Jungle volunteer

mini orangutan in the tree
mini orangutan in the tree

Join one of our two volunteer groups in 2014, in the home of the orangutan, the Sabangau forest in Indonesian Borneo. Develop key biodiversity survey skills and connect with others.

Our two groups will run from 6 July - 24 August and 7 September - 25 October. Visit outrop.com/volunteer to apply.

The Orangutan Tropical Peatland Project is looking for volunteers to help with our conservation and research work in 2014. There will be two expedition groups in 2014, and spaces will fill quickly so make sure to get your application in soon (details on how to apply found below).

OuTrop is a research and conservation organisation based in the Sabangau forest in the heart of Indonesian Borneo, home to the world’s largest populations of orangutans and Southern Bornean gibbons.

Hugo

a fantastic experience in a fantastic environment

The volunteer program at OuTrop helped me realise that a career in research is what I want. The day to day activities were varied, interesting but more importantly biologically productive. As a volunteer you learn how research operates in a jungle environment and what needs to be done to effectively conserve both the forest and its wildlife.

All of this combined with the fact that running into orangutans and other wildlife becomes part of your daily routine makes this project a must for anyone interested in research.

Megan

Great Overall Experience

I found my time as a volunteer fun and informative. If you are interested in pursuing a career in fieldwork, it is a great way to gain some basic, firsthand experience. Also, the wildlife was incredible.

I wish I had been better prepared for what the "expeditions" entailed. I would have brought a few pieces of gear/supplies that I had opted not to bring to Borneo, if I had fully grasped what the expeditions were going to be like.
Rob

Scientific research combined with a great experience.

A great cause with amazing staff who's primary focus is on scientific research and teaching new skills instead of just pandering to all the needs of volunteers. You end up learning far more about conservation and field techniques than you would think and have an amazing time with interesting people in the process. A perfect organisation to volunteer with if you're interested in a career in conservation.

Location:
91 F / 75 F
Airports:
Soekarno–Hatta International Airport
( CGK )

Indonesia, the world's largest island country with over 17,000 islands, exudes diversity. Each island has a unique mixture of people, customs, food, and landscapes. If you are looking to experience an incredible rainforests, see some of the world's rarest animals, and learn about different cultures - Indonesia is the place for you.

About Orangutan Tropical Peatland Project

OuTrop is a research and conservation organisation based in the heart of Indonesian Borneo. We conduct research on three key primate species - orangutans, southern Bornean gibbons and red langur monkeys. Alongside this we undertake a range of other...