Learn Spanish & Volunteer in Costa Rica

Learn Spanish & Volunteer in Santa Teresa – a jungle surf camp hidden in tropical forest yet within a roar of the Pacific Ocean.

As well as Spanish lessons and meaningful volunteering placements, explore and enjoy the beautiful nature of Nicoya Peninsula and get a real feel for the biodiversity of this special part of the world.

You will be based at ‘Jakera Jungle Surf Camp’ where we have created a jungle paradise complete with swimming pool overlooked by a rich tropical forest bursting with wildlife including red squirrels, howler monkeys and tiny magical hummingbirds. We are a 5 min walk from the cool cafes, bars and shops that line the 6km stretch of road and beach that make up Playa Santa Teresa/Playa El Carmen.

Help preserve precious ecosystems - including turtle conservation - and raise the quality of life for local people. Enjoy a great social life and adventure activities including world-class surfing during your free time.

• Turtles! Make a connection with the natural world by protecting the eggs and hatchlings of Olive Ridley, Black Turtle, Hawksbill and Leatherback species who visit our beaches at night to nest.
  • Our jungle surf camp is so called because we are nestled in a tropical forest with tropical birds and monkeys for neighbours... yet with 5 minutes walk from the beach!
  • Our beach is one of the top 10 surf destinations in the world... a truly stunning location and great to unwind after a busy day...
  • Work alongside the ‘Santa Teresa Lifeguards’ helping with beach conservation to enhance this beautiful location.
  • Support the local 'Waterkeepers' with our tropical forest conservation efforts including helping with our tree nursery to ensure indigenous trees flourish.

Impact

Kitty

kittys review

These past few weeks have been incredible. I have really enjoyed all the opportunities which I've been given, I especially loved been in Santa Teresa and learning how to surf and also learning the Spanish language. I have deffinitley made life long friends from this trip and it was nice to mix with new people. A few of us loved it so much we ended up extending our stay. Would highly recommend so come see for yourself.

supper provided. Otherwise 100000%
Isabel

A gap year must!

I travelled to Costa Rica on the 1st September 2016 for 10 weeks at Jakera Jungle Surf Camp. I travelled from England and met up with a group of 8 other 18-25 year olds. The accomodation completely exceeded my expectations, it was large and spacious and the location was spectacular. Every week we had to work on a different volunteering project which meant that there was lots of variety in what we did, from cleaning the streets as part of a waste management project to spending a week at an isolated turtle sanctuary working with baby turtles! In my opnion the time was managed very well. We had plenty of free time to do our own activities but at the same time we were kept really busy so we never felt bored or homesick. All in all I would definitely recommend this program to any young person that wants a completely different experience from an extremely unique culture. If I could do it again I definitely would and I can say 100% that it was the best 10 weeks of my life.

About Jakera Costa Rica

Jakera have been running student programs and delivering travel solutions to clients in Central & South America since the mid 1990’s.

We like to give our clients authentic experiences that bring you into contact with people and environments in your...