Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Colombia from $270

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Colombia and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Colombia Bogota and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Bogota, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Colombia Bogota program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 20 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Bogota each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Yes the accommodation is included. Normally 3-4 people share one room in the same gender.

João

4 weeks in Bogotá

My interest on Colombia made me think of a way of visiting the country. I applied for this project looking for a more productive and fun way of spending my last month of vacations. Teaching English in Bogotá ended up being the solution, and it was such a great decision. I had no idea about what was coming and what to expect. Not only it was my first time doing volunteering, but it was also my first time in South America and my first time giving English Classes (notice that I am not a native speaker).
I feel that this experience was great in several ways. I improved my Spanish and also my English, I met people from all around the world and made such good friends in Colombia, inside and outside the volunteers’ house. The volunteering itself was a very eye-opener experience once I got in contact with such a different reality compared to what I am used to in Europe. Besides teaching English, I also had to opportunity to try other projects available in the foundation, they were pretty flexible on trying new stuff.
Colombia is beautiful safe! I had no problems with security on my 4 weeks stay in Bogota, neither did I in other cities. I chose to travel around Colombia with friends on most of my weekends. You can get pretty nice flight deals inside Colombia to visit cities like Medellin or Cartagena. Food is very tasty as I was expecting and most of products and services I bought were half/a third of the price in Europe.
I am definitely repeating a volunteering experience with IVHQ in a near future and Colombia will surely be a place to live a few years. NO JOKE, I’M FOR REAL. The only cons this experience has is actually leaving Colombia and coming back to the regular mainstream life. Good luck dealing with that.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joao, Thanks for taking the time to review your volunteering experience with us in Bogota. It sounds like you had an eye-opening and incredible time - an awesome way to spend your vacation! We look forward to having you join us again soon! Charlotte - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jacqueline

Bogota - a MUST volunteer experience

hello, I would like to leave a quick recommendation. I was enrolled first for the 1 month project in childcare, then loved it so much, I came home and enrolled in the 24 week project. I think that really speaks for itself how amazing the experience was!!! Colombia is one of the most incredible countries I have EVER been to. I wouldn't have known this, had I not had this experience. I was on the childcare project, mainly working with troubled youths and it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, it has made me explore a new career path now I am home. The local team are so, so, so supportive and the accommodation is in a really great area - close to supermarket, coffee, park and it is very safe. I met some amazing people volunteering and I am certain they are forever friends, as we speak nearly daily!!! I had so much fun on this project. It really was a 10/10 experience and I can't wait to go back next year. Thanks IVHQ for making it all happen!!!

Tony

Must Do, take the plunge.

Booked in 8 weeks volunteering in Bogota after completing 6 months travelling around South America. It was by far the best part of my trip, met some fantastic like minded people from various places around the world, the organisers were great and made sure everyone knew what they had to do and where to go so there were no surprises at all on that part of thing. The activities were very rewarding and you'll also have a lot of fun here as Colombians are the most welcoming people I've come across in my travels.

Colombia is by far my favourite country in South America and outside the volunteering there is plenty to do and see and it is just as safe as any other place you can travel to in the area so don't get put off by other peoples preconceived opinions of the country where they may have never visited.

Side note - also met my wife in Bogota during my volunteering so I have a permanent reminder of how much I loved the experience :)

Would love to see more construction projects.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tony, Thanks for the awesome review and congratulations on meeting your wife while on the program - it sounds like a very worthwhile trip! Hopefully you can both join us on the next adventure! Charlotte - IVHQ Program Manager

hannah

Colombia

I volunteered in Colombia for 4 weeks with IVHQ. The coordinators in Colombia were very helpful and always wanted to make sure you felt at home. The cost of living in Colombia is very cheap so you only need roughly $30 a week but if you are traveling on the weekends you need around $80. The programs were well organized and fun! The coordinators and volunteers were devoted on making a difference for the people of Colombia. I would recommend others to this program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hannah, Thanks for your lovely review! It's awesome to hear that you felt well supported by the local team in Colombia and we look forward to having you on another program soon!

Kathleen

A week in Bogotá with IVHQ

I stayed a week in Bogotá, Colombia and did the childcare program where I spent time at an orphanage with children between 2-5. There are younger as well as older children as well, but the babies were on quarantine so our volunteers were unable to work with them. We also worked with an organization feeding Venezuelan immigrants and refugees. There were about 12-15 volunteers in the house, and I paid an extra fee to be in a private room. The women in charge of the projects are kind and compassionate and the House was run very efficiently. Over the course of the week/weekend the volunteers also went to various local sights and participated in tourist experiences

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi, Thanks for sharing a snippet from your time in Bogota. It's great to hear that you were able to volunteer across a range of placements and check out some of the sights with other volunteers. Until next time! ^Charlotte - IVHQ Colombia Program Manager

Beatriz

My incredible 3-weeks in Bogotá with IVHQ

I've always known that I would volunteer internationally one day. I knew I wanted to teach and I knew it would be somewhere in America Latina: the only thing I didn't know was how should I do it. Then, one day, I saw that a colleague of mine was volunteering with IVHQ in Indonesia and I immediately searched all I could about the organization and I understood it would be my best option: they guaranteed me support, a house, food, contact with other volunteers and specific programs for a very decent value (I'm aware that the idea of "paying to volunteer" may be weird for some but, in my case, I knew I was paying for safety and all-time support and, being my first experience, I needed that to be confident enough to do something like this).
In the pre-volunteering weeks all my questions were answered in time and with detail, making me more excited and hopeful for the weeks to come.The volunteering itself was everything i could have asked for. I was lucky enough to meet some amazing volunteers that I will keep in my heart forever, with whom i visited Bogota, went out at night, travelled to other parts of Colombia on weekends, arranged future get-together's... The coordinators were kind and helpful, treating us like family and making sure we always felt at home. The house was always clean and cosy and, honestly, I felt so much at my own house during those weeks that I even miss that bunk bed. And last but definitely not least: the programs. I taught English to young kids and university students, contrasting environments that allowed me to interact with different people and be aware of the different struggles they go through. Moreover, I was allowed to help in other projects, such as the homeless one, and to have all these possibilities was incredibly rewarding.
Therefore, my advice is simple: if you want to volunteer with an organization that guides you through all steps and makes sure you have the most fulfilling experience ever than IVHQ is the right choice for you.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Beatriz, Thanks for sharing such a detailed review of your time in Bogota. It's wonderful to hear that the whole experience met your expectations from start to finish and that you felt supported the whole way. I'm glad to hear you were able to travel to other parts of Colombia - it's a beautiful and diverse country! It sounds like you made a very positive impact at your placement - thanks for such a valuable contribution! We hope to have you join us again soon :) ^Clover - IVHQ Colombia Program Manager

Milan

Construction project in Bogota

I have been constructing a house for a family in poor outskirts of Bogota. The construction was meant to finish before Christmas time so the house could be a nice Christmas present for the family. While working on the house we often didn't have a proper equipment and needed to improvize. This was a lot of fun as we worked together with locals and we saw how they are overcoming these conditions. Also we hold a lunch each day with them together with their families and enjoyed traditional food and great "tinto" coffee.

Apart from the volunteering I was able to find a time to travel outside Bogota. I have visited a historical city of Cartagena and a small island of San Andres in Caribbean. Overall the experience was great as I felt that I am really spending my time usefully and having fun in the process.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Milan, Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time in Bogota. It's wonderful to hear you were able to help renovate a families home in time for Christmas - that is a wonderful gift! I'm glad you were also able to see other parts of Colombia - it's an amazing country! We hope to have you volunteer with us again soon. ^Clover - IVHQ Colombia Bogota Program Manager

Sam

Life-changing program

I volunteered with IVHQ in Bogota originally signed up for the English teaching project. The team, however, allows you to try any project you want and do as many as you want in order to maximize your experience. Each separate place I volunteered left a lasting impact on me. We taught English, helped with construction, played with kids at an orphanage, and many more things. It was so humbling and amazing to be exposed to the culture of Colombia in such an intimate and meaningful way. The IVHQ staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and safe and they were very, very successful. It was the best trip I have ever been on and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get out into the world. I went with one of my friends from school (we were both 19), and we had an absolute blast.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sam, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you and your friend had an absolute blast in Bogota. It is good to know that the flexibility of the placements, and the ability to visit many different placements on this program, helped to leave a lasting and meaningful impression on you. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we wish you all the best.
Clover – IVHQ Colombia Program Manager

Jacob

Teaching English in Colombia

I volunteered teaching English in Bogota for 3 weeks, however I by the end of my 3 week programme I had in fact volunteered on a number of different projects, which was really interesting! The opportunity to volunteer on these various projects was something I enjoyed about the programme in Bogota. I remember one day I had signed up to volunteer on the 'feeding the homeless' programme, and left the house in the morning with fellow volunteers on the programme. Once we arrived at the building in which we were to prepare food and meals for the homeless, we saw some nuns from the area and they were going to Soacha (an area just outside Bogota), to distribute supplies and food. They needed some help as there was a lot of food and the supplies were quite heavy, so myself and one other volunteer decided to go along with them and help distribute the supplies. The drive to Soacha was around one hour, however the humour of the nuns made the journey enjoyable! When we arrived there were lots of people lined up and we had to try and control the crowd and give them supplies. After we had distributed all the supplies we returned to Bogota and back to the volunteer house. It was amazing to see the conditions of the area, and to give help to the people there was great.

