International Service Learning in Belize

International Service Learning in Belize

Join a Global Health, Nursing, or Community Enrichment program with International Service Learning (ISL) in Belize!

While public healthcare in Belize is available to the population at no direct cost to the individual, most rural health clinics suffer from inadequate staffing, lack of financial resources to handle the patient volume, and a lack of equipment and medicine, according to the World Health Organization. Many families also lack the resources to travel to the nearest healthcare facility. This is where ISL volunteers and resources are needed most. Volunteers have the opportunity to work alongside local doctors and medical professionals conducting health surveys, running community clinics, and visiting local hospitals to bring health services to those in need.

• ISL has over 20 years of experience providing volunteers opportunities in 12 different countries
  • Our programs are always coordinated by our in-country employees, who are locals and know the area and culture well
  • We work under the direction of the local government Ministries of Health, and students are only involved to the extent that these officials approve
  • We treat acute conditions only and maintain contact with, and in most cases, re-visit work sites again and again to ensure a lasting relationship
North America » Belize » San Ignacio
North America » Belize
Project Types
Year Round
Price includes a customized itinerary and pre-travel planning, airport pick up/drop off, lodging, ground transportation, 2 meals per day, 24/7 ISL staff accompaniment, local medical professionals, learning seminars and project supplies.

Abigail
MIlwaukee, Wisconsin
Iowa State University

Belize 2016

I absolutely loved my leaders they made the trip for me, Loida, Rose, and Miguel were so awesome and they taught us a lot about the culture of Belize. I also love the restaurant we went to most of the time, Jalepenos. Our doctors were awesome as well. This trip was the perfect amount of fun/ traveling and medical/ volunteering. 10/10 would recommend/ go on another trip. I loved every minute of it.

Ashley
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Cedar Crest College

AMAZING!

I had such an amazing time in Belize. Ana and Amina were so welcoming and caring. They made us feel like we were at home. Martin was also great. We would not be able to get where we needed to go without him! I got to experience so much while I was there such as visiting the villages, setting up clinics, going snorkeling and working with amazing doctors. It was definitely an eye opening experience and I highly recommend it. I would love to do another study abroad trip through ISL one day!

If I had to change one thing I would split up the activities a little more. Some days were extremely busy and then others we only had a few things to do. It would be less exhausting to even out the days a little bit.

Sirena
Toledo, Ohio
University of Toledo

UnBELIZEable Experience

My ISL experience in Belize was amazing. Our guides and staff were amazing. Ms. Ana and Fidelio made it so special and we got to experience so much from cave tubing to Mayan ruins all in between holding free medical clinics in the community. It was so humbling and an excellent adventure. I got to immerse myself in the community and the wildlife, too. I would absolutely recommend it and would love to go back!

Quinton
Spokane, Washington
Eastern Washington University

Absolutely Amazing!!

Volunteering in Belize was an experience I will never forget. We traveled to different villages and set up free clinics in local churches and provided medical services men, women and children who not have otherwise received it. Extremely rewarding. On our recreation days, we decided to float the river, travel and see the Mayan ruins, and parasail on Caye Caulker island!! I had the time of my life and I'm already planning my second trip with ISL!!

It could be longer!!

kkaplar
Westmont, IL

International Service Learning - Belize

Belize was a great country to help get medical supplies and services to those to don't see a physician on a regular basis. As a medical student I did have basic knowledge of how to take a blood pressure and listen for heart sounds, etc. But there were people on the trip who did not have the same knowledge and were still able to learn how to do so throughout the trip. With ISL, I was able to volunteer in 3 rural towns in the San Ignacio area, providing clinics for all those who needed to seek medical treatment. ISL also gave all the volunteers the opportunity to visit a hospital to learn techniques like suturing and injections. Some people on my trip even saw a live birth. Many of the patients in the various clinics were simply there for vitamins or checkups, it was still great knowing that we were providing them with care they would otherwise not be getting. When I wasn't volunteering, we had the opportunities to see ancient Mayan ruins and even got to spend a day cave-tubing and zip-lining. Overall, the organization (ISL) is great and the experiences I had while in Belize were unforgettable.

International Service Learning (ISL) is a volunteer organization offering global health, education, and community enrichment opportunities in twelve different countries. Our mission is to support cultural awareness, service-based learning, and sustainable development projects through experiential and responsible travel.

All of our programs are organized and