plan weekend trips to night markets, temples, and waterfalls. One trip we took was to Pala-U Waterfall, which was one of the happiest days of my life. Myself and two others from the program decided to leave our bags and cellphones in a bush (fingers crossed monkeys wouldn't snatch them) and hike up 15 waterfalls with just ourselves and the beautiful Thai jungle. We kept telling ourselves that we'd turn around after climbing just one more waterfall, but ended up making it as high as we possibly could. It was so extremely rewarding, and I will forever cherish that day...even though on the trek down I slipped and landed straddle split on top of a pointy rock, but hey, the crying and blood cleanup lead to a cringeworthy, hilarious bonding experience with my new friends. To create memories like that was the main reason I chose XploreAsia. Other programs offered online TESOL classes, but having that first month to make new friends and become comfortable in Thailand was essential to my success overseas.

While I was very pleased with my experience with XploreAsia, I would like to see the placement process become more transparent. We had a few meetings with the placement team where we were asked our preferences, but most of us didn't end up in locations or in schools in line with what we requested. While I fully understand not everyone can be accommodated and they did say that not all requests could be accepted, I would have appreciated knowing how decisions were made since placement seemed almost random. I ended up quite satisfied with my location and school, but it was certainly different than what I expected. Prior to my departure I was shown pictures of beautiful islands and beaches "in my town", but they actually ended up being several hours and multiple modes of transportation away from me. This ended up being fine with me, but having more accurate information about my town would have made the transition easier.

Dale
Samut Sakhon, Thailand

It was far more than I had hoped for or expected.

I desperately wanted to teach in a foreign country and Thailand was very appealing for this idea. Making this dream a reality on my own felt extremely overwhelming and deterred me from chasing this dream. Luck would have it that I found XploreAsia.

I was told that XploreAsia is a company that offered a cultural introduction to Thailand, a Tesol course and assistance in finding a job as an English teacher. What I received from XploreAsia was far greater than this.

The cultural excursions that were offered to us were educational, fun and turned out to be the best possible way I can think of spending my first week in the country. The friendships built in this first week between myself and the other Tesol course attendees was something I had not anticipated but had occurred I believe due to the awesome excursions that were offered to us.

The Tesol course itself was very informative to teaching English in Thailand and fully examined how we should go about teaching to the different age and speaking levels of the children. Our teacher "Zach" was able to answer just about any question no matter how strange it was and used his own teaching experience and stories to aid us in our learning. Knowing the staff had all been through the Tesol course themselves and had taught around the country really helped settle the initial nerves I had, also boosting my belief in what they were saying.

The staff at XploreAsia are AMAZING, its as simple as that. It felt far less like a company and more like a family. I felt bloody lucky to be welcomed into this family even if it was for a short three weeks.
The placement team will work tirelessly to find teaching jobs for everyone! They seemed to genuinely take into consideration the preferences and desires of each individual.

Long story short what i received personally during my time with XploreAsia was far more than i could of ever hoped for. Its almost impossible to truly describe what I experienced so instead ill say take the risk and sign up for the next possible intake. I'm sure you will just as I have come to understand that this may be one of the best things you will do in your life.

Essence
Suphan Buri, Thailand
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University

XploreAsia is great!

Though I didn't complete the 120 hour TEFL course, going through XploreAsia was the best decision I made when choosing to teach English in Thailand. The staff were very supportive, friendly and knowledgeable from the very beginning.

Everything was very well organized and informative. My week-long orientation was a great way to begin my journey in Thailand. The staff provided me with very helpful classes including Thai language and culture and would answer any questions that I had with no hesitation.

The placement process was very quick and efficient though a bit overwhelming because you have little time to prepare before you head out. But, the staff did a good job with explaining where I would be placed and the different attractions that would be nearby. They also made me feel comfortable enough to be able to ask any additional questions about my placement or agency and voice any concerns that I had.

Also, we got to immerse ourselves in the culture and experience what life would be like at our placements which I really liked. We were able to go on many outings during the orientation week and each outing was better than the next.

XploreAsia also helped me fully realize why I came to Thailand. I realized that I was taking a spiritual and mental journey as well as physical and I was able to reflect and release my fears.

I would like for placement only participants to have more time to be able to prepare to move to their new towns before they had to begin teaching so that we would have more time to adjust.

