Teach English in a Homestay in Italy for 1, 2 or 3 Months with Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel's Teach in a Homestay program in Italy offers you the opportunity to tutor your Italian host family in conversational English for 15 hours a week. The rest of the time is yours to explore the country and get an authentic experience of the Italian culture. Homestay placements are located throughout Italy and it is important to be flexible.

This is a volunteer teaching placement designed for deep cultural immersion and language exchange. Tutoring English in a homestay is ideal for adults hoping to get their feet wet in teaching, teachers planning to travel during their summer break, or travelers seeking to experience full cultural immersion while teaching English abroad on a longterm contract.

Program Fee in USD:
1 month: $1,510
2 months: $1,670
3 months: $1,820

Start dates occur every month, and applications must be submitted at least 8 weeks prior to desired start date.

• 15 hours per week teaching experience (the rest of the time is yours to explore!)
  • Single room accommodation with carefully screened host family accommodations and meals included in the program
  • Personal program manager will assist you before, during and after your program
  • Year round start dates to fit your schedule
  • 24-hour emergency support during your program

If you decide to teach to a host family, It is not necessary to have prior English experience. Most of the families want someone who can practice listening and speaking. That could be done spontaneously while performing daily tasks and doesn't require to follow a plan. However, If you are planning to teach in a school, I will recommend having some teaching experience or at least some knowledge...
Hi Neroli! This program is open to citizens of the EU, USA, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Canada who are native English speakers.

Ingrid

ingrid A Memorable Experience

I had a great time volunteering in a homestay in Italy. Being able to share the local culture, traditions, cuisine and believes was incredible. I was very lucky to match with three families who were happy to introduce me to their culture. I learned significant teaching skills and I gained valuable friends.
The program was very supportive by providing helpful information about my adjusting process with the families, for this reason, I truly recommend this program and I encourage many of you to take the leap.

Joyce

Roman Holiday

If you take into consideration that, barely a month after returning home after my three-month homestay in Rome, I've already let the program managers know that I'm reapplying to tutor in another family next January, it's pretty obvious that my review is going to be positive!

The Greenheart Team matched me with a warm and welcoming family on the outskirts of Rome. The WEP rep called regularly and met me for coffee a couple of times throughout the stay. In order to integrate more fully into local life, I asked for and was given the opportunity to collaborate with other ESL teachers in two very different high schools. Being centrally located in Rome allowed me to hop a train on the week-end to explore surrounding provinces, such as Campania, Abruzzo and Umbria.

Rome took a little getting used to, but after the third week, I was hooked, and by the end of the stay, I couldn't bear to leave.

I only have one regret: our neighborhood. It was too far from the city center to be able to take advantage of Rome in the evening and a bit too dodgy for coming home by bus after dark. Rome offers many cultural events in the evening that I was unable to take advantage of.

Jessica

Florence/Milan Experience

In Florence, my host family was very sweet and accommodating however they felt more of like a boarding house for multiple students. The language school was fun and that's where I met most of my friends.

In Milan, my host family was AMAZING, could not have asked for anything better.

My host family in Milan said they did not receive any money from the program. They fed me and took care of me so I started to wonder where my money went. I feel as though I paid a lot of money only to receive two certificates, I wish I could have gotten college credit or have paid less.
Response from Greenheart Travel

Hi Jessica! Thank you for taking the time to review our Language Exchange Homestay program in Italy. We're so happy to hear that you had a great time! We also want to address your concerns about the program fee.
Greenheart Travel is a non-profit organization but we do have to charge a program fee in order to cover the costs of running the program. The program fee covers the host family screening and placement process (finding a family, doing criminal record checks, reference checks, home visits, etc.), medical insurance and support staff both in the US and Italy.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] if you would like to discuss any further questions or concerns you had about your program.

About Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship...