EMT Volunteer Program

we work 24 hours
we work 24 hours
always ready
always ready
ambucyckle  on the beach in Colombia.
ambucyckle on the beach in Colombia.
cycle para medic
cycle para medic
saving lives in Colombia.
saving lives in Colombia.
who we are
who we are
the team in action
the team in action

Welcome to United Hatzalah of Colombia, if this is your first introduction to us we are very happy to welcome you! United Hatzalah Colombia is a free medical and emergency service for all the people in Colombia. We started with a small office in Cartagena, and now we have branches in Manizales, Cartagena, Bogota Villavicencio and Bogota. You will be joining us in one of our offices.

What will you be doing ?

You will be helping out in our ambulances, in our motorbike ambulances, and in some of the hospitals we work with. You will also be helping us with our health camps in some of the local communities. No day is the same with us, we never know what emergency cases we will be doing that day! We promise with us you will not only learn how to save a live, you will get to save a life! We are working 24 hours all year around to serve the Colombian people.

Minimum qualifications ?

- You will have a basic first aid course
- You want to help and serve people

• Learn medicine
  • Learn Spanish while saving lives
  • Have the time of your life

michael

learning for life!

Joining the Hatzalah Colombia, Learning for life! My name is Michael, I been growing up in a family where both my mom and dad were EMT workers at the local ambulance station! I have been volunteering many hours with my parents as an EMT, but many times we did simply note make it to the patients in time, due to heavy rush hour traffic! After tons of online research, I found out about the Hatzalah Colombia model where they use motorbikes to arrive fast and stabilize the patient until there big ambulance arrives! that is something we don't have in my hometown, so after talking with the head of our station we decided I had to go to Colombia to learn from there Hatzalah model! thanks so go overseas I found the program super fast! I contacted Hayzalah Colombia, and 1 week later i booked my flight to Colombia! What I really love about this program, is how they customize it! during my skype interview with Mike from hatzalah, he asked me what I wanted to work with in the future and i told him my dream was to learn to be a firefighter and an EMT! Mike told me that he would love to put me on their firefighter program in Colombia! So awsome! as soon as I arrived I started my 3-day emt course, and after I did a 6-day firefighter course and was volunteering in 5 weeks in their ambulances, and in there firefighter units!!! Thanks so much, Mike and the team to let a dream come true!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
when we responded to a big fire! we dispatched all the ambulances, and all there firefighter trucks! a police officer was trapped inside, we managed to rescue him out of the burning building, and after we treated him in the ambulance! will never forget that call!
anja

summer of my life

since I was little i wanted to work in the ambulance service! I decided that this summer break I wanted to go abroad and learn my skills! after tons of research, I found out that hatzalah Colombia had an EMT program! after a few emails, I did a skype call with there course director. and 6 days later i was on my way to Colombia. what I really liked about this program compared to other programs is that all the reviews I did read all say that here you actually get to attend the patins, many other programs they say you will only be shadowing. for me, it was important to actually learn skills and get to use them! I loved so much that with this internship, i was not only working in their normal ambulances, i was working in there motorbike ambulances, there ambutracktor, there boat ambulance and there rescue helicopter! yes you did hear right, they have a rescue helicopter so cool!! They are all volunteer people, no one is receiving a salary, i saw how my fees went straight into the operation, i did not see it as a price more like a donation. they also give you a tax certificate, so you can claim back the money.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
i would stay more time! i wish i could have done more time with the hatzalah team! i will for sure be back next year
juan

summer of my life!

