Shanghai 120-hour Classroom TEFL Course

Teacher Link and Teaching Nomad offer a unique classroom TEFL course in Shanghai, China. The 4-week program will prepare you for your guaranteed teaching job upon completion of the course.

While you're completing the theory and teaching practice, one of our Teaching Nomad recruiters will be searching for teaching jobs on your behalf. You'll be able to choose between a number of different options, and once you've decided, you can start teaching right after you finish your training!

The TEFL course includes a minimum of 6 hours of observed teaching practice, 24 observations of both experienced and newer teachers, foreign language classes, one on one sessions with individual students, and practical contract negotiation/interview skills training sessions.

During the course teaching practice, you'll work with small groups of 4-10 students, as well as with larger classes of 20-40 students. You can indicate your class size preference when it comes to the teaching practice.

• Guaranteed job placement
  • Access to the best tutoring jobs in Shanghai through our extensive alumni network
  • Observed teaching practice with feedback from experienced ESL trainers
  • Access to hundreds of videos of professional teachers teaching Chinese students

18 years old is generally the minimum age. However, for the job placement portion you would need to have completed a BA degree. We've had many trainees between the ages of 18-21 that usually stay in Shanghai/China for anywhere from 30 days to a few months as a tourist.

Yes, non-native speakers are always welcome, however our ability to provide guaranteed job placement service is evaluated on a case by case basis. I suggest to apply at https://teacherlink.teachingnomad.com to speak with the enrollment adviser.

• Benefits 9
  • Facilities 9
  • Instruction 8.9
  • Academic Rigor 8
  • Job Assistance 8.7
Michelle

You should take this course over an online course

The real teaching experience we gained from this course was invaluable. Compared to many people we've met who have done online TEFL programs, even with no prior teaching experience, we came out of this much more prepared, confident, and knowledgable. The staff were tremendous help not only with teaching, but also living and adjusting to life abroad. Any time we needed help we had multiple hands reaching out to offer assistance. We were initially worried that we would have trouble finding jobs, but then with the assistance we got we had multiple job offers before our TEFL course was even over. I would also suggest this over an online TEFL because you gain so much more by immersing yourself into the culture/country you are planning on teaching. It was much quicker for us to get jobs because we already abroad; companies LOVED that and wanted us even more!

More teaching time compared to lecture time. A "welcome to China" orientation with EVERYTHING you need to know/do (WeChat, Alipay, Metro, etc). would be helpful for everyone.
Tedros

TEFL course with Teaching Nomad

I can't talk enough about the team of professionals Teaching Nomad staff is composed of. The Teaching Nomad experience started even before I arrived in Shanghai. I was provided with accurate information about the course, work and life once here and more. There was continuous follow up and assistance till I got here.

Once here, transportation was provided to take me to where I was staying.

Once here. They made sure that my papers were in order. I had help whenever I needed it. Not just class time but setting up my Bank account, school, permits, SIM cards car and coffee, tea, lunch. I have never seen such hospitality.

The instructions included in-class instructions as well as teaching actual students with up to two Teaching Nomad coaches. The best kind of instruction one can hope for. I was able to teach from just a few students to a full class of students. I was surrounded with Teaching Nomad teachers at all times at times more than one teacher to coach and point out what I could do better. Trainers were available at all times. I reached out to Teaching Nomad staff at all times. They responded, regardless of time of day or day of the week.

I would like to mention a few of the names of the people I was taught and coached by.

Ginger. Thank you for being there at all times. Day, night, weekdays and weekends. From start to finish including searching for a job. Ginger goes way above and way beyond anyone I have come across. Ginger made sure every aspect of being here and being successful was his main goal. He sacrificed his spare time and sleep just to make sure even my personal affairs were in order. Ginger does not wait for someone to ask, he knows what’s needed and constantly offered his assistance. Saying Ginger goes above and beyond what’s expected is a major under-statement.

Nik. I can’t thank Nik enough. He constantly coached, guided with patience and knowledge. Nik followed up closely and advised to make sure not only I succeeded but thrived as well. He was always within reach and has a way of making complicated things simple. He is constantly encouraging, coaching, provides a wealth of information and encouragement that can Doug. The coaching, and advice and encouragement Doug provided was invaluable. Doug has a way of making mistakes into learning opportunities to make one do better. Doug’s assistance did not end with teaching, he provided me with several opportunities to see hockey games, offered to assist with finding an apartment and had good information on anything I wanted to know.

