Volunteer teaching computer and IT skills for underprivileged in India

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Kenosis Foundation.

Learning computer skills is becoming increasingly important to enable students’ entry to further study and employment; keeping them up to date, in touch and involved, especially rural poor.

You as a volunteer will teach English, Computer, Typing and IT skills, CV and interview skills to students in schools and those underprivileged, unemployed, unskilled and drop-outs aspiring to get jobs. Work with students and underprivileged, who have little or no knowledge of computers – teaching things such as switching on the computer, using the mouse, managing different windows or word processing skills. For those students who already have some knowledge of computers – compliment their studies and teach intermediate skills such as internet, email, spread sheets, presentations, printing documents and how to connect with computer devices.

Volunteers will be placed in green, garden and silicon city of Bangalore urban and in the rural districts of Tamilnadu state, in the south part of India.

Robert

One month teaching in Bangalore

I came from the UK and volunteered with Kenosis Foundation for 1 month in Bangalore, India. I taught computer and life skills to disadvantaged young adults aged 18-25 years old. This included the basics of hardware, software, typing, Microsoft Office, security, and the internet. I also taught the students how to prepare their CV, and how to perform well in an interview. When I first arrived at the centre, there were some technical issues with three of the computers, but I was able to resolve these within the first day.

I enjoyed teaching the students, and they were all keen to learn during my lessons. This made delivering the content enjoyable. My biggest issue that I faced was the language barrier between me and some of the students. This meant I had to remember to speak more slowly and clearly. There was also usually another member of staff available to translate for me when necessary. I also had to learn how to plan and deliver lessons, as this was my first time teaching. On some days, the student attendance was poor, which was a little demotivating.

My living arrangement was with Issac, the founder of Kenosis Foundation, near to the teaching centre. His wife and daughter also lived at the house. The house was a little too small for 4 people, although I did get my own room. Laundry facilities were also lacking, and I had to wash all my clothing by hand. I was, however, provided with plentiful and delicious food throughout my stay. Issac’s only transportation was a motorcycle, which I wasn't particularly happy about, as the driving standard is very poor in India.

I feel that this program was very rewarding overall, and I would recommend it to other people who want to make a difference in India. Areas for improvement are the accommodation, transportation, and training before the project. I was given minimal training before I started, and I feel that some online training before I came to India would have been helpful. I was provided with some material to base my lessons on, and this was very useful.

Better transport

About Kenosis Foundation

Kenosis Foundation (KF) begun its mission in 2010 and established in late 2013 as a registered and not for profit trust ( NGO), have started intervention in selected poverty stricken pockets of India and brought about a significant change in the life...