Agape Adventures: Teaching & Community Development

Agape Adventures: Teaching & Community Development

Agapé Adventures is an Irish organisation with a global heart! We have a wide range of projects in Ireland and around the world focusing on conservation, community development, sports coaching, education and more!

Here in Kenya we have an amazing project that will inspire you in so many ways. The school project, based in Kibera - Africa's largest urban slum - works hard to provide local orphaned children with support, education, fun and encouragement. The local volunteer team are dedicated to bringing joy and hope to these young lives, restoring that which has been lost through disease and poverty. Could you join this amazing team of gap year youth workers and use your skills to help bring laughter and learning to the children of Kibera?

Join us for 2 weeks, a month or more and see how amazing the community impact can be when people work together. Help support the teachers in lessons, run craft or sports activities and work with the teams as they support the local families.

Africa » Kenya » Nairobi
Africa » Kenya
You receive accommodation in a secure & safe homestay, all meals are provided, pre-departure training, local orientation, an in-depth welcome pack, clothing and 24/7 support

gemma
kibera, Kenya
Anglia Ruskin University

Kibera Teaching

I have been teaching in a primary school in Kibera for a month. The main thing is for volunteers to bring resources and fun things for the kids to do.
I have been staying with a host family and they have been most welcoming, even the teacher and staff at the school have taken me in as a member of staff, taking me to the markets and local sights.
The staff at Agape have been so good and organised right from the start where I made my initial inquiry. I have used another volunteer organisation for another trip and the comparison with Agape is so much more professional. I have had safety briefings and given many contacts here and back in the UK so have felt extremely supported.
When I had a problem it was delt with quickly and discreetly so as not to make me feel uncomfortable on the project and now everybody is happy.
Would definitely recommend Agape and this project as I felt I have actually made a difference and will continue to after my stay.

Just to make sure from day 1 there is something useful to do as felt a spare cog for a few days but this was because the school reopened.

Raymond
Harare, Zimbabwe (at moment)
University College Cork

Liked it

I enjoyed the experienced of going to the school everyday, I loved being with the children. The difficulty I had was that certain (charities) do not do as much as they should for the schools. There was a lot a things at the school which I felt the (charities) could have helped with. A lot of promises are made but never forfilled. Its heart breaking when you fundraise a lot of money thinking it for the good of the people you will be volunteering for, but in reality very little of it actually reaches the ground but instead is spent on administration costs. That was my only difficulty, otherwise everything else in accordance to (my) experience was well set up. I have plenty of highlights, I got to travel other parts of Kenyan and met a wide range of volunteers from different countries. Through them I was able to volunteer at two other places, one in Butere rural Kenya and at Rare Gem Talent school, a school for children with learning disability outside Nairobi.

More money should be paid by the charity to the people that hosted me because to my knowledge they were not getting what they deserved. Also more should be done for the school by the charity. When I was there all they had done for the school was to put a sink. They were in the process of making uniforms for all the children. I never followed it up after I left to see if they went through with it. And there should be more social events for volunteers to do when they are not in the school because it can get boring sitting around the host family home. I was lucky that I was a black volunteer and therefore could move around Kibera and Nairobi easiar without raising eyebrow. A white volunteer most of the time has to stay in the home.

Diarmaid
Ireland
University College Dublin

Kibera - 2012

From the moment I arrived I knew I wasn't in Kansas let alone Ireland anymore :-) Still though the culture shock wasn't overwhelming. I did have a very real sense that I was "different", especially when I picked out amongst the crowd to be officially welcomed at church on the first day. But any trepidation quickly disappeared over the coming days, with everyone I met being so friendly: from my host family, the school staffs, and of course the kids; the stars of the whole experience :-) Of course things are basic in Kibera but you soon get used to things like using a bucket instead of a tap; no doors on the buses (mutatus); and no rice krispies. Nairobi city centre is always there if you really need some semblance of "normality" like traffic lights and restaurants with a formal layout. They still have Sky sports out in the slum though :-) Saying that the school is not in slum-slum, that's where the real culture shock is, so be warned. The school is rightly the focus of the trip and the teachers are doing a wonderful job there. The kids are great and there are some little geniuses out there. I just hope I did them justice and my stay left some small mark to improve things for them.

It may be more beneficial if the program sought experts from certain fields to sent as volunteers. The teachers are more than capable of taking care of the kids. It is more the resources/equipment available to them and the school building itself which need to be worked upon. People such as teacher, a builder, or a computer expert might be more beneficial to them than a random volunteer.

Agapé Adventures is a respected not for profit organisation with it’s roots in Ireland and arms around the world!

We are a team of people who have many years experience of the volunteer, charity and expedition sectors and a passion to see both individuals &