COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Intercultural Outreach Initiative (IOI) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
As the Marine and Coastal Habitat Conservation Volunteer, you will contribute to an ongoing initiative to improve and monitor marine and coastal ecosystem health. The data collected will help guide the environmental planning of this protected area.
Your volunteer time will consist of marine and coastal habitat restoration work. On land, this includes, invasive species removal, reforestation, bird diversity counts and data collection. Work in the water includes snorkeling to conduct fish and seagrass surveys, underwater trash pickups, and invasive species removal (lionfish capturing).
Accommodation is provided at Villa Arrecife, our volunteer house and dive center. The house has air conditioned bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and back patio and is minutes from the ocean.
- Live in a picturesque Cuban coastal community and learn about Cuban culture.
- Participate in a marine conservation community initiative, protecting Cuba's important natural resources.
- Bond with other volunteers, staff, and community members.
- Spend time under the water snorkeling.
- Explore Cocodrilo and Cuba's Isle of Youth--a truly hidden treasure!