EMT Volunteer Program - International EMT Certification (Optional)

Learn First Responder Skills, Save lives and Experience Colombia. We are United Hatzalah Colombia, the fastest and free medical and emergency service for the people of Colombia.
Volunteering with us, you will get practical experience attending patients and solving real emergencies. You will also visit local homes, provide assistance at festivals, do search and rescue operations in the highlands.

While you train and gain an international first responder certification, you will be another member of our team. During the program you will:
- Attend emergencies in our ambulances,
-Patrol with us in our motorbike ambulances
-Help us with our health camps in local communities.
-In some cases, you will get some experience at local hospitals

You will not only learn how to save a life, but you will also get to save lives! We work 24 hours all year round to serve the Colombian people.

Minimum Qualifications?
-You will have a basic first aid course
-You want to help and serve

• Gain an international certification
  • Have a real impact in the local community
  • Learn pre hospital emergency care skills
  • Learn Spanish while saving lives
  • Have the time of your life

Attention Pre-Med Students!

If you would like to get hands-on experience in the field, join us! In Colombia, you will not be shadowing-- you will be doing.

Valentina

From Spain to Colombia

What a truly Life changing experience!! I work in Spain in a big sports center, and so many times people get injured and I have no idea what to do to help them!! so I decided during covid was a good time to go abroad and finally be able to learn how to be able to help people in an emergency. I found out about this program, and decided that why not train to be an EMT ? and not only a first responder, (the first responder is the only course they offer in Spain) and honest I have never regretted it! The academy with United hatzalah Colombia is just amazing! I attended 127 real-life emergencies, during my intensive 4 week course! I love my job in the sports center, so not sure I will work as an EMT, but at least I have that to fall back on, and now I am volunteering as an EMT in the local firebrigade. Don't look further this is honestly such an amazing program!

Stay longer! haha I wish I could have stayed longer and done one of their advanced paramedic courses.
Rob

Last day in paradise

Feeling quite sentimental on my last day in Colombia so here’s my thoughts on the program. Wow. Just wow. There was so much to do and see it was such a cool experience. From responding to traffic accidents to participating in rescue operations, there never really was a dull moment here. Days off were great, going to Guatape or visiting Pablo Escobars old neighborhoods or trying some new food, it was all so enjoyable. It was so cool to have the privilege to participate in this and I hope you are able to do the same!

Definitely go visit guatape it is so cool, one of the highlights!
Dwayne

Colombia Trip

Really enjoyed my time workin as a volunteer for United Hatzalah in Colombia. I came with tons of EMT experience but still was amazed with all the things I was able to learn here. The people are also so friendly and makes the trip even more awesome. I loved exploring the city on days off and really loved the job. Was just the right intensity level. Next time I hope to even try the fire course. It was great how many options I has here like even doing some rescue courses with I really enjoyed, for sure recommend trying those too!

Be ready to have some fun, it’s going to be a great experience!
Miles

Coming from Australia

Coming all the way from Australia it was definitely really nerve racking, knowing no Spanish and never had been to South America before. But it’s true what many say about Colombia, once you come, you never want to leave. For me that’s definitely because of Mike and United Hatzalah. Mike, who is the program director is such a great guy and was amazing answering all my questions. The experience itself was absolutely fantastic, giving me a really great taste of what being an EMT is like. It was such a great trip and has now convinced me to get into that line of work back home.

Come with an open mind and ready to learn, you definitely get out so much more then you put in with the right attitude.
Josh

Volunteering as a Healthcare Worker

It was such a cool experience getting to volunteer as an EMT, it’s always been my dream. When COVID hit and I had a couple free months I wanted to do something to help other people, so I emailed Mike and after 2 weeks of learning more, I was on my way. The giant volunteer base was so cool and had the best view in the area by far. The adrenaline rush of the day to day job blew my mind and made me fall in love with it. It’s so easy to travel down here I highly recommend this to everyone, you won’t regret it!

What was your funniest moment?
Definitely learning Spanish and failing a lot with pronunciations
Matthew

My Colombian Experience

Just had a really great experience with United Hatzalah Colombia! It was so great being able to respond to real life emergencies and safe lives in such a unique setting. I really enjoyed learning tons of medical terminology in Spanish, definitely a really great skill to take back with me to the United States. I loved the Colombian culture and the people are so friendly! It was so cool that United Hatzalah helps people for free and it makes such a profound impact in the communities they work in, not to mention all over the country. Thanks for a really cool experience!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Definitely would have learned more Spanish before hand but still very doable to learn down here
Sarah

My Travels Abroad

Hola! My name is Sarah and I just completed a month long EMT course in Colombia! I learned more then I could have ever imagined and grew so much professionally and also personally. I was able to become more of a leader and more assertive, I gained self confidence and most importantly had the time of my life. I met so many great people who I now call family and fell in love with Colombia. I definitely recommend doing a few touristy things but also getting out of the city to check out the amazing countryside or going on a hike. Definitely also try chicharrón, it’s sooo good!

Definitely take advantage of the amazing country that you work in and explore on your days off. Don’t be afraid to try some local things too, not just the touristy hot spots.
Jameson

Abroad Program that Blew My Mind

From the moment I arrived in Colombia I knew this was going to be a great experience and wow was I right! I was picked up by the team who even brought along one of the rescue dogs. The next day I started work and immediately became obsessed with it. I loved learning all these different little things that made me so much better as an EMT. I even got to step outside my comfort zone and try things like zip lining and paintball on my days off which was so much fun. Everyone is family down here and it really makes the program unique in that sense. I for sure would say this program is great for anyone wanting to grow as an EMT, those who don’t have any EMT experience, and pretty much anyone who loves new adventures, everyday was a new adventure!

Definitely do some homework on the area your volunteering in, makes it easier to fit right in. No prior Spanish knowledge required but definitely wouldn’t hurt.