Rustic Pathways | Mongolia

Rustic Pathways | Mongolia

Besides the breathtaking landscape and unique culture, Rustic Pathways programs to Mongolia will challenge your perceptions of rustic, and teach you about the spirit of the nomadic lifestyle. This three-week program gives you the opportunity to learn and work on projects involving health and nutrition, experience what it is like to live like a nomad, and explore the rolling green hills of Steppes. This program is for students who love the outdoors and are ready for a challenge!

“I’m often asked, “You work where?” Mongolia is a question mark to many people, but to me Mongolia is a cup of milk tea with strangers, it’s bumpy drives on unpaved roads once walked by mighty warriors, it’s days on horseback over endless steppe and nights in my tent under a dizzy of stars. It is wild, free, and my home away from home.”
--Gaia Bonini, Mongolia Country Director

Asia » Mongolia
Project Types
Guesthouse
Cost does not include international airfare.

Cole

Off The Map: Mongolia

I think I can speak for everyone who went on this trip, in saying that we had an amazing time, and we all had so much fun doing it. We were able to see things that people will rarely get a chance to see, experiencing new cultures, and the landscapes they have settled in. Future trip goers will be astonished by the rugged landscapes, and learn from the people who live in them. I wish I could stay there longer and would love to go back.

More time out in the West, and less in UB. I felt that we did not need all the time at the beginning and the end of the trip in UB.

Ali
Anacortes, WA.

MONGOLIA?

This program taught me that I can mentally over come anything. When it's cold, you haven't showered for 15 days, you wear the same pants and shirt for 3 weeks, and eat the same thing everyday, you start to learn what you truly find happiness in. Not only do you learn about yourself, but you learn to truly love yourself for who you are, good and bad.

Less down time.

Kate
Columbus, Ohio
Ohio State University

The Land of Sunny Skies

This trip was one of the most amazing trips I've ever been on. The staff did an amazing job of making it fun and meaningful. They did an amazing job of always keeping us engaged in our activities and getting us to open up to each other. I really connected with all of the other people on trip thanks to the nightly activities that the staff did. I loved the long road trips and all the hiking. A large portion of the trip was horseback riding through the Mongolian countryside, and it was so beautiful. Seeing all of the amazing sights on horseback is a memory that I really cherish. If I could do this trip again I would in a heartbeat.

more preparation for the service we did. We taught English in an orphanage/school, and talking about what we were going to do, and what lessons we should teach would have been nice.

Kyla
Collingwood, Ontario

Off the Map: Mongolia

I traveled with Rustic Pathways in the summer of 2013 on their Off the Map: Mongolia program and felt thoroughly impacted, inspired, and changed by the experience. It was a one of a kind experience that was by no stretch of the imagination glamorous- we spent most of the trip traveling in a Soviet era van or on horseback, and living with nomadic, traditional families- but it was authentic, and left me feeling fascinated by the country, people and culture. The best part for me was meeting and experiencing the hospitality of Mongolian nomads, who were happy to share their way of life with us foreigners. When we arrived at one family's ger camp in a rain storm, they welcomed us into their family ger for the night, preventing us from having to set up our tents in the rain. The ger- a one roomed, sturdy tent-like structure that is probably smaller than your bedroom, made up their house and living quarters in entirety, but they were kind enough to share this personal space with us- complete strangers. Overall, I would recommend this trip to anyone who is adventurous, and interested in learning about a completely different way of life. It will challenge your understanding of "happiness", and will leave you fascinated with this beautiful country.

The only thing that made me sad about this program is that it wasn't longer... I wanted to stay the entire summer! It would be cool to offer a homestay option.

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways to one of many exotic locations.

We take students on unique, rewarding, and safe programs to some of the world's friendliest and fascinating countries. Immerse yourself in a new culture, work on purposeful community service projects, and expand