Summer High School Programs in Morocco with Rustic Pathways

Hiking
Hiking
Rustic Pathways Morocco Program Participant
Rustic Pathways Morocco Program Participant

Rustic Pathways’ programs in Morocco encompass the breadth of this gorgeous country with visits to jaw-dropping sights such as the Cascades d’Ouzoud waterfall and Hassan II Mosque. Traveling to the indigenous Amazigh villages of the Atlas Mountains will expose photography students learn to rich cultural traditions and service students work on community-based projects focused on education, agriculture, and cultural preservation.

Iconic images of camels trekking across the desert fall far short of capturing what Morocco is really like. From the red sands of the Sahara to the crashing waves of the coast and the fragrant spice stands of Jamaâ El-Fna market in Marrakech, Morocco is a country you have to see firsthand to truly understand.

Rustic Pathways Scholarships
Rustic Pathways Scholarships and Financial Aid

Rustic Pathways is committed to making life-changing opportunities possible for students worldwide. We know how impactful our programs are, and continually strive to make them more accessible to all students.

$1,000 - $5,000

Day-to-day routines varied quite a bit: some days we spent a lot of time in transit, other days we spent the days out and about exploring the various surroundings. For what it’s worth, mealtimes were fairly standard and consistent, even if the rest of our days weren’t. Beyond this, depending on the location, we sometimes had more structure in our days, with organized activities or group...

Hailey

High Atlas Mountains Service Project in Morocco

Everyone I was surrounded by in Morocco, from the villagers to the leaders, constantly proved to me that the smallest things make such a difference. Before my trip I took a lot for granted, but this trip showed me that even a simple smile makes such a difference. Being with the children in Morocco made me fall in love with teaching and how excited the children are to learn. The places we explored in Morocco were absolutely beautiful from the peaceful Atlas Mountains to the bustling city of Marrakech there was always something exciting to do. My guides were amazing and taught us so much history about Morocco and lead us on many tours throughout the country. Sara is the most genuine and caring rustic leader and if you get her as your leader you are in amazing hands! I recommend this trip to everyone!

Etai

My Morocco Review

This program was incredible. I got to see parts of the world that I never thought I would, but more importantly, I met people (both locals and those on the trip with me) that I will remember for life. Apart from the actual experience of being in Morocco, the activities we did as a group helped me learn so much about my new friends as well as myself. It allowed me to return home with a new perspective. The fun things we did regarding the Moroccan culture and landscape only accentuated this gained perspective. I still keep in touch with the friends that I made, and the memories that I made in Morocco will stay with me forever. The leaders were also incredible; they were always focused on our safety and enjoyment. They didn't feel separate from the students on the group; we were all one family.

There was a lot of time spent driving. I think the program would be a lot more fun if there were more activities and less driving.
spencer

Morocco with Rustic Pathways

This past summer I spent two and a half weeks in five different regions in Morocco with Rustic Pathways. I learned about the history and culture of the this beautiful country, while discovering the countless amount of things I had in common with the sixteen other boys and girls in my group. While in Morocco I had the opportunity to teach younger Moroccan children English, ride camels, discover mosques and other historic building, hike undiscovered mountains and drink lots of tea. Each day was a new adventure and no day was like the last. My group was led by three incredibly knowledgeable and genuine group leaders who made my experience so much more meaningful. I am eternally grateful to Rustic Pathways for introducing me to my best friend, someone who I would never have met if it was not for Rustic.

To improve this program, I would add more service days at the beginning and more traveling days towards the end.
Emma

Moroccan Wanderer

Rustic pathways was an all around amazing and life changing experience. I have grown up in the same place my entire life, so this opportunity to explore and learn about different places and cultures is so new and exciting to me. There is nothing I would rather do with my summer. The special thing about Morocco is the connections I made with both my fellow travelers and the people who lived there-I never knew how easy it is to break through a language barrier! I was still able to play and connect with the children and adults through expressions, laughter, songs, and even dance. Making relationships with fellow Rustic travelers was so amazing as well, since I got the opportunity to meet people of similar interest but of different backgrounds. This trip was truly life changing, and I know I will never forget it.

