Heredia is a relaxed Costa Rican city filled with enjoyable parks, lively plazas, and friendly locals. Lying approximately 10 km northwest of San José in the verdant tropical foothills of the Barva Volcano, Heredia is the perfect mix of city and countryside ideal for practicing your Spanish.
In Heredia, Costa Rica, we have relationships with a variety of organizations, especially in the educational and geriatric service fields. Throughout your program, you will create a service-learning portfolio, which is a compilation of reflection-based assignments and activities. Through service at a local organization and these guided reflection activities, our goal is to help you gain a better understanding of the local language, culture, and community, as well as a deeper understanding of how local experts are creating positive changes with available resources.
Each of our service-learning community-based organizations is unique, so please visit the ISA Service-Learning website to learn more
- Receive personalized advising on service opportunities and program options that are the best fit for you. You will receive confirmation of the community-based organization you have been matched with before departure
- Begin your transition to daily life in your new country and culture on the Bridging Cultures Program, our in-country orientation.
- Benefit from the ISA office, located on the Universidad Latina campus. Enjoy the company of on-site staff, your fellow service-learning participants and ISA students, and use the Wi-Fi Internet provided at the ISA office.
- Have the opportunity to earn academic credit.
- Demonstrate the professional, cultural, and personal competencies you acquired while on the program through reflection-based assignments and activities that make up the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio.