Reforestation Volunteer Program in Southern India

Our main project is the reforestation of 70 acres of severely eroded land. We are working to re-create the Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest indigenous to our area. This forest type is found only in Southern India and Sri Lanka and provides a rare biological richness due to its very high species abundance (over 1000 species of trees, shrubbery and liana). The Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest is now close to total extinction as only 0.01% survives. This is a last moment effort to keep this very rich and beautiful forest on earth. As part of our reforestation effort we are also working on water conservation and soil management.

Our projects include the work with local children, hosting many groups of people interested in conservation, the UniverCity of Compassion and an animal sanctuary where we care for rescued animals.

• Reforestation
  • Water Conservation
  • Sustainable Living
  • Veganism & Vegan Cow Sanctuary
  • Community Life

Impact

We practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, alternative construction, solar energy, biodegradable toiletries, and compost toilets.

Volunteers mainly plant, mulch, and water trees during the season, work on water conservation in the forest and around the community, cook, clean, maintain the community area, and spend time with local and community kids.

Silke

Three life changing months

After three months at Sadhana Forest India I did not only feel home, I felt that I’ve arrived. I found out so many things about myself but also about India, planting trees, community life, compassion, animal care, ahimsa... Sadhana Forest is just amazing! They are growing a forest and a lot of people at the same time. The vegan food is so delicious and the spirit of this place is breathtaking. Thank you Sadhana for taking care of the planet.

By more volunteers and donations 😉
Cibin

A conscious living project!

If you are looking for a place to learn about reforestation and water conservation or a conscious living project to know more about recycling, reusing and reducing by conscious consumption of the natural resources available on the planet or to experience the compassionate and harmonious way of living in tune with nature or If you are really concerned about your environmental foot print on the planet, the wellbeing of every other beings and the future generations, this is right place to visit and stay! :)

Peter

A dream come true!

Being in Sadhana Forest is a dream coming true. This amazing community is a family of like minded people who together help out to bring an indigenous forest back and support a conscious, compassionate way of communal living!

Are you searching for a reforestation project and sustainable living community that gives you many opportunities to discover a vegan, conscious and compassionate lifestyle which includes nature, animals and humans? Sadhana Forest is the place for you!

With many more volunteers and helping hands!
Mike

Values in Action!

Sadhana Forest is a very special place where the founders, residents, volunteers, and guests all work together to practice a conscious and compassionate way of life. They plant trees, run a vegan kitchen, care for rescued and abandoned animals, use only solar power, live in natural buildings, showcase environmental documentaries, invite local children to learn and play, and so much more. It's a great place to learn about different options for eco-friendly living, to meet other volunteers from all around the world, and to give back to the local community. Highly recommended for everyone.

More volunteers!
Alice

Amazing!

Want to meet nice people, learn new things, eat delicious vegan meals and be close to the nature? You definitely have to go there!! I'm having a really nice time here and i'm learning a lot :-) we work 5 hours in the morning and in the afternoon we are free but sometimes there are workshops (méditation, yoga or whatever the volunteers propose) and you are free to go or not! Really Amazing and unique experience! Every thing is perfect :-)

I don't know
Van den Broeck
Gijs

Most beautiful place

This must definitely be one of the most special places I have visited in my life. I fell in love the moment I walked in. Tucked away in some huts in its (self planted) forest in rural India, lives a world wide community of volunteers, peacefully and harmoniously with each other and Mother Nature.
The vision of Sadhana Forest is a holistic one, much more than just planting trees, it tries to bring awareness to how we consume and our impact in all parts of life. This is not the theory, this is the practice. Here we realize we are part of nature and we can grow together with the forest. Moreover, you learn about veganism, natural learning, gift economy, permaculture and many more things!
It is part of the larger community of Auroville, a universal township for human unity and peace, founded 50 years ago, so there is always plenty of things to do and interesting people to meet.

Come and volunteer! They can use all they help they can get!
Guruprasad

community living

Living here in sadhana forest among individuals who come from different spheres all working for and towards the environment and having fun at the same time is amazing. Have been working in this afforestation project for a while now, in this beautiful community where we share many things such as culture, experiences in a compassionate way .
Glad to be here and volunteer at Sadhana forest, we have been through many eventful days, from waking up early morning to the wake up call- a guitar melody played by mithun and the dogs howling when we ring the bell at the morning circle. Waking to the symphony of birds, doing our community chores , discussions and debates in the main hut and of course cooking for self and the community.
life could not be more better than this. learning and growing with the forests and the people within!

Aiko
Aiko

Life changing experience!

If you want to do some voluntary work to help where it is needed - ecologically and socially - and are looking for an organization that is not profit orientated, which community is living VEGAN and eco-friendly, planting trees, educating on sustainability, encouraging compassion in all forms, enabling volunteers to discover different cultures in a safe environment, reducing waste wherever it's possible, supporting longterm instead of shortterm solutions and practicing an all-in-all conscious, natural and down to earth lifestyle – Sadhana Forest is the organization for you :)

This program can be improved by many more volunteers contributing with their individual spirits and serving this beautiful planet and its inhabitants in all shapes and forms :)

About Sadhana Forest

Sadhana Forest is an international vegan organization working on water conservation, indigenous reforestation and food security in India, Haiti and Kenya.