EMT Volunteer Program - International EMT Certification (Optional)

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, United Hatzalah Colombia has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

the team in action
the team in action
we work 24 hours
we work 24 hours
always ready
always ready
cycle para medic
cycle para medic
ambucyckle  on the beach in Colombia.
ambucyckle on the beach in Colombia.
who we are
who we are
saving lives in Colombia.
saving lives in Colombia.
Volunteers with EMT helping people in need
Volunteers with EMT helping people in need

Learn First Responder Skills, Save lives and Experience Colombia. We are United Hatzalah Colombia, the fastest and free medical and emergency service for the people of Colombia.
Volunteering with us, you will get practical experience attending patients and solving real emergencies. You will also visit local homes, provide assistance at festivals, do search and rescue operations in the highlands.

While you train and gain an international first responder certification, you will be another member of our team. During the program you will:
- Attend emergencies in our ambulances,
-Patrol with us in our motorbike ambulances
-Help us with our health camps in local communities.
-In some cases, you will get some experience at local hospitals

You will not only learn how to save a life, but you will also get to save lives! We work 24 hours all year round to serve the Colombian people.

Minimum Qualifications?
-You will have a basic first aid course
-You want to help and serve

• Gain an international certification
  • Have a real impact in the local community
  • Learn pre hospital emergency care skills
  • Learn Spanish while saving lives
  • Have the time of your life

Attention Pre-Med Students!

If you would like to get hands-on experience in the field, join us! In Colombia, you will not be shadowing-- you will be doing.

andreas
Andreas

saving lives with the team of hatzalah colombia!

Hola a todos! My name is Andreas, from Denmark. I joined Hatzalah Colombia to learn how to save a life! i work in a big telemarketing office, and many times someone get injured, sometimes bad, and i did never know how to respond! it was so frustrating becouse i realy wanted to help the person but i had no clue how to! and now i can call my selvf and international EMT, so amazing!! Honest the hatzalah team of colombia are so profesional, before i arrived they send me an online course, and when i arrived we did my practical course! now you are proberly asking how could you go there are Corona virus ? yes its true the corona are affecting the whole world. Hatzalah Colombia got me on a huminatarian flight to Colombia, they even for free helped me with a travel insurence, and a Corona test before i left Denmark! i was honest not scared of the Corona during my stay, Hatzalah dosent attend corona patients, they attend all the generel emergencies and we did have all the protective equipment just in case. During my stay i attended a total of 157 patients, and i did pass my international EMT exam! so stocked about it! who knows maybe in the future i drop my boring job at a call center, to become a EMT! i did stay in Manizales, and cartagena, but i know they also offer the course and internship in Medellin.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
first time i got on a real call! i cant describe how you feel when you deliver a schock to someones hearth to save there life! its not like in the movies!!
yo
Alejandro

Hatzalah Colombia

I wanted to be a nurse since I was a kid, did apply last year but had more than 2000 people applying and the school only accept 145 students, so unfortunately I did not get in. The student advise told me to go get experience, I looked everywhere in my home country Spain, but all I found was red cross, I joined them but did only last 2 weeks. all I was doing was shadowing I did not get to do anything my self regarding patients care etc. I, therefore, decided to look abroad! I looked at many health programs, but I found only hatzalah Colombia offering after the course an international EMT certificate, and for me, I needed something with an international certificate to have better odds of getting into nursing school. The course with hatzalah is absolutely great, it's so practical orientated, before I arrived hatzalah send me all the theory material, and when I arrived from day 1 everything was practical! I attended more than 20 patients or day, everything from small accidents to huge trauma calls with multiply injuries people. sometimes we even attended some animals. after I came home mike there course director called the nursing school in Spain and I now have an appointment for joining the course in Spain as an EMT skilled student!! Thanks so much to mike and the hatzalah team, and to gooverseas for helping me join this amazing program!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
we got called to a fire in a house, when we arrived lucky there where no humans in the building. But there was a dog, after we rescue the dog out of the burning house, I treated the dog with oxygen and after 1 hour the dog was running around happy! that was such an amazing experience!!
yo
Noah

i saved the life of another person!