Brittany
Phetchabun, Thailand
College of William and Mary

Supportive, friendly team for placement-only program!

I only completed the one-week orientation and job placement aspect of the XploreAsia program, so I can't speak to the quality of the TESOL course. I had already completed my TESOL course (online through a different program), and just needed the job placement assistance.

The one-week orientation was really helpful to learn more about Thai culture, and also to make a few friends in Thailand! The XploreAsia staff is awesome - they're all incredibly understanding, compassionate, and personable. Even though the placement process is quick and a bit overwhelming, I felt like they really listened to what I wanted, and I ended up being placed in a city that is a great match for me. I think that what sets the XploreAsia program apart is the openness of the staff - they're quick to share their own personal stories, and they talk about teaching in Thailand as not only a job, but also a sort of spiritual journey. I found myself wishing I had signed up for the TESOL course, just so I could learn more about Thailand from them!

Robert
Edmonton

Live it!

Well here I go.

I came over here looking for n adventure, and boy did I get one. I have been to Thailand before, but for other reasons. this time I got to meet people from all over the world, with the same intentions s me.

First of all, I cleared my head of anything that I thought was going to happen. start with a clean slate as it were. sometimes you think something will happen one way and it takes a 180 and brings you down a road that is not what you wanted, but is equally if not more charming. you think things aren’t good? step back and look where you re. you have a beautiful beach, booze everywhere and all at a fraction of the cost of wherever you my come from. Shure you will run into problems ie language barrier, traffic, and so on. Don't think that you don't have problems at home. These are problems in a different form is all. They will let you redefine yourself as a person concerning these issues. You will grow as a person.

I’m from Canada, and I thought that we were nice. Not even in the same ballpark as the Thai. These people will literally take hours out of their day to accommodate what ever issue you have trouble with. I have never seen a group of people so happy just to wake up every day. In saying that, don't sweat the little stuff, and it is all little stuff. Their kindness will rub off, and the mount of dopamine in your system will flood. Sort of a state of nirvana if you will. I got this my first week at the school.

If you’re scared, that is good! I think you should be out of your comfort zone! Who wants to be another sheep in life? If you came for n adventure, this is the place to do it. I said to myself good or bad, I just want an adventure. So far, because of my mind set it has been all good, and will be a beautiful chapter in my memoirs.

Be open minded, be bold, be afraid! These re all natural emotions. Don't think this isn't like home and get pouty!! This isn't like home. If you can’t find happiness in Thailand, you will never find it anywhere. live it, marinate in it, soak it up boys and girls! Have the best time of your life, you will never forget it.

Leaya
Krabi, Thailand.
Wilfrid Laurier University

Amazing experience with XploreAsia and as a teacher in Thailand!

I completed the one-week orientation with XploreAsia before heading onward to placement. From personal experience, becoming an XploreAsia member and teacher guarantees a support team, credibility, ongoing guidance, and the opportunity to create lifelong friendships. Beyond the many activities and excursions offered, the XploreAsia team took the time to listen and work with me to place me in the best position seen fit. I was placed in the south of Thailand, just as I hoped for, and it couldn’t have worked out better. I’m the only foreigner in a small town, living with the director and his family on school property. This may seem unappealing to some, and at first, I was skeptical too. However, that changed almost immediately as I was warmly welcomed into the family and into the community. I am so grateful for how the placement turned out and I wouldn’t change a thing. I am fully immersed in the Thai culture, the language, the pace of life, the community and family events, and the overall reciprocal generosity and kindness of the Lumthap community. At my school, I teach a lot of students in a span of a week, which at first, was nerve-racking as I thought it would be an impersonal experience and extremely difficult to remember any of my students. This is so far from the reality of it. The students are all so unique and silly with such strong personalities and big hearts. Even the mischievous students will win a special place in your heart. They are impossible to forget and you will quickly develop a bond with many of them. Of course there are tough days and tough classes and tough students and this will make you second-guess why you ever made the decision to teach in Thailand. But then the littlest occurrences happen, like your host family or coworkers bringing you your favourite mangoes, or a student making you a key chain or a bracelet, or the moments of pure joy when the students understand what you’ve taught them or their excitement when it’s time to play a game, or even just walking down the street and noticing all the excited smiles and “hello’s” you receive. These little occurrences will happen and immediately reassure you that you not only made the right decision but possibly the most rewarding decision of your life.

