EMT Volunteer Program - International EMT Certification (Optional)

Learn First Responder Skills, Save lives and Experience Colombia. We are United Hatzalah Colombia, the fastest and free medical and emergency service for the people of Colombia.
Volunteering with us, you will get practical experience attending patients and solving real emergencies. You will also visit local homes, provide assistance at festivals, do search and rescue operations in the highlands.

While you train and gain an international first responder certification, you will be another member of our team. During the program you will:
- Attend emergencies in our ambulances,
-Patrol with us in our motorbike ambulances
-Help us with our health camps in local communities.
-In some cases, you will get some experience at local hospitals

You will not only learn how to save a life, but you will also get to save lives! We work 24 hours all year round to serve the Colombian people.

Minimum Qualifications?
-You will have a basic first aid course
-You want to help and serve

• Gain an international certification
  • Have a real impact in the local community
  • Learn pre hospital emergency care skills
  • Learn Spanish while saving lives
  • Have the time of your life

Attention Pre-Med Students!

If you would like to get hands-on experience in the field, join us! In Colombia, you will not be shadowing-- you will be doing.

Jon

Fulfilling Experience in Colombia

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my time volunteering with United Hatzalah Colombia, I have done tons of volunteering abroad but this was none like any I had done before. It was such a cool experience in a great country with such great people, I have no doubt I have made life long friends down here. It was so great to be there when someone really needed help and was truly humbling. Would highly recommend, cant say enough good things about it. Thanks to Mike and the United Hatzalah Colombia team for such a great experience, will never forget it!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Would definitely want to stay for longer, was really enjoyable so i highly recommend booking for a few months!
Brad

How a Canadian Volunteered in Colombia

Greetings from the great white north! Just came back from a really great experience volunteering with United Hatzalah Colombia. Everything was truly top notch and I never wanted to leave. The program director, Mike, is great with answering every and all questions I ever had and made me feel right at home. The program itself is world class, from the people to the equipment it’s such a fantastic experience. I loved the rush of adrenaline racing through rush hour traffic to go save someone’s life, can’t get that anywhere else.
The food was so great and the people are so hospitable here, made life long friends for sure!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Definitely Chicharon but now it’s my favorite food item here!
Alexandra

How I Became an EMT in Colombia

Recently, I had the honor to study and then work as an EMT in AMAZING Colombia, South America and wow, what a great experience it was. It was a true privilege to be able to help people when they needed it the most and even more amazing that they do it all for free, 24/7 365. This truly inspired me to continue helping those in need when I returned to the USA. The feeling of someone depending on you to save their life is beyond words can describe, incredibly humbling. This organization as a whole is truly amazing for what they do for people on a daily basis and I’m glad to say I was able to help with their mission. The accommodations were first class and completely blew my mind. Big, big thanks to everyone who made my experience so memorable!

What was your funniest moment?
Was definitely my first few days trying to navigate the language but don’t let that deter you! Everyone is so friendly and helped me further my Spanish speaking abilities so much more then I could have ever imagined.
Bennett

My Amazing EMT Experience in Colombia

United Hatzalah Colombia’s EMT program is truly one of a kind. Where else could I live and volunteer in such an amazing country while developing and definitely improving my EMT skills. While here, I was able to learn so much, more then I could have ever learned in an online classroom. I was even able to manage my school work here while volunteering. After speaking to Mike, I knew this was the program for me and boy was I right! I made amazing memories and truly made the most out of my experience. The possibilities are endless with this program, weather you prefer working on the motorbikes or the ambulances there is truly something for everyone. Thanks to Mike and the team for a once in a life time experience, this changed my life!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Definitely being able to stay for longer next time. Hopefully I can return to my new 2nd home soon!
James

My Truly Amazing Colombian EMT Experience

First of all want to truly thank Mike and the entire United Hatzalah Colombia team for a truly memorable experience. I truly fell in love with Colombia, it’s culture, the food, the people, just such an amazing country! As far as developing my EMT skills, I was able to learn so much better from Mike then anywhere in the states as he believes in learning through doing and that really helps especially in this line of work. What was really amazing was having the ability to save lives and it truly humbled me. The volunteer base truly defied all my expectations, it was incredibly comfortable and a great place to relax after a day of saving lives, and wow, the view was truly spectacular. This program really has it all and I can’t wait to come back soon!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Absolutely nothing! This was truly a memorable experience I will always remember fondly. Hopefully I can come back soon to save more lives and create more life long memories!
James

Truly Worlds Best Overseas EMT Program

Mike

Amazing!

Hatzalah Colombia has been one of the best traveling experiences I have ever had. As someone who has traveled most of my life, backpacking and teaching abroad, Hatzlaha has given me the best immersion experience I could of asked for. I am an EMT in the United States but working abroad and working with Hatzlaha Colombia has given me more hands on experience with Trauma and Crisis cases vs. doing clinicals in the US. From the amazing, helpful, courteous and well rounded staff, to the heroic co-workers at the station, being apart of not just an "Ambulance Service" but the community has given me the best experience abroad. Hatzalah is a 10 out of 10.

Jake

The greatest experience of my life!

United Hatzalah Colombia has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Coming to Colombia was the first time I left the United States, so I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. But Mike and the team have done an excellent job of welcoming me into Colombia and into the Hatzalah family. Immediately I fell in love with the area, the people, and my work. Beyond responding to emergencies and building on EMT skills, I have been able to work on my Spanish and also learn from the experiences of the people around me. What I appreciate more than anything is how accommodating Mike and Hatzalah have been. While working in Colombia I am able to dedicate time working towards my Master’s Degree, as well as having time off to explore and have fun. I know that I have made friends for life here and I am beyond grateful for each and every day I have spent in Colombia with Mike and Hatzalah. If you are already looking into this program, just go for it! You will not be disappointed!

Don't be intimidated. Before leaving for Colombia I had recently gotten certified as an EMT-B in the United States. However, due to COVID-19 my "class" was conducted as a self-paced online course with only two days of practical tests at the end. I was nervous about attending real emergencies because of my lack of experience. However, Mike and Hatzalah gave me the confidence and training needed and I immediately felt at ease attending real emergencies. Moreover, I spoke very (very) little Spanish before I arrived. THIS SHOULD NOT DETER YOU!!! The people here will work with you and are extremely patient.