summer of my life! My name is Anja since I was a little girl I wanted to work in the ambulance service! I wanted to do something useful in my summer holiday. After a lot of research, I found out about hatzalah Colombia. I emailed them, and had a skype call with there coordinator and after I was off to Colombia! this program is straight on! as soon as I landed I started my 3-day course, its super cool you will learn everything you need to be able to attend the 15 calls ore more hatzalah attend to every day. After the course, you get to put on the hatzalah uniform, and from there you will work alongside there EMT in ambulances, motorbikes, boats, ambutractoor and even there rescue helicopter! yes, you did hear me right, they have a rescue helicopter! so cool. i absolutely love this program and the idea behind hatzalah. They are the only free emergency service in Colombia, and I saw how my course fee was spent 100 percent on the patients! they have no staff there receive a salary, everyone is volunteering their time to save lives!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
i would stay more time! i wish i could have done more time. i will for sure be back next summer.
juan

awsome trip

I am an Emt student from Spain, and I wanted to get abroad to gain more experience! I did the first time read about hatzalah 4 years ago, and since then been one of my life goals to actually work with hatzalah! after tons of search online I found out that Colombia is one of the only hatzalah branches, where they offer internships with international EMT certification! after a chat with mike, I booked my flights to Colombia! When I arrived they picked me up in there rescue helicopter! yeah, that is right, they have helicopters! They logged me in their base, I had my big room with shower toilet and tv, it is comfortable! and super safe because you will never be alone, they have 24-hour security in the base. after I arrived I started my 3 day EMT course, you will learn everything you need to know to be able to work in their ambulances. I did also do a motorbike driving course, and I was driving their motorbike ambulances and their ambutracktor! so much fun! i did book 3 weeks but ended up staying 8 weeks!! cant wait to be back one day. i have attched my favorite photos.

What was your funniest moment?
when we did our mountain driving course! so much fun!!! it is a tactical driving course, where we learn how to drive in snow and rocks.
Ambutractors
anders

Wanted to save lives

Hello there my name is Anders. I am from Denmark! I want to share with you my experience with United Hatzalah Colombia. I finished high school in Denmark, and wanted to take a gab year before starting university, I origanally wanted to study political science, but this internship changed that for ever! more about that later. I Did look at many programs like this, but I found that the other programs was more like a shadowing program, and for me I really wanted to get involved, learn, develop and not only look at other EMT do the interactions with the patients. I called Mike from hatzalah and after a skype call, he helped me book my flight and after 2 weeks I landen inn Colombia! After I landed I started my 3 day advance EMT course, it was so cool! we did train with the police, military, firebrigade, helicopters you name it. I passed my course, and from the rest of my time I was volunteering in there ambulances, motorbike ambulances, boats helicopters and my Favorite a Ambutracktor! that is basic a ambulance who can drive everywhere! I did attach some photos. I can't recommend this program highly enough! by the way I am not joinning university anymore, I am now joining the EMT service in Denmark!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
really the most surprising thing I was! was how the manage to show up faster inn any emergency service, than the ambulance service in a rich country like mine in Denmark! Mike and his team really 100 procent of donations, and are 100 percent free for the people, but still they manage to show up inn 3 min ore less at any emergence! that is game changing
ambutracktor
Rick

Learning to save lives with Hatzalah Colombia

I normally never write reviews, but for this course, I had to write one! a little info about me, My name is Rick, I am a Park Ranger in Texas, we respond to the national parks, wildfires, Emergencies and everything between. One problem is we use a big offroad truck, and there are many places it's not entered. Therefore I was searching online and found Hatzalah Colombia, and saw the use of a specially built ambulance, they call it an ambutracktor. I talked to my boss, and we decided I had to go join Hatzalah Colombia, learn from them and see if we want to adapt there organization and their equipment in the USA: I did stay 5 weeks with the hatzalah Colombia, and it's just amazing! they did a specially ambutracktor course for me, and I was volunteering in there ambutracktor for 5 weeks straight. I learned so much, and we have already put in an order for an ambutracktor for the national park in texas where I work

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
when we had to respond to an injured person near an active volcano. that was super nerve-racking!! but so cool! the ambutracktor made it all the way to the top.
Heather

Aussie teen girl wants to save the world -

Aussie teen girl wanting to save the world, because one who saves a life saves the entire world! Since I was a small girl, I wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps and join the Queensland ambulance service. The only problem is that there are more than 300 people applying for the ambulance service, and they only accept 25 students, so I knew I had to do something to get accepted! My counselor told me that I should go join the Hatzalah Colombia EMT course, because with that international certification, and more than 200 hours of logged medical training I would get accepted. I fast got in touch with Mike from hatzalah, and after a skype call, I booked the program and my flights and off I went for Colombia!

