Make a REAL difference in Ghana - From just $399!

Make a REAL difference in Ghana - From just $399!

Volunteer with Love Volunteers in Ghana and explore this amazing country! With several locations throughout Ghana and many options for volunteers to give back, there is sure to be an activity for every volunteer. Volunteer projects include: teaching nearly every subject, orphanage work, working at a kids creative art center, and medical placements.

Volunteers stay in a volunteer house or with a local host family. Volunteer placements also include two meals per day and general work days are Monday-Friday 9am to 4pm. Visit the Love Volunteers website for more details!

Current Love Volunteers Programs:

Creative Arts
Childcare & Development
Education Support
Medical Internship

Volunteer anywhere from 2 weeks to 24 months
Make a noticeable impact in the communities you serve

Africa » Ghana » Kumasi
1 Year+
Love Volunteers registration fee, plus program fees starting at just US$399 for 2 weeks.
Program fees cover airport pickup, orientation, accommodation, and food (see website for specific program details).
The Love Volunteers registration fee covers any placements you undertake for twelve months from the start of your first placement.
This fee is refundable if you choose not to volunteer more than three months prior to the start of your initial placement.
Volta and Ashanti

Jessee
Boulder, Colorado

Ghana stole my heart

Ghana stole my heart. I cannot explain how sacred this journey was. Not only did I become a member of a beautiful family of 50 children; but I gained a much better understanding of myself and the world around me.
As Americans, our worth and happiness is based upon our materialist mindsets. We all fall victim to unnecessary complaining, judgment and negativity. Unknowingly, we let our egos get in the way of the interactions we have with ourselves, others and the world around us. We forget how auspicious our lives are here in America and (me included) take a lot of things for granted.
In Ghana I witnessed joy, love and happiness like I’ve never seen before. The kids at the orphanage live beyond what you and I would consider minimal; yet they are the most grateful, compassionate and intelligent humans I have ever met. The kids range from 2-23 years old; most have never seen a computer and none of them have phones. They don’t have social media; therefore, their interactions and relationships are genuine and unfeigned. Their culture is flip flopped to that of America.
People live on .25 American cents a day which in their currency is 1 cedi. Their minimum wage per WEEK is 5 cedi’s which is equivalent to $1.50. Yet this is all they need to survive and never did I hear a complaint. They are the most magnificent people that I have ever had the privilege learn and grow with. I am already planning my trip to go back during Christmas. Always sending my love and blessings to everyone who shared their lives and their wholesomeness with me.

Johanna
Kumasi, Ghana

Orphanage Volunteering

It was one of the best decisions in my life to go to Ghana for Volunteering. I will never forget this experience. I've received so much love from all the people there. I feel in the love with the kids there, i think anyone will do! I can totally recommend you going there. This is something you will carry in your heart a lifetime.

Beside all the medical preparation beforehand I can recommend you to go there with an open mind and heart and it will be the best time in your Life.
Everyone is so helpful and caring that you will feel like you are visiting family! :)

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Johanna,
What a fabulous person you are and an absolutely wonderful volunteer - thanks!
We simply couldn't agree more with your comment:
"Beside all the ... preparation beforehand I can recommend you to go there with an open mind and heart and it will be the best time in your Life."
This is the best advice future volunteers can take on-board.
Thanks again and we hope to have you back on the team again sometime.

MattT
Newcastle, England
University of Sunderland

Ghana is Great!

I spent three weeks in Ghana through Love Volunteers teaching in a local village primary school - staff were great and very helpful, as were host family! I felt safe and well looked-after as was first time in Africa and a lone volunteer. Only downside was lack of teaching materials in the local school, though not project's fault - more, the school's!!!

Perhaps a longer induction to the project would have been beneficial!!

Response from Love Volunteers

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the review and for pointing out that the programs we work on are often underfunded and under-resourced! It's great to hear that you were able to use your initiative and work around the restrictions.
Thanks for being an awesome volunteer.

kora
USA

Amazing Experience - Love Volunteers are Awesome!

Like most people I was nervous about signing up to volunteer. I felt like a big leap of faith, but I'm so glad I chose Love Volunteers. They were helpful throughout the process - answering questions before I signed-up, checking up on me after I'd arrived and getting my feedback throughout.

The local team are super helpful and friendly and I felt that there was real need on the projects.

There are obviously some tough issues to deal with, but largely that is the same when doing any kind of travelling in any developing country.

Overall the experience was enlightening and incredibly rewarding and I would recommend it to anyone :)

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Kora,
What a great account of the volunteering experience!
It would be an unusual person who didn't feel nervous about travelling (often alone) to a completely unfamiliar environment. It does require a great deal of faith and we take our role of supporting volunteers seriously. We're so pleased to hear we're doing our job well.
All the best,

Lauri
Joensuu, Finland

Volunteer in Ghana

Hospitality

Africans are known of their hospitality and Ghanaians make no exception to this. Hospitality is the first thing you notice, when you arrive to Ghana. It can be noticed everywhere, especially when you are visiting somebody's home.

Food

Talking about hospitality easily turns to a discussion about food. I think that Ghanaian food is very good, although sometimes it might be a bit spicy. Be also prepared to eat with your hands, (it's very simple, when you learn the technique) but usually you can get a spoon or fork if you ask for that. When you have been a couple of weeks in Ghana you notice, that most of the foods are even easier to eat with your hand, for example Fufu, a traditional Ghanaian food, which looks and even tastes pretty much like a smashed potato, although it's far from it.

During my visit to Ghana I was staying in a family in the city of Kumasi near the place I was working in. The family was very nice and they helped me in everything that I needed help for. The Ghanaians are very friendly and you can expect of getting enough food no matter where your accommodation place is.

Placement

I was working at an orphanage, which was located in the village called Apire, at the outskirts of the city of Kumasi. There were about 25 children at the orphanage, aged between 1 and 17. Even since the car carrying me arrived there, I could feel that I'm welcomed. My work included playing with the children, helping with some construction work they were doing there and assisting with everything I could do. For everybody coming to volunteer I can say one advice: forget the things you thought you cannot do, you can learn them there! Just be open-minded and everything goes fine.

The organization staff

Love Volunteers' partner in Ghana doesn't have much personnel, but they are professionals in the work they are doing. They concentrate to the work and you can feel free to ask them about the things you don't know, or about the problems you might meet. You can trust that the organization helps you no matter what happens during your trip.

Response from Love Volunteers

Dear Lauri,
What an amazing account of your volunteering experience! This will be so helpful to others planning their volunteering abroad endeavor.
Volunteers like you are what makes our job worthwhile for all the people we strive to help.
The Team @ Love Volunteers

We are just a handful of passionate people working hard to help volunteers and local communities around the world. We don't have huge overheads - no company cars, no downtown office - we're just volunteers who thought we could do a better job. We work