Live in a remote coastal community in Cuba and volunteer helping with a local marine conservation initiative. You will live in Cocodrilo, on Cuba's Isle of Youth. As the coral reef restoration volunteer, you will contribute to an ongoing initiative to improve and monitor coral reef health. The data collected will help guide the environmental planning of this protected area.
This will include:
Coral reef monitoring
Fish & seagrass surveying
Lionfish monitoring and capture
Volunteers will snorkel to conduct this work, with the exception of the coral gardening and lionfish monitoring, which will require volunteers to scuba dive (certification required).
Volunteers will also have the opportunity to conduct sea turtle monitoring on a nesting beach near Cocodrilo during sea turtle season (May-October).
- Live in a picturesque Cuban coastal community and learn about Cuban culture.
- Participate in a marine conservation community initiative, protecting Cuba's important natural resources.
- Bond with other volunteers, staff, and community members.
- Spend time under the water either snorkeling or diving or walking along the beach.
- Explore Cocodrilo and Cuba's Isle of Youth--a truly hidden treasure!