GVI: Volunteer in Thailand

GVI: Volunteer in Thailand

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

Volunteer with GVI in Thailand and discover the land of smiles; a land surrounded by stunning golden beaches, intricate temples and a rich culture. Although Thailand has a thriving tourism industry, there are many poorer communities. Thailand is also home to a variety of fauna and flora that are both unique, diverse and in some cases endangered.

Top Volunteer Projects in Thailand:

• Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand: Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand: Explore the awe-inspiring mountainous forests of Northern Thailand as you volunteer with traditional communities as they work to protect the Asian elephant population. You will learn a great deal about how the elephants behave as you live as a local in the village.
  • Thailand Coastal Conservation Expedition: As an expedition member, you'll be assisting with climate and conservation issues that the region faces alongside our local partners. Volunteers will be involved in biodiversity research turtle conservation and environmental education.
  • Volunteer Healthcare Project in Thailand: Provide assistance with health and hygiene education in schools, care centers and community centers in Phang Nga. Explore the picturesque island oases of southern Thailand in your free time.
  • Volunteer with Children in Thailand: Help children in Thailand to improve their future opportunities by teaching English in local schools. Experience the traditional Thai culture explore the unspoiled white sand beaches and tropical jungles in your free time.
  • Marine and Wildlife Conservation in Thailand: Travel to the majestic country of Thailand and contribute to long-term sustainable conservation projects. Contribute to solving the climate and conservation issues affecting the various ecosystems as well as the rehabilitation of Asian elephants who have been rescued from tourist camps.
  • Teach English to Monks in Laos and Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand: Travel to two stunning Asian countries and help enhance the education of Buddhist Novice Monks and help reintegrate elephants into their natural habitat from lives in tourist camps.
Asia » Thailand
The practice of elephant street begging significantly reduces the life expectancy of this endangered species, diminishes their high cultural importance, and places individuals in inhumane living conditions. We are creating a new future for the species, and bringing new hope to elephants with tragic pasts. Volunteers provide basic care and see that the elephants' social needs are met. This program is tied in with a larger government effort to rescue up to 300 elephants from city streets.

For the homestay in Thailand you have your own space/room at the locals house. You get up early and are out with the Elephants and other volunteers all day. Some nights you have dinner with the alone and try and learn each others languages.

Sam
Scotland

GVI Thailand

I had a spectacular time volunteering in Thailand with GVI. I had many incredible experiences with incredible people. On our last day in Thailand with GVI we visited one of the many stunning viewpoints. Our guide told us that it was one of the finest viewpoints in all of Phuket. This was definitely true and it certainly was one of the best landscapes I have ever seen in my life. The weather was absolutely perfect too, the sun was shining, with practically no clouds in the sky. For me, it was a moment I wish I could live in forever. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case and so soon afterwards, we headed off to visit a temple, known as ‘Dragon Temple’ It consisted of a collection of many Buddhist buildings, all of which were highly decorated and very beautiful. The biggest and most impressive of these was a tower which rose to about 30-40 metres in height and had several floors. Standing up on the balcony, we were afforded spectacular views of the whole complex and the mountains beyond. The next place we visited was known as the ‘Big Buddha’ and rightly so! It was an incredibly large concrete statue of the Buddha stationed at the top of a flight of steps which themselves were on top of a large hill which had a magnificent view onto the valleys below. At the top, there was some serene religious music playing. My favourite part was the golden hearts made of aluminium which were hanging everywhere. The were hanging from trees, on carts and sheds, fences and lines which were hung especially to accommodate them. Each one had a message written on it and as I looked, I could see a vast number of different languages, from French to Chinese, German to Russian, Spanish to Thai, English and a whole host of others which I couldn’t understand! This final experience, amongst so many others, made my time in Thailand so incredibly enjoyable. I would thoroughly recommend GVI as a volunteer organisation as the experiences they provided me with were simply incredible.

