Affordable Volunteer Programs in Argentina from $325

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Argentina from $325

Volunteer abroad in Argentina with IVHQ! Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Argentina. Based in the geographical heart of Cordoba Province, volunteers are welcomed to the town of Villa Allende to assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks and are accommodated in a volunteer house alongside other international volunteers.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Argentina:

• Construction and Renovation
  • Sports

Highlights:

• Programs available year-round, starting every Monday
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $325 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Affordable Spanish language lessons available in Argentina
  • Between 5 and 15 IVHQ volunteers start in Argentina each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Argentina with fellow volunteers - see Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and more!
South America » Argentina
Argentina Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

George

IVHQ Argentina

The experience at IVHQ has been an absolute blast as it has allowed me to get outside of my comfort zone and completely immerse myself in a new culture, language, and way of life. Working with different children and seeing the smiles I put on their faces is a life-changing experience for me as it is to them. Salsa class has also been a blast and resulted in many laughs with others while learning the art of salsa dancing. I would like to sincerely thank everyone at IVHQ for the amazing experience.

Natasha

Volunteering in Argentina

This was an incredible program! The hospitality and staff are amazing, they go above and beyond to make you feel at home. I did the program working with children and did not speak Spanish but as long as you are creative and come with a positive attitude you will have the best time with the children. I would suggest taking advantage of the Spanish, Salasa, and Bachata classes the staff can coordinate for you at home as it is a great way to learn about the culture.

Nadine
Ryerson University

Childcare Program Villa Allende, Cordoba

It was my first time volunteering, my first time working with young children for several consecutive days and my first time in Latin America. Despite being full of many firsts, my experience with IVHQ in Villa Allende was amazing - the staff was friendly and helpful, the food was delicious, I had no safety concerns whatsoever and the children and caregivers at my placement were extremely sweet. Thank you for making this an unforgettable experience.

Brendan

bp experience

It was my first time volunteering with young children and being at the daycare with a small group of children was an amazing experience. It was great because we were able to learn about the children on a personal level. After only the first day we knew all the kids names and they knew ours. It was a great pleasure and a very humbling experience that warmed my heart. It was great to be with the children.

Abdullah
Toronto, Canada
Ryerson University

What an experience

We had an incredible time with the IVHQ Argentina program. Everything we expected happened and some! The volunteers, program, people, staff were just incredible. Thank you for everything!

My time here has been amazing, it has impacted me as a human being in many different ways. I did not know what to expect coming here as this was my first time leaving my home country of Canada and doing something like this abroad. I have volunteered with many NGO's before but this is hands down one of my favorites. The people who run this program are very opening and welcoming. If you are reading this consider more than this and do it! It is not something you will regret. The culture and way of life is a whole a new opening door to your life. If you're worried about the food, do not stress amigo it is amazing.

I did not know what to expect coming into this but this program exceeded my expectations on many levels. The hospitality that is provided along with the staff are incredible, they go above and beyond to make you feel like you are at home. Working with the children at the program was very rewarding, I do not speak Spanish but all the children want to do is have fun so as long as you are creative and come with a positive attitude you will love it. There are Spanish, salsa, and bachata classes that the staff can coordinate for you and I highly recommend that you take advantage of it as you get the full experience and understand the culture more.

I would highly recommend this for all. The best part were the children. The most compassionate and loving than Ive ever seen anywhere else. What a blessing it was for all the people who were helping there. The people you meet and the stories you hear from them will stay with you forever.

Whatever project you decide to work with you will learn something valuable and be impacted at a personal level that you can not get anywhere else. Peace and love.

Improvement is always an ongoing challenge. This program is doing a great job in overcoming the natural hardships that come with the role. Just always continue finding good programs to support

Mary
Xiamen, Fujian

IVHQ Argentina

I was very pleased with my time here in Villa Allende and the IVHQ experience as a whole. The support of the staff was nothing short of wondeful, and they were more than willing to go above and beyond to ensure my time here was both safe and enjoyable. I was involved with the Sports program and worked with both Athletics and Basketball groups of children ranging in ages from 4-15. The two leaders of each program were incredibly patient with my still developing Spanish skills, and were always pushing me to become more involved with the program. By the end of my 3 months in these programs i felt at home in each program and had formed strong bonds with both the program leaders and the children I worked with. By the time i was due to leave, saying goodbye to everyone was quite difficult. I will always remember my time in Argentina and give my highest possible recommendation to anyone interested in this program.

