Volunteer Programs in Kenya with African Impact

$250 OR £250 OFF

Volunteer or intern with us on selected projects in East and Southern Africa and receive a $250 or £250 discount off your project fee. Only available for those joining us during the remainder of 2018.

There’s still time to make this year count.

In Kenya’s native Swahili, the word ‘safari’ translates to ‘journey’ and this land - which inspired some of Ernest Hemingway’s greatest classics - is Africa’s quintessential safari destination. However, there’s more to see here than just the beautiful scenery – the country is rich in diverse cultures, sumptuous cuisine, as well as modern cities and bustling marketplaces. Kenya’s culture of respect will mark your trip.

Whether you join us in the wild plains of the world-famous Masai Mara National Reserve, or in the rolling hills of Limuru, you can pursue your passion for conservation, big cats, education or healthcare.

African Impact's Top Volunteer Programs in Kenya

• Big Cat Wildlife Research & Conservation, Maasai Mara: Big Cat volunteers support conservation efforts in the Naboisho Conservancy, which borders the Maasai Mara National Reserve. You will actively monitor big cats and other wildlife whilst conducting important research
  • Hospital and Clinic Medical Support, Limuru: Work alongside health professionals in hospitals and clinics, as well as offer healthcare advice in local schools
  • Teaching and Vulnerable Childcare, Limuru: Offer your teaching assistance to vulnerable children in the Limuru community of Kenya, many of whom are orphaned, affected by HIV/AIDS, or falling behind in their education
  • Expedition: Kenya – Teaching, Safari and Beach Adventure: Spend 2 weeks experiencing everything Kenya has to offer while giving back through education and learning about Swahili culture. Of course, a trip to Kenya is not complete without spotting lions and elephants in the world-famous Maasai Mara National Reserve, and discovering a slice of paradise at Diani Beach

Miroslav

Kenya - the dream

Going to Kenya was a dream come true. I had always wanted to engage with the local culture and African Impact was the one organisation that offered everything that I wanted all at once - true conservation, deep cultural involvement and fun moments.

I got to experience the most amazing things that the wildlife of Africa has to offer - I got the chance to watch football with Maasai warriors, I got the chance to play volleyball in the afternoon breaks with them every single day. I got to meet people whose kindness levels go beyond my imagination.

But this was only a fragment of the experience. In my time in Kenya, I got to finally see what real conservation looks like. Getting up early in the morning was so satisfying and rewarding and all the animals that we got to monitor were just breath-taking to watch. In the end of the day, as a volunteer, you really know that you have done something valuable.

In my time with African Impact, we also got to visit local schools and teach children about the importance of conservation and saving the different animals. At this point I realized that if not this generation, then maybe the next one will be the game-changer and be the difference that we all so desperately need in Africa right now.

As a result of my experience, importantly, one of my photos also made it to the BBC Wildlife Magazine (see attached) and I could have never imagined that happening as a result of my volunteer experience.

In any case, I only have good memories from my stay and I encourage anyone to go and dive into this crazy adventure that I will always remember!

Perhaps if the project runs every day and there is no weekend break (although it is understandable that all the staff need a rest)
Response from African Impact

Hey Miro,

Thank you very much for such an awesome review! We work hard to show our volunteers how beautiful Kenya is, and we're so happy to hear that this was reflected on your trip with us. Your photo is beautiful and congratulations for having it published!

The African Impact Team

James

One of the best experiences of my life

It has always been my dream to come to Africa and see the diverse wildlife. African Impact certainly helped that dream come true and more. I learned and saw so much as well as made plenty of new friends. It is also quite evident how the research one conducts here is making a difference in terms of conservation. The staff is also very helpful and supportive and they will answer any question that you might have.

The research program is certainly in need of new equipment such as computers. Some of the electronic devices used for research are quite out dated.
Response from African Impact

Hey James,

Thank you for this feedback. We're aware of the outdated equipment and do encourage our past volunteers to do some fundraising. Please do get in touch if you'd like to help out. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our project and that you have some new skills under your belt. Keep in touch!

The African Impact team

Rural and Rare

The GOOD and the not so BAD.

As far as good is concerned - it is beyond good actually. I have been volunteering for African Impact for 3 years consecutively. Each one in a different country and each one really different. In Kenya, the animals are so plentiful and the conservancy is a very beautiful place with many sitings. You can see all BIG 5 in one day and many more. There are 2 lions that have been collared this year so the telemetry is able to find them and follow the pride for maintaining data. The guides are very knowledgeable and the people very friendly. Elephant monitoring, big cat monitoring, conservancy work, education with the schools, women's empowerment group work, and wonderful opportunities to do side trips on weekends off. What could be better....the best of everything.

Bad would fall under the only thing that could even slightly be unfavorable for western cultured people. No flushing toilets, electricity off early at night, no internet or phones (sims available for purchase), and hot water only at 3pm - solar. So if you are not around for showers and need to take one at night, cold and dark. Bathrooms not that close to the rooms and headlamp is required. Animals do come very close to camp and kitchen has been raided by baboons while I was there.
In all honesty, this small BAD is all overcome as the big payoff is the wonderful animals and people.

NO CHOCOLATE.
NO COKES

Sacrifice is very small compared to the gains.
No one can ever be the same after this volunteering.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Rooms, kitchen (even though the food was very tasty), and outdoor sink (one communal for everyone, laundry and wash up)

About African Impact

African Impact pioneered responsible volunteer travel in Africa back in 2004 and have since grown into the largest provider of volunteer projects on the continent. Proudly African, they work hand-in-hand with local communities to establish, develop...