What was your funniest moment?
Playing around with the kids in the schools, teaching them how to say "I like" and "I DON'T like" to different types of vegetables. It ended up turning into a crazy chanting game, and it was so amazing to see how excited the kids got about vegetables!
Sofia

Moroccan Wanderer

The Moroccan Wanderer program was truly the most enriching, adventurous, and fun experience of my trips through Rustic Pathways. Every day of this trip entailed something completely new from the day before and the constant moving and exploring made it impossible to get bored. What made this trip so unique and special was the perfect balance of fun, community service, and educational opportunities that were given to us all throughout the trip. Although Morocco may seem like a dangerous country to some (and parents may be concerned about sending their kids there), I never felt like I was ever in any danger, moreover, I felt extremely safe all of the time and our leaders always made sure to use the utmost caution in order to ensure safety for us in every outing or activity. Morocco may seem like its main attraction is simply the Sahara Desert, but this trip entails so much more, including zip-lining through the mountains, surfing, hiking, and so much more.
Further, I made the most amazing friends on this trip and getting to be travel with these wonderful groups of people on Rustic Pathways truly makes the experience the best it can be. Morocco is an amazing country and Rustic Pathways enables students to experience it the way it should be experienced.

In Morocco, depending on where you are in the country or what time of day it is, the weather is extremely varied. During the day, it can be super hot and at night it can be pretty cold. Make sure you are prepared for the temperature shifts and don't underestimate the heat!
Emiliana

Unique experiences with Emiliana

My first Rustic trip was on August, 2019 and it was a wonderful, amazing, and unique experience. Obviously I was scared at first but when I met the staff and my group, all those nervous feelings left since they were such great people. Everyone that goes on these trips and programs have one thing in common, and that is learning from and helping others. I figured this out since you never would feel alone because everyone was willing to help others. I learned so much from my new friends, from the people in the community we did service at since they were so encouraging and helpful with every aspect of the service we did, and also from my leaders. I believe that this was definitely one of the best trips of my whole life so I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to go on a Rustic program.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did on my trip with Rustic Pathways to Morocco was riding on camels. I never thought that I would ride camels on the Sahara looking at the sunset and then watching the stars at night. This part of the trip was definitely the best since it was a rare and adventurous experience for everyone. I was so scared before riding the camels and I was really nervous after I was on top of the camels, but it was the funniest and best part. We all bonded so much on this part of the trip since we were all nervous. It felt so good and with really positive vibes since everyone was laughing and we had so much fun.
Emily

How RP Encouraged Me to Break Out of My Comfort Zone and Create Lifelong Friends

My main piece of advice for Rustic Pathways trips is to choose a trip that will push you out of your comfort zone. It may seem scary, daunting, and, frankly, like you won’t enjoy your time, but I guarantee you, no matter what, you will have the most amazing time on a Rustic Pathways trip. Throughout my high school years, I have been on two different trips with Rustic. First, in the summer of 2018, I went to Thailand on Elephants and Amazing Thailand, and secondly, I went on Moroccan Wanderer in Morocco in the summer of 2019. Both trips were amazing. I started my journey to the airport before my first trip in 2018 worrying about making friends. I have never been an extrovert, and, although I do have many friends, I have never been one to eagerly associate with others with as much enthusiasm as some of my friends, something that scared me when entering an environment with people I had never met. Yet, that’s the beauty of these trips. Student travelers are all likeminded kids. We are all seeking out new experiences and want to learn about the world. Although I have met many types of people throughout each and every trip, coming from different political views, backgrounds, and cultures, many of which, having very different personalities than my own, Rustic has a way of bringing people together. To this very day, I consider many of my fellow travelers to be my best friends, talking to many of them every day. That is just one reason why I have continued going on trips with Rustic Pathways, as not only were the staff members some of the most amazing and understanding people I have met, with so much experience to share about life and careers, and not only for the fact that the trips as a whole were an amazing experience fit with athletic activities, new foods, and new languages and cultures, but that it has helped me break out of my comfort zone and create new friends that I now consider family.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I am deathly afraid of heights, yet, on Moroccan Wanderer, they had a ropes course planned for us, equipped with a monkey bridge, of what seemed to me, miles off the ground. Originally, my plan was to skip this adventure. However, although Rustic Pathways staff members are probably the most understanding people I have ever met and would never make me do something I was uncomfortable with, my fellow travelers encouraged me to try the course. Although I had known them for only a week at this time, I knew I could consider them some of my best friends. Throughout my experience, I learned that travel has an astonishing way of getting people from different cultural backgrounds, states, and political views to come together as best friends, and, I knew I could trust them and their opinions. Stepping onto the bridge sandwiched between two friends, I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest. However, along with the support of Rustic staff and my friends, I got to experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, overcome my fear of heights, and have an amazing time on the ropes course, ziplining and walking hundreds of feet above the air. That was the day I faced one of my biggest fears, was encouraged to expand my comfort zone, and, ultimately, enjoy the most amazing life experience alongside friends and Rustic staff that I can now consider family.
William