Alexandra
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Bloomsburg University

Highly recommend XploreAsia!

I can honestly say that going through XploreAsia and having their awesome staff guide me through each process has helped me incredibly in regard to adapting to Thai culture and teaching here. I was somewhat uncomfortable about the idea of moving to Thailand and teaching, because I have never done something so bold before. The staff welcomes each person into their course and close-knit family with open arms, making the transition not only comfortable, but super exciting and fun too. Their TESOL course offers so much variety to help you get assimilated more easily, including fun excursions, Thai language classes, and very helpful teaching lessons and materials. If this is something you are considering doing, I highly suggest that you take a chance and go through them. This has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life so far.

Michelle
Prakhon Chai, Buriram, Thailand
Robert Gordon University

Take a chance, Try something new!

So I just completed my TESOL course with XploreAsia in December 2015, and started my placement in Prakhon Chai, Thailand. The whole process start to finish was well structured and organised. (The first part of the process for me was go through Gap360, another reliable and friendly company) Prior to arriving in Thailand I received helpful emails and guidebooks with information from XploreAsia and there was someone there to pick me up from the airport to. I was then taken to Hua Hin where I met some amazing people who I would be living with for the next month while doing my course. The course has definitely improved my confidence as we were doing lots of presentations (it might sound scary but everyone's in the same boat) the placement team at XploreAsia are also great, they try their best to answer your questions and support you even after you have finished the course. I would say the best thing about XploreAsia is their willingness to share previous experiences and prepare you not only to be a good teacher but also to deal with the culture shock many people face whilst living in Thailand.

In the first week, we did loads of excursions and learned a lot about the culture. We also had culture talks which were great, but more of these would have been something I would have liked!

Kayleigh
Bangkok, Thailand
Randolph College

Take the Leap, TESOL with Xplore Asia Will Change Your Life

Deciding to come to Thailand and teach is a life changing decision, Xplore Asia is an excellent company to help you make those changes. I had very little knowledge on Xplore Asia before coming over, I came through Greenheart Travel (who were also amazing) who gave me little information on the transfer to Xplore Asia. However, this effected my TESOL and life thus far in Thailand very little and should not be an issue or something to hold you back.

The driver was waiting when we got off our flight, we loaded up in a van and went straight to the hotel. The hotel, H-Residence was nice and in a great area for seeing the city if you decide to fly in early like I did. I highly suggest staying with Xplore Asia group at the hotel because it gives you a awesome opportunity to get to know some people and see the “touristy” things in Bangkok with a group. We were fed breakfast every morning I was there, and the final morning you load up into a minivan with people from your group and make your way to Hua Hin.

Upon arrival in Hua Hin things got quite rushed. We threw our things into our accomodation (I lived in the big Soi 33 house), jumped back in the van, were given a quick run down of the way our mall trip would go and then dropped off at the mall to get supplies. It was a little overwhelming buying things for a house you hadn’t really seen. Just buy what you need and then figure it out as you go through your month, GET TOILET PAPER and WATER.

The first week of the course was the orientation. It was an incredible experience and is a great time to get to know the
group of people you will be spending the next month in class with, the people who will become one of your most valuable networks in Thailand over your stay here.

Mike does a great job with Thai culture classes, and they are actually interesting! The excursions are amazing (the elephant sanctuary, pineapple farm, art village, rescue paws, etc.). At the end of the week there is a beach BBQ, it is tons of fun.

Once the TESOL starts you will have A LOT of work. There are homework assignments almost daily. Sometimes you will be working in groups, with a partner, or alone. I had Jon Harman as my course instructor, I felt fully prepared to walk into the English camp and teach three solo lessons to middle/high school students. Across the board I heard very positive things about the instructors. They are very passionate about what they are doing and really want you to be an amazing teacher so they invest a large chunk of time into molding each student.

By the time the TESOL is over you feel confident and prepared for whatever placement may be thrown at you. With a Drop Box full of lessons from Kindergarten to High School level, you know you will not be walking into a school without something prepared. I do wish the course covered a little more on private schools with curriculums. The TESOL certainly prepares you for teaching, but we spent a large portion of time covering worst case scenarios and a lot of my group actually ended up with really nice placements in private schools, EP programs, and International Schools.