I would never ever had imagined that I would be saving someone's life! that someone I don't ever have met, but that what just what I did!
I'm Noah, A swiss guy! I am working in IT, so for me to become an EMT was just so far from what I am working with. But I wanted to learn something new, something useful and get to help people in need. I joined this program because I saw that they said you will not only learn how to save a life, you will be saving a life! for me, that was just the perfect motivation! and I can honestly say yes you will get to save many lives! I did the fully EMT course, plus there Search and rescue course with there helicopters, was a demanding education, but so freaking awesome!! I am now back working in IT and there is not a single day where I don't wish I would be back saving lives with Hatzalah Colombia!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
the first time I had to give CPR to a real person, that was a nerve moment! but it worked, and the patient gained vital signs!
me
Noah

I saved someones live!

ian

Profesional EMT training to be a Paramedic

Hello, parceros! My name is Ian. I am an EMT from America. I found out about hatzalah first time when i attended TED MED years ago, and I was so impressed with how they manage to have a response time in 3 min! let's be honest in EMT that is a game-changer!! I decided to join Hatzalah Colombia, to do there advances paramedic course to get better odds to be able to join paramedic school back home! After a video call with Mike their course director, I was on board,and 3 weeks later i was on my way To Colombia! And yes i am sure about you all have questions what about the coronavirus. Well, Mike and the team helped me get on a special flight, and they even arranged for a corona test for me before I took the flight! Luckily in Colombia, they have the coronavirus in control and don't have many cases. So I did feel absolutely safe. During my stay, i attended patients in ambulances, boats, helicopters and their famous motorbike ambulances. We also did arrange a lot of health camps, and what I love so much about this! is that Hatzalah is the only free emergency service in Colombia! Thanks to Mike and the whole team for the best Para-Medic course I ever could have done!! I will for sure be back next year.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
i would stay longer, and do one of they search and rescue courses they are offering! but I will be back next year.
me
Laura

saving lives with hatzalah colombia!

Hello guys and girls! This is Laura from Norway sharing my awsome experience with the hatzalah team in Colombia!! I am in 2 year of my EMT school back home, and I wanted to go abroad and get real hand on experience! in My country when you volunteer in a ambulance, you only get to shadow the patients. so for me it was so important to find a program there would alow you to get to attend the patients. I did tons of research, and I decided to book with hatzalah Colombia because they where the only program I found online, where I saw that people mention it was a real hands on practical Emt course!! It was super easy to book, after a online skypoe call with mike from hatzalah, I was hooked, he send me all the student material, and an info package, and I was off to Colombia!! I was of course a little worried if I could travel due to the corona virus, but they helped me get on a special plane for health workers, and got me a special permit to travel and get into the country. they even arranged a corona test for me before I left my country. When I arrived mike and the team picked me up in the airport, I started my 3 day training course, and the rest of my time I was working alongside them in there motorbikes, ambulances, fast response cars, I even got to attend in a helicopter!! so cool!! honest i could not have asked for a better experience, and the accommodation was perfect, big room with pool and private shower and toilet. cant wait to be back for my advanced course next year with hatzalah Colombia!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
when we attended a big accident with more than 14 patients, I had to use all my training to do a fast triage assessment, and treat stabilize and transport all the patients.
Lindsey

Save lives while learning skills that will benefit you for a lifetime

I could not be happier with my experience with United Hatzalah of Colombia. I learned so much through this opportunity. I know the work I did saved lives and had a huge impact on the community.
I treated about 70 patients during the month I was in Colombia, and worked alongside the most amazing group of volunteers. Daily work included patrolling, treating patients, and a lot of learning. I came to the program with only very basic first aid training and left with the knowledge that I can and have saved lives. The patients we treated varied from taking basic vitals all the way to intense trauma cases that without us would not survived.
This program changed my life for the better. I would absolutely recommend it for anyone who wants to do something to benefit their future and the world around them. Additionally for anyone who wants to truly get to experience and be a part of another culture instead of just visiting a place this is an amazing opportunity!

My biggest piece of advice for future travelers with this program is brush up on your Spanish. You will definitely learn a lot of Spanish while you are there, but the more you know going into the program the easier it will be for you to adapt.
mw
ann

Learn Spanish while saving lives

I decided that I wanted to do something totally different on my holiday! I have never done any first aid courses nor have I had a special interest in Ambulance services! That all changed this year when my friend had an accident and I did not know what to do! I found this program, read all the good reviews, contacted Hatzalah and jumped on a flight to Colombia!

When I arrived, they picked me up at the airport and I started my 3-day EMT course. This is a very challenging course, but I did pass and moved on to work in their ambulances! It's so cool that I went from knowing no first aid to volunteering in ambulances. A big plus was that when I arrived they had just gotten a new puppy for their K9 dog rescue unit, and I got to help train her! I worked with a total of 67 patients in my 4 weeks with Hatzalah Colombia. and my country recognized my International EMT course! So awesome!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have booked more time so i could have done the advanced EMT course as well.