Costa Rica: Family Volunteer Vacation with Discover Corps

Renowned for its world class abundance of wildlife and being the "happiest country on earth", Costa Rica is unrivaled in it's natural beauty. This program gives families an amazing opportunity to explore the different areas of central Costa Rica and lend a hand at a wildlife rescue center. Children of all ages have a deep connection with nature, and Costa Rica is the perfect place to nurture this passion!

Our Purpose: Despite Costa Rica's reputation for being a leader in sustainability, there is environmental pressure due to its gorwing population. The rate of deforestation is slowing increasing, and the number of wild animals that are injured by cars and electrical lines continues to grow. Spend on morning with a rural community in the highlands planting trees and learning about life in their town. Once we arrive on the Pacific coast, spend a morning volunteering at wildlife rescue center and get up close to sloths, spider monkeys, marmosets, and many more species.

• Begin your journeys in La Fortuna, the center of geological wonders, and help out at a wildlife rescue center where you'll spot wildlife such as toucans, sloths, and spider monkeys
  • Hike through the treetops of a cloud forest in Monteverde on hanging bridges
  • Visit the base of the Arenal Volcano and rejuvenate in a natural hot springs
  • Visit the district capital of Quepos (zip lining and rafting available for the adventurous traveler!)
  • Stay in several bed and breakfast style lodges from the rainforests of Monteverde to the Pacific coastline of Quepos

Gary

Costa Rica - great experience

This trip was a very fine experience. The guide and fellow travelers were wonderful to share experiencing Costa Rica with. We saw a wide variety of plant and animal wildlife at several national parks and an wildlife rescue center. The local people were very nice as we interacted with them in two volunteer experiences. This was my second trip with Discover Corps in Costa Rica and I would go again.

Alice

Exceeded our Expectations

I planned this vacation for our family of 6, before our two oldest go off to college. I knew it was going to be something different from our normal vacations but had NO idea how absolutely amazing it would be! Every day brought a new adventure, and every adventure gave us all an insight into Costa Rica as a country not just a destination. The activities brought us closer together as a family, and we enjoyed them all. Not even sure I could pick a favorite one. One meal was better then the next, we especially LOVED the Costa Rican family that taught us to make a true CR meal. They graciously brought us into their home. None of this would have been as amazing as it was without our guide, Tara. You could not ask for a better person to show us Costa Rica, she was absolutely wonderful. Her knowledge was incredible, she speaks Spanish fluently and without a doubt loves her job. Thank you so much Discover Corps for this fantastic experience for all of us from 15 to 58.

I don't think it could be. We were thrilled with all of it.
Kipp

Discover Corps: Costa Rica – Family Volunteer Vacation

My 16 year old daughter and I just returned from the Costa Rica – Family Volunteer Vacation. Discover Corps put together an experience which far exceeded my highest expectations. The pre-trip communications were helpful and I had a personal contact I could call or email as often as needed to get last minute information. I was well prepared with clothing and essentials thanks to their attention to pre-trip planning.

The trip was a blend of special experiences (including a meal and sugar cane pressing lesson with a family, a school with adorable children giving us a performance and getting to know about us and sharing about themselves, and a wildlife rescue center), along with tours from outstanding outfits in different areas of the country. There were also a few stops at top-notch vacation spots (hot springs and National Park beaches). The Discover Corps outfit had personal connections with the locals we spent time with, allowing us to enjoy a casual, comfortable time learning about the country and giving back to the people in various ways.

The two guides we had provided us with outstanding guidance and support. They were wonderful and fun people with unending knowledge of Costa Rica, which they would share spontaneously or if we had questions. They also knew spots where we would bump into wildlife along our route or good stops for photos or food. The restaurants they chose were locally owned and the food was always amazingly fresh and proudly presented. They were clearly professionally trained (always keeping a mindful eye on us, but often staying back a bit allowing us to take in our experience). We developed a warm connection with both guides.

The accommodations we stayed at ranged from rustic to wonderfully unique to a ‘good old staple’ Best Western. We felt the places we stayed were well suited to the type of experience we were pursuing.

I cannot say enough good things about the Discover Corps staff and the volunteer vacation experience they put together.

No possible way - perfect!

About Discover Corps

Discover Corps is a new way to travel. Our authentic, off the beaten track itineraries plug travelers into the daily lives of local people.

Our team of local Program Hosts gives you unparalleled access to the lives of people and the stories of...