Volunteer Inn Mexico

Volunteer Inn is a volunteer immersion program that focuses service learning to make real community impact to local organizations. Volunteers work with local, community-driven volunteer projects ranging from Maya Agriculture to Teaching English. Our services are like a real Inn, meaning that meals and housing is included in program fees. You are also guaranteed with volunteer assistance and support from our bilingual staff who are available 24/7.

Volunteer Inn has 2 locations - in Mérida, Yucatan, named the safest city in Mexico and the capital of culture in the Yucatan & Bacalar, Quintana Roo, a small town in the Maya Riviera known for it's lagoon of 7 colors. In these locations volunteers participate in one of 6 projects - environmental conservation, teaching English, animal care, childcare, caregiving, and construction.

• Volunteer Immersion
  • Spanish Language Studies
  • Service Learning
  • Cultural Studies
  • Unique Travel Experience

sinead

Volunteer with Volunteer Inn!!

I worked as a Volunteer Coordinator for Volunteer Inn for over 10 months.
I didn’t know much about Mexico before I moved there, but I had the most amazing experience living and working there. Merida is a beautiful, vibrant, fun and safe city, with great food and lots of culture!
As a Volunteer Coordinator I was involved with different projects; AFAD- the Animal shelter, Amiguitos the Child Care programme and the Mayan Agricultural Project. All programmes were very rewarding in their own special ways. Working with the animals at AFAD you truly see how much your help is needed with the care of the dogs. It’s a great sense of achievement to know you have helped local communities and positively impacted the lives of others. All the Programme Coordinators make sure you feel very welcome and involved too. I feel very lucky to have worked across these projects and provide support that is needed.
I highly recommend volunteering through Volunteer Inn, Monica the Volunteer Communications Manger is fantastic and provides support throughout your volunteer experience. Volunteering is also a great way to travel and explore the rest of Mexico in your free time. I managed to travel a lot of Mexico in my free time and I have to say it is by far my favourite country and I can’t wait to go back!

Melissa

I fell in love with Mexico

Last year was my first time to ever volunteer abroad. I came to do the special needs program. At first, it was quite an emotional experience since it was my first time doing something like this, but everyone at pastoral del amor, and the staff at volunteer in went above and beyond to ensure my safety, confidence, emotional state, and everything in between was taken care of. Here I am... almost exactly 1 year later... LIVING in Merida Mexico to volunteer full time. I highly recommend this program. Not only will it change the lives of those you help, but it will change your world as well.

We need more volunteers!
Signe

Volunteer in Merida

Volunteering at the animal shelter in Merida was very rewarding! I felt like I really made an impact, improved the lives of the animals at the shelter and completed chores so that the professionals at AFAD had time to focus on important tasks! I would highly recommend volunteering at AFAD through this program if you're an animal lover! Weekends and holiday breaks are great to travel the surrounding area as well

Kelsey

Amazing experience!!

I arrived in Merida the fall of 2015. I arrived alone, and was very nervous as I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Pre-departure, I had TONS of questions, but Miguél was very good about answering them. I had flown into Cancun late.and Maddie gave me great suggestions for hostels and helped me with getting a bus to Merida the next morning. I was set up with an amazing host family, and I never felt unsafe or unwelcome. Merida is a BEAUTIFUL city, lots to do and explore! The people of Merida are so welcoming and very kind. If i ever want to volunteer again I'll be sure to go through here again!

Sarita

Beautiful bacalar!

Maddie is absolutely wonderful and the staff is sure to take care of you when in the yucatan! It feels much like a vacation with only a little help required but it's not just busy work, you're really making an impact in other people's lives! You can travel or just hang out around town in your off time. Food is awesome, the people are charming, the landscape is beautiful. This program is great for someone with no knowledge of the language or even better for someone looking to improve their spanish capabilities since they do offer classes. Go to bacalar and hang out by the most beautiful lagoon ever! You won't regret it :)

About Volunteer Inn

Volunteer Inn Mexico partners with the Institute of Modern Spanish to offer volunteers from around the world inexpensive opportunities to immerse themselves in Mexican culture while supporting the needs to the local community.

Volunteers tell us...