when I arrived I started my 3 days training course! it so intensive, but so cool. you get to train everything from a small wound to a mass accident with many people injured. after the course I did volunteer in their ambulances, boat ambulances, motorbike ambulances even in a helicopter was so cool! Thanks to Mike and the team I am today accepted into my dream study

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer! This program is so unique and I was attending all the emergencies, I was not shadowing a paramedic like I read you do in all the other medical programs out there.
louise

best time I could ever have imagined

Since I was a kid I been dreaming about becoming an ambulance EMT, I have done tons of hours volunteering in the British red cross, but I did never get to really be with the patients. it was a lot of shadowing the other EMT. For me, I wanted to go somewhere where I would be the one attending the patients, of course under guidance. I first time got to know about HAtzalah Colombia when a friend of mine came back from an internship with hatzalah. he told me it was the best program he ever did, and this guy has been going around the world volunteering with many organizations! after a few emails and a video call with mike, I found my self on a plane to Colombia! there was no going back! When i landed the whole team picked me up in the airport, they even had there K) dog unit to welcome me! I then started my 3-day course, and after I was volunteering in there ambulances, motorbike ambulances and even there boat ambulance. its so amazing what this organization do, they offer free emergency help to all the people 100 percent free! I 100 percent recommend this program to everyone! I cant wait to be back one day, Bonus info! i got to practice and learn spanish, they offer free spanish lessons :D

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
dont only stay 2 weeks, I did stay 2 weeks and ended up booking another 3 weeks!
from my time in Colombia
sally

Profesional EMT volunteering with Hatzalah Colombia.

My Name is Sally Lou I am a professional EMT. I work in the Miami ambulance service. I wanted to go abroad to gain experience of how other ambulance services operate. i always been fascinating about the hatzalah model and how they respond in maximum 3 min to all the emergencies. So for me, there was no doubt I had to go and work with hatzalah Colombia! I contacted mike From hatzalah Colombia, and the same day we had a skype video chat, he showed me the base and all their ambulances! 2 weeks later I was on my way to Colombia. When I arrived they did a 3 day course for me, I am a professional EMT but I still did learn a tons of new stuff on the course, They use a lot of technology and for me its brand new how they always send a fast response motorbike to stabilize the patient until the big ambulance arrives. After my training I was working alongside there the whole team, I did respond to every emergency you can imagine, from urban to the mountains of Colombia.
This course is honest the best i could have done, I am today using many skills i learned from my time in Colombia in my daily work as a EMT: I cant wait to be back with mike and the team one day!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When we did our mountain rescue Course, we had to climb a mountain, and after repel 178 meter. It was for sure nerve Racking, but so much fun.
christian

A dream come true

for me its been a dream since i was a kid to work in a ambulance. I 1 year ago desided to apply for EMT course in Denmark, but i was told i needed more experience to get in. So i desided i wanted to look outside denmark for a EMT course. i found Hatzalah Colombia, and start looking on all there youtube videoes and all there pictures! i was sure that was the right program for me. I really like the idea that Hatzalah Colombia is a free emergencie service for the people. for me it was important to do my internship somewhere where i could make a great impackt on the local people. I learned so much in this course, and the best part is that you get a intensive 3 day course, and the rest of the time you are voluntiering in there ambulances. you dont just get to sit around, you are all the time the one attending the patients. With this experience and there international EMT certificate i will be able to be a EMT in Denmark.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
i would stay more time. i did 4 weeks but would love to stay there for 1 year!
Laura

Saving lives and helping the people in need.

4 weeks working in the ambulances of hatzalah, the best i could ever have dreamed off!

i joined this program becouse i next year want to study to be a EMT, the problem in my Country (norway) is that there are more than 400 people to 30 spaces in the EMT program. So to be able to join you need to show you have practice in a ambulance. therefore i joined The Hatzalah program in colombia. The Hatzalah team is famoues and regonised all around the world as some of the best emergencie servieces, so for me there was no dubth that this was the best program for me to join.

