Volunteer in Kathmandu - Childcare & Women's Support

Volunteer in Kathmandu - Childcare & Women's Support

A Broader View has placements available in the bustling city of Kathmandu, and in the rural village of Sipaghat. We provide a safe, enriching experience working in a community hospital, a rural clinic, with at risk youth, with woman in a rural village and with little babies and toddlers.

Take part in meaningful community service work while discovering the wonders of Nepal!

Asia » Nepal
Pre-departure Orientation Guide. Includes detailed travel, safety & cultural information and many tips that will make your trip planning easier.
Detailed Fundraising Guide that will help you raise the funds needed to travel, as well as provide donations to the project.

Aya
Abu Dhabi

Nepal Kathmandu

My local Nepal coordinator and his family were a family to me. Let me tell you a real short story. The family which I came to know in 1st of November 2015 was The father of Mr. Sudhir, his Mother, his Wife Sarita, and little angel Sayon. Let me start by saying how lucky I were to have Baba on holiday back home on my very first week. He works away so I only meet him for a short time but enough time to see what a patient and loving dad he is. Not forget how easily he helped me to fit in as he was using some Arabic words with me. Second family member is Mama whom I have always felt her like my mother; she has been the very caring and loving person of the family. My very favorite is Mrs. Sarita my super women of the family, he has not only be a caring sister but only a very understanding part that I thank God for having her in that house. She was always understood me as I always find troubles explaining what I need to others. Last but not least is my coordinator, Sudhir, was a gene hahahaha. He was always reachable, caring and great support for me. He did organized everything for me perfectly so I never needed to worry about anything else. He was very detailed and the very best coordinator for a first time volunteer.
I would like to thank ABV for giving me this opportunity to explore myself and the world. I would also want to thank my homestay host family for their generous hospitality and care. I sure send my best thanks to my family, friends and colleagues who supported me and encouraged me to go on this trip. Finally, I call all humans out there from different nationalities, you must visit Nepal, there are a lot of people here to help and you could

Hannah
Virginia

Nepal an eye opening experience

I was surprised at the way I was included and accepted by the locals- not only my host family, but also villagers I passed who didn't speak English or know exactly who I was. On the way up the mountain from a festival in town, we passed a group of women playing drums outside the temple. They invited me to dance to their chant. I never expected I would be the first one to dance in a group of strangers at a festival, but how could I say no? It was my honor to be accepted and valued.
I'm glad that I found ABV. This organization will make you a part of the family and make you feel truly valued. I knew when I went to Nepal that I would have the adventure of my life, but I didn't anticipate feeling so at home. I always felt taken care of, and I had the chance to contribute, too. ABV put me in a home where I could experience Nepal in the most authentic way. By the time I left, my new friends were telling me I seemed Nepali. I'm so happy I could contribute to this organization that does real work to improve the living conditions of many Nepalis.

Ariel
California

My Greatest Adventure of All

I have paraglide, trekked, canoed, ridden elephants, explored ancient temples, traipsed through jungles, had tea on a mountain top above the clouds, and watched a Himalayan sunrise. But as I wrap up of my time in Nepal, there is no doubt about what has been my greatest adventure of all: third world medicine. The doctors I was lucky enough to learn from work seven days a week and never go on vacation. They pay out of pocket for those who are too poor to pay for treatment. They fundraise relentlessly for basic equipment and can only afford to dream about CT scanners and MRI machines. They fight every day to treat health problems that would be little more than a passing concern in the United States. This experience has been life changing and opened my eyes to the incredibly blessed life that I lead. And although it is difficult for just one volunteer to make a difference, I feel truly honored and humbled to have been able to touch even a few lives.

Lisette
Weston

Teaching at a Kathmandu School

Nepal was a great learning experience and the children at the project were wonderful. The volunteer home was wonderful and welcoming. The safety of the neighborhood was great. The entire family was very accommodating and helpful with whatever I needed help with. I’m so glad that I had a chance to meet a family as wonderful as them. In the end when I got stuck at the airport and went over to the Indian embassy and they said there was nothing they could do to help me out, Raj came and helped me handle the situation and called the coordinator and the other volunteers to go meet me at the airport and try and help me out there. After nothing worked the coordinator and the volunteers took my bag back to the house and Raj assisted me at the Jet Airways office. I’m so thankful that they were there to help me. Definitely travel on the weekends to different areas of Nepal to help broaden their view of Nepal because not every area is like Kathmandu. Traveling also helps learn how the different communities in Nepal function and it’s also really fun and relaxing to get away from the city. I would recommend going to Chitwan and staying at the jungle vista resort and visiting Bhaktapur and Nagarkot. Also bungy jumping was a big hit in the volunteer house. Future volunteers shouldn’t bring anything of importance and if they do it should remain locked in their suitcase at home. They should have a suitcase lock anyway if they don’t want their stuff to be gone through when they’re not home. As for clothing, women should cover themselves even though our generation is expected to wear clothing that a little less decent but if they don’t want the extra attention then they should show as little skin as possible.

Daymeia
Philadelphia
Arcadia University

Teaching in Nepal Kathmandu

My favorite part of the trip was working with the children and teacher in my classroom everyday. The teacher was so warm, friendly, and kind – in general the whole school was welcoming including the teachers and especially the students.
The most difficult thing I experienced was the constant staring from locals because they weren't used to seeing African Americans. Everyday there was someone looking and talking with a friend to figure out things about me or they would ask me where I was from constantly.
I packed two weeks worth of clothing for my month stay because I planned to donate my clothes so I could have more room for souvenirs to bring back home, so I bought older clothes with me so I wouldn't worry about them getting ruined. If you’re going to a country in the Eastern part of the world just be prepared for the long flights and the different airplane culture. Make sure you read over the list for things you might need for staying in that country and make sure to buy most of it. I would recommend waiting to buy stuff for donations until you know exactly what your volunteer site will need so you know that your donations will really be used. While sightseeing be respectful of the countries customs and if you are going to a religious sight ask what you should do before you go.
ABV is a wonderful program to work with if you want to get an experience that will change your life forever. The many volunteer programs in different countries can be appealing to anyone who wants that experience. Going to volunteer in Nepal has changed my life forever and I am so appreciative of that. I’ve learned more about myself during my one month stay than my entire life.

The biggest problem was the language barrier that sometimes occurred with the volunteers and the sisters at the house.

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your