GIVE Nepal Volunteer Excursion in the Himalayas

City
City
Landscape
Landscape

Nepal is a truly special place in the world and volunteering in Nepal is the experience of a lifetime. Nowhere else on the planet can you climb higher, dream bigger and better witness the resilience of humanity than amongst these Himalayan giants and the mosaic of cultures within them. GIVE offers two unique volunteer programs in Nepal; both in the shadows of the Himalayas, both designed to empower communities to rebuild after the devastating 2015 earthquake.

Everest Base Camp Add-On (13 days)
Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity trekking through Mount Everest, known by the Sherpa people of Nepal as Chomolungma – the Goddess Mother of the Earth – a remarkable mosaic of landscapes, ecosystems and culture.

Tibetan Frontier Add-On (11 days)
Begin with 3 days of trekking and immersing yourself in Tibetan culture. Support earthquake recovery efforts through responsible tourism practices, before trekking further into the Tibetan Frontier to summit a Himalayan peak!

• Discover the Himalayas
  • Teach English to Local Children
  • Rebuild Homes Near the Epicenter of the 2015 Earthquake
  • Embark on a 2-Day Whitewater Rafting Journey
  • Watch the Sunset Over an Ancient Hindu Kingdom

Our 2021 dates are here!

Not ready to travel this year? Check out our 2021 dates and our newest program, Vietnam!

Kennedy

Give review

I did not expect to love this trip as much as I did, I went into it not knowing anyone and ended up forming beautiful bonds and relationships with my fellow givers. The hike to Everest Base Camp was nothing like I've ever done and it was challenging but worth it. I cannot recommend traveling with give enough because they are wonderful to work with and they opened my eyes to how I can make an impact with my travels. The group I went with are still very near and dear to my heart, we laughed and cried together when it got tough, but I made it through the trip and came out a much better person than I was before. I cannot thank the wonderful staff we had assisting us enough because it was them that made it so wonderful.

Sam

A sense of purpose

Volunteering in a small village in Nepal was incredibly humbling. Working alongside some of the most motivated, inspiring people I have ever met in one of the most beautiful places in the world is an experience I’ll never forget. It’s incredible to say that I have Nepali friends and to know that I am a friend to some of them. Aside from the locals, I had the opportunity to meet and work with the most likeminded people I’ve ever encountered, despite surface level differences. The special thing about GIVE is the people it attracts. There’s a certain something deep inside of people that motivates them to take a leap like this, and it’s this particular something that is now at the root of some of my closest friendships. I am so thankful for the opportunities that have arisen since the first big leap and cannot wait for the next!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
What surprised me most was how easily a group of people from such different backgrounds could come together and laugh at some joke or enjoy a meal together — how quickly a group of complete strangers could form a lasting bond.
Alexis

GIVE Nepal Volunteer Excursion in the Himalayas

My trip to Nepal with GIVE was immersive and impactful. Throughout the trip all of the volunteers were given opportunities to meet with the locals, learn their language and culture, and understand their traditions. Hiking through the Himalayas was one of the most magnificent experiences I've ever had, as well as challenging. While hiking was rewarding for its physical challenge, the work done and relationships formed with the people of Langtang was most rewarding when realizing the impact it made. In addition to the adventure and connections made in Nepal, all of the volunteers and GIVE leads were incredible to meet and share a great experience with.

The hiking on this trip is no joke, so make sure you like to hike and that you are prepared to climb up to 16,000' elevation.
Molly

GIVE Nepal

Traveling to Nepal was my second trip with GIVE, and it was beyond incredible. We trekked through the Himalayas for several days, during which I learned so much about both myself and the world. Upon arriving to Langtang, we were greeted with nothing but hugs and smiles. There is great devastation within this community, yet you would never know based on the love and gratitude you are showered with. From the people you meet, food you eat, and beautiful places you see, this is a life changing experience you do not want to miss.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
My only regret is not including the EBC add on!
Nicholas

Nepal-Tibetan Frontier July 2019

This trip with GIVE was a defining memory in my life thus far. Being exposed to the wonderful cultures in Nepal and the Tibetan frontier was amazing, and GIVE made the entire experience fun and seamlessly integrated.
The group leaders are experienced and do an excellent job of creating a feeling of community within the group, which is especially important for adjusting to a very different environment.
The landscape was beautiful, the volunteering was impactful, and the trip was fun! I will certainly be returning to Nepal before too long, hopefully with GIVE.