More frequent reviews of each placement and how each individual is progressing in their program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mary, Thanks for sharing! We are glad to hear that you had wonderful support from our local team in Argentina and are pleased with your experience. Thank you for recommending IVHQ and for being an awesome volunteer.
Lachlan – IVHQ Argentina Program Manager

Katrina
New York

IVHQ Argentina

My experience volunteering through IVHQ Argentina was incredible! At first I was really nervous about going all alone, however, as soon as I got there the staff made me feel right at home. As well, I met a ton of other volunteers from all over the world. During my journey I never felt homesick because I had so many wonderful people around me. I am very happy that I chose to come here during my gap year. This was the best experience of my life and I wish I could go back!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Katrina, We are stoked to hear that your volunteer program in Argentina was incredible! It is lovely that our local team made you feel right at home as soon as you arrived. We are so happy to have had you as a volunteer and we would love to have you back. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Lachlan – IVHQ Argentina Program Manager

Daniela
Topsfield, MA,USA
University of Rhode Island

robbed of my things but not my experience

My first day in Argentina started with me being robbed of my backpack, passport, money and countless other itmes. While I regret to admit this I called my mom after and told her I wanted to come home. I was in a new country, thousands of miles from home and felt unsafe. Both of my parents encouraged me to stay and I couldnt be happier that I did. Though it has been difficult at times, the people I have met and the experiences I have made are ones that I won´t forget. I know that I will be back to Argentina, and hopefully see more of the country that I have come to love so much.

more availbility for meals

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Daniela, We are so sorry to hear that you were robbed when you arrived in Argentina! Thanks for bouncing back from this and still managing to have an unforgettable experience. We would love to have you join IVHQ again!

Claire-Marie
Gent, Belgium

a piece of family on the other side of the world

I really had a great time here!! The people with who I shared this experience will be friends for a long time. The staff of the house is just perfect: they are always there when you need them, have a (stupid) question or when you need someone to talk to. I did the childcare program for 1 month and than the special need care. Both really different but the people there were great and really welcoming. After two weeks I really felt like a part of the structure of the placement even if you can't always do a lot on the placement. But it is a great opportunity especially if you see the misery those people are into. They are really happy with some help. A tip: Take some spanish lessons, cause it is really handy if you can comunicate with your placement or even with the people of the town.
Argentina is a wanderful country. People are really open and you have sooooo many things to visit and to do. I didn't felt bored in 2 month's time.
Thanks for everything, I'll keep those memories forever in me... CHAU

- more explanition about the specific programs: how does this specific placement work, what does the people domç, how are they, what do they like, what do they not like, what do they espect from us... it too me 2 weeks to answer those question but if people culd know the answers on those questions before starting, they will lose less time before integration totally in the different programs
- a little bit cheaper.
- more publicity in europe so that more european know about IVHQ and not only americans ( and Australians/N-Z)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Claire-Marie, We are so glad to hear that you had a great time in Argentina! It is awesome that you made close friends and were well supported by the local team. Thanks for all the work you have done and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Laura
Philadelphia, PA, USA

Lovely people :)

All the people in Argentina are so friendly, from the people at the volunteer house to the street vendors and passerby. We were invited to celebrate one person´s birthday and so we had meaningful conversations with several local Argentineans. I even grew to know a student in Cordoba well whom I´d just met in the airport. If you show any interest, they´ll let you into their life. All the other international volunteers here were so kind as well. I have plenty of friends abroad now who I am excited to visit in the coming years.

