Meet and Teach the Future Leaders of Mexico. Volunteer!

Meet and Teach the Future Leaders of Mexico. Volunteer!

Experience Mexico as a "non-tourist" - for one to two weeks. Volunteers practice English in small groups with college students. The purpose is on for the students to learn conversational English, not grammar, so virtually anyone can be of service. Each class follows a syllabus and uses texts which guide the volunteers through daily lessons. Team members often add examples from their personal lives to liven up the conversations.

As with all Global Volunteers' English conversation classes, each volunteer instructs a class for four to six hours a day, and has the rest of the day to get ready for class and team meetings. Plenty of time is available to explore cultural and educational landmarks in the host community.

North America » Mexico
Year Round
Hotel
Global Volunteers tax-deductible Mexico program fee starts at $2,495. The fee includes all meals, accommodations, airport transportation, transportation within volunteer projects, project costs, administrative expenses, and support from Global Volunteers staff. Discounts are also available for students, family and multi-person groups, and returning volunteers. Free-time activities, airfare, or other travel are not included in the fees.
Querétaro

Pamela
Irvine California

Conversational English in Queretaro Mexico

I am a volunteer team leader for Global Volunteers. I have lead in Queretaro more than 8 times. I continue to return to Mexcio because I am committed to the philosphy of the organization which is to build relationships ...one person at a time. We teach conversatinal English with students at UTEQ....a technical university in Queretaro. The students hope to find employment in industry in the Queretaro area and they know that being able to speak English will be a bonus on their resumes and in their interviews. Many of the students have never spoken with a native speaker...until they meet the volunteers. The students gain confidence when they realize the volunteers understand them and that the volunteers are not their to evaluate them but rather...to encourage them. The students are very enthusiastic and often build long term friendships with the volunteers they work with. Queretaro is an "alive" city with many interesting and exciting things to do during the day/evening and of course the weekends. The restaurants are an adventure to tempt the taste buds of everyone. As a team leader I have built wonderful friendships with the team members....many who return year after year....to see "their students" and the staff at the university. Our host says she believes the success of her English department and the success of the students weighs heavily on their interaction with the volunteers. I am always excited when I receive an email from a former student who says "I DID IT" ....meaning....they got their first job after college....and they "did it" in English.

Pat-ti
Long Beach
Small Group (1-15)

Learning is reciprocal

I wish all Americans could spend 2 weeks with the university students in Queretero ..... the school is more comparable to our junior colleges with students studying computer programing, marketing, business, etc. All recognize the need to know English; it is seen as a condition of employment and advancement. Many of our stereotypes are dispelled as see the long hours the students work/study, the number of global companies located in the city, the safety of city that allows night time visits to the plaza for music and coffee, or a performance at their concert hall. The people are embracing and eager to know us Norte Americanos - and our language.

Gary
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Global Volunteers' Dolores Hidalgo and Querétaro Programs

Having done both the Dolores Hidalgo and Querétaro programs I highly recommend both. I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences at U.T.N.G. in Dolores Hidalgo and U.T.E.Q. in Querétaro. The staff and especially the students at both locations were wonderful. It was so easy to get hooked into teaching English to these students. They are extremely charming, appreciative, and warm. The G.V. team leaders that I had were always very knowledgeable and supportive. I've made serious friends both American and Mexican through my G.V. experiences in Mexico. The history and culture of the state of Guanajuato where both Dolores Hidalgo and Querétaro are located are truly fascinating. The opportunities to explore the surrounding areas such as the city of Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Peña de Bernal, and Minerales de Pozos on the free weekend are truly wonderful.

Laura
San Francisco

Mexico program - a positive, unforgettable experience

Although the program I participated in in the late '90's was based in Guanajuato, I see that many elements of the current program are similar. I very much enjoyed being a "conversation partner' with a small group of students, rather than being a classroom teacher. My conversations with the students put a real human face on a country I was eager to get to know better. The length of time in the classroom (4-6 hours daily) allowed us plenty of time to see the local sights, and prepare for the next day's lessons. The volunteers enjoyed a group excursion to San Miguel de Allende during the weekend between teaching weeks. The folks at the university, and in town, were very hospitable. My fellow volunteers were very compatible.

Lifelonglearner
Minneapolis
University of Minnesota

Global Volunteers - Volunteer Teaching Programs in Mexico

Dolores Hidalgo is a very calm worksite. The Teachers at the Technical School were very friendly and appreciate of our efforts with their students. At first, the students are very shy and really hang back from using their English. But after a bit, they wade in and give it a try. Some teachers had lessons they wanted the volunteers to use. A few wanted the volunteers to "go it alone." The students are extremely polite and respectful. Many are first generation college students so as volunteers, we can really make a difference in their learning and our own.

Global Volunteers, a non-profit organization, has been giving short-term volunteers the chance to provide essential services to local people on service programs since 1984 - and trusted by 33,000+ volunteers. Volunteering for one to three weeks under the direction of local leaders, team members form