Centro Infantil de los Angeles Community Center & Daycare in Mexico

Centro Infantil de los Angeles is a community of caring people who gather to nurture children, serving the needs of the less fortunate, treating each person with dignity and respect as they work to make a better life for themselves. It began as a free daycare center in the heart of San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato on September 18, 2000. It is a safe haven for the children of mothers who come from the outskirts of town to work or to sell their wares at the local mercado. Often these children were being left home alone before this center was established.

Centro Infantil de los Angeles has grown to be a community center in which mothers find the support they need to make a better life for their families. Besides help with their children, these families receive medical care, clothing distribution, scholarship opportunities, transitional housing, summer camp, food bank . . . all done in a relationship of mutuality that respects the dignity of each individual.

• Working with young children

Yes, kids can volunteer. I think upper elementary school age (7+) would be best suited for the type of volunteer work at Centro Infantil de Los Angeles.

Esther

Wonderful voluntereering experience

I had a very good experience with Casa de los Angeles in July 2015. Everything is well organized and what you do is very concrete. I felt useful working at the daycare and supporting the staff. A lot of support from the organization and an intense language immersion! A nice city with a lot of things to do. I will definitely go back. I am strongly recommending this organization for volunteering. Young or not, by yourself, with family members or friends, this is the perfect place to volunteer.

Kara

My time with Casa de Los Angeles----Mi tiempo con Casa de Los Angeles

I spent 3 months volunteering with Casa de Los Angeles this summer 2015. My motivation to live in Mexico was originally for immersion purposes. I wanted to improve my Spanish skills, but I had no idea just how much working with Casa would change my life. The opportunity to work with underprivileged children broadened my perspective, allowed me to appreciate and be a part of a new culture and spend time playing, laughing and loving those kids!! Not only is the staff at Casa welcoming but I grew to think of each and every one of them as a friend. Their passion for their career at Casa is obvious, and they grow to care for and love each little nino/a that comes through those doors. Not only did I meet and befriend natives of San Miguel/Mexico, but being a part of this organization allowed me to encounter other like-minded volunteers willing to give their time from all over the world. From ages 12-65, I met people in all different walks of life from various countries, and made friends who I continue to be in contact with today. We share a bond, an experience working with those children. An experience that truly opened my eyes and allowed my mind to understand the joy that comes with helping and working with children! Based on my time at Casa, I would absolutely work as a volunteer again.

San Miguel de Allende is a beautiful, colonial city that offers various events all over the city. From outdoor markets selling fresh food and flowers, to handmade goods and wares made by local artisans in front of your eyes to outdoor concerts, classes and community events---San Miguel has it all. The people are so amiable and while the town was busy and bustling, I felt a slower daily rhythm that creates such a relaxed atmosphere. While I used common sense traveling throughout Mexico, San Miguel really fosters a safe environment within the community. I did not feel the least bit scared at any point in time.

I cannot wait to return to Casa this December 2015 to visit the people who have become like a second family to me.

I would foster more spanish speaking within the volunteer house to those who are interested.
Chu

Learn and enjoy with CASA

it's such a wonderful organization which I had my first formal internship in the summer of 2015. I am really glad to have the chance to gain practical experience working with young kids since I learned early childhood and family studies in college. Also I study Spanish too, so Mexico is a perfect option. The culture, the people everything here are so nice. the kids are really cute and adorable, you would love them. I strongly recommend this place to everyone, you will never regret to come!

Jessica

Experience, connect, fall in love!

Casa is such a wonderful place and it serves as an incredible value to the community of San Miguel de Allende. All the people involved in the organization are kind, friendly, and passionate about the children and families that they serve. It was such a cool experience getting involved and learning about this place. It is hard to describe the feeling being there each day seeing, hearing, and feeling the love and compassion shared at Casa. They even serve some children from local orphanages.Their mission is to help the families to help themselves. Great things are happening there. I would totally recommend that others learn about it, give to the cause, or even better, go and volunteer! I hope to go back some day!