I just mentioned the few people I had an opportunity and the honor to work with. There were more and they were all very helpful and happy to assist in any way.

Thank you Teaching Nomad! It was truly and honor to have been taught by you.

Keep up the good work!

Nothing to improve. TN works day and night literally to make sure everything is taken care of. keep up the good work!!
Wendy

My One-Month TEFL Experience

My course started from Feb. 27th to Mar. 23rd. During this period, I have learnt a foreign language, studied a set of TEFL materials, put my teaching skills in practice, got feedback from the trainers and my classmates, and I have made friends with people around the world. To sum up, I have improved a lot in my teaching skills with effective feedback given from the trainers and had lots of fun with people around me.

To keep refreshing your ideas from time to time.
Derek

120 HR TEFL Shanghai 1/2018

This was an amazing course. The instructors are insightful, knowledgeable, and very professional. Throughout the entire process Ginger, Nik, and the entire Teaching Nomad team helped me every step of the way. The teaching experiences were practical and will undoubtedly help me in the future. I definitely recommend this course to others that are either just beginning their teaching career, or even to experienced teachers that would like to brush up on their methodologies and learn new approaches to teaching and learning.

Annie

Great training experience

The experiences of teaching both large public school classes as well as small learning center classes was extremely valuable in training as a new teacher. The course was very intensive in the amount of work required, but each exercise was valuable. This course also introduces you to a network of teachers that can then be available for idea sharing or suggestions as you begin a new teaching career.

More structure/ reliability around student attendance for the observed teacher practice at the learning centers would be useful for new teachers. When the same students come to lessons that are supposed to be planned for different ability levels, it can be discouraging while training as a new teacher.

More details up front/prior to course arrival would be helpful related to China document & visa requirements.
Lauren

Excellent

Teaching Nomad's 120hr TEFL course in Shanghai has been an overwhelming, undeniably worthwhile experience. When I started the course, I had very minimal teaching experience and essentially no experience with children. Today, a month later, I feel I could confidently and competently teach a lesson to children, or adults, and go home feeling that the students I taught learned something. At times I wanted to quit, but Ginger and the other instructors provided genuine support and advice, and went out of their way to help however they could. I'm appreciative of the experience and mentors this program provided me, and I strongly recommend the course to anyone who is considering teaching in China.

This is a great program. Trust the process. You definitely get out of it what you put into it.
Jay

Teaching Nomad's Shanghai Program

Now, there were several times I felt a bit overwhelmed to be entirely honest, however, this may mostly be due to my lack of travel experience, and the fact that I got sick during the final weeks of the program. I really enjoyed the program and feel they fulfilled every promise they made, even going beyond in several cases. Outside of an awesome classroom experience, I felt they genuinely cared about me as an individual as they helped me get medication, and other things I need to enjoy my time there. One even went so far as to get me some bao (Chinese dumplings) form what is considered one of the best bao shops in Shanghai because he knew how much I enjoy them. Beyond the standard content of the program, they pushed us to teach as many times as they could make opportunities for us to teach, they helped us plan lessons, coordinate materials form flash cards to games, and made sure we got experience (or opportunities) to teach in individual, small groups, and larger groups of students. It was a truly enlightening experience pushing beyond comfort zones and promoting learning as teachers and students. I cannot recommend this program enough and I feel my words fail to describe how awesome it was. I know if you chose to get you TEFL with teaching nomads Shanghai program you won't regret it.

I am a little uncertain at this point. Nothing is perfect but they did very good. Really to me there are some things that need fine tuning, but nothing major can be improved. During, my time they had an employee on maternity leave, which caused some understandable problems early on because the head of the program had additional tasks, and questions form us students that I am sure that he wasn't used to (like my need for distilled water). Once that was communicated to us as students and that we just needed to ask other staff members for help, we received the help needed to fill the role of the missing person.
Li

A good experience for a ready to be teacher

The reason at first I choose this course is because I value its emphasis on teaching experience. So it did. The trainees helped and encouraged me a lot in my way improving. I learned a lot from their enthusiasm and passion. The trainees here all have good characters, easy to get along with and open-minded. I sometimes cannot catch up due to language barriers, but they are always there for feedback.
The kids are nice. They are adorable and lovely. I enjoyed teaching with them, although sometimes they can be naughty, but in other terms, it helps to my classroom management.
A good choice for whoever wants to be a teacher in the future!

have more varied age students