Volunteer in Mexico: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

Volunteer in Mexico: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

UBELONG offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Merida, Mexico.

Volunteer in one of these world-class projects:

CAREGIVING
--> Caring for people with disabilities
--> Caring for disadvantaged youth

--> Public health education

BUSINESS
--> Marketing and social entrepreneurship with UBELONG

NGO SUPPORT
--> Helping at a food bank

CONSTRUCTION
--> Light painting and renovation

Visit ubelong.org for more detail - the journey of a lifetime starts there!

• **24/7 in-country support
  • **Volunteer on projects that truly need you
  • **Live in the heart of Merida and enjoy delicious meals every day
  • **Go with a US based organization - legitimacy and peace of mind
  • **The #1 program in Mexico and with the best reviews!
North America » Mexico
Spring Break
Winter
Year Round
Without compromising safety or impact, UBELONG aims to offer the world’s most affordable 1-week to 6-month international volunteering opportunities.

Fees include:
-->Extensive pre-departure mentorship and support
-->Volunteering alongside locals on projects that make a REAL impact
-->Airport pick-up
-->Housing and meals
-->24/7 in-country support
-->Peace of mind from joining UBELONG, a social organization headquartered in Washington, DC
-->Brand name and networking opportunities that comes from being part of the well-known UBELONG Community
Merida

paige
merida, mexico

Best Experience of my Life

UBELONG is a very motivated organization whose goals are to help you make a difference in the lives of the people in the communities they serve. I have made life long friends with my students that I taught, the other volunteers, locals, and the support staff. I seriously do not want to leave, but I know that I will return. This community has become my home all thanks to the direction of UBELONG. They want your input on how the volunteer projects should be. It is a collaborative effort and I have really enjoyed working with them all. Also Merida is located in an amazing location in the Yucatán. There is so much to do in the city, and it is just a four hour bus ride from places like Tulum and Holbox. Take advantage of it all! There is a lot of free time and a lot to see. The hostel where we stay is also incredible, safe, and has a really great environment. I wish I could stay longer and continue with my students and this program. I can not recommend it enough! Check out their website for more information. Thanks UBELONG for the best summer of my life!

Lijia and Libin
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Emory University

Fantastic Cultural Immersion and Volunteer Experience!

I loved the fact that we could experience the culture more fully than any other traveller, while helping to improve and support the country. We got to be great friends with the children and got a unique understanding of the culture. We also were able to freely explore the country during the free time, which allowed us to see many interesting and unique sites.

Better communication options between volunteers and directors of various projects to coordinate daily plans.

Arshi
New York City

Ubelong Merida Program - True Mayan Gateway

The volunteer program of Ubelong in Merida, Mexico was a gateway not only to make a difference to the society, but also to create world-class friendships.

I live in NYC and I am a CPA and a Level II CFA. Coming from a finance background and living in an illusion that I know it all, I realized that this program opened completely new doors that I was oblivious to.

I did not know any Spanish, a limitation that made me nervous about the program in the beginning. However, your first interaction is with the program officers in Mexico. Martina and Leo are absolutely endearing and they make you feel comfortable and safe since the inception of the program. The positive energy they exude brings the best in you.

The hostel ubelong arranged for the volunteers is very comfortable and through it, you meet some of the finest people; travelers and locals. The other volunteers in the program (Rachel, Lija, Lisa and Paige) became my pals immediately and the whole environment became a comfort zone that I had difficulty leaving.

The non-profit I worked for in Merida had a very professional staff. I was fortunate to work both on the field and in the office (as I have a finance background). I worked with Foster in the nursery who taught me not only the fieldwork but also a little Spanish. The highlight was the hip-hop music that played in the background while conducting arduous physical labor. In the office, I worked on preparing cost benefit analysis and helped brainstorm ideas to raise funds. Carolina, the office staff, is a very talented and intelligent girl, who helped me learn about the general fabric of Mexican economy.

