Volunteer with Low-Income Kids at NGO in Mexico - From $150 per week

El parque
Que chistoso! (How funny!)
Vamos a Jugar! (Let's play!)
A field trip to the park, enjoying the swings.
A sweet bond between teachers and their students.
The sweet girls from Casa de Los Angeles.

Welcome to Centro Infantil de los Angeles! We are a 501c(3) nonprofit providing free childcare and preschool education daily to low-income single mothers in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. Our services allow mothers and families to go to work and earn an income to provide for their children without having to worry about the cost or quality of childcare.

Our programs put kids on a path to long-term success by working with kids at critical development ages. We focus on preparing kids without means for primary school in terms of academics, social and emotional well-being, nutrition, and physical health. Our highly-integrated programs ensure kids are happy, healthy, and ready to take on the world.

Volunteers assist daycare teachers and preschool teachers with basic childcare and enrichment activities, working directly with children of different ages, feeding and changing them, engaging them in art projects and fun extracurricular classes, and assisting on field trips.

• Enjoy a completely immersive Spanish Language experience
  • Work directly with kids from 4 months to 5 years
  • Experience the amazing surroundings of Guanajuato afternoons and weekends
  • Stay in our beautiful, incredible, fully-equipped Volunteer House
  • Make a genuine difference in an impactful volunteer program

Yes, kids can volunteer. I think upper elementary school age (7+) would be best suited for the type of volunteer work at Centro Infantil de Los Angeles.

Diego

real little angels...

What a great experience to share a month with these children. I must say that CILA is doing a wonderful job and I am sure that they provide the essential foundation for all these children to move forward in life.
The activities are very varied, and the children are very comfortable with the volunteers. They are used to receiving people and this opens their acceptance of others which will be very useful for their future. I had a lot of good moments. Imagine how you can feel on a bad day, a few minutes later you enter to the room and 6 children (or even more) jump into your arms? pafff it’s magic, the bad mood of the day flies away.
We get attached to them very quickly, they have a lot of love to give and just need to receive the same. I congratulate all the staff for the excellent work they do and the organizers who make our visits possible. It is possible to come for a week but my recommendation would be to stay there for at least two weeks so that the experience is complete.

What was your funniest moment?
there are many funny moments. especially with children who stumble with certain words, I really enjoyed it a lot.
Clark

Can't beat this volunteering experience

This is a great volunteering experience - there's a reason I've returned every year for the last four years. I highly recommend this experience for anyone looking to make an impact and likes working with kids. You're not going to beat Centro Infantil de Los Angeles in terms of the quality of the volunteering experience, the location, and the price.

In terms of the volunteering, you'll work/play with kids between 1 and 4 years old at a day care. Each class has a maestra and you will be her assistant, doing things like cleaning, escorting kids to the bathroom, making photocopies, serving food, and changing the kids clothing at the end of the day. You do get a lot of time to play with the kids and at the end of the experience you will feel like you've made a difference in their lives.

The facility for volunteers to stay at is really nice. At most, it's three people per room (although I've never shared a room with more than one other person). The building is beautiful with nice common areas and a rooftop with a killer view. There is a daily cleaning service and they serve you two meals a day at the day care - all in all, a very good deal for the <$200 you pay per week.

San Miguel de Allende is an awesome town with a lot to do including hiking, day trips, hot springs, shopping, yoga, and walking around town. It's such a beautiful city - you've gotta see it! It's also relatively safe and has a great food scene.

When you put it all together, it is truly a great experience. I always miss it as soon as I am on my plane home and feel at home every time I return.

What was your funniest moment?
I wanted to change the order for my tacos and I said, quiero caminar mi orden instead of quiero cambiar mi orden. You had to be there:-)
Patrick

Outstanding Young Adult Service Opportunity!

For the past two years we have brought high school students to Centro Infantil to serve and work with children attending the day care for a period of one week to four weeks. We're an all-boy, rigorous college prep school from St. Louis, MO -- St. Louis University High School. Community Service is a major component of our curriculum and mission, and we serve those in need both locally and abroad. Having worked with numerous and worthwhile non-profit organizations over the years, Centro Infantil distinguishes itself from other organizations on several levels.

First, the organization of the Voulunteer Program is top notch. Centro Infantil has a full-time Volunteer Coordinator (Ryan) who dedicates himself to working with the volunteers on all levels. He helps set up the itinerary, provides us with a comprehensive volunteer manual, leads an entertaining and informative orientation, and offers many opportunities (some structured and some casual) for reflection about the work our students are doing, its value for the children and families they serve, and how it fits into a bigger picture of our societal needs.

Second, it's a wonderful experience for our students -- their interaction with the children is personal, consistent and enriching. Serving essentially as teacher aids, our students help feed, care for, play with and educate these children (from infants to nearing pre-school) on a daily basis. When not working with the children, they're doing a variety of projects from painting to cleaning or whatever manual labor is needed. They truly experience a wide range of service opportunities during their stay.

