GIVE Nepal Volunteer Excursion in the Himalayas

Looking over the Langtang Valley
Looking over the Langtang Valley
Paragliding above the Himalayas
Paragliding above the Himalayas

Nepal is a truly special place in the world and volunteering in Nepal is the experience of a lifetime. Nowhere else on the planet can you climb higher, dream bigger and better witness the resilience of humanity than amongst these Himalayan giants and the mosaic of cultures within them. GIVE offers two unique volunteer programs in Nepal; both in the shadows of the Himalayas, both designed to empower communities to rebuild after the devastating 2015 earthquake.

Everest Base Camp Add-On (13 days)
Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity trekking through Mount Everest, known by the Sherpa people of Nepal as Chomolungma – the Goddess Mother of the Earth – a remarkable mosaic of landscapes, ecosystems and culture.

Tibetan Frontier Add-On (11 days)
Begin with 3 days of trekking and immersing yourself in Tibetan culture. Support earthquake recovery efforts through responsible tourism practices, before trekking further into the Tibetan Frontier to summit a Himalayan peak!

• Discover the Himalayas
  • Teach English to Local Children
  • Rebuild Homes Near the Epicenter of the 2015 Earthquake
  • Embark on a 2-Day Whitewater Rafting Journey
  • Watch the Sunset Over an Ancient Hindu Kingdom

2020 Trip Dates are Here!

Check out our new 2020 dates and our newest location, Vietnam!

Sarah

GIVE Nepal Review

This was an awesome trip, and one of the most challenging but fun things I've ever done before. I loved the guides who were part of our trip, as I think they really made the experience as fun as it was. I feel like I really made some important and lasting connections while here. I would definitely recommend this trip for anyone who wants a good adventure, as there is quite a lot of independence to explore where you are staying. Additionally, the culture component of this trip is really strong, which is something I really enjoyed. I felt like the community really enjoyed our presence and wanted to learn from us as much as we wanted to learn from them. It was overall just an unforgettable experience, and I loved everything we did, even when I felt incredibly challenged.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-wracking moment for me was the hike into Langtang, as it was the longest and hardest hike I've ever done. I was intimidated to start, but after receiving the support from my guides and fellow members on the trip I started to realize that it wasn't all that bad and I was much more ready to climb the mountain.
Hadley

GIVE Volunteer Tibetan Fronteir

This trip successfully immerses the participants in the culture of the area and provides first hand experience of local community life. The guides do their best to help the volunteers understand the cost of living up in this region, not only in financial expenses but also physical and mental tolls. The region was heavily affected by the 2015 earthquake, history, religious artifacts, families, and livelihood were lost as a direct result and it has been a long four years healing from the impacts. Though there are still very visible scars on the landscape and the people themselves they have not let the effects stop them from pressing on. Their strength is inspiring and I could only hope to one day be like them. I personally hope to return to the region in the future and continue to help them grow, cherish, and maintain their culture.

Preparation for physical expectations, though there was a section about the hiking trip I felt I would have benefitted from a play by play for the hiking so I could have prepared myself more fully.
Jordan

10/10 RECOMMEND

This trip was better than I ever imagined it to be! Everyone I met throughout this experience was so welcoming, caring, friendly, and it really felt like a big family! The guides were very organized and created an environment where everyone felt comfortable. The relationships they created with the locals was so amazing to see and allowed us to truly get a cultural experience by the lessons taught by the community. Every aspect of the trip, from the transportation to the tea houses we stayed in, was very well planned out and the experiences we had were unforgettable. At each place we had the chance to visit, we were welcomed with open arms and warm hearts! Our group was always laughing, having fun, and getting to know each other while being surrounded by the amazing scenery! GIVE is a one of a kind family that I am so thankful to now be a part of!

My advice to future travelers would be to try everything, get outside of your comfort zone, and really immerse yourself in the experience. For me personally, I have never been an adventurous eater, but throughout this trip my group encouraged me to try new things which allowed me to really experience the culture! I also recommend completely unplugging and really spending time with the people around you and taking in the place you are in because this experience is truly a once in a lifetime!
Jason

Trip of a lifetime!

The Tibetan Frontier is a trip I would send everyone and anyone on. This trip was more than I could have ever asked for. Between challenging myself on the hike, loving on the beautiful children, helping with the school, being surrounded by the Himalayas, or the great group of people I met on this trip, I couldn’t be more happy with the experience. Going on GIVE’s Tibetan Frontier trip wasn’t something I thought I would ever do, but now I want nothing more than to go back. The guides were everything you would want when traveling to a new country. They were knowledgeable, friendly, loving and gave me a push to never give up and get out of my comfort zone. I will never forget the memories, the beauty and the amazing people I met. If you want to experience something amazing then do it!

