Volunteer in Jamaica With Children and in the Community

Volunteer in Jamaica for the experience of a lifetime. There are Opportunities to make a difference, life changing experiences, and thrilling adventures. It is your chance to touch, feel and see the ‘Real Jamaica.’

New and Exciting Ways to Volunteer
Yes! We offer a variety of NEW AND EXCITING WAYS TO volunteer. You can teach in schools, be a Sports Coach, work in an orphanage, work with a building maintenance team, or help in a Community based Organization. These programs are suitable for students in college, high school, university, youth looking for work experience, individuals, and families seeking to bond and work together.

As you grow and develop during your volunteering trip you will feel like a bird which has just learned to fly as you will do things you’d never imagine yourself capable of.

Nicole

Jamaica Volunteer Services

If I could choose my favourite memory from this trip it would have to be going to the school and assisting in the kindergarten class. The kids were so cute and I had a great time there. I also was able to work in a children's' home (orphanage) and as someone who would like to be an international social worker in the future, the orphanage helped with figuring out if that's what I really want to do. Overall this trip was great, I got to meet so many new people, eat new foods and learn more about the Jamaican culture.

Zoe

Experience of a life time

My partner and I spent a short seven days at Smokey vale, experiencing real Jamaican food and culture.
The experience at the school and orphanage was second to none and we really felt valued and appreciated in both settings. We also chose to do the Dunn's River Falls excursion and this was an absolute highlight with the natural beauty and challenge of climbing the falls it was a stand out. Maureen and all the staff went above and beyond to help us and make us a part of their family. An incredible experience that we could not have had by ourselves in this fantastic country.
I would highly recommend this program to anyone wishing to volunteer and have a real feel for Jamaica.

This was the exact experience we were looking for!
Anna

Study Abroad Drexel

Coming in on the first day, I didn't really know what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised by how warm and welcoming everyone was. We were able to be with Maureen and her family as she celebrated a very significant milestone in her marriage and life. In America, people aren't like that so it was a nice change from where we're from. Right off the bat you know that Jamaica and more specifically this home is something special and I treasure and will remember my time her forever.

N/A
Natalie

Family Experience in Jamaica

My favorite part of the trip was interacting with the family and staff at the manor. Learning about their food, culture and experiences was the highlight of the trip. Specifically I was impressed at how they embraced us right from the beginning by inviting us to be a part of a family celebration. I felt taken care of and safe on all of our excursions and the staff kept a keen eye on us and made sure we learned as much about the culture as possible.

Aubrey

Aubrey Clemans Review

During this trip my group and I went to a primary school in Kingston. This was an amazing experience because it truly immersed us into the culture, as we are students ourselves. I was really cool to hang out with kids who don't really know anything else other than what they see, so when I walked into the room, one little girl said, "Are you okay?! you shouldn't be this white, you're too white!" She as never seen a Caucasian before. It was really interesting!

I would change the amount of travel time we put into the itinerary. We were often running late to places because we had not factored in time
Sonya

Jamaica Volunteer Program

Coming on a study abroad trip I wasn't sure where we would be staying and how we would culturally be immersed in the place we were in. The first day walking in and immediately trying new food that was apart of the cuisine and being surrounded by Jamaican people showed me that this experience would be more valuable to what I originally thought. Being able to share the celebration Maureen and her family had for her anniversary was very special and we got to see more of how social scenes are here and i got compare it to my family (indian) and to America as well.

I think leaving more time to just talk to the workers in the house instead of continuously being on the road would allow for more cultural immersion. Also I would have like to learn more about the dance and food.
Angelica

Drexel University-Study Abroad

My family is from Jamaica but I grew up in the United States and the purpose of taking this trip was to reconnect with my roots. I feel that this program gave me an authentic Jamaican experience and I feel that this program accurately portrays the Jamaican culture. I like that this program is a mix of work and play with volunteering at the school, visiting the beach, the resort, and the Blue Mountain coffee. I like how flexible the program was and that we were also able to socialize with the other guests staying here.

I would update the bathrooms slightly (something simple like a fresh coat of paint).
Morgan

Jamaica Volunteer Program

I chose to come on this trip because I thought it would be a great way to broaden my perspective of the business world. This trip definitely helped me achieve my goal. We had to opportunity to speak with Maureen Evans about her business. It was a great way to see how big of an impact tourism has in Jamaica. Also she presented us with a problem and asked us to come up with some solutions. Over this trip was a great learning experience.

My favorite experience on this trip was being able to volunteer at one of the local schools. It was a very fulfilling opportunity. The children were extremely welcoming and lovable. Making crafts with the children and being able to interact with them was awesome. I grew attached to the children in the short two hours we were with them. Overall, I highly recommend visiting a local school and experiencing the Jamaica culture through the eyes of the young children.