Third, Centro Infantil makes the logistics very convenient, safe and affordable. Volunteer housing (adjoining the day care facility) is provided at a very low cost, with a breakfast and lunch provided. San Miguel is a beautiful and safe city that is free of the concerns found in coastal and border towns. It's very comforting to know that I can send my students off to explore in small groups without having to worry about their safety. Ryan is also very helpful in providing options for dining, recreation and transportation.

I fully expect to bring more students to Centro Infantil in the future, and I would recommend this service opportunity for everyone.

Nothing! From initial contact to our departure from San Miguel, we found the entire experience very enriching!
Megan

Highly recommend!!

I have loved my time here at Centro Infantil de los Angeles! All staff and teachers are so kind and truly care for the students. The children are the sweetest and you can tell they really like it here. The children love to sing, dance, play on the playground, and get their hair done before they go home each day -- it is a really great environment for kids. The daycare is right next door to the volunteer house and all the volunteers and staff are very inviting, kind, and helpful, which has made my first time traveling abroad alone very comfortable. Plus it is absolutely beautiful here! Other volunteers and I are going on weekend trips to explore other cities in Mexico, but you don't ever have to leave San Miguel de Allende to see the beauty of the city. I would highly recommend Centro Infantil de los Angeles to anyone who loves kids, traveling, and living in beautiful places.

Bring gifts for the kids! I brought bubbles and it was so fun to watch them enjoy it and play with my favorite thing from when I was a kid:)
Luisa

Centro infantil de los ángeles

Volunteering at Centro infantil de los ángeles is so much fun.
The kids are always smiling and the look so happy all the time.
It is also a great place to meet new people to hang out with. You can go on a lot of weekendtrips at the weekend with the other volunteers and there is also a lot to discover in san miguel de allende after work. The volunteerhouse is real pretty and right next to the daycare so you do not need to walk far to get there. You are always free in the afternoons which gives you a lot of experience the City.
The teachers at the daycare are so sweet with the children and it is a lot of fun working with them and helping feeding the kids, brushing their hair and playing with them. Centro infantil de los ángeles is a really nice place to be!

Christian

Amazing stay

I went to centro de infantil with my girlfriend for 2 Month. We both really loved the stay and the Kids where amazing. The teachers at the school and the staff were amazing and they Are so sweet. We had an amazing time going to the city, visiting cafes and just wandering the beautiful streets. We Are planning a trip back in the future, so we can see everybody again and have such a great time once more. From the city, you can take the buses which were great to bigger cities that Are close or go for a weekend trip to Mexico city. Ryan was a great leader there and we spent a lot of time with him and had a great time with him. You just feel like you Are a part of a bug Family when you Are at the daycare. And just enjoy the kitchen staff, they Are the nicest People I have ever met!!
Just go on this trip, it is worth it!!

Just enjoy the trip, the time there goes too fast.
Michelle

Centro infantil de los ángeles

It feels amazing to be with the kids and witness how much of a difference the daycare makes to them. It's structured and the development of the kids is amazing to witness. It's organized in a great way with the mothers coming in and helping everyday, making the daycare possible. I was amazed at the thoughts that's been put into the development the kids go through, from potty training to preparing for school.
Furthermore, it's really nice to be with other volunteers that you can hang out with in the afternoons and travel with on weekends.
In general, the program is very good and recommendable if you love working with children and want to be part of giving them the best possible childhood that prepares them for a good education - and good life quality and happiness.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was surprised at how well-behaved the kids are, it's amazing how the teachers can handle a whole class themselves in the periods where there are no volunteers.
Jona

Casa de Los Angeles

I’m having so much fun volunteering at casa de Los Angeles. The teachers and staff are all so sweet and so welcoming. The children are so precious and it’s been so much fun to connect with them during the week. I’m amazed at the children’s independence at such young ages; it really shows how well the program is structured and shows the teachers persistence in providing the best care and education for the kids. The food provided is top of the line and I haven’t tasted a bad meal. They care about nutrition which is the ground work for the children’s success in the classrooms. They clothe, clean and do the children’s hair everyday before the children leave because when you look good you feel good. I think it’s important for these children to get that sense of self esteem and go home feeling happy. They send the children home with full bellies, minds and hearts. Such a fantastic program.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do this all over again, I would definitely stay for a longer amount of time. I’m having so much fun, six weeks just won’t be long enough.
Svea

Incredible experience!

I had an amazing experience in this volunteer program. I was given the opportunity to connect with kids and to provide them with more care. The program is excellent for people who want to make an impact on a child’s life. The program is organized. The volunteer coordinator made sure that I felt welcome in the volunteer house and during work. I felt very welcome in the daycare during the entirety of my stay. The teachers in the daycare make an effort to make sure you understand what you are supposed to do. It was amazing to see how much more kids can grow in an environment full of love and respect. The kids make the experience unforgettable. The opportunity to be able to work with such amazing people to help others is priceless. I highly recommend this experience.

Be open and positive! Connect with the kids. Learn about San Miguel before you come.
Hayden

The best volunteer experience in Mexico!