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment was just connecting with the rest of the people on the trip. With everyone being out of their comfort zones you talk about some crazy things and share things you never though you would. Also listening to music in the mountains, not having energy to keep walking but we sure could keep singing and dancing on our way.
Courtney

Adventurers Paradise

Namaste fellow travelers! My knowledge about Nepal prior to my trip with GIVE, I knew just short of nothing. I knew Mt. Everest was there and jumped at the chance to take on the challenge of a 13 day trek to base camp. However, there is much more to Nepal than Mt. Everest. There is adventure at every bend in the mountain compounded with rich culture and plenty of dhal bhat.

My experience with GIVE is simple: their regional coordinators (cross your fingers for Amy) administered all the transportation to and fro the work site, provided a place to stay, and food to eat, and did an amazing job making sure we had everything we needed, however, Nepal did the rest. It was the diverse landscapes that blew me away, it was the religious tolerance, the beautiful ancient architecture, but most importantly, it was the people-- the people who welcomed us into their homes with open arms, who always greeted us with gratitude and couldn't have been more thankful for all of our shared desires to serve their community.

You WILL NOT be disappointed with this trip, it has truly impacted me in more ways than I can even grasp. I would do it over again and again. Hell, I probably will. Happy traveling!

I know that this is usually a really important section for review boards so that companies can improve, however, I had such a good time on my trip that there isn't anything that I would change, nor is there anything that I would want the organization to change.
Stephanie

Nepal Tibetan Frontier

This experience was far beyond incredible. Through GIVE, I learned about what it means to be a global citizen, and all of the beauty and magic it entails to be immersed in a culture different than your own. I learned about ecotourism, and the importance of "voting with your dollar." This concept is one in which volunteers are encouraged to support the different "ma and pa shops," so to speak. Supporting local businesses is essential in a place that solely relies on tourism. I will take these lessons with me the next time I explore the world, and in every day life as they can be useful in any place.

The culture in Nepal is truly like no other. Never have I ever gone somewhere and instantly felt comfortable and became family with the locals. Their genuine kind souls inspire me immensely. I will never forget their playful hearts and all the hugs and love they gave us. It's rare to find a community that has been devastated by so much tragedy and yet still stands so tall, and still spreads optimism to whoever may cross their path. The locals often exclaimed, "long life!"

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment had to have been laughing with one of the locals. We had been trekking for hours. It was a hot day under the Himalayan sun. And all the sudden, I started to giggle. It created a ripple effect amongst the group, and one of our local guides joined in on the fun. We laughed for a while, without having any reason to. Just simply being present and filled with happiness that we both got the opportunity to experience something like this filled our hearts with joy to the point where our bodies couldn't take it anymore, and we burst out into giggles. "Laughing is healthy!" he exclaimed. We continued on our trek that day with a little more pep in our steps, and smiles spread wide.
Case

This Trip Taught Me What's Valuable In Life

Withhold all of your expectations and assumptions about volunteering abroad, because in reality a trip with GIVE will likely blow them out of the water. Not only do you get to make a positive difference in the lives of those less fortunate, you get to connect with people who share your views about the world, partake in one of your life's grandest adventures, as a solid team, and return home with enough insight and passion flowing through you still that the benefits make their way into your personal life. The single greatest effect my two weeks in Nepal had on me was the chance it gave for me to feel truly grateful for what I am given as someone living in a developed world. It is one thing to know you were lucky where you were born, but it is quite another to immediately strip away these luxuries for an extended period of time and try to make do with good company and a unifying mission.

I can still clearly remember my thoughts of excitement and distress leading up to the trip last June. There was a part of me that wanted to stay home where it was safe, but another that wanted to take the risk, get out of my comfort zone, and undergo an experience that would let me see the world for what it really is. The staff at GIVE greatly aided me on my journey to discover what kind of person I want to become. They never made me feel unsafe in my surroundings, provided great structure to each day's schedule, held nightly conversations about the impact we were having, and encouraged me to learn and have fun at every corner. GIVE does a great job of rewarding its volunteers with adventure days too In Nepal we spent two whole days whitewater rafting, and even had time to go on a safari and visit all the major cities of the country.

The people you meet when you go on a trip are not just average people living average lives. From staff to volunteers to the people you assist overseas, it is far too common to find smiles on their faces, their minds engaged, and their arms outstretched. I recommend this trip to anyone that is trying to discover their true calling, wants to meet amazing people, is in a rough patch, or simply wants to experience tourism from a intimate, hands-on perspective.

bring enough medicine and gear to stay happy and healthy
dont worry about connecting with everyone. this is your trip.
Sean

GIVE NEVER Disappoints!