It is hard to find something that I think should be improved. This organization has been around long enough to figure out what works best and it runs itself very smoothly.
Nina

Casa de los Angeles

Casa is a truly Nice place. To see the happy kids, and the even happier moms when they come to the daycare. They have a place where their kids are safe, and can be kids. In the park, at the playground or in the classrooms.
The teachers are so patient even when you Can see that a volunteer almost have given up, the teachers are Always there!
The fact that every Day is special is Amazing. That some days are park days, some days are for dancing and a Day for honoring the flag. My personal favorite was wedensdays with the songs, the kids were either laugning or concetrating on remembering the songs, and when they get to pick the song or when you finally found put what the song was about, it is truly Amazing!
I would highly recomend this place and San Miguel is and Amazing, beautiful and safe City to be in. So that casa is located here, is even better. The staff, the teachers, the kids, the moms and the other volunteers, truly makes it a good experience!

Sandra

Casa provides a welcoming center for the families it helps & the volunteers it hosts.

I visited San Miguel de Allende, a beautiful colonial town in Mexico to volunteer with Casa de Los Angles. Casa is an organization that provides free daycare and meals for children of single mothers and also to some poverty stricken families. During my time there, I assisted the teachers of the daycare with meals, playtime, lessons and field trips. The teachers are loving and so concerned with the children's well being. The experience was very rewarding, made it so hard to leave when my two months came to an end.

The volunteer home had a few issues when it rained, but a new volunteer home is being built so that should not be a concern for too much longer.
Krista

Excellent Experience

Casa de Los Angeles is the best-run small nonprofit I've encountered. Its impact on the community is profound, with a grassroots, genuine, organized, and authentic approach. Donna, the founder, is happy to meet up, whether discussing approaches to nonprofits and answering questions or simply hanging out with volunteers; so much to learn from her and everyone else. Accommodations are clean and the volunteer house is spacious with a nice, friendly vibe. I felt safe the whole time. I loved working with the children. It's a wonderful feeling to be apart of something that truly, humbly supports its community.

Chelsea

In LOVE with this Community

I have never volunteered with such a positive and family like community. The children, teachers, and staff were all so happy,energetic and helpful. This opportunity not only builds up the community, but also helps build up individuals. I am very glad that I choose to volunteer here at Casa de Los Angeles. The experience taught me about volunteering, other cultures, and about the Mexican dialect of Spanish. Volunteering here did not feel like work at all. I just had a blast playing with the children! I hope I will have another opportunity to volunteer here in the future.

I honestly have no idea what I would change about this program. I had a fantastic time and can't think of one negative aspect about my time here.
Kate

Volunteering in San Miguel

I had a great time volunteering in San Miguel. The staff are helpful even when I was sick and I really enjoyed the day to day activities at the centre! The community itself is very accustomed to westerners therefore it super easy to get the things you need and want to remind you of home. I highly recommend getting out of San Miguel to see more of Mexico as it is a phenomenal country!

Dianne

Older volunteer had great time at Casa.

Ok I'm not that old...in my 50's...and this was a great volunteer experience. I came for a few weeks to visit my daughter who was volunteering for a few months.

I was very impressed with the mission and the execution. The children are well cared for while their moms work. The moms are helped and guided, not getting a handout. This helps empower both generations to value education and perseverance.

I continue to support financially until I can come back for a longer stay.

The volunteer accommodations are wonderful and the sharing of meals make this great for a solo volunteer or a group.

I wish I had learned more Spanish.
Maree

Great experience!!

My experience at Casa de Los Angeles Community Centre was fantastic. It really opened my eyes to the work that people can do for others, and how sharing knowledge, skills and love is so important. I was only there for a short time, however, it was truly enriching. The founder, Donna, is a very inspirational women, full of wisdom and love. At the time, there was a great group of volunteers from America and Australia, and we were able to spend time together and get to know each other and learn from our experiences.