Orientations specific to each project to understand the rules and needs of the institution or individuals.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, It is lovely to hear that you were surrounded by kindness and had meaningful interactions while in Argentina. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Laura
Idaho
Idaho State University

Taking Care of the Special Needs

I have recently retired after 40 years work in a hospital laboratory. After talking with one of my co-workers I decided I would like to do something totally different and rewarding. I did a search on the internet and found IVHQ. In April, I started my procedure to ably and start my preparations. But, my summer was on of difficuly. I had to put things on hold for a while after a forest fire was burning 2 miles from my home. After the fire was contained I decided I had to make my decision to either come or not. My decision to come was the best one. This left me only 3 weeks to get my plans in place. After I arrived I found a wonderful group of volunteers from all over the world and a very special staff who took care of us as family. My placement was just as unique as I found Argentina to be. At first I was a little skeptical working with the special needs patients, but it did not take long for them to win my heart. I found the staff to be very receptive and helpful even though I did not speak Spanish. Thanks to my friends and the hospital, where I worked for almost 40 years, I was able to purchase some much needed supplies for the Special Needs Center. When I brought them into the center for the patients to see and get to use I was overwhelmed with joy from the expressions on their faces. It was very hard to say good buy to them today. And I do hope I can come back again.

The only thing I would suggest is that we could get a little training on the patients we would be helping as to what is expected from us and how we could help better with their special needs.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, It has been our pleasure to have you as an IVHQ volunteer. We are so glad that you decided to volunteer in Argentina, despite a difficult summer. Thanks for purchasing supplies and connecting with the patients at your placement. We would love to welcome you back again in the future.

Jessica
Currimundi
University of the Sunshine Coast

Childcare volunteering

I had a great time volunteering with IVHQ in Argentina and have met some amazing people both at the volunteer house, the child care centre and the local store! The food at the volunteer house was amazing and they easily catered for my dietary needs. I took Spanish lessons with 2 of my 3 weeks and they helped increase my spanish a lot. Lichi, Ariel, Jose and Julio were very kind, informative and helpful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jessica, Thanks for your recommendation! We are happy to hear that you felt well cared for by our local team and had a great time volunteering in Argentina and Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Shalomy
Auckland
University of Sydney

CHALLENGING BUT REWARDING

I absolutely loved my time here in Argentina! I came in wanting to do the community development project and ended up falling in love with the special needs programme. I was so grateful to lichi that we had the flexibility to try a range of placements. I have gained a new perspective on how people with special needs can thrive under various activities, I think my favourite part of this was meeting new lifelong friends. I got lost in the streets of Salta, saw tango in Buenos Aires, lived like a gaucho etc. with so many likeminded friends. I will even go on to see some of these friends in my future travel. i loved the feel of the volunteer house. Everyone is like family. I am so grateful for Jose and Ariel, the love and support they offer is indescribable. I'm tearing up as I write this because I feel like I am leaving my home. Villa Allende became my familiarity, where I would do my laundry, exercise and grocery shopping. It will be so hard to say goodbye. I am also very thankful for the fact I got to do so much travelling, Lichi was so helpful with organising trips, my trip to Iguazu was the highlight of my time here.

Basic spanish should be requirement
more detailed information about placements
longer placements as mine were only 3 hours

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shalomy, We are so glad to hear that you were so warmly welcomed by our local team in Argentina. We often receive feedback on how awesome the Argentina team is and we are glad that this was your experience also. Thanks for your feedback regarding recommended level of Spanish - It is really useful to be able to speak Spanish at the placements in Argentina. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Max
Princeton

Max´s Experience while in Argentina

This has been the perfect trip for my first fully independent travel experience. I am 20 years old and have traveled quite a bit, but usually it has been with family, or a structured program. This was perfect because not only did the people I met become family, but so did the staff who run the house. The staff are incredibly kind, welcoming, and patient. If you want an easy way to meet amazing people, and still have someone to turn to and answer whatever questions you need, while at the same time being able to travel independantly, this is without a doubt the perfect program.

It can´t be... maybe some more towels, if that is a deal breaker, then you have other things to sort out before coming to a new country

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Max, Thanks for your great review! It is great to hear that, for you, the program in Argentina was “without a doubt the perfect program”. We are so glad that the program allowed you to travel independently while being well supported by a local team. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to have you volunteer with us again soon.

