• Costa Rica

BeginnerIntermediateAdvanced
Immersion Level
Intensive Standard
Class Size
Private Lessons Small Class (1-7)
Weekly Classroom Hours
Host Family Hostel Hotel

Pricing

Included in each program:
• Written and oral exam to assess Spanish level
• Airport pickup from SJO (Juan Santamaría International Airport)
• Orientation tour with map of Heredia and surrounding area
• 24/7 support and local contact in Heredia
• All necessary class materials: pencils, notebooks, etc.
• Wifi internet access both at school and in homestays
• Fresh coffee and tea throughout the day at school
• Dance and yoga classes as well as conversational “intercambios” with locals
• Official certificate of course completion
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Classes Some Meals Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

Written and oral Spanish exam
Airport pickup from SJO Airport
Orientation tour with map of Heredia
All necessary class materials
Free internet access at school and in homestays
Fresh coffee and tea each morning
Conversational classes with locals
Official certificate of course completion

What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Some Meals
Jan 24, 2024
Jun 20, 2024
91 travelers are looking at this program

Tico Lingo offers the most personalized and immersive Spanish programs in Costa Rica. We offer students a relaxed learning environment with small classrooms, free coffee, and good vibes.

Our Intensive Spanish Immersion Program aims to give students linguistic fluency through cultural immersion and an intensive Spanish curriculum. We emphasize oral communication and application by connecting students directly to the local community through conversational classes and homestay accommodation.

Program Highlights

• Flexible start dates; pick any Monday to start your classes
  • All levels welcome; start as a complete beginner or an advanced speaker
  • Airport pickup from SJO included
  • Free cultural activities like dance class and yoga
  • Free walking tour of the local city Heredia

• 1 rating 0%
  • Instruction 4.95
Clay

An awesome Spanish learning experience in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo transformed my Spanish skills far beyond what I achieved in high school and college courses. In just five weeks, my confidence soared, allowing me to hold regular conversations with native speakers. The program’s cultural immersion fosters out-of-class speaking and experimentation with our lessons. The intercambio conversation meet-ups were invaluable for practicing advanced grammar, something I rarely did in university. Meeting people from Costa Rica and around the world made learning Spanish incredibly enjoyable.

Heredia, the city where Tico Lingo is located, was a joy to explore. Its vibrant streets, welcoming locals, and rich cultural heritage added an extra layer to my learning experience. From bustling markets to tranquil parks, every part of Heredia contributed to my Spanish practice and cultural understanding.

Tico Lingo excels at making language learning fun and practical. The combination of immersive classes and the charming city of Heredia made my experience unforgettable. I'll definitely be back!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Granadilla
Shane

Immersion in Costa Rica

Tico Lingo school in Heredia was exactly what I needed to rejuvenate my Spanish-speaking skills. Nestled in the quaint city of Heredia, the school offers engaging group and private lessons tailored to every student's needs. What sets Tico Lingo apart are the daily complimentary classes in dance and yoga, adding a delightful cultural touch to the learning experience. Additionally, the school organizes weekend group tours to explore different parts of Costa Rica, enriching both language skills and cultural immersion. I spent two weeks at Tico Lingo and found myself wishing for more time to continue learning in such a vibrant and supportive environment.

Stephanie

Learned lots, met great people and had fun

I really enjoyed the intensive nature of the program. I really liked my homestay family and meals and I really appreciated how flexible the scheduling is. I stayed for two weeks and after the first week I was able to add on private lessons in addition to my group lessons at request. There were others that decided to stay longer as well at request which was really nice and seems like not a lot of Spanish programs offer that (granted I don’t know of many programs outside of TicoLingo). I also came with my friend and the coordinators made it possible for us to stay with the same host family which made my trip all the better! I am considering returning and would definitely recommend to anyone considering going. Would recommend you bring an umbrella if go during May, it rained hard and random most times.

Timothy

Great program!!

Tico Lingo offers a great program with excellent teachers and a helpful staff. This was the program I needed to catapult my Spanish to the next level. Everyone here wants to learn and the teachers are happy to help. There are also opportunities to experience Costa Rican culture and Latin culture. My Costa Rican family was very helpful, too. I should also add that the school and the Tica family network are centrally located near stores, restaurants, gyms, and anything else you might need. Everywhere you go there are plenty of opportunities to speak and learn Spanish.

