Giraffe Conservation, Kenya

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Animal Experience International.

My little friend, Hassan the abandoned zebra being fed breakfast.
Mapping out the conservancy with some of the rangers!
Found this old girl by accident on an evening patrol!
The rift valley, where our project is located.
The rift valley, where our project is located.
volunteers in Kenya rehabilitate zebras
volunteers in Kenya rehabilitate zebras

Habitat destruction and poaching are huge threats to African wildlife. All animals need protection, but especially the elephant, leopard, impala, eland, jackal, warthog, hyena, and giraffe.

Through this organizational partnership, we combat these conservation issues through several diverse projects. This organization works in the field to monitor wildlife populations and poaching activity, dismantle snares and traps set by poachers and make improvements to the wildlife sanctuary. Their conservation efforts include forest preservation projects that aim to teach and educate people on the dangers of deforestation while providing better ways of acquiring fire wood. There are also educational initiatives involved that intend to reduce human-wildlife conflicts and how to control waste management, which ultimately benefit the wild animals.

Our volunteers also take part in the building and maintenance of fencing, watering holes and other infrastructure.

10% off African Wildlife Fees

Want to journey to southern Africa and help wild animals? Want to see antelope up close as you help with their feeding? Want to make breakfast for owls and dinner for baboons? Want to help improve the quality of life for servals in sanctuary?
We want you to do that, too. Apply to volunteer with us in Malawi before April 30th and we will give you 10% off your fees. Go for two weeks, go for two months, 10% off applies to all Malawi programs.

Thanks for your question! As far as I know it shouldn't be a problem to take your family to Kenya (I hope your boy likes adventure!) as long as you're able to get insured to travel and get all the appropriate vaccinations etc. before going. My only recommendation would be that since you're travelling with a younger child, you make sure that you ask for somewhere that he would be comfortable and...

Lauren

An Amazing Experience I'll Always Remember!

AEI is a wonderful company that runs amazing volunteer programs! I went on the Kenya 10-day group expedition and had an awesome time. Everyday was like a safari, driving around Soysambu Conservancy seeing all of the animals (zebras, giraffes, and so many more!). We truly made a difference in our de-snaring efforts, monitoring giraffes, and monitoring birds. We were very comfortable during our stay on the site and even had all of our meals cooked for us - we were well cared for! There were even some surprise experiences that were completely unforgettable, like sleeping in a treehouse, going on a night safari to find lions, and visiting the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Centre in Nairobi. We had a great balance of volunteering to help animals and wildlife, while exploring the natural beauty of Kenya. I'll remember this trip for the rest of my life, and I'm already looking on AEI's website to see where I can volunteer next! If you'd like to check out my full review with tons of photos, check out my blog: http://justinpluslauren.com/volunteering-in-kenya-for-anima…

Colin

Wildlife Conservation in Kenya

AEI are fantastic! When I signed up to go to Somali-Kenya for two months to learn about and participate in anti-poaching and long term conservation measures in rural tribal Africa they spared no effort throughout the entire planning process or time that I was there to make sure my stay was informative, comfortable, and fun! I was set up in a beautifully large tent with my own personal kitchen hut and toiletry facilities, the rangers I was working with were just a shout away from where I was staying, and I was kept in good supply of my own personal food and water, although I was also welcome to dine with the rangers at breakfast before we went out for morning patrol, lunch when we got back, and an evening meal after evening patrol, which was a nicety I whole-heartedly accepted. The rangers I was working with were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and felt safe, I have very fond memories of long talks into the night over a fire with some newly made very close friends who I will never forget! The AEI team did absolutely fabulously in setting up this experience for me and I strongly urge anybody who wants to break into the field of conservation ecological management to take a look at the long list of experiences that AEI offers, based on the trip I took they're all incredible!!

I can't think of a way that my experience could have been approved, but having said that I strongly urge future adventurers to make sure that the experience they choose is one they know they'll enjoy. Not everyone would be comfortable staying in a tent in the African bush for 2 months, and staying near to home or somewhere more comfortable on an AEI adventure can be just as rewarding and fun!
Read my full story

Jomo Kenyatta International
( NBO )
Moi International
( MBA )

Kenya is a middle income country, which often comes to a shock to tourists who expect to see a wildly impoverished and unruly country. Following their Independence from British colonial rule, many Kenyans started seeking business ventures alongside the growing tourism, which is even more present today. From the incredible wildlife on land and underwater, you will have a lot of activities that show you the natural beauty of Kenya.

Alumni Interviews

About Animal Experience International

We are a B Corp that provides safe, ethical and authentic animal volunteering. Everything is curated by us: travel and animal experts. Our commitment is to change the lives of AEI clients AND to change the lives of our placement partners. One of the...