The Moroccan wanderer

Morocco, a unique country with an ancient history and a rich culture. I embarked on the Moroccan Wanderer program during the summer of 2019 through the Rustic Pathways program. This trip offers just about all you could possibly want when exploring and learning about a new country. On this trip we learn alot: the fundamentals of Islam, the history of Morocco, and the cultural climate within the country. Some valuable skills are learned as well through teaching the kids by developing our own lesson plan, along with the construction work done. These valuable parts of the trip are only half of it, the scenery and architecture in Morocco is incredible and extremely unique. This trip covers almost all climates of Morocco, as you travel from sub-saharan Africa to the windy coasts. The amenities throughout the trip were also excellent. We were served authentic Moroccan food throughout the duration of the trip, it was fantastic! Along with this the sleeping arrangements were always of a good standard while still keeping an authentic nature about them. I highly recommend this trip for anyone interested in learning about a new country, as you will be fully immersed in the culture and come away with a meaningful experience.

Be ready for lots of fun, but a challenge as well. Both physically and mentally.
Anna Claire

My Experience with the Moroccan Wanderer Program

I went to Morocco with Rustic Pathways the summer after my sophomore year of high school. Having been to China with them previously, I was worried that nothing could compare to that amazing experience. However, I was proven wrong very quickly. My group was small for the program, as we only had 10 students, but I think that made us all much closer than we would've been had we been in a larger group. The students and leaders were amazing, and made my trip so much more special. The leaders really cared about us, but were also genuinely interested in being with us, and even befriending us. That was a huge perk, because it made us all more comfortable with each other. The things I got the opportunity to do were amazing as well, like riding camels across the Sahara Desert, or teaching English to small town kids. The program helped me face some of my fears, but I always felt safe and cared for. The places we stayed were beautiful and well thought out. Everywhere we went was chosen perfectly and genuinely fascinating. My travels with Rustic Pathways have been the best experiences of my life, and I am so grateful to be able to do them during the summer.

-Make sure to pack long pants and shirts with sleeves (boys and girls), as Morocco is more modest than most countries
-Be ready to try anything and everything, because you will regret it if you don't
-Stay open minded as you are faced with unfamiliar challenges--I know for me, the culture in Morocco is very different from what I was used to, so I had to consciously work on keeping an open mind
Shanie

Advanced Photography Workshop Review

As an avid traveler, photography pushes me to communicate with and capture the stories of locals in different countries. Photography empowers me to break barriers that language and different cultural norms put up and allows me to tell the stories of different countries to my community at home. I aim to showcase the lives of individuals throughout the world, to create less fear and more interest in differences. Eyes, expressions, and stories have the power to surpass the extremists shown through media and make connections between citizens of the world accessible to all. During my two weeks in Morocco, I was guided through the history and culture in a way that made my photos come alive. Not only did my photography significantly improve but I was able to humanize a culture that I only imagined before. Through Rustic, I made incredible friends and my trip left me wanting to learn, listen and travel to so many more places throughout the world.