The day care centre has many classrooms, all different ages. During my time, I assisted the teachers in classes, learning activities and at meal times. Meal times were my favourite, as it was a chance to bond with the staff and children. They are so adorable, you will fall in love as soon as you meet them! The school itself is so well maintained and colourful just like the staff. They are lovely and open their arms to volunteers.

The volunteer house is so great! It has a great open kitchen and a large living area which is colourful and clean and has everything you need. There is a large open outdoor area where you can play ball or sun bake with a book.

San Miguel is a bright, captivating city full of culture. I was there in November and there were two fiestas in two weeks! Amazing. A great way to taste the local culture!

I would recommend basic and if possible intermediate Spanish language skills to ensure your time is valuable to both the staff and children. I would also recommend bringing small stationary and gifts from your country of origin to share with the children.

I was there in 2012, so I am sure things have changed. However, I would suggest more educational programs of different topics - for example, healthy eating. As a dietitian, I feel this would be important and it would be great as there is a kitchen on site. It would be a good opportunity for staff to be involved in healthy eating practices and teach the older children this too to share with their families.

As there are volunteers from all different professional / education backgrounds, I am sure there would be other valuable programs volunteers could run. It would empower the volunteer even more, and it would expand the skills and knowledge of the organisation
Lindsey

Best experience of my life!

The days start with dancing and singing by the kids, too cute! I loved taking them to the park and watching them learn during their lessons. The teachers are very helpful and kind and SO good with the kids. The town is so beautiful and the people are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. The directors of the organization were there to help every morning and the volunteers I met and lived with were AMAZING. I have never been around so many people with such big hearts and I can't wait to return. I highly recommend Casa de Los Angeles. :)

If I had to change anything I would get better toys as many of them are old or broken. Other than that tiny thing, there is nothing else I would change. Donations are needed.
Klara

Amazing experience.

I've gone two summers in a row because this is such a great program- and opportunity! Most volunteer experiences expect a huge payment- this is affordable and really great housing! The guest house is beautiful and so fun to be with a fun mix of volunteers from all over the world. Breakfast and lunch are included everyday- and are delicious homemade Mexican meals by the cook, Anna, who is fantastic!
Time with the kids is the best part- great chance to practice Spanish, play with the most energetic, fun, positive group of kids. It's obvious how safe each child feels there.

More concrete activities/plans/lessons to complete with the children. A lot of the time is just spent watching movies.
Kathleen

Two Great Weeks at Casa

I spent 2 weeks volunteering at Casa. Staying in the volunteer house was a great opportunity to meet others from all over the world and build a sense of community between the volunteers - especially as I traveled by myself. Every morning the volunteer coordinator would walk with us to the site where we went to our classrooms and our kids. There were options for the age group we liked, and the assignments changed each week. There were lots of parties and celebrations with the kids which really welcomed us into the Mexican culture .We worked alongside the parents, local teachers, and the founder of the charity (Donna). There were homemade meals and snacks provided for us during the day made by the parents.
After the day with the kids, around 3:00 we had the afternoons to spend in beautiful San Miguel. There are lots of cafe's, artisan shops, hiking, culture, restaurants/bars, and parks. Every day Donna was sure to welcome us, let us know how happy she was that we were there to help, and she invited us to a dinner at her home.

It would be great to have more safe outdoor space nearby to take the kids during the day.
Elio

A life changing month.

I absolutely loved everything about Casa de los Angeles. The children, the mothers, staff, and the teachers made my experience a life changing one. I was always looking forward to the next day but dreading the day that I would depart. You learn so much from these beautiful people. Each day I felt so blessed and privileged to be working with such a wonderful organization.

About Centro Infantil de Los Angeles

Centro Infantil de los Angeles, in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, is a community of caring people who gather to nurture children, serving the needs of the less fortunate, treating each person with dignity and respect as they work to make...