Rustic Pathways | Morocco

Rustic Pathways | Morocco

Join Rustic Pathways on our programs in Morocco, one of the most diverse set of landscapes the world has to offer. Treck through the Sahara Desert on camelback, explore the Marrakesh marketplace, and work with a village in the High Atlas Mountains on education and infrastructure projects. Morocco’s programs are perfect for those who want to indulge in breath-taking sights and dedicate their time to challenging but highly-rewarding service world.

“Morocco resembles our national dish, the tagine. Just as many ingredients are mixed together for the perfect stew, the combination of mountains and deserts, medieval cities and pristine beaches, and tradition and modernity will make you want to savor every bite of it. I can go on about this magical place, but I am sure you will leave Morocco wanting to return.”
--Chaima Ait Al Mekki, Morocco Country Director

Africa » Morocco
Project Types
Arabic
Guesthouse
Hotel
Cost does not include international airfare.

Alondra

Moroccan Wanderer

Amazing program with amazing group leaders. I received a full scholarship for this program through a wonderful opportunity and had an amazing time. Morocco has so much to offer with a very diverse geography. I would definitely recommend it and it teaches so much about Islam which is also amazing. I had the opportunity to stay in the Saharan desert overnight and watch the stars and go sand surfing. It was really amazing and my Moroccan group leaders were very knowledgeable and open people who I bonded with really well.

Not as many long bus rides but otherwise amazing (still enjoyed the bus rides).

Gaston

Wandering with the wanderers

I enrolled for the Moroccan Wanderer program with not a lot of expectations about what would happen during the program. Since it was a different culture and program to what I am used to I did not know what to expect. But as soon as I arrived in Morocco I knew it was going to be an amazing experience.
I arrived in Casablanca the day before because I was travelling from Colombia to Morocco via Madrid (I am Venezuelan but live in Colombia). I met my program leaders that night and met my group the next day at the Hassan II Mosque. Then we drove to Marrakesh and spent three days there getting to know the city which was amazing and very beautiful. Then we left for Ourikt the village were we would do our comunity service it was a very nice experience to get to know the locals and help them with the ongoing project for the school with the locals. Then we spent a night at an old Kasbah in Nkob wich was very pretty and the people there were extremely nice and helpful. Then we went to Merzouga wich was the place were we would leave our stuff prior to the night that we spent in the Sahara. The Sahara is something amazing it is like from another planet, it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I got to ride on my favourite animal: The Camel. After that experience we headed to the Toudra Gorge in the High Atlas. We satyed in a beautiful place and had a very cool hike around the area. After that we left to Ait Benhadou which is an old fortress town near Ouarzazate. We had fun exploring the fortress and getting to know about "The Hollywood of Morocco". Then it was the last stop towards Esaouira a beatiful beach town were we had great food and very nice Landscapes also we went to a fair. The last day we drove to casablanca and my group left back to their homes and I stayed one more night with the rustic team at a hotel in Casablanca.
This definetly was one of the best experiences of my life.

Leah
Florida

Morocco Trip

Going to Morocco was definitely the highlight of my summer. Morocco was exotic to me and fascinating. The most exciting part was seeing and meeting new people. I also brushed up on my Arabic skills! If I had another opportunity to go back to Morocco I would 100% take it! When I was there I ate delicious food like couscous and chicken just thinking about it makes me hungry. I went on the trip with my best friend and had a great time.

Hannah
Bay Village, Ohio

Awesome itinerary and leaders!! But...

My experience in Morocco was truly eye opening. I saw everything from the crazy markets of Marrakech to the serene villages of the Atlas Mountains. The Rustic group leaders are absolutely inspiring people! The only downside of the trip was that I couldn't really relate to a lot of the teens in the group (wealthy, East Coast kids). But overall amazing!

Maybe have trips where kids who earn scholarships to go are together. It creates an awkward dynamic when one student is only there because they were given an amazing scholarship and everyone else just paid out of pocket (and have been for several years). This is nothing against the students who choose to go on Rustic trips! It just would have made me more comfortable.

K
Same place!

Photography in Morocco

I absolutely loved this trip. The local guides were so kind and open about their culture. The country is muslim, and I had so many questions that they were happy to answer, even the difficult ones! I improved my photography both by shooting, and by the interesting discussions we had about the morality of street shooting when some people don't want to be shot. While not everyone on the trip is going to be a life long friend, everyone on the trip was a pleasure to be with, and I am glad to have met. I highly recommend this photography trip in morocco, for explorers and artists alike.

I wish we could have spent more time in marrakech. For such an iconic city, we only got one night.

Shana
Louisville, KY

Trip of a Lifetime!

My son had so much fun and he learned so much. He matured and grew in his confidence so much. This company kept in touch and even sent a few pics to let me know how the trip was going. They were so helpful and I felt my son was safe the whole time. He will definitely be returning.

Emanuela
Rome, Italy

One of the most eyeopening experiences of my life

This experience was one of the most eyeopening and life changing experiences of my life. Although living in the Zawita ahansal village was challenging it taught me to never take my life for granted. Also, it lead me to realize how unecessary material objects are and how, rather, love and the kindness of the human spirit are the true key to happiness and well being.

I would not stay in Rabat for one night. Atleast find another location to sleep at (possibly a riad).

Akshay
Bothell, Washington

Incredible Trip

As amazing of a country as Morocco is, the thing that really made my Moroccan Wanderer adventure was the people it was with. The other students were awesome, but that's very subjective. The people that are much less so [subjective] are the guides/counselors. They were, for me, truly incredible. Due to them, this trip was much more educational, in ways that I never would have imagined before it, compared to other trips I've been on.

One of the biggest highlights was spending a night in the Sahara desert. It's the kind of experience that you'd never imagine yourself having: the kind of thing that only exists in movies. Thus, when the experience is actually had, it feels even greater than anything a movie could show. We rode camels in and out of the desert (which, in itself made me feel like Lawrence of Arabia), stargazed from the top of a tall sand dune, and went sandboarding. Combined, these formed an unforgettable experience.

The service project that we did in Zawiya Alhansal was also a vital and memorable part of the trip. We taught English and art in a small school for two days, then spent a lot of time playing soccer with the kids there and helping design a library in one of the schools. While this certainly didn't designate the overall adventure a service trip, it did give it a bit more meaning and impact that distinguishes it from a vacation.

Overall, this trip was something I would recommend to everyone and anyone, with my only advice being to be careful about health, as I did get sick.

I would spend more time in Zawiya Ahansal and perhaps forget one night in one of the locations, ideally the Dades Gorge, which, despite being a beautiful place, was the one place where we were unable to do the only thing we had the chance to do there: hike.

Doing this would widen the impact of the trip and allow even more bonding with the locals.

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways to one of many exotic locations.

We take students on unique, rewarding, and safe programs to some of the world's friendliest and fascinating countries. Immerse yourself in a new culture, work on purposeful community service projects, and expand