I've volunteered at Centro Infantil de Los Angeles three times and plan to come back many more! The program is well-organized and working with the kids is an amazing experience. The kids are loving and kind and want to be your friend immediately.

This organization has had a huge impact on the community of San Miguel de Allende, which is evident when you're walking around the town and see one of the mothers, teachers or children. The program makes you feel like you really are connected to these people and their pueblo.

The volunteer house is beautiful, spacious, and has a great view of the city! San Miguel de Allende is an awesome location with lots to see and explore. This is 100% one of the best volunteer experiences you could have.

Esther

Wonderful voluntereering experience

I had a very good experience with Casa de los Angeles in July 2015. Everything is well organized and what you do is very concrete. I felt useful working at the daycare and supporting the staff. A lot of support from the organization and an intense language immersion! A nice city with a lot of things to do. I will definitely go back. I am strongly recommending this organization for volunteering. Young or not, by yourself, with family members or friends, this is the perfect place to volunteer.

Kara

My time with Casa de Los Angeles----Mi tiempo con Casa de Los Angeles

I spent 3 months volunteering with Casa de Los Angeles this summer 2015. My motivation to live in Mexico was originally for immersion purposes. I wanted to improve my Spanish skills, but I had no idea just how much working with Casa would change my life. The opportunity to work with underprivileged children broadened my perspective, allowed me to appreciate and be a part of a new culture and spend time playing, laughing and loving those kids!! Not only is the staff at Casa welcoming but I grew to think of each and every one of them as a friend. Their passion for their career at Casa is obvious, and they grow to care for and love each little nino/a that comes through those doors. Not only did I meet and befriend natives of San Miguel/Mexico, but being a part of this organization allowed me to encounter other like-minded volunteers willing to give their time from all over the world. From ages 12-65, I met people in all different walks of life from various countries, and made friends who I continue to be in contact with today. We share a bond, an experience working with those children. An experience that truly opened my eyes and allowed my mind to understand the joy that comes with helping and working with children! Based on my time at Casa, I would absolutely work as a volunteer again.

San Miguel de Allende is a beautiful, colonial city that offers various events all over the city. From outdoor markets selling fresh food and flowers, to handmade goods and wares made by local artisans in front of your eyes to outdoor concerts, classes and community events---San Miguel has it all. The people are so amiable and while the town was busy and bustling, I felt a slower daily rhythm that creates such a relaxed atmosphere. While I used common sense traveling throughout Mexico, San Miguel really fosters a safe environment within the community. I did not feel the least bit scared at any point in time.

I cannot wait to return to Casa this December 2015 to visit the people who have become like a second family to me.

I would foster more spanish speaking within the volunteer house to those who are interested.
Chu

Learn and enjoy with CASA

it's such a wonderful organization which I had my first formal internship in the summer of 2015. I am really glad to have the chance to gain practical experience working with young kids since I learned early childhood and family studies in college. Also I study Spanish too, so Mexico is a perfect option. The culture, the people everything here are so nice. the kids are really cute and adorable, you would love them. I strongly recommend this place to everyone, you will never regret to come!

Jessica

Experience, connect, fall in love!

Casa is such a wonderful place and it serves as an incredible value to the community of San Miguel de Allende. All the people involved in the organization are kind, friendly, and passionate about the children and families that they serve. It was such a cool experience getting involved and learning about this place. It is hard to describe the feeling being there each day seeing, hearing, and feeling the love and compassion shared at Casa. They even serve some children from local orphanages.Their mission is to help the families to help themselves. Great things are happening there. I would totally recommend that others learn about it, give to the cause, or even better, go and volunteer! I hope to go back some day!

It is hard to find something that I think should be improved. This organization has been around long enough to figure out what works best and it runs itself very smoothly.
Nina

Casa de los Angeles

Casa is a truly Nice place. To see the happy kids, and the even happier moms when they come to the daycare. They have a place where their kids are safe, and can be kids. In the park, at the playground or in the classrooms.
The teachers are so patient even when you Can see that a volunteer almost have given up, the teachers are Always there!
The fact that every Day is special is Amazing. That some days are park days, some days are for dancing and a Day for honoring the flag. My personal favorite was wedensdays with the songs, the kids were either laugning or concetrating on remembering the songs, and when they get to pick the song or when you finally found put what the song was about, it is truly Amazing!
I would highly recomend this place and San Miguel is and Amazing, beautiful and safe City to be in. So that casa is located here, is even better. The staff, the teachers, the kids, the moms and the other volunteers, truly makes it a good experience!

Location:
Jul-Sep
73 F / 54 F
Oct-Dec
72 F / 45 F

Guanajuato is known as the place of frogs. Guanajuato was first popularized after silver veining was found in the areas, which have since become a UNESCO world heritage site. This charming city is small enough to be discovered completely on foot.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Centro Infantil de Los Angeles

Centro Infantil de los Angeles, in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, is a community of caring people who gather to nurture children, serving the needs of the less fortunate, treating each person with dignity and respect as they work to make...