My overall experience with Xplore Asia was amazing, I would 100% recommend them to anyone considering teaching in Thailand. However, the things I think could use improvement. . .

Cell Phones. This was a disaster from the start. No one at the cell phone company spoke english and none of us spoke Thai. Some people wound up with cell phones with no data, some with no calling/texting ability. Some people ended up on plans, some ended up pay as you go. No one really knew what they were signing up for. The Sim card Xplore Asia provides you with did not fit most people’s smart phones and was therefore useless. I am certain Mike and his staff will have the kinks worked out with this soon, if they haven’t already.

Placements. I came over in the largest group that Xplore Asia has ever accommodated. That being said, they seemed slightly underprepared for the monumental task of placing 210 teachers in schools. The placement team did an excellent job, but placements took quite some time to secure. Some people had no confirmations up to the very end of their stay. I was lucky enough to secure a nice placement. Though, they take very little actual regard for where you would like to be placed (which winds up being a really cool thing). Do not expect to list off a city, or even a region, and actually wind up being placed there. It is considerably harder for them to place people who come over in pairs or triads. I came over with a friend and we wound up separating because the last week we had no confirmed placement. Upon separating we found placements immediately. Travel is cheap and easy here, so do not let being placed away from your friends discourage you. The placement team works really hard, but everything is very up in the air and no one really prepares you for that.

You have to remember you are in Thailand, and occasionally terrible things happen. Xplore Asia staff needed prompting from TESOL students to address and help handle these issues. Once they were prompted, the staff acted completely supportive and were more than willing to help in anyway.

Xplore Asia is a great company. They provide you with a network of people who are willing to help you throughout your stay here. They create an environment that fosters learning. The whole group is very interested in making you the best you can be so that your experience in Thailand is amazing. At the end of the day, despite the few hiccups (remember the few bad things just make the good, that much better!), they want success for you. Their system is wonderful and allows you the perfect amount of time to get comfortable teaching and make great friends. When you graduate you will have an entire network of people to spend weekends and Holidays exploring Thailand with. If you are considering using Xplore Asia, DO IT!

Listed above. It is a wonderful program with amazing people.

Amanda
New York

Great!

The program was great! Very helpful and prepared me well for teaching in Thailand! Staff was great always on top of things and gave us all the information needed for the course and for the placement. The course was a little to short for the amount of work needed to be prepared but we were able to practice in a classroom for a couple of days which taught us more than a book could ever teach. The orientation week was wonderful. It brought us into te culture before we were thrown into the teaching aspect of why we came here. To learn about the history and culture helped a lot with making lessons and learning more about what our students could be like before we started teaching.

Ari
Chiang Mai, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Biola University

Unleashing Adventure

Living in Thailand has the potential to surprise you at every single turn. When I was first placed in Thailand, I was in a small semi-rural town in central Thailand. I used every single moment of free time to explore every inch of that town. One of these occasions, I was driving right before sunset, and ended up discovering a beautiful spot right along the river. It soon became my go-to spot to relax and watch the sun go down. One day, a few locals approached me and we started talking about how I had come to live in that town - This was all in incredibly broken English and using A LOT of hand gestures. This would soon turn into a regular thing where I would go to watch the sunset and the same locals would come out to talk.Over the course of the semester we became such good friends that they would invite me over to dinner or for drinks after the sun had set. We became good friends after that and they are still people that I talk to to this day. Who knew that something as simple as finding a place to watch the sunset would blossom into such an awesome friendship.

Moving to Thailand is one of the most freeing things you can do. It's chill and go with flow attitude are key to letting yourself unlock your untapped adventure potential. So take the leap! You won't regret putting yourself out there.

I think that the program could work more on communication with students during the TESOL program and during the culture course.
I also think, that if there was a way to integrate more Thai lessons, during the course, that would have improved my experience.