Nilaja
Brooklyn, NY
Valparaiso University

Great blend of giving back and traveling

The volunteer experience in Argentina will definitely go down as a memorable experience that will stay with me forever. The support services provided to the teachers and students were very gratifying. Seeing the daily commitment of the teachers and the love and respect from their students were very inspiring. Additionally, the time allotted to traveling was well appreciated. I had the opportunity to enjoy the many landscape Argentina has to show off. From the ice glaciers of the South to the cascading waterfalls of the North. A definite MUST SEE!

n/a

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nilaja, Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like you had a pretty ideal volunteer experience and made the most of the many landscapes Argentina has to offer. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Joe
Lansing, MI

Argentina - Community Project

Volunteering with IVHQ and AFOS in Argentina was a great way to travel outside the US for the first time. My limited spanish language skills were a concern but I quickly found a welcoming Argentine community. Working with the elderly at El Arbor and assisting with Children´s Day preparation provided a wonderful opportunity to build lasting relationships wtih the community. Staying and volunteering in Villa Allende allowed for the opportunity to interact with a smaller community while having access to the larger city of Cordoba a 45 minute bus ride away.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hola Joe, Thanks for sharing. We are so glad that you felt welcomed while volunteering on the program in Argentina. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Sean
Toronto, Canada

2 weeks of fun

It was a wonderful time, our two weeks in Villa Allende, Argentina. Lichi, Jose, Ariel and all the others were very helpful; they got us and the other volunteers well adapted to the program and made us feel at home. Generally, the people of Argentina are very nice too, and they try their best to help us out, even if we do not speak Spanish. We chose the community project, and thus we were tasked with interacting with the community elders during the mornings. Although our Spanish skills are non existant, we broke the language barrier by doing things like teaching and giving them origami creations, and they were even interested in teaching us Spanish. In general, it was a great time.

Better internet

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sean, We are so pleased that you had a great experience on the program in Argentina! It is great that you were supported by the local team and we are so glad that you found ways to break down the language barrier at your placement. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Samuel
Beaconsfield (Montreal)

First trip alone

I came to Argentina to volunteer with my girlfriend and this was my first trip without any family members. It was a good experience: it made me feel more comfortable with traveling alone and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. It made me feel very at ease in this new place. They helped us along the whole time when we needed help, from arriving at the airport to taking us on a tour of the city to helping us get to our programs. It was great!

More advice on how to help in individual programs.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samuel, It’s great to hear from you. We are so glad that you found the local team in Argentina welcoming and helpful! We hope that this is the first of many trips abroad for you and your girlfriend. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Armando
Mcallen tx
University of Houston

MATE...mate....ma....te

Argentina is know for their asado, good wine, and their mate! It might have been a cold summer, might have had to walk 3+ miles daily to my volunteer place, and the water in the shower might have been either freezing or steaming hot but I wouldn't have had if any other way, I love my time in Córdoba. I fell in love with the country not because I got engaged there but because of the stress free culture people live. Volunteering from the u.s more specifically Houston the third largest city in the u.s where everything is go go go it was nice to take a breather and let the world slow down. Anything can happen and the Argentina locals just go with it. If you don't have the right tool during the construction program you work with what you got, if the lights go out during dinner you have a candle lit "romantic dinner", and if all restaurants are closed during lunch because of the fiesta you raid the pantry to see what you can munch on until dinner. I had the pleasure of staying with 22 other volunteers from all corners of the world who I already miss dearly. I had an unforgettable time impacting a community other than my own and I will continue to slow down from a hectic American schedule and continue to give back. Nos vemos pronto!

The program overall was great. Great staff great resources online, great blogs, great local team. One way I think it could be improve is by being more efficient with the time the volunteer have while in their placement.

Luke
Pomona

Great Experience, highly recommended

Overall, my experience with IVHQ Argentina was an excellent one. I spent one month helping to clean out and renovate an old library that got flooded. The work included: moving a lot of books to a storage area, rearranging the bookcases and attaching them to the walls, constructing new shelves and bookcases from old ones so they would fit and utilise as much space as possible and painting the walls, shelves and bookcases.
It was great to work with the local people, especially Debbie, the woman in charge of the whole operation. She was a kind, lovely woman who loves a good asado (BBQ). It was also great to meet other volunteers from all corners of the globe, go out with them on the weekends etc.
One memory that I will never forget is when myself and another volunteer went to play some basketball in the afternoon and we got swamped by at least thirty primary school aged children who were so interested in these two gringos who were using their court. Despite our lack of Spanish-speaking skills, we managed to make good conversation with them and play a good game of b-ball.
I would highly recommend this volunteer program to anybody. We had a 70-year-old join us for a week and he fit in just fine. A program for any age and from anywhere in the world.