Lauren Tang
Lauren
Berkeley, CA
University of California- Berkeley

Volunteer with Elephants - Go Overseas Staff Edition

I volunteered through GVI on their most popular “Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand” program. Though I was looking forward to visiting Thailand (and immerse myself in all the delicious food), I was even more excited to sign up for my first volunteer experience abroad. During my one week, GVI provided the support, communication, and project prep needed for a first-timer like me.

Impact: I learned very quickly about the current state of the elephant tourism industry in Thailand, and it was clear that this project strived to change that by bringing one elephant at a time back into the wild. Every day we met at the volunteer base and then took hikes to observe the elephants in their new habitat. GVI worked very closely with the Huay Pakoot community, and our work with the elephants helped create jobs in the village and promote an alternative method of elephant tourism.

Support: Every field staff member (Danielle, Holly, Phoebe, Jina and Pádraig) was always available for questions and provided orientation for new volunteers. Also, during your first week on the program, a staff member will join a new volunteer for dinner every evening with your homestay family to help you adjust!

Value: Disclaimer: My participation in the program was waived by GVI as a part of the Go Overseas paid PAID vacation program. However I do know that the program fees include airport pickup, transfer to and from Huay Pakoot, housing, and all meals for all volunteers during your stay.

Fun: There were always daily activities hosted by the program like river days, language exchanges, lessons with the local school children, or dinner with the mahout families. Even though life takes a slower pace in the village, there are plenty of volunteers on this program -- around 20 of us during my stay. Also, you have the option to take a weekend trip to Chiang Mai when there are no hikes (because there are always inbound and outbound volunteers).

Safety: There was never a time I felt unsafe during my stay. Your accommodations will be very basic, but my room and homestay house would be locked when no one was home. Also, the mahouts and field staff are very knowledgeable and tell you how you need to interact with the elephants.

Overall: The beauty in the program was really the opportunity to interact so closely with these intelligent animals, getting to know each one personally. My favorite elephant was Thong Dee, who was a total sweetheart with an old soul. If you are looking for an alternative trip during your time off (and have a love for elephants!), then definitely consider going to Huay Pakoot. I wish I had more than one week, because it was very obvious that longer term volunteers were deeply connected to the animals and community.

I would suggest improving the science aspect of the program. We were just beginning to log the body analysis of every animal during our hikes, but a lot more can be done to prove the efficacy of reintroducing the eles back into a wild habitat.

Shannon
2 months old
Scotland
University of Stirling

Life Changing

I recently returned from a volunteer programme with GVI in Thailand. The programme involved teaching orphans at a kindergarten, teaching healthcare to Burmese children and working with kids with disabilities. From start to finish, the support from GVI was incredible, and any nerves I had about the programme quickly disappeared. There was always someone you could contact for help/advice, and they provide you with a lot of information before you go. Right from the beginning, everyone was so friendly and they quickly became my second family and my home away from home. They give presentations and training throughout your programme, which aims to not only improve the community you're in, but all over the world as well. You can genuinely see the difference you make to the community, and everything is planned or has a curriculum to follow, so that no one is confused and the kids are actually learning all the time. I will definitely be doing another programme with GVI, and I love that I can still be involved from home!

My standard day would involve getting up and going to the Foundation to teach 4, 5 or 6 year olds English. When I was there, every day we would teach a different letter or the alphabet with vocabulary to go with it. We would then go back to base for lunch, and leave for Camillian social centre in the afternoon to work with kids and young adults with disabilities. We would either do physiotherapy or arts and crafts, and then do a mixture of games and sensory activities. It was tough but one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. We would then go back to base to lesson plan for the following day, and have dinner. At night we would be free to do what we liked, and normally we would play cards or watch movies. Every second week you would have a Friday project, and the other weeks you would have a long weekend if you wanted to travel.