The programmes were very enjoyable and it was really good to be able to choose and experience all, however at times there were quite a lot of volunteers on one programme and other programmes had few volunteers on that day, so maybe slightly more organised choices.
Tae'shaona

Life-changing sounds like a cliche

How do I describe my experience without sounding like every traveler who's ever gone somewhere new? How do I explain how affected I was by my trip? I don't think any words could truly do it justice because it wasn't the sites and it wasn't the people. It was the emotions. The feelings that I don't think I ever could have felt in any other place.

I spent 5 weeks in Bogota, Colombia. Primarily, my time was spent in a daycare in Soacha. I fell in love with those kids. So much so that I couldn't keep from crying on my last day. They gave me hugs and kisses and I wish that I could have stayed. This program was more than just an opportunity to do good. I don't have many applicable skills. I can't eradicate poverty. I am not a health care professional. I don't have any fancy degrees. All I have is my dedication to making people feel better. I went to Bogota thinking I could change lives. That isn't realistic. I didn't do that. I know. I doubt those kids really think about me anymore but I know that I made a difference in their days. I know that we laughed a lot and they taught me funny words in Spanish that didn't mean what they thought they did and I know that they were happy and smiling when we all went home. And that matters to me. That made a difference to me.

I think if you want to volunteer with IVHQ, it shouldn't be from the perspective of wanting to save people. Because chances are, they're going to end up saving you instead. You're going to go someplace amazing and you may have a lasting effect on the people you meet and you may not. They may not remember you but you'll remember them. Those experiences will become an indistinguishable aspect of your identity and you will grow more than you thought you had the room to. You will love more than you ever thought you could. You will come back a little different. And that's alright. Look forward to it. Think about where you're going to go next and what you're going to do and the all ways you'll change.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tae'shaona, It's nice to hear from you. We are glad to hear you had such a positive experience in Bogota. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Neha

Life changing experience

I was only in Bogota for a short 2 weeks, but to go was the best decision I ever made! The house felt like my home, and I made life long friends here. There was a nice balance between volunteering and being able to have free time to go do things on your own. What I loved the most was being able to volunteer at all the projects offered. I had signed up for childcare initially, but the flexibility in Bogota meant that I was able to volunteer with the homeless, at the abuelitas, at the orphanage as well as teaching English at the summer school. Teaching English was actually my favourite project, and I never would have known how much I actually enjoy teaching if it weren't for the flexibility of the volunteer work in Bogota.
Colombia is an amazing place and the country and people I have met will always have a special place in my heart!
I would go back and volunteer in a heart beat!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Neha, Thanks for sharing your feedback. It's great to hear that you felt at home in the volunteer accommodation in Colombia and that your volunteer experience was such positive one. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Emelie

Great Volunteer Experience in Bogota Colombia through IVHQ

IVHQ provides a safe and exciting environment to not only give to people in need, but also to travel and explore overseas. IVHQ allows flexibility in choosing where to volunteer in order to personalize the experience and provides opportunities to immerse yourself in the culture and fun of your home city. A great way to explore a new place while also giving back.

The food was delicious but sometimes ran out quickly. However, the house leaders are very good about accommodating peoples' needs.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emelie, Thanks for the recommendation. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we look forward to having you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

Isabel

Wonderful Experience

It was such a wonderful but also intense experience for me. I learnt a lot about colombia and its people. The organisation does e really great job and everything was well organized. The porjects are very different and everywhere is help needed. It felt so good to do something useful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Isabel, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your experience volunteering in Colombia with IVHQ. We hope to have you volunteer with us again soon.

Tim

Emerging Voices!!!

My experience with Emerging Voices in Bogota, Colombia was life altering. This was my first service trip and I was quite nervous. I arrived at night and an Emerging Voices staff member was waiting for me as I made it through customs. As we headed toward the apartment, Susi the Emerging Voices staff member, let me know some general do's and don'ts of Colombia. The apartment was very spacious and comfortable. The next day I went to my first project at Hogar, a orphanage. While at Hogar, I was so happy to see the kids and they were happy to see me. As they ran up to me and the other volunteers with open arms. My time at Hogar was mostly spent outside playing with the kids! Running around with the kids I quickly felt the effects of the thin air as I was quickly out of breathe.

Unfortunately, I was only in Bogota for 8 days so I did not get to see a lot of tourist attractions. Although the backdrop of the Andes Mountains was the only sight I needed. It was so surreal to me. As the week progressed I had the opportunity to accompany Monica, EV's Director, to Soacha. On this particular day, I was able to sit in on parent orientation for the upcoming school year. It was at Soacha where I felt I could be the best help. The students are so smart and anxious to learn. I left Soacha with the desire to do more and I plan to return very soon.

Darrell

Wonderful Experience

The staff and accomodations were excellent. This experience was life changing. I felt supported and was regularly updated and assisted. The staff were always available in person or by phone. A staff person travelled with us each day to the different programs. All of the programs expectations were clearly met.

I can't think of anything I would change.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...