Volunteer Abroad in Ecuador - United Planet: 1-12 weeks

Volunteer Abroad in Ecuador - United Planet: 1-12 weeks

United Planets Quest Volunteer Abroad program offers you or your group a life-changing opportunity to interact with local communities through customized work experiences, cultural activities, and home stays. United Planet Quests are offered in more than 25 countries from 1-52 weeks.

Located east of the famous and historical Galapagos Islands, Ecuador contains within its borders a variety of landscapes and cultures! As a volunteer you will have the opportunity to stay in one of the most beautiful capital cities of South America Quito!

South America » Ecuador
Project Types
* Host family accommodations and meals
* Devoted support from the United Planet team
* Travel insurance
* Pre-departure training
* 1-way transfer from airport to UP's partner office for briefing
* Orientation, mid-Quest check-in, final evaluation
* Language lessons
* Historical, cultural and recreational excursions
* Global Caring Award upon successful Quest completion
* United Planet t-shirt or hoodie sweatshirt

Chelsea
Sydney, NS
Cape Breton University

Nursing students take on Quito, Ecuador

We spent a day at a clinic in the south of Quito and it was truly a life changing experience. This clinic has an adult day program, children physio, adult physio, rehab, doctors visits and more. The didn't have very much and made do with whatever recourses they had available. They were SO very appreciative of any and all donations. We could not speak any Spanish but they will welcomed us with opened arms! The adult day program was my favorite. The people that go there so not have a lot of money but with their happy spirts and warm hearts you would never be able to tell. Truly life changing and eye opening!

The only thing I can think of is the pre-departure web meeting we had could be improved. The lady that did ours was never in Ecuador and she had a really hard time answering questions. I think that the meeting should be with someone that has either went down there before or one of the in country supports.

Response from United Planet

Chelsea, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. We are very excited that your Quest was a life changing experience. Also, we appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to improve our programs to provide the best experience for our volunteers.

Jessica
Monmouth, Oregon
Western Oregon University

Traveling for a Cause

Traveling to Ecuador for this service trip was the first time I have traveled out of the country and I could not have been more happy with my experience. The people, the culture, and the general attitude of Ecuador was so welcoming and fun. I would definitely recommend this service trip to pretty much anyone who wants to serve while traveling! Also, if you are not fluent in Spanish, THAT IS OKAY! I knew very little Spanish and did not fell ashamed or unwelcome because of it!

When we left Oregon, it was pretty confusing as to what our objective of the service trip was. We were not expecting what we got, even though we absolutely loved every second of it. It felt a little unclear and a tad disorganized.

Response from United Planet

Jessica, thank you for sharing about your volunteer Quest to Ecuador with us. We are excited that you had a great experience on your trip. Also, we appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to improve our programs so that our volunteers enjoy the best experience abroad.

Jessica
Halifax, NS, Canada
Cape Breton University

Nursing Abroad

Getting to see the healthcare system in another country and participate in providing care there was life changing. I have brought so many lessons back to Canada with me. I thought we were going to Ecuador to help the people there, but I feel like it was really the other way around. I also feel like my life priorities and future goals changed. I now want to do more, travel further, and try nursing across the globe. I've never thought seriously about adopting a child, but after visiting an orphanage in Quito, I've realized that doing so would fit me as a person more than I ever could have known.

It was hard to afford as a student. I don't regret it though.

Response from United Planet

Jessica, thank you for sharing your life-changing experiences with us. We are so glad that United Planet helped you determine your life priorities and future goals.

Rakhi
Houston, TX
Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge

solo traveler to a beautiful country

I took this trip as a solo travel/volunteer trip to Ecuador. United Planet had a really great support system and was very organized throughout the application process. They were all prompt with responding and the in country staff was also prompt with travel accommodations to and from the airport..

I'm a PA, certified and all, so I was hoping for more experience and exposure to the under-served areas of Quito, where healthcare is not readily accessible and where I could be of more help. However, I was placed in a private clinic to observe, which I did appreciate observing how things are done differently vs in the US. The spanish classes were great, b/c I'm not very fluent in Spanish but with my broken/basic spanish, I was able to communicate with most ppl. Most of all, I really enjoyed having the complete independence after the first day, which meant I got to explore the city of beautiful Quito. It was so fun!

Quito is actually really safe, compared to even some cities in the US. Be smart about traveling at night. The most common crime is pocket thefts in crowded spaces like the bus/trains. I would highly recommend the trip to students, but as for professionals, I would inquire about what you'd be able to assist in b/c you might be observing more.

For professionals, I think it would be more helpful to see what their expectations are, given that they may be setting their expectations on being hands on and really being able to help with their skills. Since I wasn't able to see what I was hoping to be exposed to, I was a little disappointed, but I also understand that Pablo wasn't available the week that I was in Ecuador. So I may have been placed in a different area if he was there.

United Planet is an international non-profit organization based in Boston, MA with a mission to enhance cross-cultural understanding while addressing shared challenges to create a community beyond borders, one relationship at a time. We connect volunteers who want to make a difference with communities in