Lolita

Unforgettable

As an intern, I spent 6 months on this project and was pretty nervous when I first arrived, knowing how long I was going to be there for! The first two weeks were the hardest, adapting to the different lifestyle, being surrounding by lots of new people, trying to learn the local language. But it is really the greatest experience you could ever have! When you first arrive to the village, you are taken to your homestay basically straight away by a staff member, where you will be introduced to your new family and shown your bedroom and bathroom. Then it is back to base for a potluck dinner with the staff, new and old volunteers so everyone can get to know each other. Hikes to see the eles leave early in the morning which you go in groups with the staff, some other volunteers and the mahouts. Seeing the elephants for the first time in the forest is something that will stay in your memory and it's just as great every time after that!
The staff at Huay Pakoot are really great, making sure everyone is doing well and they are very helpful. Being there for a long time, I feel like I really made a connection with them and formed some good friendships.
Every two weeks there is the opportunity to go into Chiang Mai to get a bit of civilisation and some comforts such as a bed and yum food. It's also a good opportunity to bond with fellow volunteers and explore the city. Sometimes there is a festival going on somewhere, and the staff will let everyone know and try and organise a trip.
There were a lot of challenges to overcome during my time there, it's quite an adjustment and the project really can push you to your limits, but thats what people go there to experience. Being immersed in a different culture, meeting likeminded people and seeing elephants everyday is something I will never forget!

Jona

The real way to experience Thailand

My boyfriend and I participated in the Marine Conservation Program in Phang Nga, Thailand and loved every minute of it.
We stayed with the locals at one of the villages affected by the 2004 tsunami. While the accommodation was modest, it really helped us learn more about the local culture and understand our impact on the local community. Additionally GVI hosts participants from around the world so the program was a great opportunity to meet lifelong international friends.

The conservation program involved a lot of travelling compared to the other programs on base. Each day we would get up bright and early to head off to either a national park, island, or conservation centre. Our work included turtle tank maintenance, mangrove forest clean ups, or biodiversity surveys. If it was turtle rehabilitation day, the team would start off by cleaning the tanks at the centres. Then we had to check and treat the turtles for fungal infection, before releasing them into their tanks. For the mangrove clean-ups, we canoed down the rainforest to collect waste. The calming scenery and wildlife made it feel like a serene stroll through the forest, rather than a clean-up.
The biodiversity surveys were undertaken through nature hikes. We would either hike up the hill and collect observations on the way done, or conduct the survey during the hike itself. The best part was being able to go for a swim in the waterfalls or have a picnic after our work. Often we then would head back to the village for lunch, where GVI gives us an allowance to spend at a local family restaurant.
During the biodiversity hikes we would find heaps of interesting creatures such as groovy coloured caterpillars, hermit crabs and small animals.

Coincidentally, we completed our program while students from the Duke University were completing a Service Learning program. They planned a big beach clean day where all volunteers and staff members teamed up to reduce waste polluting a local beach. Staff members from a nearby businesses and hotel guests were also happy to help out, demonstrating the positive relationship GVI has with the local community.

I highly recommend GVI and their volunteer program for curious minded adventurers looking for a unique learning experience

Response from Global Vision International (GVI)

Hi Jona,

Thank you for your kind words about your time in Thailand with GVI, we always love hearing stories from our Alumni!

Do you know that we run an Ambassador program which allows you to stay connected with GVI from home, and earn points towards a future program? If you'd like to find out more, you can email me on [email protected] and I'll be able to give you more details!

All the best,

Jon, Alumni Engagement Manager

Jenna
Edinburgh
Edinburgh Napier University

The trip of my life!

I've visited lots of places across the world but this village was my favourite thanks to the amazing time I had there with GVI. I dont think anything can top hiking through the jungle with amazing people to see a semi wild and happy heard of beautiful Asian elephants. Then to come home and chill at base with such a stunning view.
Every day brings something different; exploring a new part of the forest, seeing a new creature, giving a health check or feeding one of the elephants, learning a new phrase in the Karen language, bonding with the villagers, you name it. Every day is special out there.
GVI don't allow cruel abuse of their elephants such as riding by tourists, excess and inexperienced use of the bull hook, use of any weapon on the elephants, or excess feeding of unnatural foods such as fruit. I would definitely recommend volunteering with this company.

I would be useful to increase the scientific side of the project. I would suggest creating a scientific internship where some background knowledge of biology is required to be accepted e.g. to be studying it at university. This way these people could be used for research and to learn more. This is originally more what I thought I was applying for.

