Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Bolivia

Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Bolivia

Projects Abroad has been providing volunteer placements in the developing world since 1992. Our volunteers directly impact local communities through service projects arranged and coordinated by expect in-country staff.

We offer a wide selection of volunteer opportunities in Cochabamba, Bolivia including Child Care
Equine Therapy, Canine Therapy, Teaching, Sports, Music, and Animal Care.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Choose your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from our local staff
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends
South America » Bolivia » Cochabamba
South America » Bolivia
Prices vary depending on the project, destination, and duration. Visit our website for more detailed information.

Sean
Calgary
University of Calgary

Project Abroad - Bolivia Football coach

I came from Canada and did a solo trip so I really didn't know what to expect; lots of nervousness in preparation. That feeling quickly subsided with the incredible helpful staff from project abroad (PA) who gave me guidance in many areas including travel insurance set-up and recommended flights.

The actual trip was even greater. Though I was only there for 2 weeks, I managed to make a bunch of memories and friends with people from all over the world in our host family's accommodation. The host family was set-up from the workers from PA who gave me a thorough description of the home I would be staying in. They made sure to double-check if I had any questions continuously throughout the trip and made themselves available on demand.

The city was beautiful (Cochabamba) and it was well-guided my first few days to figure out the intricacies of the city along with the routes to work.

Could not be happier with my trip and highly recommend using PA for any future endeavours.

More cost efficiency

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Sean: Sounds like you had a great time in Bolivia! Indeed, our projects are designed so you can have the strongest impact in a short period of time. Thanks for sharing!

Duru
Columbus, Ohio

General Care Project

Pre-departure, Projects Abroad staff were extremely helpful in getting me ready for my trip. I was given a Projects Abroad website where helpful information was posted such as obtaining a Visa, getting a criminal background check, a packing list, host family information, and my project placement. I exchanged multiple emails with staff to help me get set for my trip; it was nice not having to figure out what to do on my own in order to be prepared. Unfortunately, there was not much information about my assignment. I knew I would be working in an orphanage for children with disabilities, but I didn't know much else such as how I would get to and from the orphanage, or where it was located, or how long I would be there everyday. However, once I got to Cochabamba, a staff member from Projects Abroad sat down with me and went over all the details of my assignment. He told me that I could work in the mornings or afternoons, or both, based on my comfort level. The minimum requirement for Projects Abroad is to work 4 hours at your placement, so it was nice that they were not forcing me to work all day long!
Being at the orphanage was an interesting experience. It was my first time doing anything like it so I did not know what to expect. I adjusted very quickly, and the children even started calling me "Tia," which let me know that they had already warmed up to me. I also felt very welcome in the orphanage by the staff. I would assist them in coloring activities and getting children ready for lunchtime. Some days it would rain, and we would be constricted to a small room with over 25 children, which was not too ideal. Most days it was sunny and we were out in the main open area of the orphanage, where it was much more enjoyable. I spent a lot of time simply playing with the children and keeping them company! Some days were slow and some days were fast, but the bottom line is that it was such a great experience and I honestly would not have wanted to spend my winter break from college any differently. I strongly recommend this sort of volunteer work for anyone, even if it is your first time. It was my first time, but definitely not my last!

I think the program could be improved by giving volunteers more information about their placement prior to arriving. Similarly, I think it would be extremely helpful to allow volunteers to write a summary of their experience and give tips for future volunteers at the same placement to read before they start their work to know what to expect.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those