Hillel Alternative Spring Break Argentina

Hillel Alternative Spring Break Argentina

Volunteer with Hillel in Buenos Aires or Cordoba, Argentina! Hillel's Alternative Breaks programs in Argentina give student volunteers the chance to gain valuable leadership and professional experience in Jewish communities. Volunteer projects range from social justice projects, culture exchange groups, and advocacy for Israel to business clubs and arts and culture programs.

South America » Argentina » Cordoba
South America » Argentina
Project Types
Spanish

m.ruttenberg
Coral Gables, FL

Amazing experience with amazing people

The ASB Hillel trip to Argentina this past spring break was the trip of a lifetime. I decided to join the trip at the last minute and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only did we, as a group, leave an impact on the Argentine community, but every single member of my group left an ever-lasting impact on me. From working together at Yeladainu with underprivledged children to staying up all night together reflecting on our day, I made some amazing friends that I will stay close with for my entire life. Although the trip was not very organized, our group leaders made the most out of the tough situations and always pulled through with an alternative activity to do just in case the first one didn't work out. Our tour guide was also an amazing young woman and became a very close friend of mine in the eight days I knew her. I can honestly say that my trip to Argentina was unlike any trip I have ever experienced.

michael
miami beach fl
Miami University

submerged in culture while doing community service

i love doing community service and argentina is beautiful been there before the trip i went on, as always every time you vista a country there are different things to see and you meet different people. i enjoyed doing it with student from my university. over i loved it

argentina2012

My Argentina Experience with Hillel

The overall experience was amazing! Not only did we get to help out the community in different aspects for example a food bank, medicine bank and foster care but we had the opportunity to see a new country. Going to the Hillel of Argentina allowed us to form connections with community members and learn about life in Argentina as a young adult. The mixture of community service and sight seeing was a rewarding and fun filled! The only down fall was the organization of the trip for example not having a plan B if plan A did not work out!

RobynUMHillel
Miami University

Have fun and connect with C'lal Yisrael

The Hillel ASB Argentina program was an amazing opportunity to do community service, explore the sights of Buenos Aires and gain a deeper understanding of what it means to be connected to our global Jewish family. It is significant to learn about our Jewish valules and traditions and to give context and meaning to the tzedek work, of doing community service in another part of the world. Highly recommneded!!

Maggie
Coral Gables, FL

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The trip was a very eye-opening experience. We worked in the impoverished areas of Buenos Aires and saw what real poverty is. We worked with the orphanage Ieladeinu and played with children who live in households where they are neglected or abused. It was very sad, but at least we had the chance to brighten up their days! We also worked with the organization Tzedakah and worked in a medicine bank. We had the opportunity to meet many people from the community, which was a great highlight.Although we did see the rich and touristy neighborhoods of Buenos Aires, we experienced the city in a real way, getting to see both the good and bad parts. My favorite part of the city was La Boca, which is known for its buildings' bright colors! The city never felt safe and I even got fake money from an ATM, so I am glad I was with a group because I would never travel to the city on my own. Our guide was also a local Argentinian so she was able to tell us what real life in Buenos Aires was like. We also had some fun on the trip. One of my favorite nights, we had tango lessons, a 3-course meal, and then were able to watch a tango show! It was extremely fun!

pen151515
Prague

Great

Such a bueno viaje. Got to use spanish on daily basis and enjoyed the different varieties of foods including churascos. I can admit to myself it wasn't until I spent the day with an orphan tat I could truly be grateful for all that I have. Positive trip. Adios

gjb816
University of Miami

Tourist to Traveller

Traveling to a country in South America and intentionally going to the poorer areas is something I never expected to do. Normally when traveling to other places whether it's with family, friends, or on a program I stay in more wealthy communities where safety is never an issue. This community service trip in Buenos Aires made me realize that when traveling its important to look beyond the tourists site and start exploring the true essence of the community. This chance really gave me the opportunity to interact with the locals and feel apart of Buenos Aires. Volunteering at local food and medicine banks was very rewarding because we were able to see the progress we had made. Another aspect of the trip that was very memorable was our daily teachings. Each morning we started the day by discussing a Jewish value that was relevant to our purpose for being there. Throughout the day I became more conscious of how important these values really are and the effect they have on our lives. This trip was very different than anything else I had ever done and I enjoyed every minute of it. I highly recommend participating in an alternative spring break trip.

Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life works to build an active Jewish community around the world. With programs in South America, Europe, Israel, and Australia, Hillel's goal is to create a strong network of community centers for students. These community-based centers Hillel's volunteers to