Volunteering Abroad in Jamaica

Jamaica is a diverse destination that is perfect for travelers and volunteers. The island is known for its mesmerizing beaches, legendary music, delicious cuisine, and unique language. It’s also home to some of the friendliest people in the world. The moment you land in Jamaica, you’ll witness its diverse culture and beauty first-hand.

But Jamaica, like many other countries, struggles with poverty, unemployment, access to quality education, and healthcare. And so, volunteering in Jamaica offers the experience of a lifetime. With or projects in Childcare, Teaching, Sports Coaching, Environmental Conservation, Community Development, Women Empowerment, Agriculture, or Medicine and Healthcare, you make a difference where it really matters. And, you’ll do it all while savoring a new and refreshing way of life.

Volunteer in Jamaica today and help save the world.

• Gain invaluable life experiences when you volunteer in Jamaica and adapt to a new culture.
  • Indulge in an authentic Jamaican experience as you work with local people and communities.
  • Are you looking for sports coaching volunteer abroad opportunities? If your passion is coaching, then Jamaica is the place for you.
  • If you have a passion for women empowerment, human rights, and gender studies, then volunteering in Jamaica will provide opportunities to be a part of such global movements.
  • A drive through many Jamaican communities will show poor roads, dilapidated buildings, and peeling walls in need of re-painting. These problems offer great opportunities for the volunteer looking for international development work in communities.

Popular Programs

Childcare Volunteering

Make a difference in the lives of children living in Jamaica when you volunteer in underserved communities, kindergarten schools, children’s homes, and childcare centers. Help relieve overworked staff and enjoy one on one interactions with friendly children who rarely get the personal attention they need. You’ll even have the option to work with children with special needs like autism, learning challenges, or any physical disabilities.

Volunteer Teaching

Work with children in understaffed, overcrowded, and under-resourced public schools in Jamaica. Gain invaluable life experiences as you work alongside teachers to overcome challenges and provide personalized help to children who need the extra help as you engage in a cultural exchange like no other.

This project is closed for exams, Christmas break in December, Easter break in April, and the summer months in July & August.

medical & healthcare internships abroad

When you volunteer as a medical and health care intern in Jamaica, there are many ways you can make an impact in the country. Many Jamaicans depend on public hospitals, clinics, and health centers for health care. As a result, the health care systems are overburdened and under-resourced. As a volunteer, you’ll help to relieve some of the pressures of this system as you assist over-worked staff in providing essential services to citizens who need it.

volunteer sports coaching abroad

Jamaica is known worldwide for sports, particularly Track and Field. With champion athletes like Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man, and swim star Alia Atkinson, sports is a significant part of our culture. Many youths see it as a gateway to a brighter future, a way to rise above poverty. When you volunteer in Jamaica, you’ll coach and mentor many of these children who are eager to become the next sports star.

community development

Volunteer in Jamaica and impact the lives of locals when you help to rebuild underserved communities. Jamaica has many poor roads and untended buildings and so as a volunteer, you’ll play your part in the wider goal of repairing and building a better Jamaica for all citizens.

environmental volunteering

Are you passionate about the environment? Play your part in healing the earth when you help to preserve the unique flora and fauna in Jamaica. You’ll discover wildlife endemic to the island as you work on environmental projects or marine research that will make a real difference in the world.

women empowerment

Help to improve the rights of marginalized women when you volunteer in Jamaica with women empowerment organizations and NGOs initiatives. Many women suffer from domestic violence and abuse in Jamaica. When you work with these women, you’ll help them to build skills and empower them to change their lives.

agriculture

Volunteer with local farmers in Jamaica and participate in a cross-learning experience as you discover new agricultural procedures and how they are essential in the lives of people living in the tropics. Work with local farmers to plant crops like coffee, tomatoes, potatoes, vegetables, and fruits as you gain a greater appreciation for the environment.