Only issue I faced was that all the work we did took a long time to complete because of Argentina's laid-back (kinda lazy) culture. A four-hour siesta seems a little excessive to me. But there's nothing we can do about that, that's just the way it is there.

Adam
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Horses

One weekend while in Argentina my family and I decided to go horse riding. The lovely staff at IVHQ Argentina recommended a person who would take us on a day trip and lunch was provided. for only about $100 NZ dollars this was great value and it was amazing fun! We did a couple hour loop in the morning then came back to his ranch for a traditional asado (BBQ) This was an YUM lunch and dessert was included. I had OREO CHEESECAKE!!! In the afternoon we went riding, AGAIN! We rode to a river to go swimming then rode back to the ranch and it was an amazing way to end a day. This day was all provided for us! We were picked up from the hostel at 9:30 am and dropped off at about 8 pm. We got to see beautiful scenery of the Argentinian mountains and ride well trained horses. I would recommend this to anyone going to Argentina even if they have never ridden horses before. It was my first time and I felt like a pro at the end! The man who took us riding was very friendly and has very good english. I was very happy having done this and then did a similar thing 2 days later! this was very fun and has made me love horses!

The facilities were just a bit frustrating. Not bad but just annoying when You have just had a big sweaty day working and the showers are only HOT.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Adam, Welcome home to NZ! It’s great to hear from you! The horse riding sounds like such a great weekend option for volunteers in Argentina. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we loved having you and your family volunteer with IVHQ and hope to see you all on another IVHQ program again soon.

Christina
Nashville, TN

Great travel abroad experience

The staff in Villa Allende were extremely helpful. They provided wonderful information regarding activities and sites to visit in Argentina. The town was safe and I always felt like I could easy contact someone in my program if I needed help. It was the trip of a lifetime and an experience I will never forget.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Christina, Thanks for your review and it's great to hear that you had such an unforgettable experience volunteering in Argentina. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Nani

Unique experience

I have volunteered with IVHQ several times and without doubt, my experience volunteering in the Cordoba program has been the most impactful and rewarding so far. I selected a placement assisting elders and being in this project coupled with the overall experience of the program thanks to the outstanding service and assistance of the program managers made this a truly unique and memorable experience.

I felt useful every day in my volunteer placement. They received me with open arms and I connected immediately with the placement staff and the beautiful individuals who live in this amazing residence for elders - most of whom have no other place to live or someone to care for them full-time. The staff treats them with such love, compassion and care for all their health and physical needs and well-being while also bringing fun activities to engage in such as reading, music and games. This residence is truly special and the family who built and created this home is simply extraordinary and filled with kindness and a calling to serve those in need. I was treated like family and felt at home every day.

The program in Cordoba is relatively new and I would like to emphasize that because since the first day, absolutely everything ran smoothly, something I have not seen in other programs that have been around for a while. We received the full attention and service of the local program staff at all times. Lichi - who runs the program was absolutely exceptional. She cared for everyone and cheched in with volunteers to ensure they were enjoying their placements and would solve any challenge that would come across for volunteers. Also, when volunteers were interested in doing sightseeing and joining local tours, she would find a way to help everyone during their planning and would go out of her way to make sure volunteers were not only enjoying their placements but also their time in Argentina. I will never forget the kindness with which I was treated by her. Jose and all the staff at the house were also extremely attentive and at the full service of volunteers.
They also cooked every day and made sure our housing arrangements were comfortable and clean. I highly recommend contacting Mabel who has a taxi service and is a wonderful person and professional. We met her through the local program staff. She cared for volunteers and would drive them and pick them up even during her off duty hours. She was always on time and felt like part of the program.

