Join a GVI Sustainable Development Fellowship!
As an award-winning experiential education organization we work in collaboration with widely respected organizations and educational partners to operate in excess of one hundred sustainable development initiatives. Each project has clearly defined objectives, and their collaborative impacts are tracked against the UN Sustainable Development Goals. All GVI Sustainable Development Fellows will be focused upon one site and they may be requested to provide advice on or visit additional sites.
We have 18 Fellowships available for the duration of two calendar years in the following areas:
- Community development
- Education (K-12 and Adult)
- Environmental science
- Gender equality
- Marine science
- Public health
- Social and micro-enterprise
- Urban agriculture
To apply or find out more about the requirements, duties and value of the fellowships, follow the link below.
Travel to sunny South Africa and make a difference to critical conservation and community development programs. From working with underprivileged children, to getting up close with the charismatic wildlife, there's a volunteer project for everyone in South Africa! Discover Cape Town; the Design Capital of the world, get up close and personal with the Big Five on safari and conquer the iconic Table Mountain.
Top Volunteer Projects in South Africa:
- Volunteer with Children in South Africa: Assist with childcare & educational activities in a township educare center while exploring South Africa
- Wildlife Research in South Africa Expedition: Get up close and personal with Africa's large game such as lion, leopard, elephant and hyenas. Learn how to use conservation and research equipment to help locate collared predators, receive invaluable training in large animal identification, tracking and behavioral study skills.
- Sports and Surfing in South Africa: Volunteers will be teaching children to surf in conjunction with coaching a range of different sports including football, netball, cricket, tennis, athletics and rugby in townships that surround the beautiful city of Cape Town.
- Volunteer Healthcare Project in South Africa: Volunteer on a program in a colourful township just outside Cape Town, educating child-minders, parents and children on the importance general hygiene practices.These fun and interactive workshops are set up in an informal environment and involve lots of fun activities.
- Wildlife Conservation and Childcare in South Africa: Provide disadvantaged children with much needed educational improvement in Cape Town and help with the conservation of wildlife in Limpopo on a private game reserve. Immerse yourself in a country known for its rich history, culture and natural beauty!
- Volunteer with Cheetahs in South Africa: Discover wild South Africa when you join an international team of volunteers assisting in the research of the world’s fastest land mammal, the cheetah.
View Program Information
All meals (unless otherwise stated in field manuals)
All necessary project training by experienced staff
All necessary project equipment and materials
24-hour in-country support