Health, Medical & Physiotherapy Projects in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua

Age
Min. 18 years
5 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Low income communities have very limited access to good health services, and this is where this project comes in. We partner with rural clinics that provide free or very accessible service where volunteers can work with local doctors and nurses.

Depending on the volunteer’s experience in the medicine and health field, the level of responsibility and involvement will vary.

• Work alongside local doctors and nurses to treat different conditions and prevent others in areas with scarce resources.
  • Venture to Reserva Natural Laguna de Apoyo for sailing, fishing, or a scenic hike
  • Our program based in the beautiful colonial city of Granada is the perfect balance between volunteer service and great location.

The health and medical program is designed for medical students and health professionals from diverse areas, to work in rural clinics helping patients who have very limited access to health services. Volunteers in the medical program will work alongside local doctors and nurses to treat different conditions and prevent others in areas with scarce resources.

What could I be doing?
-Helping in physiotherapy exercises.
-Assisting nurses or doctors at a small clinic.
-Helping to take vital patient signs.
-Helping to diagnose conditions (if volunteer is experienced)
-Depending on the volunteers area of experience various other tasks can be assigned, such as: lab work, helping in the pharmacy, nutrition, etc.

Who is this program for?
-Volunteers with a medical or health background
-Physiotherapists

4 weeks

Location:
Granada and surroundings

What's Included
  • Homestay with Host Family (Private Room)
  • Breakfast and Dinner
  • Transportation from Airport and to Project Site
  • 24 Hour Emergency Assistance
What's Not Included
  • Travel
  • Mandatory Health/Medical Insurance

Accommodation is provided and includes placement with a local host family. You will have a private bedroom with shared bathroom facilities.

Meals

Breakfast and dinner are provided seven days per week. Food differs by region, however, beans, rice, meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables, and tortillas are staples in the Nicaraguan diet.

INLEXCA´s mission is to strengthen human resources in Central America through volunteer programs, educational tours and internships. In addition to this, INLEXCA provides opportunities to students, professionals, and interested persons from countries outside the Central American region, to better understand the reality and challenges faced by the countries in the region. We work towards :

-Sustainability in the projects and communities that we work in.
-Programs that promote cultural exchange.
-Safe and affordable programs.
-Strengthening and empowering communities.
-Authentic experiences for our volunteers.
-Facilitating education.

Our office was set up by former Peace Corps staff in Guatemala in 2005, who wanted to provide flexible programs that would allow prospective volunteers to choose how long they wanted to volunteer for and in what area they wanted to focus on.

Pricing and Availability

Elijah

Worth every penny

Great company, the trip was worth every penny. I was very impressed with the program and able to accomplish much during my two week stay in Guatemala. I was able to develop many friendship and professional contacts with the locals and I will continue to use them for all my new future medical projects in different locations through Central America - Bravo INLEXCA!!

Dr. Elijah M. Freeman DPT, OCS, CSCS

Add more locations
Angela

Health group experience

Im a physiotherapy professor. I work at Universidad Europea de Madrid, and 5 years ago, I have been living in Tecpan for 3 weeks, and working with spanish students (medicine, physiotherapy, and nursing). They changed a lot in this 21 days, and became adults because of the experiences lived.
We have been working empowerment women, talking about equality, doing courses about: posture good health habits, all about pregnancy and breastfeeding, disease prevention, hand washing, healthy teeth ...

It was great for all :)

Kevin

From start to finish, every step of the program was a success!

I went to Guatemala with INLEXCA which turned out to be a great experience. Our group consisted of physical therapists and students from Idaho State University! Diego and Alex were our main volunteer coordinators and they could not have been more helpful or more personable. I can say that I am now friends with both of them and I invited both of them that they would be welcome in my home if they ever came to the United States! They paired us wi a great clinic in Tecpan, Guatemala, the JT children's foundation. Our trip was only 16 days long, but it proved to be a wonderful and enriching experience for all of us involved. We all stayed with host families who all proved to be the nicest people in the world! The family that I stayed with was nothing short of a good time. My host mom even went out into the market place with me to help me find deals and pick out souvenirs for my family. It was a great way to immerse ourselves in the culture!

They facilitated and coordinated well with the clinic to make sure we had a good learning experience and that we could accomplish our goals in what we wanted to achieve in our volunteer trip! They also planned activities such as hiking volcan Acatenango, visiting the iximche ruins, exploring and taking a boat ride on lake Atitlan, and seeing the old city of Antigua.

I could not have better things to say about our experience!

I would have liked a little bit more detailed information on the front end about which travel companies we would be hiking with, what the name was of the clinic we would be working with and a bit more planning as to the particular needs of the clinic staff so that we could come better prepared to know what to teach them.