Turtle Conservation in Ecuador, from $550

International volunteers work with the local NGO in their goal to obtain as much information as possible in order to conserve Ecuador's ecosystem and marine resources. The volunteers do a variety of tasks, including (day and night) beach patrols, tagging and measurement of the turtles, egg counting and nest tagging, telemetry activities aboard a boat, amongst others.

Volunteers stay in shared dorms in a volunteer house that can accomodate up to 10 volunteers. The house includes a functional kitchen, bathrooms with flushing toilets and some 'social areas' for the volunteers to socialize and relax. NGO staff provide orientation and assistance throughout your stay. Meals are not included.

The program finds itself in Puerto Lopez, a small fishing village with an authentic charm to it. In their free time, volunteers can scuba dive, go whale watching, check out some of the incredible natural beauty on offer in a nearby national park or relax at some of the beautiful beaches.

Arturo

First capture

As the first week was coming to an end, as part of the volunteering program we went for green turtle capture. This consist on using a specific type of fish as bait to attract turtles and then capture them to take some measurement to see how the population is evolving. At first everything was calm, since any turtle came to eat the bait. But as soon as one approach everybody jumped off their seats and started to get ready. At first ,I did not know how we were supposed to bring the turtle up the boat, so I thought we might have a net or something similar. But NO, a staff from the volunteering program, who is an expert diver jumped on the turtle who was swimming and grab it. As soon as he approach the boat with the turtle we help him put it on the boat. I couldn't help since I was almost in shock, with everything, as it happened so fast. That first capture was something I could not forget since it let me amazed. After taking all the measurements and making sure we had gathered all the information we needed from the turtle we released it. As we did more captures I realized that was the procedure, and even try it myself (with no success since the turtle escaped) but was definitely an experience I wish everybody could live.

James

Great hands on experience

A great introduction to marine turtle monitoring, I gained plenty of practical experience measuring, handling and tagging turtles. Volunteers monitor the beautiful 'Playita' beach which is part of a National Park and restricted to the public.

Caleb

Incredible Experience

This program is an incredible way to both learn a lot and have a serious impact on the envrironment around Puerto Lopez. Having the ability to work with sea turtles is an incredible privilege. Along with that you aid in the effort to save an endangered species that desperately needs our help. I have traveled a decent amount and I really liked how this program was run and would recommend it to anyone looking to spend some time in Ecuador and was looking for a bit more than just beaches and relaxation.

The place where the volunteers lived was a little small and run down but they were actually in the process of moving to a new location and actually designing the new building themselves so this problem is likely to be solved shortly.

About International Volunteer Services

We are an international volunteer organization, with programs in South East Asia and South America, which differentiates itself, above all, along three lines:

- By offering a very personalized service in English, French and Spanish, of programs that...