Colombia: Magical Realism

Colombia: Magical Realism

The home of breathtaking scenery and exquisite coffee, Colombia provides volunteers with a chance to medically serve local coffee plantation communities that are truly in need.

Colombia has a deep Spanish influence that can be seen and heard throughout the country. Through ISL, volunteers can learn and give back to this amazing nation! ISL Teams travel in groups ranging from 6 to 16 and are accompanied by ISL medical professionals and staff.

ISL serves small villages in the high-altitude coffee region of central Colombia which are too far for regional hospitals to provide health care on a regular basis. These farm-working communities mostly live an agrarian subsistence living off the land and harvesting coffee beans that ultimately end up in your coffee at McDonalds and Starbucks. Note: this trip requires a lot of hiking!

Colombia has both Global Health and Nursing teams traveling year round.

Check out our website for more details!

South America » Colombia » Bogota
South America » Colombia
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Two meals per day, all lodging, land and water transport, guides, tips, museum and event fees, field academic program costs, border costs, security costs and project supplies.

Hello! I am not entirely sure but you can contact the country program coordinator Glen Galindo with any questions I believe he can probably make that happen for you. His information is: Glen G. Galindo, Ed.M Abroad Service Advisor Colombia Country Coordinator ISL - International Service Learning Email: [email protected]Lonline.org US Cell: 509-432-1921 (US) Colombia: 323-505-5710 (COL) Skype: glen_galindo W...

Valeria
Portland, Oregon
Oregon State University

An unforgettable life changing experience

Serving in impoverished communities in small remote villages near Chinchiná, Colombia opened my eyes towards the privileged life that I live. In one of our usual door to door check in’s we met a family in which the son and the daughter had a chest bone deformity. They have been to several doctors who have concluded that as long as this condition doesn't affect their internal organs and their breathing they will have to live with it. The mother told us that her daughter started having some difficulty breathing due to the deformity and so the specialist that they saw suggested a surgery. We chatted with them about their life and their hobbies and school. The girl was highly praised by the teachers at school and aspired to become a doctor some day. The boy was saying that he doesn't mind his bone deformity because it allows him to have an advantage when playing soccer. We all had a laugh and realized that this family is truly living by enjoying life the best they can despite difficulties. Over and over again I had the privilege of hearing similar stories in which I realized that possessions, money, or any other material thing is nothing compared to living a joyful life surrounded by your family and friends. The many Colombians that I have met have strong family values and do things that make them happy even if they are struggling financially and living a difficult life. They always gave thanks for what they had and stated that they're doing the best they can. Being part of this experience broadened my view on humanity, on life and brought new joy and purpose.

I believe the program could be improved in a few ways, here are some suggestions:
1. Having a space where the volunteers can have the ability to make their own meals in the spare time available.
2. Allowing volunteers the opportunity to do triaging and be taught the ability to triage during clinics.
3. During the first day when visiting villages (when walking for a long time) being allowed to wear a t-shirt with company logo and longer shorts or sport pants instead of scrubs (which get dusty and is difficult to hike long period of times in.
4. For the classroom sessions when learning new techniques or about different diseases making them more concise and possibly earlier during the day in such a way that it can free up the evenings for other cultural activities can be nice.
This is by no means a critique of they way the program is being run currently, these are just a few ideas that come to mind that could of improved the program for me.

James
Buda, Texas
Baylor University

Colombia Medical Mission Trip

I've been on 4 medical mission trips and the one I took to Colombia was by far the best. The staff that was involved is the main reason the trip was so successful. Glen and his staff made it clear that they were as dedicated to helping our patients as we were. It was one of the best learning experiences I have ever been through. Nothing will compare to the experience this trip gave me.

Have the plan for how the clinics will be set up and run ready to go before we get there.

Tracey
Las Vegas, Nevada

Chinchina Colombia

ISL is such an amazing organization that helps bring helpful hands to a country and people in need and fills the hearts of both the giver and receiver. Thank you for an amazing experience! ISL helps coordinate the housing, transportation, areas to visit, most of the food and connect those in need with those of us with medical skills. The house visits were my favorite as you get to be inside the humble homes and really see how the people live. The clinic days are wonderful and busy and we learned so much about common and tropical diseases. We learned more things you could never learn in a textbook. Thank you ISL!

1. Continue to have the orientation day include practice and role play.
2. Improve the house visit and clinical worksheets to be better coordinated and shorter.
3. Have Tracey Long teach all the classes!

Rolando
Waco, Texas
Baylor University

Experience of a Lifetime

I have gone on several medical mission trips in my life and this is by far the best. The doctors and staff took excellent care of all the students that attended. Not once did I ever feel unsafe or scared, I only felt welcomed to a country that I had never been to before. I would love to participate with this team again! This truly was an experience of a lifetime that I wish everyone could enjoy.

If the program included every single meal, only breakfast and lunch was covered in the tuition of the trip.

Sonny
Los Angeles, California

Amazing

The experience was too valuable to put into words. Being immersed in the culture and language really taught me things that I wouldn't have learned elsewhere. The impact we had was the best fulfillment.

The only thing that I would change is to have more off program time with the local bilingual assistants because that is where I think the best growth in language can happen.

International Service Learning (ISL) has been connecting volunteers with meaningful service projects and educational opportunities around the world for more than 20 years. ISL's staff are professionals in health care, travel, transpiration, translation, etc. The support ISL offers its volunteers is unmatched. ISL sends volunteers