• China

Small Group (1-15)

Pricing

$150 USD
Price include:
Accommodation: shared accommodation/stay with a host family
Food: 3 meals per day
Airport-pick up and transfer
Orientation: Introduction to China, Culture and Customs, Rules and Expectations, Safety, Travel Opportunities, Introduction to Project and Placement, Sightseeing in Shanghai.
Support: countrywide 24/7 support
Monthly culture immersion activities

NOT include:
Flights
Visas
Personal expenses
Mandarin classes (We can help you register for language courses if you would like to learn Mandarin during your spare time. This will incur an additional cost.)
Insurance: Travel health insurance
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
Nov 05, 2019
Dec 14, 2018

This project gives you the opportunity to make a difference where it is most needed, whilst exploring one of the most successful and modern cities in China: Shanghai. As a volunteer, you will be staying in an orphanage center, located in a children’s hospital, where the injured and sick orphans are sent to receive better medical treatment. These children arrive from other orphanages in rural areas of China and with your love and care you can help them through their recovery.

Responsibilities:

Assist with daily operations: preparing food, serving meals, cleaning, and arranging activities for the children.

Assist in teaching the center staff improve their English, so that they can better communicate with adoptive families from overseas.

Program Highlights

• Monthly culture immersion activities
  • Airport pickup
  • Accommodation (shared or host family)
  • 3 meals/day

Elizabeth

Meaningful and Impactful Volunteer Experience with Wanderlust!

I had a wonderful experience volunteering through Wanderlust in Shanghai and hope others consider this as an option as they look for volunteer/abroad programs. As a young professional with a couple of months off from work, I was looking for a program that was both flexible with timing and impactful. When I came across Wanderlust's Orphanage program I was really excited by both the mission and the flexibility (ability to volunteer for 2-4 weeks vs. 2-4 months). The Wanderlust Program team was so patient and helpful as I navigated the application process and eventually arrived in China. Since I had some Chinese language background and had previously studied abroad in Shanghai, I was already culturally adjusted to living in China, but the Wanderlust team made it even more special by providing me with an additional community of volunteers and au pairs to get to know. The overall volunteer experience was really great. I spent three weeks with an orphanage located in a children's hospital in Shanghai. The staff at the orphanage were absolutely amazing, so kind, welcoming, and really cared about the children. While I was volunteering I mostly assisted with teaching one of the kids English, I also had the opportunity to join in on art and music classes with the other children. Overall, just a fantastic experience and I would have never known about it if I hadn't found Wanderlust. I hope to go back and volunteer again in the future!

Response from Wanderlust Exchange

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your lovely words and sharing your experience in volunteering in Shanghai.

It is such a pleasure to have an aupair like you, who is passionate about Chinese culture and gave so much love to those children in need.

We are happy for you that you enjoyed this experience.

We wish you every success in the furture!

Wanderlust Exchange