Volunteering in a WINS Learning Center

Volunteering in a WINS Learning Center

Our volunteers come from all over the world, are of all ages, but they do have some things in common: they are enthusiastic, love to work with children, are open and adaptive to other/new cultures, have good social skills, are independent, take responsibility and show initiative.

There are many different projects running in all Learning Centers, as long as your activities are in line with the WINS vision and goals, you can do whatever project you like or feel you are best at.

Our educational programs follow a curriculum, but are in an informal setting, with methods that are aimed at playing and learning. You will use the WINS curriculum, however you can also help the children in doing activities in matters that you are good at, e.g. photography, yoga, drawing, painting, sports, music, and anything that will enrich the children’s knowledge and skills.

Asia » Indonesia » Bali
Asia » Indonesia
Guesthouse
Included (check our website for details and recent prices):
-The Service and Registration fee
-Add-on Package

Not included (check our website for details and recent prices):
- Costs for extensions of the Social Cultural visa;

- Airfares and all transportation on Bali (except Pick-up from Airport);

- Costs for accommodation

- Personal expenses, food and drinks;

- Personal Insurances;

- Drop-off at airport or transport any other destination at end of your volunteering placement.

desiree
holland

beautifull

I really liked my experience. I was in Seraya far from the tourist centre. Wayan the manager is a very smart man and the children were so nice and enthousiastic. I really felt home and liked the family.

I wouldn't change anything but it is good to take initiative by yourself and have already some preparing before. Now there is internet but when I was there the internet was horrible. Do where you are good in at and combine this with english. There is in seraya not so much to do so it is good if you can make your day and enjoy the daily life there.

Ellen
Holland

My dream came true

I was staying 7 weeks as a volunteer in Bedulu; a village in the neighborhood of Ubud in Bali. I was volunteering at the Learning center Yayasan Widya Guna. On 11 march 2015 I was back in Holland after a short holiday of a week in Bali.
I am 64 years and I could stop working in october 2014 as a human resource manager in a big prison in Holland. I always had a dream to work as a volunteer after my retirement. So I started as a volunteer in a small village. In the morning I worked with disabled children and in the afternoon I was teaching a group of 15 years old girls photography.

The facilities for the disabled children are compared with Holland minimal. For instance they do not have a group of specialist like a psychologist who can help the staff with the treatment of the children.

In the morning the girls went to high school. I was deeply touched by the eager for knowledge for learning to take pictures. It's my hobby and they used my reflex camera. They made beautiful pictures for instance of portraits, the river and flowers. We also had a lot of fun. The girls really loved to make pictures of themselves. They also improved their English.

The personal introduction was very well organized. I learned a lot about the culture of Bali. VP International gives you the opportunity to use your skills and to do what you really like. That gives the best results for the children but also for yourself. I recommend VP International.

I would recommend to do volunteer work to everybody who wants to experience the culture of Bali. Bali feels very safe.

The volunteers who worked in the Learning Center in Bedulu came from 3 different organizations. It happens that there were to many volunteers.
More cooperation and more planning. Full is full.

Improve the treatment of the mentally and/or physically retarded children.

Philip
Sydney Australia
University of Sydney

My Stay in Samsaman

Hi my name is Philip, I’m from Australia. Only 67 years young. For the past month I have been volunteering at the Wins Foundation, Learning Centre in Samsaman, which is in the Western part of Bali, Indonesia. It’s about 20k’s North of Balian Beach.

My volunteering experience has been an absolutely exhilarating experience.
As a retired director of a construction company, I was looking for something rewarding, I found it!

While at Samsaman, I have been teaching the children English. The children range in age from eight to15 years old. Some speak English relatively well, some are absolute beginners. At first I was a bit nervous I admit. I have lectured adults before, but have little experience with children as young as some at the “Learning Centre”

However, they were really inspiring and it was an absolute pleasure being part of their lives. They gave my life; new energy and purpose, for this I am truly grateful.
My homestay at the centre was a big surprise, very comfortable, bed, and excellent bathroom facilities. Ketut ( the director of the centre) is an excellent cook, she also arranged a motor bike from the local bike shop.(make sure you take an International motorbike lic. with you)

Volunteering while you travel can be hugely rewarding. I would encourage you to find something that fits with your skills. Contact Antoinette and talk about your options. You don’t have to volunteer long term, like three months; you are able to stay for one month. I have found that every day I was learning more, connecting with the children. Give it a go and have fun!

What could be improved:
My stay with Wins Samsaman was pretty much what I expected, the promises Wins made
they kept. I enjoyed my experience and would gladly help out again. So no further comment
to make on this score.

VIP- International welcomes volunteers who have the desire to make a difference, and who want to do voluntary work in Indonesia.

If you, who have the passion, drive, enthusiasm and an open mind, and are eager to help the children in Indonesia build their own