Silvi
Sydney, Australia
University of South Australia

An amazing adventure with a difference!

I would highly recommend GVI and their rescued Elephant reintroduction project in the protected forests of Chiang Mai. Enjoy hiking up corn fields to find the beautiful animals. Stay with them and track their behaviours throughout the day. Passionate staff, an amazing village and culture. If you want a life changing experience, then sign up today! 2 weeks was ok but stay longer if you can, to get even more out of the experience.

Rosie
United Kingdom

once in a lifetime experience!

Being an intern on this project was amazing, you had the time to be fully submerged in the village, language and cultures. Not only that you got to trek through beautiful forests and had the most amazing views of the land. The elephants were just incredible, they are so beautiful and intelligent and just being around them was a dream. I am so glad I got to be a part of their conservation and am so thankful there are projects like this to help elephants.

Working and education the locals more on the ethical treatment of elephants.

Brittany
Silver City, New Mexico
Western New Mexico University

GVI Thailand Elephant Reintroduction

Joining the GVI team in Thailand was the most incredible experience of my life. Upon my arrival to the village of Huay Pakoot I was a little nervous. I had already been greeted and briefed on the project by some staff but now was the time that I got to meet my family. The family I stayed made my stay. We were always having conversations (usually hang motions and little words), laughing, hanging out together, and teaching each other our own native language. Over my first few days I learned my way around the village and acquainted myself with the other staff and volunteers. This was not too hard because the first night I arrived we all had a potluck dinner together where we introduced ourselves. After a while this became part of my normal routine, we had potlucks once a week. During the week days we had elephant hikes, bio-diversity hikes, nursery, school teaching, and an assortment of many other things. Im sure you want to know about the elephants though, it is only reasonable considering they are the reason were all there. Well they are amazing! Each elephant seems so happy being back in the forest where they should be. They also have an obvious love for their Mahouts. There are three herds of elephants on this project all in different areas of the forest. This makes for quite the diversity of hikes. The hikes are the most physically demanding part, hard but doable! They are amazing, the views never get old and there are always new ones to be found. The elephants move around the forest so the hikes with them change as the elephants location changes. After hikes we usually have lunch weather it be in the forest or back in the village. Aside from the elephants and the people the food was probably one of my favorite parts. I mean three regular meals a day, all with rice, and lots of veggies! This all is really just a start to telling how my amazing experience went while I was away. I could type for days about it all while having a ear to ear smile on my face. Going I had several questions, so if you have ANY I would be happy to try and answer!

lindsayal
Los Angeles, CA

Incredible

This program was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.The description of the program on the GVI website is a bit vague. But let me tell you that if you go on this program you will be in for treat. Being on this program you learn a lot about elephants of course, but you also learn about yourself and the world around you. It teaches you to see things in a different way. Life in the village is so different from life in the Western World. The people there are much more appreciative and relaxed. It is the simple things in life that bring the most joy. Be prepared to hike. A LOT. Everyday. It can be hard at times, but it is always worth the physical labor. You record social data and feeding behaviors of the elephants which is super interesting. Watching elephants is like people watching. They are always doing something. The food is so yummy, but still make sure to bring some snacks from home like peanut butter!

Kathd
New Zealand

Working with Elephants

Overall this two weeks of volunteering was a fantastic experience. Being able to live in a small (300 people) village in the mountains in Northern Thailand was amazing. Although most of the villagers spoke little English, it was very interesting to find out how they lived, and staying in a homestay meant that we were able to experience the food and customs. Working with the elephants was a great privilege: we followed them into the forest, and twice a week did health checks which allowed us to touch the elephants and get close to them. We were assigned one elephant during our stay, and I felt very close to mine by the time I left. The staff on the project were extremely professional, with attention to safety and a thorough training programme. The interactions with the local villagers were always respectful and our impact on the village was always carefully considered. Top memories for me include watching the baby elephants playing with each other, teaching the Mahouts English, talking in a broken mixture of English and the local language to my homestay family, and meeting other wonderful volunteers and staff. The project wasn't too physical, but the village is located on a steep hill, and the hot climate makes activity draining at times. I learned a lot about the plight of the Asian elephant during my stay, and I really felt that I made a difference to the lives of the elephants, and the villagers, by volunteering on this project.

