Volunteer in Belize with ISL

Volunteer in Belize with ISL

Join the International Service Learning (ISL) program in Belize!

Influences of Spanish, Mayan and British cultures can be felt throughout this beautiful nation. ISL allows participants to learn and give back in Belize through a variety of volunteer programs. From medical work to education, there is volunteer work for everyone. ISL volunteers travel and learn in groups of 6 to 16, who are also accompanied by ISL medical professionals and staff.

While public health care in Belize is available to the population at no direct cost to the individual, most rural health clinics suffer from inadequate staffing, lack of financial resources to handle the patient volume, and a lack of equipment and medicine, according to the World Health Organization. Many families also lack the resources to travel to the nearest health care facility. Join ISL in aiding developing communities in Belize!

We have Global Health, Nursing, and Well Child International programs traveling all year around.

North America » Belize » San Ignacio
North America » Belize
Project Types
Year Round
24-hour accompaniment by professional, bilingual staff, airport pickup/drop off, all ground transportation, all lodging, two meals per day, drinking water, instruction by licensed doctors, medications and supplies, tours, and basic recreation

Abigail
MIlwaukee, Wisconsin
Iowa State University

Belize 2016

I absolutely loved my leaders they made the trip for me, Loida, Rose, and Miguel were so awesome and they taught us a lot about the culture of Belize. I also love the restaurant we went to most of the time, Jalepenos. Our doctors were awesome as well. This trip was the perfect amount of fun/ traveling and medical/ volunteering. 10/10 would recommend/ go on another trip. I loved every minute of it.

Ashley
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Cedar Crest College

AMAZING!

I had such an amazing time in Belize. Ana and Amina were so welcoming and caring. They made us feel like we were at home. Martin was also great. We would not be able to get where we needed to go without him! I got to experience so much while I was there such as visiting the villages, setting up clinics, going snorkeling and working with amazing doctors. It was definitely an eye opening experience and I highly recommend it. I would love to do another study abroad trip through ISL one day!

If I had to change one thing I would split up the activities a little more. Some days were extremely busy and then others we only had a few things to do. It would be less exhausting to even out the days a little bit.

Sirena
Toledo, Ohio
University of Toledo

UnBELIZEable Experience

My ISL experience in Belize was amazing. Our guides and staff were amazing. Ms. Ana and Fidelio made it so special and we got to experience so much from cave tubing to Mayan ruins all in between holding free medical clinics in the community. It was so humbling and an excellent adventure. I got to immerse myself in the community and the wildlife, too. I would absolutely recommend it and would love to go back!

Quinton
Spokane, Washington
Eastern Washington University

Absolutely Amazing!!

Volunteering in Belize was an experience I will never forget. We traveled to different villages and set up free clinics in local churches and provided medical services men, women and children who not have otherwise received it. Extremely rewarding. On our recreation days, we decided to float the river, travel and see the Mayan ruins, and parasail on Caye Caulker island!! I had the time of my life and I'm already planning my second trip with ISL!!

It could be longer!!

kkaplar
Westmont, IL

International Service Learning - Belize

Belize was a great country to help get medical supplies and services to those to don't see a physician on a regular basis. As a medical student I did have basic knowledge of how to take a blood pressure and listen for heart sounds, etc. But there were people on the trip who did not have the same knowledge and were still able to learn how to do so throughout the trip. With ISL, I was able to volunteer in 3 rural towns in the San Ignacio area, providing clinics for all those who needed to seek medical treatment. ISL also gave all the volunteers the opportunity to visit a hospital to learn techniques like suturing and injections. Some people on my trip even saw a live birth. Many of the patients in the various clinics were simply there for vitamins or checkups, it was still great knowing that we were providing them with care they would otherwise not be getting. When I wasn't volunteering, we had the opportunities to see ancient Mayan ruins and even got to spend a day cave-tubing and zip-lining. Overall, the organization (ISL) is great and the experiences I had while in Belize were unforgettable.

International Service Learning (ISL) has been connecting volunteers with meaningful service projects and educational opportunities around the world for more than 20 years. ISL's staff are professionals in health care, travel, transpiration, translation, etc. The support ISL offers its volunteers is unmatched. ISL sends volunteers