The Most Affordable Volunteer in Costa Rica - 25K happy Volunteers Since 2006

Volunteer Costa Rica
Volunteer Costa Rica

Are the tropics calling your name? Do you want to explore a magical country while helping to improve life there for the locals? Costa Rica is a tropical delight and the jewel in the crown of Central America; however, it is a developing country with much-needed aid for the country’s real problems, such as social imbalance and healthcare.
We offer countless volunteer projects in Costa Rica including teaching English, working with orphans, environmental conservation and more – If you can dream it, we have a volunteer opportunity in Costa Rica that can fullfil it. Not only will you be giving back to the people of Costa Rica, but you will be taking in the immense beauty of the gorgeous beaches and flourishing jungles while doing so.

Grab your keyboard and write us an email right now, while you’re thinking about how fantastic this could be.

• The world’s most affordable volunteer programs – starting at $ 140.
  • Low Fees are paid directly to host families and projects with absolutely no middlemen!
  • Experience the personal satisfaction of improving the lives of those in need who desperately need assistance.
  • Your one-time low fee cover accommodations, food, project costs, and support by expert and trustworthy local staffs.
  • Your safety is our utmost priority. We fully understand it can feel intimidating to be far from home in an unfamiliar country. But you’ll never feel alone with our 24/7 expert support staff and services.

Corinna

Volunteer Osa Peninsula Sea Turtle

Had a really nice time at Latin American Sea Turtle Project. The staff and service was excellent. I learnd a lot more about those lovely animals and about nature in general. I can‘t say that mich because I only had time to stay for 5 days. So I tecommend you should definitely stay a longer time. I was there in October so it’s the rain season. But the weather was actually very good always sunny in the morning and later on it rained or sometimes also just a little so really perfect, because it wasn’t to crazy hot. The cabin I stayed in was also good and the food they served me everyday. The host family was super cute and friendly and tried to communicate with me as good as possible, because I couldn’t speak Spanish at all. All in one, an amazing experience.

Practice your Spanish or bring a dictionary to make sure you can communicate better with the people you stay with
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Corinna,

Thank you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and also for the wonderful feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed at the Turtle Project. We hope that we can see you in the future someday. We wish you all the best.

Michelle

Life Changing Experience!

My daughter and I volunteered for 2 weeks at the NATUWA Wildlife Sanctuary. We were looking for a true hands on experience that was affordable and educational. It was all that and more!
The staff were knowledgeable, extremely friendly and loved to joke around! They also took their work very seriously. We felt welcome for the moment we arrived and learned so much from them! The kitchen staff were very accommodating to vegetarian and gluten free diets. You will not go hungry!
The theme was, “work hard, play hard” while we were there. Every day was different. Besides preparing food and feeding the animals twice a day, we worked on many projects throughout the sanctuary. It was very satisfying work. At the end of the day there was time to relax in a hammock, play games or go into town. We often walked to the local store and hung out by the soccer field. We even joined in a soccer game with the locals... so fun!!! We felt welcome wherever we went.
We also got one day off a week to go on a day trip. We organized a trip with 8 of us and hired a tour company to take us snorkeling and go swimming on a beautiful island. Along the way, they took us to an island where we got to see spider monkeys swinging around. They also took us past a rocky area where there were may birds. Along the way we saw lots of dolphins and a whale! We ended the trip with a visit to the bioluminescent water, where we could go swimming!
Although I went with my 17 year old daughter, I didn’t see much of her during the work day. She was busy giving tours of the sanctuary and working on different projects. There were 4 feeding routes, too, that we rotated during our stay. This allowed us to get to know all the animals at the sanctuary. There were many young people volunteering, as well as a family and people of different ages. We all made new friends and are in touch through WhatsApp!
We will definitely volunteer through IFRE again!!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We fell in love with the baby anteater! It was so cool to watch it climb and search for food... adorable!!!
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Michelle ,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to know that both you and your daughter enjoyed our wildlife project. Thank you so much for taking out the time to volunteer with us. We wish you both all the best in your future endeavours!

Arthur

Beautiful Country, Great Project

It was really fun to be in an international camp like this, with people coming from around the world. It was great to discover turtle’s life and learn about how we can protect them. The staffs were always present to help, support and were very kind. The schedule was different each day. Costa Rica is a safe, beautiful country with lots of natural beauty. The accommodation was also fine. I’m very grateful to IFRE and to ASVPA for organizing such an amazing mission in Matapalo.

Volunteers can be offered some sort of sports activities when they are not in charge with hatchery. Increasing the night shifts could be very exciting for volunteers. Finally, informing local people and tourists about why is it important to protect turtles and nature will improve this program even more.
Susan

Wildlife Program (Natuwa)

My volunteering experience with my friend at the Wildlife Sanctuary was amazing. The Program surpassed our expectations. People of Costa Rica are very friendly and welcoming. IFRE and its country support staff were very good, always caring for us and making sure everything thing was done as planned.

Weather, people, animals were all amazing in Costa Rica. It is hard for me to explain in words the beauty of Costa Rica and it’s wonderful animals. One must come and explore from themselves. The conservation project was very helpful, I learned a lot and finally I also got a chance to meet new friends from all over the world.

I would recommend the trip to anyone who loves wildlife and wants to experience Costa Rica. We will definitely come back to Costa Rica and volunteer with IFRE again in the near future. Thank you!!!

The site could be made more environmentally sustainable using recycling and solar options.
Jenisha

Turtle Conservation Program in Costa Rica

I enjoyed the program very much right from inception to the end. I arrived at the airport and Yeal was waiting for me outside with my name on the Ply board. I was then taken to my host family, who were very nice, accommodating and friendly. The next day I started the program. The first day activities included watching the turtles, analyzing their behavior. Measuring their size and weight, helping and feeding the injured turtles and releasing them once they are recover.

It was definitely a great experience.

Increasing the number of turtles in the off season.

Location:
Limón International Airport
( LIO )
Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport
( LIR )

A pioneer of ecotourism, Costa Rica draws many tourists to its extensive series of national parks and other protected areas. Costa Rica began reversing deforestation in the 1990s, and they are moving towards using only renewable energy. Head to the cloud forest, relax on the beautiful beaches or visit a coffee farm.

About IFRE Volunteers Abroad

IFRE Volunteers, a leading U.S. volunteer abroad organization, specializes in ongoing, year-round projects available from 1 week to 12 weeks in 20 countries throughout Asia, Africa and Latin America. Wherever you choose to go, your IFRE volunteer...