I would advise being open to stepping out of your comfort zone and excited about challenging yourself.
Meg

Moroccan Wonderer Review

On this trip we traveled all over the beautiful country of Morocco, we met so many amazing and kind people who were so willing and excited to tell us about their lives and culture. We got to try some really good food and learn a lot about islamic culture. The leaders were incredibly friendly and helpful. I made lots of amazing friends along the way and grew so much as a person. This trip really gave me great insight into other ways of living and the service really impacted me and I will remember it forever. This trip was great for high school students because it was very active including camel riding and zip lining. It was packed full of adventure and education and really gave you amazing insight into the country that you wouldn't get elsewhere. I am very grateful to have experienced this.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve racking thing that I encountered on this trip was zip lining over huge open spaces. I was super nervous at first but then decided to just do it because I knew I would regret not doing it. It ended up being super fun.
Chloe

Moroccan Wanderer

This trip was absolutely incredible; the two weeks wasn’t enough. The friends I made were kind and supportive and our group instantly clicked. The trip itself was rigorous in travel throughout the country but utterly worth it. The people in Morocco are kind and caring, and the culture is beautiful and accepting. I would absolutely recommend this trip to anyone looking for a marvelous adventure and wonderful learning experience about a truly beautiful country. Overall this trip was unforgettable; both the country itself and the incredible people I got to meet along the way. Hearing the stories of the many people we met during the trip were incredible and so eye-opening, there were so many people that I will always remember and cherish. يلا حبيبي!

Absolutely nothing!!! It was absolutely amazing!!!
Sarah

Moroccan Wanderer Rustic Pathways Student Review

My experience on Rustic Pathway’s Moroccan Wanderer was one that offered self-reflection and discovery through adventure and learning about Moroccan culture. Jumping from city to city, we covered what seemed like all of Morocco in only two weeks. Being able to spend time in a different atmosphere every day allowed incredible adventure and experience. We stayed in incredible housing; each place had its own unique Moroccan authenticity and story. We are incredible food that was mostly very authentic, consisting of tajine and delicious khobz (bread). We met many local families and men and women who shared their stories with us and taught us the importance of Moroccan culture. Rustic Pathway’s Moroccan Wanderer is an incredible trip and I highly recommend it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would leave my phone behind and just bring a camera.
John

Moroccan wanderers program

My trip to Morocco with Rustic Pathways was amazing. Even for the nervous traveler, it was just over a week and your constantly doing things. The service was really impactful for me and lasted just a couple days. After the service you do lots of fun activities such as zip lining, riding camels, surfing, and more. I loved how the group size was pretty small because it allowed you to really bond with the whole group and make some great friends. The leaders were great too, they were supportive whenever needed and were just really fun people. Two of the leaders, being from Morocco were very knowledgeable about the culture and history so that was awesome. Overall, this trip had a large impact on my life, helping me build some solid life skills and I was able to better find myself as a person

I would lengthen the time of service we did because that was personally my favorite part.
John

Moroccan wanderer program

Moroccan wanderers with Rustic Pathways is an amazing experience. Even for the nervous traveler, it’s just over two weeks and your constantly doing things. The service aspect had a huge impact on me, and was definitely my favorite part. Everything after the service project was all fun, riding camels, zip lining, surfing, and more. I also loved that the group size is a little smaller because you really get to bond with the whole group and make some great friends. The leaders were great too, the were really supportive if needed, and just really fun people. Two of them being from Morocco, were very knowledgeable on the culture and history which was pretty awesome. Overall, this trip helped me build up some solid life skills and find myself more as a person in the world.

I would lengthen the time of service we did because that was personally my favorite part of the trip.
Read my full story

Alumni Interviews

About Rustic Pathways

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways. Choose from culturally-immersive adventure and volunteer programs in 17 countries. Make lifelong friends from around the world, work on sustainable community service projects, and discover new...