Health, Medical & Physiotherapy Projects in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua

Age
Min. 18 years
14 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Low income communities have very limited access to good health services, and this is where this project comes in. We partner with rural clinics that provide free or very accessible service where volunteers can work with local doctors and nurses.

Health volunteering is perfect for people who are in pre-med or are thinking of majoring in medicine or a related field. As opposed to the medical volunteering program , volunteers in health support schools, elderly homes and programs for individuals with disabilities. In this program you will be supporting nurses and staff for patient’s well being helping administer medicine and taking care of patients.

• Work alongside local doctors and nurses to treat different conditions and prevent others in areas with scarce resources.
  • Venture to Reserva Natural Laguna de Apoyo for sailing, fishing, or a scenic hike
  • Our program based in the beautiful colonial city of Granada is the perfect balance between volunteer service and great location.

Medical volunteering projects

During this project, you will be: conducting health and hygiene workshops in rural schools, helping doctors by measuring patients vital signs, helping doctors and nurses with daily tasks at clinics, helping in state pharmacies to provide services, helping to diagnose patients, participating in medical outreach campaigns if one coincides with you service time, and teaching indigenous families in rural areas about basic health measures and nutrition.

PHYSIOTHERAPY

The health and physiotherapy program is for volunteers with a background in physiotherapy, rehabilitation or occupational therapy. Volunteers in this program can assist one of our partner clinics where many special needs patients are treated to develop their full potential. Some patients are able to come to the clinic, but volunteers will also go on house visits along with staff from the clinic.

HEALTH

What's Included
Airfare
Some Activities
Some Meals
What's Included (Extra)

Airport welcome and private transport to your host family, 24 hour support and emergency assistance, project orientation and safety chat, walking tour of local community, Private accommodation (shared bathroom),
Breakfast and dinner, Letter of recommendation

What's Not Included
Airfare
Airport Transfers
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Flights to and from country of destination
Transportation upon finishing program
Mandatory health/medical insurance . If you don’t have one you can purchase one here
Personal spending
Visa fees (if any)
Any additional travel and tours

HOUSING

We will provide you with accommodation with a host family

MEALS

Gallo Pinto and Casado are typical dishes in the country but you will find that it differs by region. The basic diet includes beans, rice, meat, seafood, all kind of fresh vegetables and fruits, bread and tortillas which is what you will be mainly eating.

Hosted by INLEXCA

INLEXCA offers volunteer programs , group volunteering and internships in Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. Our programs are customized to the participants to create great cultural experiences.

Availability

Eight Weeks
$1647 USD

Elijah

Worth every penny

Great company, the trip was worth every penny. I was very impressed with the program and able to accomplish much during my two week stay in Guatemala. I was able to develop many friendship and professional contacts with the locals and I will continue to use them for all my new future medical projects in different locations through Central America - Bravo INLEXCA!!

Dr. Elijah M. Freeman DPT, OCS, CSCS

Add more locations
Angela

Health group experience

Im a physiotherapy professor. I work at Universidad Europea de Madrid, and 5 years ago, I have been living in Tecpan for 3 weeks, and working with spanish students (medicine, physiotherapy, and nursing). They changed a lot in this 21 days, and became adults because of the experiences lived.
We have been working empowerment women, talking about equality, doing courses about: posture good health habits, all about pregnancy and breastfeeding, disease prevention, hand washing, healthy teeth ...

It was great for all :)

Kevin

From start to finish, every step of the program was a success!

I went to Guatemala with INLEXCA which turned out to be a great experience. Our group consisted of physical therapists and students from Idaho State University! Diego and Alex were our main volunteer coordinators and they could not have been more helpful or more personable. I can say that I am now friends with both of them and I invited both of them that they would be welcome in my home if they ever came to the United States! They paired us wi a great clinic in Tecpan, Guatemala, the JT children's foundation. Our trip was only 16 days long, but it proved to be a wonderful and enriching experience for all of us involved. We all stayed with host families who all proved to be the nicest people in the world! The family that I stayed with was nothing short of a good time. My host mom even went out into the market place with me to help me find deals and pick out souvenirs for my family. It was a great way to immerse ourselves in the culture!

They facilitated and coordinated well with the clinic to make sure we had a good learning experience and that we could accomplish our goals in what we wanted to achieve in our volunteer trip! They also planned activities such as hiking volcan Acatenango, visiting the iximche ruins, exploring and taking a boat ride on lake Atitlan, and seeing the old city of Antigua.

I could not have better things to say about our experience!

I would have liked a little bit more detailed information on the front end about which travel companies we would be hiking with, what the name was of the clinic we would be working with and a bit more planning as to the particular needs of the clinic staff so that we could come better prepared to know what to teach them.