Make sure you are in good hiking shape, once in the mountains there is hiking everyday at considerable altitude and the trip will not be as enjoyable if you are struggling.
Maarten

What You're Looking For and More.

GIVE delivers on the experiences they describe; if you are authentically compassionate and open-minded you will leave this program with invaluable insights, friendships, and memories.

Although there's no way to guarantee your satisfaction with every detail of the trip, the volunteers, interns, employees, and leadership of Growth International Volunteer Excursions are visibly committed to creating meaningful, memorable settings for personalized experiential learning and development.

You'll be with good people.

I had no complaints after my experience with GIVE.
Jody

My Nepali experience

I went on the GIVE Tibetan Frontier trip in summer of 2019. If you are a prospective traveler, know that the hiking here can be intense, there is a day that involves hours of uphill, and you will be doing some form of hiking for some period of time basically every day of the trip. While sometimes this was exhausting, it was also rewarding. I would definitely do some cardio exercise before going on this trip. I absolutely loved the Nepali people, especially our guides. They will tell you their stories and welcome you like family. They will make sure you are cared for on hikes and be amazing DJs and dance party hosts. Life is a small Nepali village is incredibly different, and getting to experience a traditional family home, a yak farm, and spend time with the community members is a great part of this trip. In our group, a lot of people only got to do education and work with the kids once or twice. Unless something changes with the program, I think this is important to know so that if this is something you're really interested in, you will likely not get to spend a lot of time with the kids. The time that I spent with the school kids was a lot of fun, and they are really cool and sweet and taught me a lot. The Nepali atomsphere is very laid back and I always felt safe in the village. There were times during transportation by car where I felt anxious about safety. If you have any issues with riding on the edge of a mountain, this is something to be aware of. I'm from a very flat and low elevation, but I did not have any trouble with adjusting to the altitude. The volunteer work was labor intensive. We carried sand bags uphill. We chiseled rocks and mixed cement and built walls for a school. I recommend helping build the wall because it's very satisfying work. There were also some paint jobs available, which was also enjoyable. Overall, this is a trip to go on if you really want to connect with young Nepali people, and work alongside them to make a difference in the kids lives in this area. The kids here often have to leave their families to get an education, so helping to build a school is something that is really valuable and amazing for these people, and that is the motivation that will get you up the mountain!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We saw the yak harder get attacked by a yak and then saved by one of our guides. It was pretty crazy.
Katherine

No Regrets This Time!

In 2017 I traveled abroad for the first time through GIVE to Tanzania and words can not describe the time I had in the community on Zanzibar Island. My one regret on that trip was not doing the add on to hike Kilimanjaro, so id be lying if I said I hadn't been eyeing the Nepal and Everest Base Camp trek when it was first announced. In a last minute spontaneous decision I booked the trip to Nepal and the rest is history!

From the moment we landed it felt like I had known our group for years. I could not have asked for better guides to help us feel welcome and at home during our time in Gorkha as well as on the trek, our head guide on the trek quickly received the nickname "Dad" because of his kindhearted and caring personality. The trek to EBC while challenging, was a highlight of the trip. Throughout the trek our group continued to grow closer helping each other along the way telling stories and singing god awful commercial jingles. Our EBC legs and EBC bodies did not fail, while I might not have made it to EBC (one trek short, yak milk got the best of me) I have no regrets! I only wish I could go back to spend more time in such a special place.

What was your funniest moment?
On our way to Lukla to start our trek we hopped in a van at 4am and drove on some cliffside roads, which wakes you up to say the least. After arriving at the airport ready for our 20 minute flight to Lukla some weather rolled in on the mountain leaving us sitting at the airport longer than expected. Our group passed time by playing hour long games of eye spy, BS, speed and making friends with others waiting for a flight, we even saw the same guys throughout our trek! We made the best of the situation and ended up taking a helicopter ride instead! (which honestly? totally worth the wait).

While most people might not have enjoyed sitting outside in 90 degree heat for 5 hours waiting for a flight that might never come, I can honestly say those 5 hours were some of my favorite from the whole trip.