Volunteer Belize Orphanage Center

The orphanage is home to 25 children, predominantly between 4-15 years of age. All of the children at the care center have been abandoned, abused or orphaned and many have disabilities, special needs or are HIV positive.

This Care center provides a safe haven for the children, food, clothing, recreation and pre-school education. During school season the primary age children attend school in the village, while the younger kids remain full time on the campus. The Center has its own green house and gardening area and volunteer task will include light manual labor jobs, as well as child care, laundry work, assisting in the kitchens and also homework when the older kids return to campus. Vacation months (July/August, December/early January) all the children are at the campus full time and volunteers may participate in "field trips".

Gardening like planting vegetables, light farming needs, helping with the general upkeep (sweeping,mowing) Assisting with the children's laundry, also in the kitchen during meal time Pre-school activities like reading books, teaching letters/numbers, tutoring role assisting the local teachers. Afternoon homework support, recreational games on the campus playgrounds Child care: meal time, brushing teeth, bed time

Mary

Belize

Volunteering in Belize with A Broader View was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Just like everyone would be if they came to a foreign country alone, I was nervous that something would go wrong or I would find the experience too difficult. With the support of the local coordinator, her staff, ABV in the USA, my volunteer location and the people of Belize, I was the happiest person ever. I got to volunteer as well as learn the unique history of Belize, and the indigenous people. The USA and Belize have so many differences, but by coming to Belize I have a new appreciation for happiness. Seeing the kids of the orphanage go to school with big smiles on their faces reminded me that happiness isn’t based on the things that you have, but rather what you make of it!

Angelica

Belize

This experience in Belize was truly unlike anything I have experienced before. I think I will be unpacking everything that happened while I was here for some time to come. I didn't know what to expect before I came here, so I was continually amazed by all that I experienced. The kids were so loving and open to us. The culture is so much stronger and more apparent in everything that is done.
I knew it was going to be hot but it was hotter and more humid than I was expecting so I would definitely recommend bringing lots of shorts and maybe a few tank tops. I would also liked to have stayed for a few days longer so that I could have more time volunteering and also get to experience some of the culture and tourism outside of the orphanage. That said, I would recommend taking any opportunity to experience another part of Belize while you're here so that you can get a fuller appreciation of the culture as a whole.

Gloria

Belize Orpanage

I have used ABV on two occassions. My daughter and I originally went through them in June of 2013 to visit the orphanage in Belize. Then, my daughter returned again in December of 2013 by herself and again used ABV. Obviously, we felt very comfortable since we used them twice.

Sarah was very helpful. Initially, I had many questions and I spoke with her by phone as well as exchanging many emails. She was very helpful and always quick to respond. The instructions we received were thorough and contained all the necessary information.

We knew what to expect when we arrived at the orphanage. We were told ahead of time what our days would be like. Both my daughter and I had wonderful experiences. I would recommend ABV for any of their programs.

About A Broader View Volunteers Corp

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all...