• Ecuador
    • Galapagos

Program Details

Pricing

$500 USD
Costs include staying in a shared villa with full room and board, local coordination and training at respective facilities, local project-related transport, full access to our facilities, National Park certificates, all backup and support from staff and WorkingAbroad Projects. Personal expenses, travel insurance and your airfare to and from the Galapagos are not included.
Nov 06, 2019
Dec 09, 2019

This is a fantastic opportunity to join a variety of environmental, conservation and community development projects on Isabela island, Galapagos. These projects allow volunteers to give back to the community whilst becoming part of a dynamic team. Projects include Galapagos Giant Tortoise Conservation Volunteer project, Galapagos Endemic Botany Conservation project, Medical Internships - Galapagos Public Health Volunteer Project and English Teacher Assistant– Galapagos Education Volunteer Project.

Liza

Conservation in the Galapagos

San Cristobal is the island with the capita of the Galapagos and is the third biggest. It is not as commercial as Santa Cruz but it has beaches, hiking and places to drink and eat after work. You will stay 5kms out of town in a hostel with plain shared rooms and good food. Taxis into town are easy to get and there are many options for weekend activities on this island or on others. You will have a cross section of experiences covering sea lions, iguanas, petrels and giant tortoises. There is weeding, attacking blackberry and lantana with machetes and gathering otoy for the tortoises. We also painted a mural at a school.It’s a well supported project, and better than others whose volunteers I spoke to. You’ll feel safe and there are people of other nationalities and ages to share free time with.

If you’re flexible I wouldn’t make any changes. You need to know that there are early starts and limited tools but nothing beyond a reasonable level of fitness.
Rachael

best trip ever

Visiting the Galapagos has been a lifelong dream of mine. I was traveling solo so I searched for a program that would give me some structure in an unfamiliar country but also enough freedom to explore as much as I wanted. Projects Abroad was perfect for this. The volunteer work was fun and worth-while and the staff and host families were beyond amazing and helpful. On the weekends and evening I had plenty of time to explore other islands, scuba dive and see everything I wanted to. I made lifelong friends from around the world. I highly recommend this project, and can't wait to participate in another one some day.

Plan a trip for as long as you possibly can. This may seem obvious but I thought two weeks was enough, and it flew by and I wished I had more time to explore and be with the people from the project.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Plan on arriving over the weekend before your project starts. This will give you enough time to settle in and not miss the beginning of the work week.
Rachael

One of the best experiences of my life

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Andrew

beautiful islands - great team

Based on San Cristobal, there a good variety of things to do, and the team make sure that you see a lot of the island and participate in different types of projects. There are some early starts, and some of the work can be physical, but you feel like you are part of the local team doing useful work to help conserve this unique place. You will get the chance to see many iconic species of animals in this project from only a couple of metres away. The host family and local project team are all passionate about their work and will ensure that you are looked after.

Top tip - if you want to have side trips, a drink at the bar, or buy any souvenirs, be prepared that this is not a cheap destination and you will spend $$$ quickly - but it is definitely worth considering if you have the opportunity once in your life

Have some bikes at the residence to enable you to get into town more simply
Daisy

Loved it!

Absolutely loved my time on the Galapagos Islands! Had an amazing time doing the conservation work especially the work with the tortoises. I made some great friends and got to see some of the other islands in my spare time as well. All of the team on San Cristobal are super helpful, with projects but also with fun things to do in free time and the best ways to explore some of the other islands. The host families you stay with are also super helpful and i even learnt some spanish by the end. It was hard work but ultimately worth it in the end. I would recommend this trip for anyone looking for a way to make a difference whilst also getting to experience one of the most beautiful places in the world. I stayed for 3 weeks but wish i had had the chance to stay for so much longer.

Don’t stress about it all too much! Everyone feels the same way when you arrive but within a day everyones loving it