Whatever amount of time you're planning at Tico Ling, try to add more.
Pros
  • Great teachers
  • Good facility
  • Dedicated students
Cons
  • It's humid. Deal with it.
  • I wanted more time.
Timothy

Great way to immerse in Spanish

I spent 4 weeks learning Spanish with Tico Lingo. My 2 professors were both incredibly capable and their lessons were productive and super fun. The homestay option really made the difference for me. Being immersed in Spanish 24/7 finally enabled me to break out of my plateau and get comfortable with speaking Spanish.

They organized weekly intercambio events where I got to meet and practice my Spanish with locals. These were very helpful for getting more exposure to the language in different contexts.

The weekends at Tico Lingo we're super fun as well. There were always tours or other activities to take part of.

Finally, Heredia and Costa Rica in general are super safe and nice places to visit.

Ps. The Coffee is amazing

Tico Lingo didnt offer a tour to Monte Verde so we organized a 4 person group with some other students and it was AMAZING! Highly recommend making it out there if you're in Costa Rica.
Pros
  • Home stay with a wonderful Tico Family
  • Intercambio events with locals
  • High quality of teaching
Cons
  • Slightly pricier than programs in other countries
  • Espresso drinks are more expensive than in Seattle (but better)
Kim

An Experience of a Lifetime

there are not enough words to express my gratitude to Tico Lingo, and for the experience I had.

I spent three weeks in Heredia - lived with an amazing family had every day the best meals of my life. Attending class for four hours each day was pure joy. My professor, Zaida, never spoke English but had a way of getting you to understand. and my Spanish improved a lot. The students I met were from 18 - 75 all walks of life from all over the globe. And the Ticos - the nicest folks you would ever want to meet. The tours were outstanding - did one each week.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stayed for a month.
Pros
  • very organized program
  • the country is beautiful
  • improved my Spanish
Cons
  • first week was brutally hot no AC in home but I adjusted
  • needed another week
  • did not have time to get to Monteverde
Kim

An Experience of a Lifetime

I spent three weeks in Heredia - lived with an amazing family had every day the best meals of my life. Attending class for four hours each day was pure joy. My professor, Zaida, never spoke English but had a way of getting you to understand - and my Spanish improved a lot.

The students I met were aged 18 - 75 and were from all walks of life from all over the globe. And the Ticos - the nicest folks you would ever want to meet. The tours were outstanding - did one each week. If you are serious about improving your Spanish and you enjoy being immersed in a country’s culture and you have the time, go for it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stayed for a month.
Pros
  • very organized program
  • the country is beautiful
  • improved my Spanish
Cons
  • first week was brutally hot no AC in home but I adjusted
  • needed another week
  • did not have time to get to Monteverde
Donna

Spanish Experience like no other.

I have never had formal Spanish lessons. I am from a Northern Canadian town. I had tried learning on my own for a year or so with not much success. I learned about Tico Lingo Program from a random Facebook person. Experiencing a country through a local home was a plus for me. I believe to see a country and learn their ways is best through a homestay. So this part of the program helped me make a decision on joining this language program. My host Mom was awesome. She spoke all Spanish as to my request. She was loving and kind beyond words. The school setting was welcoming and had a very fun loving and supportive atmosphere. The teaching method was interesting for me as a non native speaker. We learned through speaking, listening, and various lesson plans. There are extra curricular activities set up in the school. Weekend tours are extra but available to the students. At all times there was support for our needs; whether it was language related, site seeing help, or just general aide in our wants and needs. I would definitely recommend this Spanish program. The city of Heredia has a lot to offer a person wanting to immerse in a Spanish setting.

I would search out more information within Heredia such as: The Municipalidad Heredia, city activities, and such. I found excellent resources available through their tourist office and this allowed me more opportunities to meet locals and improve my speaking skills outside the classroom. I would also have the tours that our offered through the school set up monthly to give one a better choice as to options available. Maybe offer one free private class to allow a student the opportunity to see if it is necessary for their learning process.
Pros
  • Very open minded school setting so comfortable and welcoming.
  • Many teachers with various teaching methods.
  • Homestay is excellent for this program
Cons
  • I had no speaking experience and I may have benefited from private lessons but just wasn’t sure.
  • Think maybe seeing different teachers throughout weeks would be interesting even to get to know other teachers in school and experience different teacher methods.
  • Tours should be set up for say a four week period to help students make decisions on certain tours