GIVE's Nepal program is one of the best out there. After every GIVE trip, I feel more and more complete. You'll meet wonderful people, do meaningful work, and see a part of the world that people rarely get to see and feel. If you have the opportunity, take a trip with GIVE. The Nepal program will always have a special place in my heart.
You arrive in Kathmandu and immediately have a feeling to explore. You can go with new friends to see the sites in Kathmandu; see shops, visit the largest Buddhist monument in the world, or grab some food and see the views of the capital of Nepal.
The group travels to Pas Lang outside of Ghorka and all stay at a comfortable hotel which is owned and operated by welcoming and generous people. While working in the village of Pas Lang, I met great people who were eager to learn about me as I was eager to learn about them. You'll create such a close bond that you'll never want to say goodbye!
Luckily, the adventure part will keep you busy. I had so much fun on the white water rafting trip. I was laughing and feeling the rush the whole way. I also get to say I've seen Mt Everest face-to-face, during the base camp trek add-on.
If you feel anxious about going on the trip, don't be. The guides are knowledgeable and reliable, the people of Nepal are wonderful and trying new things and new food was worth it. Don't miss out!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Have you ever seen a mountain as tall as the highest clouds in the sky? Neither did I until seeing Mt. Manaslu at your accomodations.
Vic

Namaste, GIVE

"Namaste" translating to "the light in me sees the light in you", is the Nepal way of saying hello. This is a beautiful preface to what you will receive by doing a GIVE trip. With adventure packed fun and immersing yourself into a new culture, you will meet your best friends who support you and push you out of your comfort zone until you hit growth. The food is amazing and guides make you feel safe the entire way along. The locals will show you love and respect like you've never encountered. On the safari day we saw elephants and rhinos, and walked through the tallest grass I've ever seen- it felt like I was in a scene from Planet Earth. My only advice to anyone considering on going on a GIVE trip is to just do it. Take a leap of faith. My trips have shaped me into the best version of myself. I now have connections and smiling faces all over the US from people I met from GIVE. #GOODVIBES

What was your funniest moment?
Watching Amy dance to Gangnam Style.... I've never seen anyone master it like that. It was amazing.
Holly

Eye Opening and Inspiring

Deciding to go to Nepal with GIVE was easy, I've been on multiple trips and have loved every single one. But I wasn't quite ready for the impact this place would have on me. After arriving and heading to Gorkha with the rest of the GIVErs, we began our project of helping the residents of Paslang village rebuild their homes. It was such a moving experience to hear about what they went through during the earthquake in 2015 and how it completely changed their lives. What resilient people. After sweating it out in Paslang with the locals and GIVErs, we rafted down a river for 2 days, which was an absolute blast, and headed on a safari down south in the jungles of southern Nepal. By the end of two weeks it was hard to say goodbye to all my new friends, but we still talk all the time! I also chose to continue on with a small group and hike up to Everest Base Camp. The EBC hike was one of my favorite parts of my time in Nepal. It was amazing to hike everyday with the team of Sherpas and Yaks and other GIVErs to finally reach Base Camp.

Faith

Adventure of a Lifetime

I went on the Nepal Volunteer trip with the added base camp excursion, and it was the best spontaneous decision of my life.

I have always been a crazy adventure nut, and I was tired of the routine lull. I saw a flyer for GIVE and signed up for it without reading more than the one of these online reviews. I was excited to volunteer and hopefully help improve the lives of the people I worked with (with awesome adventure) not realizing my life was and will continue to be changed by the people and experiences there. Being immersed in the rugged beauty of Nepal and working alongside and spending time with the most tenderhearted people, it wasn't long before it felt like I was part of a family.

After volunteering for a week, the trip ended with a bang. Paragliding and white water rafting for two days then onto the Everest Base Camp excursion.

Before you get caught up in my crazy EBC experience, you should know it is one of the most amazing adventures of a lifetime and I will be going back to do it again even after what happened to me.

I started trekking with a bad cold (would not recommend) thinking I would be fine. I ended up having to be medically evacuated by helicopter with a final diagnosis of High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) with URTI. The people who work for GIVE and the CSA travel insurance bent over backwards to make sure I was properly cared for. I cannot emphasize enough how safe and under control I felt despite the worst case scenario playing out before me. The GIVE team was fantastic and CSA insurance that GIVE recommended was absolutely worth it, they reimbursed me without a fight. I also had purchased GeoBlue insurance on my own just in case I came to be in the situation where I needed to go the hospital and that insurance reimbursed me for the helicopter evacuation and the hospital stay.

I would like to thank GIVE; the amazing guides, the sherpas and everyone who played a part in organizing my unexpected evacuation. I will never forget this experience and I can't wait to go volunteer with GIVE in the future.