Rachel
Sydney, NSW, Australia
University of Sydney

Best month of my life!

The month I spent in Huay Pakoot was by far the best in my life. This program is a truly amazing experience for anyone who like animals or likes experiencing other cultures.
On arrival in Huay Pakoot, a tiny, beautiful village nestled deep in the mountains of Northern Thailand, each volunteer is assigned an elephant with whom they will be working closely with for the time they are there. Each day, volunteers go on hikes with the elephants. Three times a week, these hikes involve collecting data on how the elephants are eating and socialising (to determine whether or not they were adapting to their new life), and the other two days a week hikes finish with a general health check on the elephants. It is during this time that you get to go up close and personal with your elephant, and learn about her personality, behaviour and needs. It was really humbling to be so close to such a magnificent animal, and getting to know your elephant is really cool. I really enjoyed the health checks for this reason.
Watching the elephants foraging in the forest and behaving like elephants should naturally was a really good experience too. Knowing that these elephants have had a tough past (having worked in tourist camps and logging) and then seeing them happy and healthy in their native environment was heartwarming. It was when you could see that this program was making a difference to their lives.
Staff were very safety conscious when we were around the elephants which was comforting, though at times I almost felt like this was taken a little too far and it occasionally limited our hikes or time with the elephants. I also always felt very safe in the village at all times.
Other day-to-day activities included English teaching, running events at the school, participating in anything that was happening in the village, going grass-cutting, Friday night parties, optional weekend trips and much more. I really liked the variety that this program offered - you could participate in as much or as little as you liked. For example, I really enjoyed teaching English to the children and the mahouts, however I know some other volunteers weren't as into this, so it was totally up to them whether they got involved.
The villagers were such beautiful people. It was great getting to know them, especially the mahouts and my homestay family. Each volunteer stays with a homestay family, and I got really close with mine. Saying goodbye to my homestay family was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. The village is a Karen hill tribe village and thus the language (called 'Pakinyoh') is completely separate from Thai, so we were encouraged to try to learn some basic Pakinyoh and try it out on the villagers. They always loved hearing us try to speak it!
Life in the village is very laid-back, we had a lot of free time to sit back and relax if we so chose. Though living conditions were basic (matresses on the floor, squat toilets and cold bucket showers), I felt it was all part of the experience and it didn't make me enjoy my time there any less. Also, the food was absolutely amazing. Every lunch and dinner was prepared by your homestay family, and was always delicious. They also easily cater for vegetarians.
Value for money was very good in that it includes all food and accommodation, so you really don't need much money at all while you are on the project.
GVI were extremely helpful during the application process. They contacted you directly via phone shortly after booking to satisfy any queries and fill you in on project details, and were very thorough with sending checklists of what you needed to prepare for a bring.
The only negative point I really have is that the program is so good that it makes it impossible to leave without crying your eyes out! I still miss the village and the elephants every single day. I would definitely recommend this program to all of my friends, and hope I can go back myself some day!