As soon i arrived to Colombia, i was picked up in the airport by mike and the whole hatzalah team they even brought there K9 dog unit to welcome me. So cool! After you arrie you will do a 3 day intensive ambulance course, basic you learn anything you will need to know to be able to work alongside the hatzalah para medics in the ambulance. After my 3 day course i was working everyday in the ambulances, you get to attend all the emergencies. If you are looking to join an para medic ore EMT program, look no further. Thanks to this program i got in to my dream study in Norway!!

be open! heads up you can learn so much in this program!!
tine

Best internship i ever could have done!

Host i cant recomend this program enough! I have done more than 3 internships EMT around the wold. And this is far by the best! With hatzalah colombia you get so much hand on experience, you get to do everything with all the patients. Some of the other EMT programs i have done, you would only get to shadow the para medics. In this program here you really get to practice your skils! When you arrive you will do a 3 day EMT Course with Hatzalah, we did learn everything from basic first aid, all the way to advanced treatment of trauma patients. The best of this program is that you never know what you will experience during the day. You will stay in The hatzalah base, it is super comfortable, i had my own room with TV xbox and a big kitchen i could use. All in all the best program i ever done! i allrady booked my next internship with Hatzalah Colombia. Thanks so much mike and the team!

honest i cant think of anything to be improved! The people are so profesional, and from day 1 you really get to be a part of the united hatzalah family.
julie

Saving lives with the Hatzalah team

What a great program!! i am a student of the ambulance services in germany. One day my teacher told me about Hatzalah. after a few searched on the internet i found out how amazing the work are of United hatzalah colombia. after a few emails with the Colombian branch of Hatzalah, mike called me and after 2 weeks i was on my way to colombia. As soon as i arrived i joined the hatzalah intensiv course for 3 days. After that i was voluntiring in the ambulances, and in the base with all the hatzalah staff. its so cool, you get to work in normal ambulances, motorbike ambulances, i even went and worked in there helicopter. The days are long, but super interesting, in a normal day i got to attend more than 16 patients, and the best of it all, is that all the time i am with a profesional para medic, so i learn so much! i hope one day to be able to introduce hatzalah in germany. Hatzalah Colombia respond to all emergencies in maximum 3 min, that is so fast! i will for sure be back.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
finding my selvf saving lives in the back of an ambulance in colombia!
Bryan Mores

This will change your life for the better!

This is honest the best experience I ever had in my life!!! I have always dreamed about working in a ambulance! I joined this program because I needed to get hands on practical experience inn the medical field to be able to get into university in the states.

the first 3 days I did a intensive course with mike and the team, and the rest of the 4 weeks I was volunteering alongside the para medics of Hatzalah. We where driving ambulances, ambucyckles (motorbike amulances) we even did work in the amazonas in one of Hatzalah water ambulances. you will be living in the base where they have 24 hour security and its also where there dispatch center are so you will bee around people for 2 hours. I had my own room. thanks so much mike and the team

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
when we responded to a patient with a hearth attack, but I was trained well and it was amazing when the person regained a pulse, and I was there saving a life! this is what the hatzalah program is all about.

Location:
97 F / 34 F
Oct-Dec
93 F / 34 F
Airports:
El Dorado International BOG José María Córdova International MDE Rafael Núñez International CTG
( BOG )
José María Córdova International
( MDE )
Rafael Núñez International
( CTG )

Colombia has become the hip travel destination in South America and boasts a growing tourism sector. Colombians are fun, friendly, and proud of their beautiful country. Colombia boasts truly stunning landscapes including lush jungle, arid desert, Caribbean coastline, and the Andes mountains, including the world famous Colombian coffee zone. Along with both modern and cosmopolitan cities like Medellin and historical centers like Cartagena, there is just so much to enjoy and explore in Colombia!

Alumni Interviews

About United Hatzalah Colombia

When emergencies occur, rapid medical treatment increases chances of survival exponentially. Using specially equipped motorcycle ambulances, United Hatzalah’s colombia network of more than 75 volunteer medics help save thousands of lives each year...