ISA Service-Learning in Santiago, Dominican Republic

ISA Service-Learning in Santiago, Dominican Republic

Founded in the late 15th century by Columbus’ expedition, Santiago is known as the “Heartland City” of the DR. The city serves as an epicenter for baseball, commerce, and culture. The surrounding area is full of mountains, beaches, and jungles, providing residents with endless opportunities to enjoy the nature and laid-back atmosphere.

Service fields include youth centers, nonprofit pharmacies, human rights organizations, and many others. Through service at a local organization and guided reflection activities, our goal is to help you gain a better understanding of the local language, culture, and community.

Each service-learning placement is unique, so please visit the ISA Service-Learning website to learn more about the specific placements and program options available in Santiago. We especially recommend Santiago for those interested in health clinics and youth development.

• Receive personalized advising on service opportunities and program options that are the best fit for you. You will receive confirmation of the community-based organization you have been matched with before departure.
  • Begin your transition to daily life in your new country and culture on the Bridging Cultures Program, our in-country orientation.
  • Benefit from the ISA office, located near the PUCMM campus in the neighborhood of La Loteria. Enjoy the company of your fellow service-learning participants and ISA students, practicing Spanish with our staff, Wi-Fi internet, and a short walk to the ocean
  • Have the opportunity to earn academic credit.
  • Demonstrate the professional, cultural, and personal competencies you acquired while on the program through reflection-based assignments and activities that make up the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio.
North America » Dominican Republic » Santiago
North America » Dominican Republic
What's Included in an ISA Service-Learning Program:

• Comprehensive advising and support
• Visa support
• Bridging Cultures Program, the on-site cultural and academic orientation
• Meals and laundry service
• Guaranteed placement with community based organization
• Full-time resident staff with a maximum 20:1 student to staff ratio
• On-site ISA office, computer and internet access (WiFi)
• Airport reception
• One year digital subscription to The New York Times

Anna
DePauw University

Both sides of the story

This was an incredible experience. Working in a community center teaching English to children was difficult, and balancing teaching English and taking university classes was something that I had to figure out. Overall, I think I got much more out of the experience in the DR than other ISA students in my program who didn't participate in the ELAP portion. I was able to see both sides of life in the Dominican Republic; the high-end academic and also how people live in underprivileged neighborhoods. I went for two hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It took me about 40 minutes to arrive at the community center by concho (the Dominican mode of transportation), and I taught one hour of class, gave the kids a 15-minute break, and taught the remaining 45 minutes. I then went back to the city and went to my university classes.

I would not have so many online essays, and more in-person meetings.

Jessica
New York, New York
Nassau Community College

my time in the D.R

My time in the Dominican Republic was unforgettable. I had much fun exploring it, and the support offered to me was unexplainable! I was shown how to get around and survive incase I experienced hard times. I tell everyone about it when ever I have a chance, they have to either do the stand alone elap programs or the full semester. ELAP made living abroad away from family way okay! They were at a walking distance from my location of residency and their office hours were very convinient! One thing I would have like to see more of are "estudiantes de apoyo", I felt like their direct conversation stimulated alot of the Spanish of other students. With them around it also made it easier to ask questions so the students didn't have to seem as if they were always talking to an adult. I am always available for a testimony about my great experience in the Dominican Republic. I am fluent in both english and spanish. If you need more of my time, please consider asking someone from elap for my information.

described in the statement above :)

ISA Internships & Service-Learning provides participants unique experiential learning programs abroad. ISA Internships focuses on finding participants high-quality, customized professional work experiences in a wide variety of career fields. Through our support and professional development resources, participants are able to apply their classroom education in