This program could be improved by teaching us more about the food.
Emily

Wonderful Experience

This is my first time doing a study abroad program in college and I had a fantastic experience. I learned a lot about the culture here, which was a goal for me because I love learning about different cultures. The food was really good, which is important to me because I am vegan so usually I have limited options. This was a nice break from the cold weather where I am from and I will definitely come back to Jamaica in the future.

Taking more time to go over the food options :)
Genna

One Love

I am blown away with the respect, care, and dedication the program has for making the volunteers comfortable. Everyone showed such love for me and I truly felt like an adopted family member. This trip was my first time travelling on my own and I felt I had my time and space for personal growth but appreciated the moments with the staff greatly. The connections here with everyone made this trip so much more special. I am truly grateful!

Maybe have an online page people can join to see who will be volunteering at the same time or for people to leave suggestions for others that are coming. It would be cool to see who, if any, would be around when you are.
Suggest unlocking your phone before coming and to get a sim card, Then you can get out and about on your own time if wanted. I should have done that and will next time.
Vasilis

Jamaica

We really enjoyed our stay here. It was a nice experience overall. The food was delicious as well. We visited beautiful places here in Jamaica, natural waterfalls and exotic beaches. I will always remember the excellent fish we ate at the Hell shire beach. It was a wonderful meal at a beautiful place.

Carrighan

Awesome and Rewarding Jamaican Experience!

I have been to Jamaica in the past for a vacation and was very eager to get back. Upon my arrival and our first few days here, I was pleasantly surprised to find this kind of trip differed greatly. With Jamaica Volunteer Programs, I was able to see the other and much more cultural side to Jamaica rather than the beautiful beaches that I got on the vacation. The staff here takes great pride in their roots and I was very appreciative of their efforts to allow us to be a part of it. We took hikes, tried authentic Jamaican food, and even drove all around the country for a glimpse at everything. The staff is very friendly, inviting, educated, and accommodating to more personal needs.

Maude

best experience of my life

Being 16, it was my first time travelling by myself and I would recommand it to anybody. I loved playing with the kids at the orphanage and it is always so surprising how they enjoy the smallest things in life that we take for granted. Also, I had two cooking classes with Louise and I will do the recipes back at home for sure. The food was so good. I loved my experience and I will do it again, no doubt.

Dervin

A must-do experience!!!

I knew I wanted to do a healthcare volunteer experience in Jamaica with my significant other. Eventually, I was deciding between Projects Abroad and Jamaica Volunteer Programs. After speaking with Ms. Maureen Evans, the owner of JVP, I knew this was the program for me! She was so friendly and she made it clear from the first moment we spoke that her staff would do everything they could to make us feel at home! Because it is a family run organization, they really know the island and I really got a cultural experience I feel that most other programs couldn't provide. Additionally, I believe when choosing international experiences, safety is a hands-down priority! JVP did a great job of allowing me to feel secure at all times.The property is located in Smokeyvale which is a relatively quiet and beautiful community in the hills. I stayed in a two-person accommodation which was connected to the Evans' house so I never felt alone. Several times, I even walked by myself to a little shack down the hill to buy myself a "bag juice"! Additionally, transportation is provided by the Evans' family to and from volunteer sites and cultural trips. In regards to my specific volunteer experience, I decided to do the psychology internship which was mainly set at Ferdie's house, an activity & rehabilitation house for those with mental disorders. On a daily basis I got to interact with individuals who suffered from schizoaffective disorder, autism, and much more. Not only were they clients but eventually they became my good friends as we went to the movies, played basketball, and had one-on-one counseling sessions.Although I may not have become an expert psychiatrist over the month, I can definitely say that working with clients really piqued my interest in psychology as I was reminded on how intricate the human mind really is! There is so much more that I can say about this program, but all in all I believe this a "Must-Do Experience" for anyone interested in volunteering in the country of Jamaica!

I wish there were more cultural excursion trips that were cheaper in price!
Meghan

Best experience of my life!

This past month was one of the best experiences I have ever had. I got to customize my own volunteer/internship program so I spent half my time at an orphanage and the other half of my time teaching at a school. I also spent two days a a psychiatric center which was a very eye-opening experience. On the weekends I went on different trips around the island with other volunteers so I feel like I really got to know island and was fully immersed in the culture. Some of my favorite trips were to Montego Bay, Dunn's River Falls, and the Blue Mountains.

The only thing I would change is that I wish I had the opportunity to go on more trips such as Reach Falls and the Portland highlights trip.

About Jamaica Volunteer Programs

We identify and offer programs where travellers can volunteer, intern or study abroad while immersing in the ‘Real’ Jamaican culture at affordable prices.

When you book with us you will be treated as if you are a relative visiting from overseas and...