APAX English (April) Teacher

A fantastic opportunity to kickstart or further your ESL career in the beautiful, unique country of Vietnam. APAX English operates in a range of provinces across the northern, middle, and southern regions.

APAX English offers three unique, innovative programs: iGarten, April and 4.0. April is our flagship program which exploded onto the Vietnamese education scene from Korea in May 2015.

We take pride in giving both experienced and inexperienced teachers the opportunity to deliver effective and engaging lessons to students of various skill levels, ages 5 to 15. The April program provides the kind of structure and effective methodology rare in English education in Vietnam. With lesson plans prearranged and programmed into a smart board, teachers can focus on meeting the individual needs of their students, and have a lot of fun while doing it!

This is the perfect program to kick-start or further develop your EFL career; apply today and see what opportunities we have.

Make it happen.

• Highly competitive salary for 18 teaching hours and 2 days off per week
  • A chance to explore cities you wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to in a range of provinces: coastal, urban, and rural
  • Full support from application through contract completion, including the work permit and residency card process
  • Fun, innovative and technology-focused teaching methods, with a unique approach encouraging creativity and expression: the students learn primarily through games, activities and projects
  • Positive personal experience in addition to professional development opportunities

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 8.5
Ezra

Great First English Teaching Experience!

I taught for APAX for a year, and had - on the whole - a fantastic time. I was a teacher for a while and then became a headteacher for the rest of my contract. Being a teacher when I started and when APAX was quite new to Vietnam was pretty good. It was only in Hanoi and HCMC in 2016, but now it's gotten a lot better and has spread out all over the country, so you can teach in loads of different provinces and cities. It's now probably one of the biggest centres, if not the biggest. Teachers now get two days off instead of one, and the schedule is very manageable on the days you're teaching. There's no lesson planning, you get all the support you need, and your teaching hours are 18 a week. I have friends from and talk to people who work for the other big centres and most say APAX is the best for pay and getting a good experience.

When I became a headteacher, most teachers were great to manage and got on with it. The centre itself was enjoyable to work with too - from the branch manager and sales to the CSOs, and I was lucky to have such great colleagues from when I got to the centre (with a welcoming, decent headteacher) to when I finished up there. All the Vietnamese staff are very supportive and friendly, and they're really fun to work with.

If I'd have carried on teaching I would've looked into moving into the 4.0 program which is newer and focused on older learners, as I got on best with the more advanced classes in April (Sprout and up), and there are fewer than these. For first-time teachers though, and especially if you like teaching kids up to early teens, you won't get a better job with decent pay than this.

- Upper management should give a bit more transparency to teachers when they know about bad situations affecting the company (like legal changes in Vietnam)
- More early upper level/CTP guidance if possible: I know it's a struggle to get through in training with everything trainees need to know before they teach, but maybe in on-going training this can be covered more (it might've changed since I left)
- The program itself can sometimes get a bit repetitive. I moved onto being a headteacher quite soon after being a teacher, and a lot of teachers enjoy the stability, but maybe a bit more creative freedom would go a long way to making teachers enjoy the lessons more, and the kids remaining engaged and staying on after a term
Tim

"Overall great job, quite easy, best of the big ESL companies in Vietnam"

I have been working at APAX English full-time

Pros
- 18 teaching hours a week with a good amount of variety between classes
- At least 2 days off a week and getting more time off is quite easy
- No lesson planning/prep is minimal
- Comparatively high salary; most of my friends in other schools make much less
- Stable and consistent work/scheduling; no last-minute call-outs
- Lots of overtime opportunities if you're into that kind of thing
- Freedom to bring your own content into may of the classes
- Friendly, supportive environment from both management and teachers
- They say that contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on in Southeast Asia; with APAX, there's a real effort to make sure the contract is honored
- Try to accommodate your needs as best they can (if you want to travel mid-contract etc.)

Cons
- Setup costs of moving to another country can be prohibitive and the work permit process can be onerous
- Lots to take in on training week in a short space of time (but the trainers are awesome and make it so much easier and more fun!)
- Can take a little bit of time to get into the swing of it and get comfortable with the schedule, but once you do it's plain sailing

About APAX English

APAX English launched in Vietnam in May 2015 and has been continuously expanding ever since. Our bold, innovative curriculum and high standards for class quality have raised the bar of English education in Vietnam. Our curriculum and program began in...