GVI: Volunteer in Thailand

View from the volunteer base
View from the volunteer base
So much love for Thong Dee
So much love for Thong Dee

GVI offers a variety of programs in Thailand driven by sustainability in a global, social, environmental, and conservationist context. With bases in Chiang Mai and Phang Nga, you could get involved in education, marine and wildlife conservation, volunteering with children, supporting public health, community development, or contributing towards construction based activities.

While you will be actively assisting in GVI’s efforts to reach the UN Sustainable Development objectives of each project, there will also be ample opportunity for you to travel independently in your own time, or with your international volunteering peers. Explore beaches, verdant jungles and woodlands, mountainous terrain or a variety of coastal islets. This is a travel expedition with the purpose to make a meaningful impact.

• Support global sustainable efforts that contribute towards the long-term objectives of a program.
  • Learn about and assist projects in reaching their UN Sustainable Development Goals.
  • Live and travel in Thailand, connecting with local community and other international volunteers.
  • Become a world citizen as you learn about different cultures, lifestyles, local cuisines, and traditions.
  • Improve your CV by gaining skills in marine and wildlife conservation, teaching, health education, and community development.

GVI has a Community Development Internship in Thailand!

This is an opportunity to learn more about Chiang Mai's local Karen hill tribe culture, gaining intercultural communication skills and valuable teaching experience.

Popular Programs

In Northern Thailand, support local communities and elephant caretakers in alleviating elephants from the tourism industry. Learn about these intelligent land animals as they recover in expansive Chiang Mai forest grounds as a semi-wild herd. Live among and gain a better understanding of the culturally diverse Karen communities, while contributing towards the projects UN Sustainable Development Goals and traveling in your own time.

In Phang Nga, a province with abundant biodiverse land and marine life, contribute towards conservation efforts to protect local species and habitats. Enjoy tropical climates, waters, natural islets, and an experiential educational experience. You could gain skills in conservation, surveying, camera trapping, and coral reef and species identification, to name a few. Travel and meet participants from around the world, all while contributing towards long-term sustainable goals.

Contribute towards health education in Phang Nga. Assist local teachers to encourage positive health practices in children and young adults of the province, and contribute towards the UN Development Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being. The opportunity to support a variety of educational classes are available in sports education, language and social developments, with valuable long-term impacts on the community.

In Chiang Mai you’ll have a diversified experience in cultural immersion while living among the local Karen community. You can learn about traditional cooking, clothes weaving, and jewelry creation. Participate in professional development classes for women in the community, animal education and conservation projects. You’ll also learn about elephants and their caretakers during health checks and forest hikes, and gain a better understanding of gender roles within the community.

As plastic pollution continues to threaten the environment, participate in this conservation program to encourage plastic reduction and effective waste practices in the community of Phang Nga. Support efforts to protect the endangered green sea turtle and gain conservation, reef monitoring, and species identification skills. By encouraging environmental awareness through education, the local community is empowered to work together to combat the many environmental threats they face.

Teach English to local youth, supporting the development of their language abilities. As a frequently touristed country, learning English is valuable for future employment possibilities. You’ll also develop your own professional planning and facilitation skills and assist in the UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education. GVI ensures that child protection policies are in place for any program involving youth and vulnerable adults to ensure ethical best practices.

For the homestay in Thailand you have your own space/room at the locals house. You get up early and are out with the Elephants and other volunteers all day. Some nights you have dinner with the alone and try and learn each others languages.

Erin

GVI Chiang Mai

I made the most amazing memories during the 2 months I spent with GVI Chiang Mai. Getting to see elephants up close in the wild was truly a magnificent experience and something I will never forget. It was not just the elephants that made the experience amazing. The community of Huay Pakoot, is something really to behold. Getting to live amongst a community that is so far removed from what we can imagine from western society, is honestly one of the most eye opening experiences i’ve Ever had.
I also met some truly amazing people during my time there. Some of which I would now consider life long friends.
I would recommend this programme to anybody, young and old. It’s draws in people from all facets of life. I want to go back as soon as I possibly can, and can not wait.

Try and make time to go on this project for a least a month
Georgia

Fun times with the Ellys

After enjoying my time down south working with the turtles I decided to return to Thailand and spend some time with the elephants. I volunteered for 4 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I hadn’t ever travelled solo before and this experience was a great first step. Mornings consisted of early rises and a hike to visit the elephants. Each hike was completely different as the elephants are always moving around the forest. Our Mahouts were there to help every step of the way, directing us with the safest routes in the overgrown forest. This programme offers more than just quality time with the elephants, it allows you so immerse yourself in their culture. From chatting to the mahouts on hikes to weaving bags with the local women to playing football with the children at school. In just a short period of 4 weeks I met friends that I will stay friends with for years to come. Volunteers are encouraged to do work after leaving the programme so there’s always new ways to get involved and help the programme from back home.

I was able to put myself out my comfort zone but had 15 or so other volunteers to support me. I was able to meet people from all over the world and hear about their lives back home and how they varied to my own. It will be an experience you will always cherish, you learn to live without the luxuries you have back home and it’s such a refreshing experience.

Be prepared to put yourself out of your comfort zone and embrace your experience.

Don’t forget to bring some yummy snacks from home as Tesco is 4 hours away :)
Katie

Get me back!

All it took was 24 hours in Hauy Pakoot to convince me that this would not be the last I see of the village and the wonderful people in the village and the programme! I cannot stress enough that this is a programme everyone should do at least once in their life. The impact that this programme and the people who run it have on the community of Hauy Pakoot is clear to see as soon as you arrive, they really have immersed themselves, with volunteers making life long friends with not only each other but the locals as well! Is it any surprise that volunteers keep going back, sometimes 7 times? I'd like to say thank you to the amazing staff and people of Hauy Pakoot for the life changing experience and I'll see you all in a year for a 3 month internship!

What was your funniest moment?
The one hike after it had rained for 2 days when I fell over probably over 10 times and not one part of me wasn't covered in mud!
Kayley

An amazing experience!

Volunteering with GVI in Phang Nga was the most rewarding opportunity! I spent two weeks teaching English in a small rural village in southern Thailand. Even in the short time I volunteered, I managed to make long-lasting friends and experience so much more than your average traveller. The kids were great fun and definitely made the experience more energetic! Food was amazing and catered for everyone, fresh Thai food cooked twice a day by local villagers. GVI have an amazing relationship with the community and you can tell the local villagers respect the development and education they offer. Aspects were challenging but this made the project increasingly worthwhile and humbling. The atmosphere on base is so friendly and I would love to volunteer with GVI again in the future!

Better support from staff on arrival to make us feel more welcome during the first 2 days- we needed ice breakers!
Luanne

The project was an incredibly interesting experience

Translation: The elephant project in Huay Pakoot was a great opportunity for me to get to know another country with a different culture. By living in a host family, I got to know the Asian culture much better than ordinary tourists. My host family was very adorable and a good family substitute. The work with the elephants was as impressive as I imagined. You have the opportunity to get close to the animals without harming them, as they do not live in captivity. In addition, I got to know a lot of different people from different places in the project, who quickly became friends. The project was an incredibly interesting experience that I would do again at any time.

Original: Das Elefantenprojekt in Huay Pakoot war fuer mich eine gute Moeglichkeit, ein anderes Land, mit einer anderen Kultur kennen zu lernen. Dadurch, dass ich in einer Gastfamilie gelebt habe, habe ich die asiatische Kultur wesentlich besser kennen gelernt, als gewoehnliche Touristen. Meine Gastfamilie war sehr liebenswert und ein guter Familienersatz. Die Arbeit mit den Elefanten war genauso beeindruckend, wie ich sie mir vorgestellt habe. Man hat die Moeglichkeit, den Tieren nah zu kommen, ohne ihnen zu schaden, da sie nicht in Gefangenschaft leben. Zudem habe ich bei dem Projekt viele unterschiedliche Menschen, aus verschieden Orten kennen gelernt, die ziemlich schnell zu Freunden wurde. Das Projekt war eine unglaublich interessante Erfahrung, die ich jederzeit wieder tun wuerde.

Nichts
Delphine

Da Blue

Translation: This experience is to live at least once in his life. We think we know each other perfectly; but here, without our usual comfort, we discover more. We go over some fears or fears and so on. We are also learning to surpass ourselves. The fact of being very close to the elephants (who are the basis of the project) is amazing.

In this project, we take care of the elephants (their state of health ...), but we are always in contact with the families of the village, staff members and other volunteers. The laughter, the discussions, the exchanged glances bring a lot!
We leave this beautiful place, Huay Pakoot, not only with many memories in mind, but also with another state of mind.

Original: Cette experience est a vivre au moins une fois dans sa vie. Nous pensons nous connaitre parfaitement; mais ici, sans notre petit confort habituel, nous nous decouvrons davantage. Nous passons au dessus de certaines peurs ou craintes et j'en passe. Nous apprenons egalement a nous surpasser. Le fait d'etre tres close des elephants (qui sont la base du projet) est amazing.
Dans ce projet, nous nous preoccupons des elephants (leur etat de sante...), mais aussi nous sommes en permanence en contacte avec les familles du village, les membres du staff et les autres volontaires. Les rires, les discutions, les regards echanges apportent beaucoup!
Nous quittons ce bel endroit, Huay Pakoot, non seulement avec pleins de souvenirs en tete, mais aussi avec un autre etat d'esprit.

c'est une experience magnifique...
Lauren

Da Blue

I had an amazing experience whilst on the project and would highly recommend it! Whilst here we went on daily elephant hikes, these were great as you get to experience being in the company of elephants whilst they are in their natural environment. I also helped out at the school and the nursery whilst on the project, this was a great opportunity to interact with the local children, have fun and teach them english, it was great to see them learning new things and know you were a part of that process. Staying in a homestay with a family from the village really immerses you into the culture, this along with frequent activities run by other villagers helps you pick up the language quicker, a great way to get to know everyone better, and makes you enjoy your time even more.

I do wish to suggest any improvements for this program.
Emily

My GVI Family !

Throughout my 4 weeks in Thailand working with GVI Chiang Mai project, I had the chance to experience not only the beautiful culture of the Karen people in Huay Pakoot, but also the beautiful nature of Asian elephants in their natural habitats. What surprised me the most was the abundance of community work available for us to take part in. This included going to the local school 2 days a week as a TA, doing one on ones with individuals around the village, mahout dinners, cooking classes, bamboo cup making classes and many more ! There was constantly something going on to ensure we were completely immersed in the community and constantly learning and experiencing. Like many things, it is the people that ultimately make the experience. That includes not only the villagers but the GVI staff, interns and the other volunteers ! We became a family and one that I will most definitely have for life. We hiked together, taught together, learned Pakinyaw (the local language) together and grew together ! This was the experience of a lifetime and I can hardly wait to get back and be reunited with my new GVI family in my new home of Huay Pakoot.

What was your funniest moment?
Every Wednesday was quiz night and my first quiz included an impressions round. We each had to do an impression of one of the other volunteers and some people got really creative with it - it was hilarious !
Jimena

One of the best experiences in my life

One of the best experiences in my life, every day in the village was amazing. Walking to base every morning, looking at the sunrise, greeting the villagers and dogs around. Eating breakfast, and then going on an awesome hike, each time better than the first, with the opportunity to do night hikes and cave hikes to see other flora and fauna from Thailand. After an always great hike, and beautiful elephants and other interesting creatures, going back to eat homemade lunch by the host family with everyone at base, while chatting and looking at the amazing scenery. After that learning about many different subjects, from elephant conservation, and nature, to social and cultural subjects. Learning the Karen language to be able to communicate deeply with the locals and host family. Then eating diner, sometimes just having it at the host family house, sometimes having it as a cooking class and others sharing with everyone, always having fun. Then going to different English class getting to know the locals, and mahouts (the elephant companions how are in charge of watching them and making sure they are alright) Sometimes have great workshops like basket weaving, or cloths weaving just mentioning some of the most outstanding for me. And after that amazing day, just chilling at base with everyone, watching a movie, playing games, or maybe just going back home and chilling with the host family and learning from them. At the end after all the amazingness of the day, just going back to sleep and having another day just like this next morning. All that I mention it’s just a tiny bit of what all of this is.
It was an unforgettable experience, with a lot of new friends and new adventures and experiences to share.

Go on every hike you can, do as many workshops as you can. Try to learn the language, you will make more friends form the village and learn more about their culture. (though learning the language its not necesary for this, but its a plus) Don´t think too much about it and just go, its amazing!
Emma

The trip that changed my life!

I spent a month in the beautiful mountens of Chiang Mai, in a little village called Huay Pakoot. In this villige I got to observe and follow such butiful and amazing elephants everyday on our hikes. I loved how seeing these extraordinary gentle giants everyday got so normal to me after a wile but still gave me an amazing feeling every time, even on my last hike. This trip didn’t just open my eyes and heart to elephants, it also gave me friends for life and experiences i will never forget. I got the opportunity to teach english to the children in the local school and also just to visit some of the villagers and learn about them and their culture. I also learned so much about myself and what I’m capable of and that is something that this program has given me that i always will be grateful for. The villagers og Huay Pakoot opened their homes and hearts to me and I’m so greatful for the people i met their. My home and heart is now in Huay Pakoot.

The most important advice i would like to give is to have an open mind and also try out as much as you can to get the best experience.
Darby

Experience of a lifetime

GVI Chiang Mai was the best volunteer experience I have ever had. They were very helpful with the pre-depature process and made my first time traveling abroad alone less stressful. Once I arrived in the village and started doing the elephant hikes, I knew I made the right choice with this program. Our days were always busy, but it was something fun and meaningful. Every morning would start with an elephant hike with one of the mahouts. After we got back, we would have lunch and watch some presentations. On certain days we would go teach English at the school and play sports with the kids, or we would do litter picks around the village. There were many opportunities to get involved in the village to have a full cultural experience. GVI Chiang Mai was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about elephants and a new culture.

Get involved in everything you can while in the village
Fauve

Changed my way of travelling forever!

From the moment I signed up for the project I knew it was the best decision I made. I needed to get away from my job that I didnt like at the time so finding this project was the best thing that could have happened. I was apprehensive about going to Thailand and not knowing what to expect but from the moment I got there, met the staff and new volunteers I felt at ease and new it was going to be an amazing 6 weeks. This was my second experience as a volunteer and it will forever be my favourite. There is no better feeling than working with animals especially in their natural environment. Getting to hike every day with these beautiful creatures was something out of this world. The project is great and was everything I expected and more! The staff on the project are great at what they do and make sure we got the best experience!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hiking with elephants 5 days a week! It never got old! Getting to take data and making sure the elephants were in full health was something very rewarding also
lucy

Amazing

I was volunteering for a month with the elephants in thailand and it was the most amazing experience ever! The daily hikes were exciting and interesting and all the villagers and mahouts were so nice and friendly. The staff and all the other volunteers were so kind and nice and i’ve made friends for life over there, I would highly reccomend this programme as every aspect of it is amazing. Waking up each morning at 6am seemed very hard at first but it’s really easy to get used to like everything on the programme. You’re all in the same boat with the other volunteers and you all bond quickly making it very comfortable during the day to relax with eachother. Eating dinner with your homestay family is amazing because you get to know them well and experience their daily life.

Keep an open mind and embrace everything on the programme.
Amandine

The most eye opening experience!

I joined this program thinking it would just be elephant hikes. I was amazed at how there were so many activities everyday, the staff and volunteers always interacted with us. No one was ever excluded, we all became a big family so quickly. The staff and long term interns/volunteers were super helpful in the adjustment of the culture shock as well. I loved how we got right into it coming to the village after settling into our home stays. We always had something to do. If we weren't interest in one thing, there would be other activities going on at the same time. It was amazing to learn so much about the elephants, on every hike the leaders would be so well prepared and full of knowledge. We got to learn the village's dialect which was nice to practice and communicate with the people from the village. It was incredible to see how well GVI works as a team with the locals. I really enjoyed living the local lifestyle and everyone came form different places. It was such a diverse experience and would recommend going through GVI! They are super quick to respond to any questions or concerns in advance to prepare you for all you need to know for your trip. So easily reachable and I can honestly say I have made so many new friends. I want to go back already!

Bring bug spray and sun screen! Lots of hiking and old clothes that you don't care about getting dirty!
Megan

Life changing

My experience at GVI Phang Nga was incredible! I am currently a dental student at Cardiff University and used this to create dental workshops for the children. Combining my devotion to help others and the career I love was something I had aspired to do. Phang Nga trusted me with this and attached are some images of my work with the children. The disabled centre, visited daily, will forever have a special place in my heart. The children are the most kind and caring children I have ever met. The 'land of smiles' that Thailand is known for most certainly exceeded expectations. Activities outside of curriculum time were also enjoyable. Quiz nights occurred every week, cocktails at Thai life were cheap and tasty! Zumba classes in the village were so fun. The community really did make us feel welcome and only a 'donation' was required. I also attended a Mai Thai class just outside of the village. The heat and hard work combined was a nightmare! Sweaty to say the least! Nevertheless, very enjoyable and instructors were hands on and a good laugh. The staff on base and off base were phenomenal. Supportive, considerate and a great laugh. That leaves the other volunteers. I can truly say that I have made friends from all over the world; majority I'll stay in contact with for the rest of my life. The weekends off base we all spent together were some of the best experiences of my life. We visited Bangkok, Khao Lak, Khao Sok, Old Town Phuket and Patong. And yet, there was still more I wish I'd seen!

Prepare for a cold shower, mosquito nets and plenty of insects!

Location:
Don Mueang Airport
( DNK )
Phuket Airport
( HKT )

Thailand has become the most tourist visited country in Southeast Asia. This country provides dense jungles, beautiful beaches, world-class shopping, and stunning architecture. No matter your budget, there is something for you to take part in in Thailand.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About GVI

Founded in 1998, GVI runs programs in various countries around the world, each manned by our own staff and aligned to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), as well as the objectives of local partners. We welcome participants...