Merida as a city is very safe and has a rustic appeal. People are very courteous and amiable, something I miss in NYC. Amidst all the hard work, I still found time to visit tourist spots around Merida. I would definitely recommend this program to everyone and also emphasize that Ubelong is a great channel to accomplish your social goals.

Natalie
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Great organization!

UBELONG is a fantastic organization because they have lots of programs in all different places around the world. They also allow you to choose how long you want to stay, so there's no problem creating a volunteer trip that fits all of your needs. The UBELONG leaders on site were absolutely fantastic! They were extremely helpful in getting us comfortable with our project and even showing us all around Merida. However, there was some disorganization with figuring out the volunteer projects. I signed up for the trip to Merida because it was advertised that I'd be teaching English in schools, and I didn't get to do that. I really enjoyed my project, but I wish I could've done what I signed up for.

This program could improve their organization when managing and assigning projects to volunteers. While I enjoyed my project, I was not assigned to the one I signed up for.

Ella
Australia
Queensland University of Technology

UBELONG

Volunteering with UBELONG was one of the greatest things I have ever done, I had such a great amazing time and it was all thanks to the great team UBELONG has. They made the whole experience so easy, from registration to arriving, the organisation of the projects, looking after you and advising you on activities to do in the area and then to your departure. I have volunteered with a couple of organisations before UBELONG and I have to say that they were the best in preparing you for what to expect during your volunteer time and is definitely an organisation I would recommend.

MyKaelah
Lexington, Kentucky
University of Kentucky

Why you should pick UBELONG!

UBELONG is an organization that anyone could be proud to volunteer through. They are the definition of traveling with purpose. This organization gives you the opportunity to travel somewhere new, completely immerse yourself in the culture, and give back to them in some way. I do not really think there could be much more you could ask for; UBELONG is truly dedicated to giving its volunteers the absolute best experience abroad.

I would have gone for a longer period of time, traveled alone, and definitely would have wanted to do more while in country. Maybe spending more time at my project would have been the number one thing I would have changed.

Mallie
Lexington, KY
University of Kentucky

UBELONG is great!

The UBELONG staff - the essence of the organization - are some of the most helpful, humble, and honest people I've had the pleasure to work with. They go above and beyond to make sure they can assist you in any way possible in preparation for your abroad experience, as well as assisting you while you're abroad. I'm so thankful for the team in the U.S. as well as the local team in Merida - Cedric, Raul, Leo, and Martina are all extremely genuine people who will go out of their way to help you thrive in your abroad experience.

French
France

Good experience, very thankful

I joined the Ubelong program in Mexico to teach English and found it to be a wonderful experience. I was only there for 2 weeks during a break from work, yet still feel like I made a difference. I don't think I changed the world, but I think my time there was well spent. Everybody at the organization was thoughtful, respectful and helpful, and although basic I thought the living conditions were more than adequate. Many of the volunteers were in their 20s, I was the only one in my 30s - this created some small barriers with different budgets, Saturday night plans, etc, but overall I managed fine and came out of the experience with important new relationships. Thanks Ubelong for a very special experience.

Most of the other volunteers were in their 20s - I fit in fine, I'm in my 30s, but it's something to think about.

Tim
Dean College

Great Trip

I joined the Ubelong volunteer program to Mexico this summer. The people I met there are extremely nice and friendly especially the local community leaders Martina and Leo. The are the nicest people I have ever seen. There is nothing I can complain.

I cannot think of one

Steven
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Michigan

Mérida, Mexico

UBELONG made it easy to enjoy my experience volunteering abroad in Mexico through pre-departure tips, assistance with the projects, recommendations for places to eat and travel, and more. The most incredible thing about the UBELONG program is the extent to which volunteers are integrated into a local community and culture; something that I will remember forever. My UBELONG experience was invaluable, and I would wholeheartedly recommend the program to anyone.

After a few weeks of teaching English in San Jose Tzal, I think it would have been better to divide classes by experience (beginner, intermediate, advanced) than by age groups.

Most Affordable - Trusted by Thousands - Real Impact

--> Pick from 100+ projects in education, caregiving, conservation, medical and more
--> Go to Africa, Asia, Latin America & Europe