Megan
Knoxville, Tennessee
University of Salamanca

Had an overall very positive experience

I completed the October 2015 TESOL course in Chiang Mai. The course was more expensive than if I would have completed it online, but I think I got a lot more out of it doing it in person in Thailand. Not only was I taught by a TESOL instructor who had first hand experience teaching and living in Thailand, I also got the opportunity to practice teaching in front of my peers, as well as, working 2 days in an English camp. There is also a cultural element to this course. I got to go on a few excursions and learn about Thai cultural norms from people who have lived in Thailand for years and really understand the language and culture. On top of all of that, I met some great people from the program who I will be lifelong friends with. You can't really put a price tag on the benefits of having a support system of people who can relate to everything you are experiencing because they are living it too! The safety net of having a guaranteed job is also nice! Going back, I would decide to go through this company all over again.

Myles
Thailand
Salem State University

A Great Experience

Let me start by saying that XploreAsia runs an excellent program. The culture classes help by starting you off on the right foot in a new country with very different customs than the United States. The orientation week is full of wonderful little excursions and tours which cover everything from touristy markets to an elephant sanctuary. They also provide excellent accommodation for the duration of the program at a very reasonable cost.
The TESOL course itself varies based on your specific instructor, but in my experience it was very thorough, detailed and comprehensive. Our instructor genuinely cared about our progress through the course and presented us with challenges that we were sure to later face as teachers. I would strongly recommend paying attention. Have I used everything I learned while teaching? No. But it helped me think outside the box when coming up with lesson plans despite not actually following the methods of XploreAsia TESOL.

A more thorough acceptance process. I know that certain 3rd party organizations provide XploreAsia with TESOL students, but many of the people in the course have no business being around kids. If you want to get hammered every day, don't be a teacher.

Erin
Ayutthaya, Thailand
Lawrence University

Fun and Stress Free

The team at XploreAsia is absolutely brilliant. They tick all the important boxes for creating a positive experience in Thailand by how they seamlessly guide everyone through the basics, from setting up boring stuff like phones and bank accounts to teaching language and culture and, most importantly, placing their charges in teaching positions around the country. Could I have just come to Thailand and found a job on my own? Definitely! But I wouldn't have been nearly as prepared and I doubt that I would have landed my dream job one week after arriving in the country, because of XploreAsia my past 6 months have been filled with travel and more teaching than I can handle (almost!). I highly recommend this group to anyone who is serious about having the time of their life while teaching in Thailand.

It would be fabulous if XploreAsia could have a program just for those of us being placed after 1 week and not going on to the 1 month TEFL course.

Avery
University of Richmond

The Only Way to Teach in Thailand

I took the TESOL course by XploreAsia in July and LOVED every second of it. We had a great, electic mix of people in our group and everyone at XploreAsia was constantly friendly, helpful, and informative for our month together. They had no trouble placing my friend and I together and I felt as prepared as possible going into my teaching job.

Now, a few months later, I feel even more fortunate that I went through XploreAsia. I've heard horror stories from people who went through other TESOL companies and weren't given any help with Thai language or culture, transportation, or banking. While none of that is necessarily the responsibility of the TESOL provider, XploreAsia did go above and beyond by providing us with all three, making the transition to a new country that much easier. And now, I still feel comfortable reaching out to someone at XploreAsia if I have any questions. What's more, there is a great Facebook group that allows teachers to share advice on teaching, traveling, work permits, etc. that is all awesome information to have access to.

For anyone looking into TESOL courses in Thailand, XploreAsia is without a doubt the best company to use. They go above and beyond and it really pays off for everyone involved.

Theo
Thoen Thailand

Fantastic TESOL Course in Thailand

I had a great time. Made so many new friends. Got involved with the culture and saw beautiful places. You can not ask for more than that. Great facilities, great teacher, great staff and a smooth placement.

Avery
Richmond, Virginia
University of Richmond

Once in a Lifetime

The XploreAsia TESOL course is a brilliant program, designed to push individuals towards their full teaching potential in a safe, fun, and encouraging environment. I think I worked harder every single day and enjoyed each day more than the one before it. It's amazing what good energy you get when you place people from different countries in one room in a foreign country, all with the same crazy goal of teaching English. I can't imagine finding such a life-changing experience through any other program.

More discussion time on making lesson plans for various age groups

Elmarie
Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa

A Dream come true.