This summary can't do justice to the extraordinary experience I had during my volunteer experience in the Cordoba program. I highly recommend it as definitely the best overall volunteer experience I have ever had. Thanks for such great memories and meaningful experience of service to others.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nani, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our program in Carboda, Argentina. It's great to hear that you had such a positive experience. We hope to see you back on another IVHQ program soon.

Maria
Fresno, California

Childcare Program

I loved the childcare program. I got to work with amazing kids ages 0-4 and work with caring and loving staff. My jobs included playing, singing, doing arts and crafts with the kids and sometimes I would work in the kitchen or in the library. This was an experience I will never forget.

Make knowing Spanish as a requisite. It was hard for the kids to bond with he volunteers who did not know Spanish as well as the staff at Placement.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maria, we are so happy that you have had an unforgettable experience in Argentina. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Sarah
Chicago, IL

Everything I wanted and more

I was hoping to improve my Spanish, get to know a new culture, help others, and see a new part of the world. I was able to do all of this while making new friends, learning about a new culture and way of life, helping others while there and finding ways to continue to help them, and feeling emerged in another part of the world.

I loved being in the Villa Allende we were close to a big city, but in a town that allowed us to get to know the people and still have a nice familiar area to go to with restaurants and parks. Our location was gorgeous with a beautiful yard, orange trees, a bonfire pit, and a sitting garden.

I wish I would have brought some ideas, or things with me to give to the site when I came to volunteer.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah. It sounds like you had such a positive experience volunteering in Argentina! IVHQ thanks you for your review and your time on the program - we hope that you can join us on another program in the future!

Irina
Canada, ON
Wilfrid Laurier University

Argentina volunteer review

Volunteering in Argentina was the best thing I have ever done in my life!!! All the staff were absolutely incredible and very helpful! I met a lot of wonderful ppl and I can't wait to go back. Even if I go for a visit, I will def go back! I highly reccomend it to everyone! Argentinian people are very friendly, caring and just amazing!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey there Irina! Thank you for the great review - IVHQ are over the moon that you had such a wonderful time on your volunteer program! We hope that you can join us on another IVHQ program in the future :-)

Tom
Wellington, New Zealand

3 Months in Villa Allende

Well that was an experience.

I came to Argentina to learn about the culture, improve my spanish and help out the community, I have achieved all 3 over the last 3 months.

I completed the construction project for nearly the entire time, it was great doing something with my hands. Being at a local school helped my spanish coupled with the fact the project boss couldn't speak english. Over my time we built an outdoor stage at a local school and moved on to a primary school afterwards to construct a mural.

The house itself was great, the local staff were fantastic to interact with and made the stay a great experience. The house is fairly old and the bathrooms not particularly luxurious but they did the job. There's is a great big property to explore and throw a ball around in.

We were an hour away from the city and a good 20 minute walk to the main town centre which after 3 months became a little tiring everyday to walk to and from. The town had a pretty great vibe and pretty much had everything you would need, lots of shops to explore just be prepared for the whole place to close from 1.30pm-5pm for siesta. This definitely took some getting used to.

Food was mostly decent and spanish classes were super useful in getting the lingo down pat. I did classes for about half the time which helped me drastically as it can be hard to get around with a good base of the language.

It's a great opportunity to meet people from around the world and to experience something new. While there were plenty of ups and downs I really enjoyed my time there and the experience it brought me.

Like anything there is always an opportunity for improvement, a couple of things that were quite frustrating were;

1 - I had to catch a taxi to my placement everyday, between 4 people it wasn't so bad but between 2 it became very expensive. After 3 months I spent hundreds of dollars just in getting there and back. I would recommend either a closer project or providing alternative transport
2 - The wifi was a constant cause of stress, this needs to be improved
3 - Bikes would hve been great to be able to get to town much easier and faster. I tried to buy one myself but that got no where.
4 - 35 people in the house at one time is too many, facilities were not appropriate for that many people. Most of the time the groups were smaller and things functioned much better.
5 - The website should be updated to better reflect the cost, I spent much more money then anticipated, again this was primarily due to having to catch a taxi to the placement.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Tom, thanks for your honest feedback - we really appreciate it. We have worked through these points with the Program Manager as well as the staff in-country so that we can improve these for future Volunteers! We are glad you enjoyed your experience as a whole and hope that you join us again - thanks for becoming an IVHQer! :-)

Carol
Boston
George Mason University

Vamos Argentina!