Matthew
Dunolly, Victoria, Australia
RMIT

Huay Pakoot: a village experience

The early morning wakeups, I thought, would be a hassle. Yet with the scenery, and the somewhat vocal roosters, it was a joy to wake up to the beautiful village with a warm breakfast not too far away. After breakfast in the peaceful village, depending on the day; Ele Grass Cutting and other events (e.g. Basket Weaving, English Teaching and base duties), or casually trekking through the forest with 5 wonderful elephants and their mahouts would occur at 8am.
What may seem like a barrier to an outsider, the language (Packinyo) proves an excellent tool to get well acquainted to your host family- even if there are a few miss communications every once and a while. This, however, would have been my favourite experience within my time spent on the program. Being at the forefront of learning and developing a handbook to learn a new language is phenomenal, and sharing this experience with a bunch of diverse individuals only inspired us even more!
Not to neglect the elephants, though as they are, of course, wonderful. From your first day feeding your elephant bananas, to health checks every second day, it seems as if there is an instant connection. The beauty of walking with them comes not only from Tong Dees’ ridiculously slow pace, but the time that you then get to spend with the other volunteers and their somewhat distressing Elephant Baby Voices. Hiking, personally, was a breeze. If you are a little unfit, it may be a struggle, however no one (in my time) couldn’t finish a hike. They generally span for 2-3 and half hours, with every second day being data collection. This would involve, observing their behaviour in terms of trunk touching from one Ele to another, eating, defecating (always exciting to prod poo!) and who they spend most of their time with while foraging naturally.
While the Ele’s favourite meal seems to be musah-toh (pounded chili)- from the Mahouts perspective; as a volunteer you start developing an understanding of the plant biology to really double think when that answer is given. Rather, you quickly find that Va Su (Bamboo) and Boo Kay Sah (Corn) is on the menu. Luckily, this information has been offered to be analysed by a behavioural analyst, and along with our own interpretations- we are able to determine whether one Elephant is spending more time alone or with a particular Elephant instead.
In between data collection, there is a lot of free time where you can choose to visit top shop to buy 2 baht cookies and other food, or rather spend time with your host family and help them cook: it’s really up to you!
My time spent in Huay Pakoot was unforgettable, unimaginably rewarding and overall one thing I would definitely tell others to do. It’s easy to leave a footprint on such a recently developed program, are you ready to leave yours?

Sam
Melbourne

Life in the mountains

I decided to apply for GVI whilst taking my gap year. It was the best decision I have ever made!
Over my two month stay I really felt like a part of the community. The community, villagers and volunteers alike, were so welcoming and helpful with anything and everything.
A normal day would consist of hiking with the elephants and working in community development, wheather it be teaching or working on gardens etc.
My highlights would be the health checks on the elephants, getting up close and personal with the elephants, and starting to collect plant info through talking to the chief and mahoots as well as going on hikes to get geographical information on where the plants can be found around the village.

r0wly
London
Loughborough University

Amazing animals, amazing staff, amazing trip

An absolute amazing trip the best experience of my life. The elephants are incredible animals.
I loved every aspect of the trip bar the cold water showers, but even then on very hot days and long hikes even they were good.
The treks can be difficult as there a few steep hills, but the views and the elephants are more than worth the hard work.
The hands on approach with the elephants meant a lot of bonding with your elephants which I loved so much.
The village is little isolated but that there are options to go out for the weekend, whilst i was there we went to May Hon son and a charity based hostel. In the village the weekends are very relaxed which can be nice as the days can be quite long but amazing.
Other than the elephants your time is spent doing other volunteering projects during my time we were setting up a garden for elephants grass and another one for vegetables and herds which was a very fulfilling experience. I was in charge of designing and building a compost heap for the group out of bamboo which was amazing. There is a also a chance to teach English to school children very rewarding.

Sarah
Canberra, Australia
Australian National University

Caring for Elephants! Incredible.

I had the most amazing experience on this trip! I went to the north of Thailand to help with elephant and wildlife conservation and community projects in the village we stayed in. I went for 3 weeks and it definitely was not enough! It included a home-stay family for you, food, funding for supplies (eg. paper, pens, etc.) for the coordinators and interns, water, food for the elephants and many others. It was very easy to apply and pay for, and I thought it was the best value for money! The village we stay in is small and very community-based, it has no internet or phone service, but it's so refreshing to get away from all that for a while! Every second day we would walk the elephants out to the mountains, record how they interact with each other, eat lunch in the mountains, and walk back so they can have those nights by themselves. The other days we would walk out to find them and bring them back to the village. Weekends we could stay in the village or visit other towns, and there was always spare time! The group would sometimes be split; some would help around the community while others would go out and collect grass for the elephants. It's a little bit challenging, and the mountains can be difficult to climb, but that's what makes it fun; it's different, you're out in nature, you're actually doing something for these amazing animals and the community that surrounds them. It was just the most rewarding and incredible experience and I am going back every year :)

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered