Teach English in a Homestay in China for 1, 2, or 3 Months with Greenheart Travel

Make international friends in China
Explore the country while tutoring in China
Explore the country while tutoring in China
teach in a homestay in China with Greenheart Travel
teach in a homestay in China with Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel's Teach in a Homestay program gives participants an opportunity to tutor members of their Chinese host families in conversational English for 15 hours per week and learn Mandarin. The rest of the time is yours to experience life in Beijing, which is home to countless heritage landmarks including Tiananmen Square, the Imperial Palace, and of course the Great Wall.

Travel dates are flexible and programs run from 1-3 months in length.

Program cost: $1,120 for 1, 2, or 3 month program lengths

This is a volunteer teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and exchange. This program is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad.

• Small monthly stipend if all teaching requirements are met
  • Assistance from a personal program manager before, during and after your program
  • 15 hours of tutoring per week leaves time to explore the country
  • 24 Emergency contact service and medical insurance included
  • Pre-departure orientation & cultural training provided by your program manager

Lauren

Home away from home in China

I came to China via Greenheart having used them already in 2015 to complete a programme in Thailand. Once again, Greenheart were very well organised, pragmatic and supportive throughout the entire process. Greenheart had less involvement in the programme than when I went to the teaching placement in Thailand, as there was no introductory weeks of lessons, activities etc. I was regularly in contact with Greenheart staff however, who were especially supportive when I was having a tough time in my homestay struggling with cultural difference and homesickness. The lady I spoke to had suggestions, encouragement and liaised with my boss of the company that I was handed over to, in order to help me though my issues and feel more at home in China. By the end I didn't want to leave! I also had an alumni discount for this programme, which is also great as we all know that money can be an issue when you have itchy feet. I would definitely recommend the home-stay programmes as an immersive and humbling experience, however i might suggest going on a paid teaching programme first like I did in order to get to grips with culture shock and first-time working abroad with others in the same boat before going it alone.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Chicken feet. Deep fried duck bones. Rice wine. Apart from these three awful things, China had the best food I've had in my life. Chinese home cooking rocks!
Ashleigh

Just What I Was Looking For

If you're looking for a casual homestay for cheap you can stop looking because you found it! I stayed in China for two months and absolutely loved it. You get attached to the host family very quickly and they become like your real family, it's crazy! I felt completely safe and knew my program manager was an email away at all times. They walk you through every step before you leave and you always know what's happening. Little tip: if you want to stay in China longer than a month, you might need to look into getting a student visa instead of a tourist one. That's what I had to do!

Airport pick up could be a little more organized. I was lost in the airport for a few hours trying to find the girl that was supposed to pick me up, but I didn't have phone service yet!
Afia

Teaching English in a Homestay in China with Greenheart Travel

My homestay experience in China was the experience of a lifetime. Although my stay was only for a month, it offered me actual first-hand experience and a wonderful glimpse into the lives of Beijingers. I was able to delve into Chinese culture, customs, and cuisine. Blogging and taking photography as I traveled, I was able to document some of the best moments of living in Beijing, China. What was great about Greenheart was that they were with me every step of the way. Greenheart Representatives Megan and Jill were diligent about making sure my stay was going smoothly and that I made the most out of the experience.

I liked teaching in a homestay through Greenheart because they were able to provide me with a secure network through their partner companies and I felt safe at all times. I also was able to have constant support while abroad: no question that I had was left unanswered. China is Greenheart's least popular destination, but I do encourage travelers to go, even if it's just for the experience. It was very affordable to stay, I had amazing host family experiences and overall I am happy that I made the choice to go. The kids I tutored were just a joy.

My tutoring hours were very reasonable and I was able to explore an array of tourist attractions on my own time such as the Great Wall of China, Summer Palace, the Beijing Zoo, the Temple of Heaven and different cities in Beijing. It was all so worth it.

I encourage you to plan ahead, pack your bags, and just go! You will not regret this experience of a lifetime.

About Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel is a 501(c)3 non-profit, mission driven organization based in Chicago, USA. We are passionate about providing immersive cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. We believe in the power...