If there was a program to help you sell your old home and move to Nepal that would be perfect
Paul

First Time Outside of the USA!

We spent 2 weeks in Nepal; one week was spent rebuilding a village in Gorkha destroyed by an earthquake from 2015, and the second week was spent adventuring. I'd never been outside of the USA before, and I didn't want to take some generic touristy vacation, visiting a bunch of landmarks, I wanted to make it my OWN adventure, to see what it was like actually LIVING in a third-world country, and GIVE made this possible. And best of all, I got to meet and share this amazing experience with 20 other awesome volunteers, who i'm still friends with today :) Our entire itinerary was planned out for us every day ahead of time, including our meals and transportation. We got to raft down a river for two days (which was amazing), see some temples in Bhaktapur, visit shops in Kathmandu, and see elephants then go on a safari in Chitwan. The work wasn't always easy; it was back-breaking sometimes, and the food was pretty minimal, but that's what I expected and what I signed up for volunteering in a third world country. Fortunately no one in our group got sick at all, which is what I was worried about.

Nate

Amazing way to travel

Amazing experience! GIVE does a great job allowing its volunteers to immerse themselves in the community they work in and by doing so you are able to learn and appreciate the Nepali culture in a way you cant experience any other way.

For you adventure lovers and thrill seekers, GIVE also takes you along on these spectacular and exciting excursions which included a safari trek through the beautiful Chittwan, home to some of the world's most exotic animals, white water rafting through gorgeous landscapes and of course the constant breathtaking trek up to EBC.

Both the locals and the volunteers forever have a place in my heart. This is truly a life changing trip and one that brings good to individuals around the world along the way. Highly recommend!

Not exactly sure it's possible besides maybe if it never ended
Amanda

The Trip of your life

I went to Nepal in May of 2018. I have traveled with GIVE before to Tanzania and had already known the type of trip I was getting myself into. Although this trip impacted me more than my travels to Africa had in the previous years. This was the first summer GIVE had taken on rebuilding the community in Gorkha, Nepal. This small community had faced serious damages from the 2015 earthquake and still was having issues recovering. As a volunteer we spent our mornings mixing cement, laying bricks and trying to learn as much Nepalese as we could so that we could speak to natives. When you are volunteering with GIVE, you work alongside the locals everyday. You get to see first hand how these people are effected by the work you are doing. When you see the smiles after a long day of work, or once a roof can be put onto a house, you stop and really thing about the blessing in your life. The people in Gorkha gave a great lesson on how to be humble, and give even when you have nothing to give. Everyday the villagers would cook us lunch and you could just see appreciative they were when they handed you that plate of rice and lentils. They never stopped thanking you and asking you take second! Along with the volunteering you also get to embark on some once in a lifetime adventure activities, such as a safari, white water rafting, playing soccer with locals, exploring ancient cities and so much more. This trip will open your eyes to so much beauty and love that Nepal has to offer. I would encourage anyone to take the plunge and embark on this journey.

PJ

Nepal changed my world

This trip to Nepal completely upended my previous thoughts about Asia and the people that live there. I received firsthand experience interacting with community members, learning about their lives and how impacted they were by not only the 7.8 earthquake but also by countries, such as the US, that has so much more influence than them. I befriended locals my age, helped rebuild homes for families that worked alongside me, taught English to children with a passion to learn. I don't see these people as simply from Nepal, but as humans who have the same interests and needs as I do. I've definitely had a perspective change since my time in Nepal.

Not only did I have amazing connections with local communities, but I also got to explore the beautiful country and what Nepal has to offer. I went on safari, a 2-day white water rafting trip, and explored Kathmandu. I got to trek to Everest Base camp with my new volunteer friends which is one of the best things I've ever done. The Himalayas are beautiful and there is simply no place like them anywhere else on the planet. I visited temples and hiked through hillside villages with my Sherpa guides.

I spent a month in Nepal and that wasn't enough. One day I plan to go back and explore more of this country. Doing this trip with GIVE really opened my eyes to the best type of travel, one that not only allows exploration of beautiful places, but connection with beautiful people.

Discussions post dinner about the culture, history, and current situations in Nepal would be awesome to get more insight into the people and country.

Location:
81 F / 39 F
Airports:
Tribhuvan International Airport
( KTM )

Kathmandu is considered one of the most historic sites as it houses 7 UNESCO world heritage sites. Hop in a bemo, grab a momo (a nepalese dumpling), and visit the incredible temples

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About GIVE Volunteers

GIVE is an established leader in sustainable volunteer and adventure travel offering meaningful trips in Nepal, Tanzania, Nicaragua, Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. We are dedicated to inspiring growth, empowering global citizens, and igniting...