Volunteer with Youth Challenge International in Costa Rica

Volunteer with Youth Challenge International in Costa Rica

Join Youth Challenge International in Costa Rica on the Youth Discovery program! For more than 17 years, YCI has been working with Reto Juvenil Internacional (RJI), a local organization that offers volunteers a wide variety of options and experiences in Costa Rica. From economic and social development to environmental awareness and education, there is sure to be a project for every type of volunteer.

The volunteer programs focus on education and life skills for youth and preservation of the environment, especially rain forests. Ecotourism and environmental projects include creating and maintaining park trails, basic infrastructure construction, and environmental education. By living in Costa Rica and promoting sustainable community projects, volunteers have the chance to make a difference and immerse themselves into a new and beautiful culture. Visit the YCI website for more information!

North America » Costa Rica

MCAT
Mississauga, Ontario
University of Toronto

Volunteering in Costa Rica with YCI

I found the overall experience to be very positive. At first I was worried about being able to make a difference in just three weeks, but the attendance at our English workshops was very high and I was able to appreciate the impact we had. I did not always love the volunteer activities, like helping at the recycling center, but anything can be fun when you are surrounded by wonderful people. I got to experience things I never would have at home, like walking cows (yes really!) and seeing a calf being born. I also made several close friends because of this experience that I would not have met otherwise.

Bhavjit
Surrey, British Columbia
University of British Columbia

My Trip - Bhavjit Grewal

This was one of the best experiences of my life. The community was very welcoming and was located in a very scenic area thus it was always a treat to wake up and look out the window to enjoy the view. My favourite workshop that we did was a sports day twice a week with the elementary school kids. It was a fun way to get to know the children in the community and also teach them new sports such as California kick ball. I also enjoyed the English classes that we hosted because by teaching the students English my Spanish also got better. The main difficulty I encountered was the fact that I knew no Spanish whatsoever when I came to Costa Rica, therefore a lot of body language was used initially. However, I slowly picked up on it and after about a week or two it was no longer an issue.

Derrick
Toronto, Canada
University of Toronto

My experience as a YCI volunteer in Costa Rica has served as one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It was during this time that my passion for youth development was cultivated! I had the chance to work alongside some of the most driven young people.

I recommend YCI to anyone who wants to learn and grow by doing! I had the chance to participate in a dynamic project that allowed me to work with my hands and facilitate learning through engaging in meaningful conversation, about almost anything!

I continue to value my experience as a volunteer and hope that many more people are able to have the opportunity to engage in this kind of learning.

Youth Challenge International (YCI) is confident that the youth of North America has the power to make an important impact on the development of global youth as well as international community development. With youth development volunteer programs in seven countries around the world, YCI offers