I wanted to do this 10 years ago when I finished school but I always made the safe choices in life. Now 10 years later I decided to do all the things I always wanted to. I am glad how things turned out, I dont think it would have meant the same for me 10 years ago, now that I have lived and got stuck in a rat race. There's so much purpose doing what we do. To think I have a part to play in so many young learners life it makes everyday worth while.

I really liked how everything came together, and the team thought of all the detail which I didn't even think about. I just found the recommended spending amount wasn't enough. With that said I am sure each person's experience and where they get placed plays a role in it as well.

Rachel
Wangnua, Lampang, Thailand
University of Texas- Austin

Great Experience, Best Decision!

I have always wanted to do something different and outside of my comfort zone, but for the longest time was too afraid to do it. Once you get through the initial push of adventuring off into the unknown, the hard part is over. XploreAsia made this transition as easy as it possibly could have been. While I knew I was going to get an experience, I didn't realize just how life changing a few weeks could be. I have made friends, learned amazing things about Thai culture, and have gained a new perspective of the world that you just can't get anywhere else. Teaching in Thailand allows you to view other people, education, and yourself in an entirely new way. It's so rewarding to see how valuable your work is seen and to feel like you are actually making a difference. I can easily say this is right where I need to be and this has been the best decision of my life. Living in a small rural town has it's challenges, as does moving to a new country in general, but I really believe that I couldn't have been placed in a better situation. I love it here! Truly anyone is capable of doing something like this, and XploreAsia gives you everything you need to succeed even if you've had no prior teaching experience like me.

Communication is always going to be a challenge when working with people from another culture. This applies to applicants and staff. We were warned that communication between schools, agents, and XploreAsia staff would be slow at times, but a daily update would be nice even if there is no update at all. Just a quick line to let participants know that they are waiting to hear back from the school or agent would be enough.

Response from XploreAsia

Thank you for your feedback on the communication process. Whilst it is difficult to keep everyone up to date on a daily basis we are implementing new systems where we update everyone much more regularly.

Have a great time teaching!

Maegan
Colorado Springs, CO
Texas A&M University

Wonderful Teaching Experience

Having been a teacher in the United States for 3 years, I was excited to see how a school system operated in another country. I had no clue what to expect- basing my expectations off of my experiences in America. However, teaching back home was at many times stressful to say the least. The pressure to perform as a teacher was immense. And as much as it is "worth it" to be a teacher, it still left you tired and dry at the end of long days. I was especially nervous coming here because I had little direction of what to teach from the school personnel themselves, and did not know the background knowledge of the students or their English proficiency levels. The first day teaching, my coworkers could tell I was stressed, and told me over and over "Mai pen rai" (don't worry). They believed in me and knew that all I could do was try my best and were there with me every step of the way for anything I needed. Teaching was definitely a challenge, as English levels were very diverse for my classes. But it taught me a lesson that I would not have learned back home. I've learned that as educators, we can only do our best, and to relax and have fun teaching! The kids loved coming to English class, and that passion for the subject material and learning has to be present for students to take initiative in learning. I would suggest this program to anyone, especially someone who is already an educator in their home country. It gives you a new, fresh perspective. For me, it reignited the passion that I have for teaching that I felt I had lost back home.

If I had to change one thing, it would be communication between schools directly, agents, and Xplore Asia. Several things ended up being different than I was told. However, in the end, it was all part of the lesson I continued to learn in how to "just go with it!"

Response from XploreAsia

Hi Maegan thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I do apologise for, and would like to know more about the communication issues you had. Would you mind dropping me a line so we could investigate?

[email protected]

Thanks again and have a great time teaching!

Richard
Det Udom, Thailand
University of Colorado- Boulder

Teaching English In Thailand 2014/2015 - The Best Decision of My Life

I taught English in Thailand in 2014/2015. The reason I chose XploreAsia was because I had a good friend who had completed the TESOL course with them. I trusted her judgement that the program was reputable and had given her a great opportunity to teach in Thailand. This was exactly the case when I went through XploreAsia. The team there did an incredible job helping us prepare to teach a foreign language and eventually placed us all throughout Thailand. I have no complaints about the program and my experience. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering making a wonderful decision to teach English in Thailand.

I really enjoyed every part of the program. I have zero improvements.

Response from XploreAsia

Many thanks for your kind review Richard. I'm so glad you had an amazing time here in Thailand!

