- Live in a rainforest with wildlife around you!
- Hands on work with tropical wildlife like monkeys, jaguars and toucans.
- Wildlife releases throughout the year volunteers are invited to participate in.
- Immersion volunteering: live, eat and volunteer with your newest animal loving travel buddies.
- Interaction with captive breading species including ocelots, scarlet macaws and deer.
The wildlife of Guatemala is under threat from habitat loss, unsustainable hunting and capture for the illegal pet trade. The decline in local populations of wild animals is dramatic. The large flocks of scarlet macaws reported by early explorers have been reduced to just 300 birds in the Laguna del Tigre Park.
This wildlife rescue centre, initially built to rehabilitate wild animals confiscated on the black market by the Guatemalan government, was opened in response to the alarming disappearance of native species from the wild. The rescue centre is situated on 45 hectares of land on a lake in northern Guatemala and includes a quarantine area, a veterinary hospital, and rehabilitation facilities with a large flight cages throughout the jungle.
Our volunteers live in the jungle, making their commute to work beautiful but a little buggy! This meaningful and important experience doesn't just help the animals and educate the public, it changes your life!