Working with Children

Working with Children

Volunteers works at an orphanage where they help to take care of the kids. Volunteers working with children should be willing to give out their all including a big heart. Orphanage work is one which is fun rewarding and volunteers are able to access the impact they are making everyday.

Most of the orphanage homes are under resource, so in-kind donation including cloths, food, toys educational materials and sponsoring a child is very much appreciated.

• Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Program runs all year long and on any day
  • Weekend tour attractions to any part of Ghana
Year Round
Accra, Brong Ahafo, Cape Coast

Rayen
The Hague, The Netherlands

Planning to go abroad? Just do it!

If I had to describe my trip to Ghana in just 1 word. It would not be impossible. It was an amazing, interesting and very educative experience. I lived in Ghana for a half year because of my study. Besides my study, I participated with several projects set up by: Solutions for Life Initiative Ghana.

My first 2 weeks were in the capital of Ghana (Accra). This was the place where I got my culture shock moment. To be more specific at: Accra Central. I went here in the middle of the day and everywhere were people selling their merchandise. High populations of humans were roaming everywhere and even the streets where the cars need to drive was full with shops and people, leading to dangerous situations.

After these 2 weeks, I took a fight to Kumasi and lived with Sally, Nana and their kids. They were the best hosts I could get and they showed me the way the Ghanaian society works and how things roll around.
When in Kumasi, I enrolled in several activities set up by: Solutions For Life Initiative Ghana. One of these activities was the setup of a Christmas party for orphans in the region.
We arranged a moon bouncer and a trampoline for the kids to jump on. Further we arranged food, music, a make-up artist and taught them the importance of hygiene.
The kids enjoyed these activities and the happiness on their face will be something I will never forget. As being a foreign male at the party. I got a lot of questions and demonstrations from the boys about soccer. All the boys want to play one day at international levels and meet their idols.
Thanks to my hosts, I could connect to many local people and other travellers. With them I travelled outside Kumasi. Ghanaians are very social; it is easy to connect with them. I even had an opportunity to be live on the radio, just by meeting someone outside a store.
Ghana has some interesting landscapes. Going north of Kumasi you will find the savanna, going south you will reach the coastal regions.
Kumasi it self have the biggest market off whole West-Africa.

Ghana is a developing country. The gap between the higher society and the lower society is big. There are environmental problems and the medical situation can still need some help. With a population that is rapidly growing. These problems will only get bigger.
Solutions For Life Initiative Ghana is setting up projects and to tackle these problems. As being part of the team, you will see the positive changes you can make, in many people’s lives.

All in all, I can conclude I learned and helped a lot more people while being in the place it all happens.

ezra
België

Solutions For Life Initiative- Ghana

Volenteering with Solutions For Life Initiative- Ghana. Having spent 2 weeks in Kumasi, helping in a local orphanage (together with 2 friends). This was a great experience for me. Sally (someone of the program's staff) and her family/friends really helped us with everything! The kids of the orphanage were so thankfull! I would highly recommend this lifetime experience to everyone :) I don't think you can make big changes for the country, but at least you can help some individuals by helping them in the orphanage (e.g. studying, playing, teaching about hygiene, ...)

Jessica

Life changing experience

There are no words to describe how much volunteering with Solutions for Life has changed my life! The organisation is so supportive and helps you achieve all your goals while in Ghana, as well as before and after your visit.

The family I stayed with us become my new family, with amazing hospitality, so much love and acceptance and great food!

The orphanage I volunteered at, All Nations Charity Home, and all the children there have changed my life, the sweetest, most loving children in the world!!

100% recommend to anyone! I have volunteered with Solutions for Life twice, soon to be three times!

Romy
Ghent - Belgium

Volunteering at King Jesus Orphanage - Kumasi

Me and my 2 friends went volunteering at the King Jesus Orphanage in Kumasi in September 2016.
For me, it was my second time at this orphanage, so I was really excited to see all the kids back.
When we arrived the first day, we immediately received a hundred hugs from the little ones, which was the cutest thing ever!

Before we left Belgium, the three of us raised a lot of toys, clothes and other things to donate to the orphanage. We also organized a fundraising and were able to pay the schoolfees of some of the grownups. I can't even put out in words how thankful they were for our help! It is so rewarding to be able to help out with just doing small things!

During our stay, we lived with a host family, which is also a great experience. Personally, I have been volunteering before and the difference between staying with a local family or staying at a volunteers residence is huge! Would really recommend doing this!

Although as a volunteer, it is important to bare into mind that the actual impact you make is very small, I feel like it is still worth it. Being able to put a smile on those kids faces is so rewarding!

Shelley
Fenwick Island, DE, USA
University of Delaware

Unforgettable Memories

When people ask me how my trip was I tell them I really don't have words to describe it. From the tours by Samuel, Sally's liaison in Accra, to the children at the Cherubs Orphanage, and the unmeasurable hospitality the people provide, really was a life changing experience.

To start off, Samuel made me feel very safe and welcome, and urged me to ask questions, think critically about Ghanaian society, and compare the infrastructure to that of the US. I was fortunate enough to stay as a guest in his home in Accra which was amazing. Samuel is one of those people you meet in life that is so positive, and all around a great person that can make you smile. I got the chance to visit his office at the organization he works for.

Sally was always very communicative and helpful in terms of listening to feedback and taking action. I developed a bad sinus infection and had to go to the hospital and Sally called regularly to make sure I was okay. At first when I arrived at her home in Kumasi I was under the impression I was staying with her family, instead I stayed with the founders of the orphanage's family. The placement was amazing, I had a working shower and a sink, and even a fan in my room which is rare.

The children were the most memorable component for me, I still have dreams about them running up to me screaming my name and 'obruni' as I pass through the gate to the compound and tackling me. The amount of love and hunger for learning inspired me in more ways than I can describe. I will be back one day to adopt a child from this experience. Note: you may be placed in different places but if you can be placed in Kumasi with Cherubs DO IT!

Check out my video of the project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSdk6vaGsY&t=20s

More details provided of placement and program.

Nina

Amazing experience

It has been four years since I spent a month volunteering in the village of Domeabra with Solutions for Life Initiative-Ghana and I still think about my amazing experience regularly. I learned so much about the people and culture of Ghana during my time in Domeabra, made some amazing connections, and hopefully helped improve the lives of some children along the way. Not to mention the wonderful support I was given during my time there; Sally (and her husband Nana) were always there to help me with anything I needed, even welcoming me into their home on the weekends so I could visit and explore in the larger city of Kumasi. And my host mother, Anti Ama, and fellow Domeabra villagers were eager to assist me in any way they could. All around it was an incredible, life-changing experience!

More structure for what you would like the volunteer to accomplish while they are there that can be sustainably continued after they leave.

Solutions for Life Initiative Ghana is a grassroot organization, our volunteer and internship program is an initiative to help connect passionate individuals and groups who seek to make a difference in the life of people whiles discovering themselves to the very people whose lives and