I had a great time at my volunteer placement in Argentina. The house was full of amazing, kind, intelligent and open-minded people. The accommodations were very good. I was lucky to have a private room, however the bunk rooms were comfortable as well. The food was great; dinner was a time for sharing our daily experiences and getting to know each other better.

My placement was at a soup kitchen where I felt genuinely loved and needed by the family who ran it. It was a great experience to see the differences in how people live here in Villa Allende and Saldan. I also had many opportunities to practice my Spanish.

Weekends were a blast. Groups of volunteers would travel to Cordoba, about a 30 minute bus ride away, to eat, shop, etc. We also took longer excursions to Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls.

Spanish lessons are a must, in my opinion, in order to better communicate with the volunteer house staff as well as the people at your placement. The classes are held right at the house and the instructor is flexible in scheduling group or individual classes.

The experience will be what you make of it. Open your heart and your mind and you will be glad you came. I enjoyed every minute and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, by the way, don't let your age stop you from volunteering. Although most are young and still in college, some are older and just as fun and interesting to hang out with (like me)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Carol, It's nice to hear from you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our Argentina program. It sounds like you had a very memorable and positive volunteer experience, which is great to hear. You have given some sound advice to future volunteers, we couldn't agree with you more on many of your points, but specifically 'don't let your age stop you from volunteering' - well said. We look forward to welcoming you on another IVHQ program again at some point in the future.

Staci
Spokane, WA
Gonzaga University

IVHQ Argentina Review

Overall, I had a great time in Argentina. I took a group of ten students from our school, but the IVHQ staff made organizing the trip very easy. We did have a last minute program change due to flooding, but I think we were easily able to adjust.

With only being there one week, our schedule was very jam-packed. A little more free time to see the sites would have been nice.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Staci, travelling abroad is never easy (especially if you are coordinating a group of 10 people!!) but it’s great to hear that with the support of IVHQ we were able to help make it as smooth as possible. We hope to see you all on another of our programs again in the future. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!

Chris
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
University of Otago

Volunteering with IVHQ in Childcare, Argentina

I spent 2 months with IVHQ in Argentina working in the childcare programme. On a regular day we would arrive at 9 in the morning and work until midday, playing the role of camp-leaders at a summer camp. We would each assign ourselves to a certain age-group (ranging from 4-11) where we were joint by other young (18-26) locals who worked at the camp. Together, we would organise activities for the kids to do during the morning. Examples include daily swimming (provided the weather was nice, as it usually was), football, some form of dodgeball, treasure hunts, mock olympics, making christmas cards using leaves/stones and so on. There is even the opportunity for you to set up your own activities, so I found some willing 10 & 11 year old boys to teach rugby. The kids are amazing, all so happy and friendly, along with the very welcoming local workers, so you will have no problems fitting in. However, I must warn you that if you speak little Spanish you may struggle, as only one of the locals I met would speak any English to us. You must also realise what you are there to do... you are helping out as a camp-leader, not eliminating all poverty in the neighbourhood in two weeks. Though it may seem you are not giving a lot of constructive help, you must realise that you are opening the kids eyes to different cultures and languages while also providing them with holiday activities and having a great time while doing it! If you have the financial means it would also be worth asking the coordinator of whatever project you undertake whether you can help out, as I'm sure your help could provide more for the kids. Regarding the hostel life, you will meet some amazing people from all over the world and have some great parties in Cordoba!

It seems like an odd concept to me that instead of asking for volunteers help when it is needed they are finding work when it suits the volunteers, this should not be the point of volunteering as I know this was the case with the healthcare in Argentina, where the volunteers were sent to a doctor's office where they were not needed at all. If they are not needed then IVHQ should let them know there won't be any work for them.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Chris, Awesome feedback and good photos! It sounds like you had the right attitude to get the most out of your volunteer project and you have provided some really sound advice for future volunteers. Thanks for sharing.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to