Live Different Builds

Live Different Builds

Live Different has been working in Haiti since 2008. We love this place! In May 2010, we broke the ground for our school project in Calvaire, a small mountain village on the outskirts of Cap Haitien, snugged around vertical steps and steep paths. The community is deeply impoverished and plagued by illiteracy, so our school (which opened in 2011) has been embraced by the whole community, and in fact employs numerous community members.

Currently we have approximately 170 students at the school. Each year, we add another classroom, allowing for more students to receive the opportunity of education. We are always adding to this project and are excited to see how far it has come!

Each of our volunteers participate in building projects and spend time with local families in their daily routines.We also always make sure to take some time to celebrate the adventure and beauty of northern Haiti: the Citadel and Labadee Beach.
Volunteers fly into Puerto Plata and drive to our project.

North America » Haiti
Hotel
Includes: Ground Transportation, Meals, Accommodations, Interpreters, General Staff, Border Crossing, and all building materials needed.

Does not include Return flights to Puerto Plata, DR.
Emergency travel medical insurance.
Trip interruption and cancellation insurance.
Resort staff tip $30 - $40 USD (suggested amount).
Excursion Day to Haiti's historical fortress, the Citadel $45 USD.

Lisa
Calgary, Alberta

Haiti

I have traveled to Haiti twice with Live Different and both times I left a little more of my heart there. I honestly don't even know where to begin. How these trips made me feel is hard to put into words. I found myself feeling very overwhelmed at the desperate need in Haiti. Being a nurse I found myself constantly shocked at the health disparities present and the unfathomable conditions people are living in. I also couldn't help but think about all the seemingly simple "fixes" like basic health education or proper garbage disposal and how much of a difference these things would make yet how unattainable they are in these countries.

Doing the day in the life experiences was definitely a highlight for me. Being able to interact with the families and have them open up their homes to us was very humbling experience and one that I will cherish for years to come. Being able to make a meal with the families, clean their home, and even make the long arduous trek just to get water everyday had such an impact on me it is hard to put into words. To say that it was eye opening is an understatement. Getting home and being able to just turn a faucet and have all the clean water you could ever want in seconds really puts it all into perspective.

The Live Different staff are amazing and definitely help make the trips all that they can be. I never felt unsafe and always knew I could rely on them to ensure we had the best experience possible. The knowledge they have surrounding the country, it's poverty, and culture is vast and results in trip participants coming away with new insights and perspectives that will ultimately change and reshape how they see the world and how they can have a positive impact in changing the world in only the best ways.

More than anything I would have to say they interacting with the families and children of the community is what really made the trip for me. Seeing how happy and loving those kids are despite their shocking poverty and living conditions is beyond words. Goodbyes are usually hard for me but saying goodbye to these children, families and this country was one of the hardest goodbyes I've ever said. All I can hope is that it's not goodbye but "see you later".

Sarah
Newfoundland

Haiti

The most amazing part about the Haiti Build with Live Different is recess time with the kids. It can be extremely hot and you're exhausted from such hard manual labour, but the kids at the school come running out with such exhuberence. The excitement and they bring us like no other.
It's been so great to see the amazing progress LD has made with the school. Soon the children at the school will be less hungry and somehow have even more energy to spread to others.
The experience of bringing water back from the well is like no other. It's hard to put into words how it feels to see 4 year olds running past you with full buckets of water on their heads while struggling with part buckets.

I would have loved to spend an entire day learning about how families survive in the community near by. Half a day just isn't enough time to fully immerse yourself in the beautiful Hatian culture.

Live Different is a youth movement challenging ourselves and others to live a life that values people more than stuff. Through our high school motivational presentations in Canada and our humanitarian volunteer opportunities in Dominican Republic, Mexico, Haiti and Thailand, we work to make the