The Reef and Costal Habitat Restoration Volunteer will contribute to an ongoing initiative to improve and monitor coral reef health and help in the restoration of the coastal habitat off the southern coast of the Isle of Youth, Cuba. Volunteers will conduct work in the following areas based on the community’s needs:
Coral reef monitoring and gardening
Lionfish monitoring and capture
Invasive species removal
Volunteers can snorkel to conduct this work, except for coral gardening and lionfish monitoring, which require volunteers to scuba dive. Data collected will help support the environmental planning of the protected area.
Volunteers may also have the opportunity to conduct sea turtle monitoring on a nesting beach near Cocodrilo during sea turtle season depending on conditions (May-October).
- Live in a picturesque Cuban coastal community and learn about Cuban culture.
- Participate in a marine conservation community initiative, protecting Cuba's important natural resources.
- Bond with other volunteers, staff, and community members.
- Spend time under the water either snorkeling or diving or walking along the beach.
- Explore Cocodrilo and Cuba's Isle of Youth--a truly hidden treasure!