Shelby
Canada-British Columbia, in fact! ;)

XploreAsia Fearlessly!

XploreAsia's crew in Thailand was incredibly helpful, supportive, informative, loving, kind, friendly, safe and encouraging! This is to name a few! ;)
If I had any questions, the staff was there to respond quickly.
There was one time where the staff wasn't able to assist me because it was up to my other agent (from a different agency, but a branch from them), which I totally understood. They were still there to support me and give me advice which I appreciated very much! I felt safe and confident while learning from XploreAsia's staff and living in the housing provided. The TESOL Course in Thailand truly was beneficial and a confidence booster, for it eased you into the Thai Culture and warmed you up, so to speak, for the journey you were embarking on! I'd highly recommend this agency to anyone, especially if you're traveling solo like I was (and I was a first timer!). ;) Cheers!!! XOXOX :D - Shelby B

I would have the agency branching from them (Global Work and Travel Co.) have some agents working weekends, for when I was in need of assistance on a Sunday, they were unavailable and it worried me. It worried me because I needed to get home ASAP for a family emergency and my Visa was running out...but it all worked out in the end. I just would have agents working weekends for sure. :)

Thank you!! :D

Response from XploreAsia

Hi Shelby, thank you for your review.

We ensure now that all of our participants have our contact details so they can contact us here at XploreAsia directly in case of any emergency.

I'm sure you would agree from your experience that for us, XploreAsia is a 24/7 job and we wouldn't have it any other way!

Daniel
Hat Yai, Songkla

My TESOL experience

I had a various amounts of support even now that I'm in my placement, the xploreasia team did a wonderful job! I'm confident to tackle any situation thanks to the staff and tools I have gained through tesol!
Austin was very patient and understanding, his technique of confidence never left me worried to go into teaching! A very energy filled excited individual that always wanted me to stay and learn more!

Phil Parker did a wonderful job with the many questions and concerns our group had, he was a delight to work with! Always making sure that we had been taken care of! If it was knowledge in the city we were at to any other question that needed answers.... Phil was your guy! A

This is just two of the outstanding team members that I had the pleasure of learning under! The xploreasia team has made me reach out to friends and family to recommend! Wonderful experience with a professional company ! Thanks for the tools to help me succeed Xploreasia!! Loving life as a teacher!

Katharine
Ranong, Thailand
Western New England College

XploreAsia

XploreAsia was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. The month long course was incredible. It thoroughly prepared me for teaching in a classroom setting as well as understanding more about the Thai culture. Every class during the course is fun and engaging; it allows you to be creative with your lessons while also getting constructive feedback to better them. XploreAsia also provides a great network of teachers and friends. During my time at XploreAsia I have never felt more at home while being away from home.

One big improvement that I would make would be the screening process of applicants.

Jody
Colorado
University of Colorado- Boulder

Awesome Program

XploreAsia was absolutely amazing. The TESOL course was comprehensive and thorough but completely manageable. Even with a teaching degree I could not imagine teaching in Thailand without the skills and knowledge that XploreAsia equipped me with. Their teaching and methodology is specific and relevant to exactly what you will encounter in a Thai classroom. They will provide you with the training and resources to prepare English lessons suitable for the ability levels you will be working with. Beyond the teaching side of TESOL, the orientation with XploreAsia was fantastic. We went on excursions to an elephant sanctuary, pineapple farm, a beautiful temple, an Art VIllage and the beach in Hua Hin. The people I have met through this program have made my experience unforgettable. From my TESOL classmates to the XploreAsia staff, I feel very fortunate to have gone through such a dedicated, supportive, and trustworthy company.

More transparency about working with XploreAsia once in Thailand would be appreciated. I didn't even know that this was the program I would be affiliated with since I came to Thailand through a different company.

Michael
Thung Song, Thailand
Iowa State University

Unforgettable Beginning to the Adventure of a Lifetime

Initially I planned to show up Thailand with no friends, zero teaching experience and nothing more than an online TEFL certification. Instead I did the April course in Hua Hin (the largest course of the year), and it's one of the best decisions I have ever made... More on that later. First, a rundown of the course:

There was a Blue Team, Yellow Team and Red Team, all living in four or five different houses spread out in Hua Hin. Each team had around thirty people from all over the world. Class was usually eight hours a day, six days a week, held in a primary school downtown.

The course focused mainly on giving us the opportunity to get in front of a class and present a typical English lesson. There were very few PowerPoints or lectures. One student would present a speaking, listening or reading lesson of their making, the class and instructor would observe and participate and play the role of a Thai student, then at the end of the lesson constructive feedback was given.

Towards the end of the course, all students participate in a three-day English camp held at two different schools, one primary and one kindergarten, and it's an incredibly rewarding hands-on learning experience.

Fundamentally, the purpose of the XploreAsia course is to provide you the opportunity to gain real experience teaching in a classroom rather than just studying teaching methods from a book or listening to monotonous lectures.

Inside and outside the classroom, the XploreAsia staff was always dedicated to helping the students become the best teacher they can be... To overcome personal problems, fears, insecurities, uncertainties and everything else. First and foremost they are there to shape you into a good teacher, but they are also there to just be a good friend.

The opportunity to make life-long friends is one of the best things about the course. Your classmates become your family... the people you eat, sleep and drink with, laugh with, share stories and fears and dreams with... All in just one month.

At the end of course, students receive their placements—something the XploreAsia staff works on continuously from day one—and then everyone sets off on a new adventure somewhere else in the country.

The XploreAsia team is driven by deeply moral causes and visibly passionate about teaching and traveling and becoming better global citizens. Anyone who takes the course seriously will find that this dedication and passion overflows into them, making them not just a good teacher, but a better person.

And that is why choosing to do the XploreAsia course was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Two introductory Thai language lessons are provided, but more would be nice.

Danielle
South Africa
Rhodes University

Worthwhile & Unforgettable Experience!

Upon first arriving in Thailand I wasn't sure what to expect from a month long orientation in Chiang Mai. However, now that the course is over and I begin to teaching at my placement, I am sad to leave the friends and awesome memories I have made behind! Overall the whole process has been easy, well communicated, fun and unforgettable! I have learnt so much about working with others, Thai language and culture and more importantly, about myself. I recently did a home stay after orientation and it was the best thing ever! Staying with a Thai family really showed me the meaning of family, teaching and friendship, as well as introduced me to home style Thai cooking! All in all I have no regrets about this course and am really grateful for the experience and even more excited for the opportunities teaching abroad in Thailand brings! :D

Carla
Miami, Florida
University of Maryland

More than just teaching English

My TESOL course experience was very refreshing, it allowed me to acclimatize to my new environment - but most importantly, I made my closest friends while completing TESOL.

You will end up getting a really cool certificate that states that you can teach English to non-English speakers. Not only that, but guess what? You can teach English anywhere in the world! My certificate came handy when I taught English in Spain. It also takes a massive bullet point on my resume, which of course, is a bonus.

You will get really awesome recommendations from your TESOL instructor, Jaco. He wants you to succeed, and will do everything in his power to make you the best teacher out there. You will walk in, unsure of how to "teach", but let me tell you, after 120 hours, you will march out, as a confident teacher, ready to take over the world.

You will end up loving Hua Hin. I mean, what's not to love? It is a small beach town, small enough to get around - but big enough to explore. You won't get bored during the weekends, unless that's your thing. You are 2 hours away from BKK, minutes away from really cool temples, go for a jog, or horse back riding. Or simply, enjoy the beach.

The most important part of TESOL are the connections you will make during those 120 hours. You will end up meeting all sorts of characters. Soon, you will be crossing country borders with your mates vacationing in Koh Chang, getting scuba certified in Koh Tao...

You will be celebrating birthdays, Christmas, new years with your buddies from TESOL, and they will become a big part of your experience in Thailand.

There is a big Xplore Asia teacher network, and most people are happy to be friends with you, and guide you throughout your journey. So - please, don't be shy. Facebook them, email them, and ask them
'what's up?' You will end up meeting great people from diverse backgrounds.

At the end of the course, you will be confident to stand in front of 40 students and do the Gangnam Style.

Best of luck!

More camps, maybe?

contact

XploreAsia was founded by educators who are passionate about teaching English and giving back to local communities. We specialize in providing a life-changing adventure by living, teaching, and volunteering abroad. We offer internationally accredited TESOL/TEFL certification courses, job placement assistance, sustainable volunteer placements, home stay