• 9-10 rating 89.36%
  • 7-8 rating 10.64%
sarah

a lifetime experience

My time with Jamaica Volunteer Programs was outstanding and unforgettable. The whole organization of the program was reliable and uncomplicated. The Volunteer House is a beautiful clean place with a stunning view. I felt comfortable from the first day on! The provided food was fresh, healthy and delicious.
All members of the family are very caring, warm-hearted and always there when I had questions or needed any help. The internship itself was very interesting and there were many different opportunities to work with people in two different settings. I was able to make a lot of experiences that shape me both in my professional career and personally. Furthermore, I could explore the island with private guided tours which were absolutely amazing. I highly recommend this program and I definitely want to come back again!

Nicole

Jamaica Volunteer Services

If I could choose my favourite memory from this trip it would have to be going to the school and assisting in the kindergarten class. The kids were so cute and I had a great time there. I also was able to work in a children's' home (orphanage) and as someone who would like to be an international social worker in the future, the orphanage helped with figuring out if that's what I really want to do. Overall this trip was great, I got to meet so many new people, eat new foods and learn more about the Jamaican culture.

Zoe

Experience of a life time

My partner and I spent a short seven days at Smokey vale, experiencing real Jamaican food and culture.
The experience at the school and orphanage was second to none and we really felt valued and appreciated in both settings. We also chose to do the Dunn's River Falls excursion and this was an absolute highlight with the natural beauty and challenge of climbing the falls it was a stand out. Maureen and all the staff went above and beyond to help us and make us a part of their family. An incredible experience that we could not have had by ourselves in this fantastic country.
I would highly recommend this program to anyone wishing to volunteer and have a real feel for Jamaica.

This was the exact experience we were looking for!
Anna

Study Abroad Drexel

Coming in on the first day, I didn't really know what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised by how warm and welcoming everyone was. We were able to be with Maureen and her family as she celebrated a very significant milestone in her marriage and life. In America, people aren't like that so it was a nice change from where we're from. Right off the bat you know that Jamaica and more specifically this home is something special and I treasure and will remember my time her forever.

N/A
Natalie

Family Experience in Jamaica

My favorite part of the trip was interacting with the family and staff at the manor. Learning about their food, culture and experiences was the highlight of the trip. Specifically I was impressed at how they embraced us right from the beginning by inviting us to be a part of a family celebration. I felt taken care of and safe on all of our excursions and the staff kept a keen eye on us and made sure we learned as much about the culture as possible.

Aubrey

Aubrey Clemans Review

During this trip my group and I went to a primary school in Kingston. This was an amazing experience because it truly immersed us into the culture, as we are students ourselves. I was really cool to hang out with kids who don't really know anything else other than what they see, so when I walked into the room, one little girl said, "Are you okay?! you shouldn't be this white, you're too white!" She as never seen a Caucasian before. It was really interesting!

I would change the amount of travel time we put into the itinerary. We were often running late to places because we had not factored in time
Sonya

Jamaica Volunteer Program

Coming on a study abroad trip I wasn't sure where we would be staying and how we would culturally be immersed in the place we were in. The first day walking in and immediately trying new food that was apart of the cuisine and being surrounded by Jamaican people showed me that this experience would be more valuable to what I originally thought. Being able to share the celebration Maureen and her family had for her anniversary was very special and we got to see more of how social scenes are here and i got compare it to my family (indian) and to America as well.

I think leaving more time to just talk to the workers in the house instead of continuously being on the road would allow for more cultural immersion. Also I would have like to learn more about the dance and food.
Angelica

Drexel University-Study Abroad

My family is from Jamaica but I grew up in the United States and the purpose of taking this trip was to reconnect with my roots. I feel that this program gave me an authentic Jamaican experience and I feel that this program accurately portrays the Jamaican culture. I like that this program is a mix of work and play with volunteering at the school, visiting the beach, the resort, and the Blue Mountain coffee. I like how flexible the program was and that we were also able to socialize with the other guests staying here.

I would update the bathrooms slightly (something simple like a fresh coat of paint).