GIVE Nepal Volunteer Excursion

Nepal is a truly special place in the world and volunteering in Nepal is the experience of a lifetime. Nowhere else on the planet can you climb higher, dream bigger and better witness the resilience of humanity than amongst these Himalayan giants and the mosaic of cultures within them. GIVE offers two unique volunteer programs in Nepal; both in the shadows of the Himalayas, both designed to empower communities to rebuild after the devastating 2015 earthquake.

Option 2: Nepal & Everest Base Camp
Immerse yourself in an ancient Hindu Kingdom at the doorstep of the Himalayas, where you will help families rebuild their homes and teach fundamental English. Extend your trip with a 13-day trek to Everest Base Camp!

Option 1: Nepal's Tibetan Frontier
Begin your journey with a two-day trek through the Himalaya to the remote community of Langtang. Empower families to rebuild their homes and community. Cap off your trip by trekking through the Tibetan Frontier to summit Himalayan peaks!

Sean

GIVE NEVER Disappoints!

GIVE's Nepal program is one of the best out there. After every GIVE trip, I feel more and more complete. You'll meet wonderful people, do meaningful work, and see a part of the world that people rarely get to see and feel. If you have the opportunity, take a trip with GIVE. The Nepal program will always have a special place in my heart.
You arrive in Kathmandu and immediately have a feeling to explore. You can go with new friends to see the sites in Kathmandu; see shops, visit the largest Buddhist monument in the world, or grab some food and see the views of the capital of Nepal.
The group travels to Pas Lang outside of Ghorka and all stay at a comfortable hotel which is owned and operated by welcoming and generous people. While working in the village of Pas Lang, I met great people who were eager to learn about me as I was eager to learn about them. You'll create such a close bond that you'll never want to say goodbye!
Luckily, the adventure part will keep you busy. I had so much fun on the white water rafting trip. I was laughing and feeling the rush the whole way. I also get to say I've seen Mt Everest face-to-face, during the base camp trek add-on.
If you feel anxious about going on the trip, don't be. The guides are knowledgeable and reliable, the people of Nepal are wonderful and trying new things and new food was worth it. Don't miss out!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Have you ever seen a mountain as tall as the highest clouds in the sky? Neither did I until seeing Mt. Manaslu at your accomodations.
Vic

Namaste, GIVE

"Namaste" translating to "the light in me sees the light in you", is the Nepal way of saying hello. This is a beautiful preface to what you will receive by doing a GIVE trip. With adventure packed fun and immersing yourself into a new culture, you will meet your best friends who support you and push you out of your comfort zone until you hit growth. The food is amazing and guides make you feel safe the entire way along. The locals will show you love and respect like you've never encountered. On the safari day we saw elephants and rhinos, and walked through the tallest grass I've ever seen- it felt like I was in a scene from Planet Earth. My only advice to anyone considering on going on a GIVE trip is to just do it. Take a leap of faith. My trips have shaped me into the best version of myself. I now have connections and smiling faces all over the US from people I met from GIVE. #GOODVIBES

What was your funniest moment?
Watching Amy dance to Gangnam Style.... I've never seen anyone master it like that. It was amazing.
Holly

Eye Opening and Inspiring

Deciding to go to Nepal with GIVE was easy, I've been on multiple trips and have loved every single one. But I wasn't quite ready for the impact this place would have on me. After arriving and heading to Gorkha with the rest of the GIVErs, we began our project of helping the residents of Paslang village rebuild their homes. It was such a moving experience to hear about what they went through during the earthquake in 2015 and how it completely changed their lives. What resilient people. After sweating it out in Paslang with the locals and GIVErs, we rafted down a river for 2 days, which was an absolute blast, and headed on a safari down south in the jungles of southern Nepal. By the end of two weeks it was hard to say goodbye to all my new friends, but we still talk all the time! I also chose to continue on with a small group and hike up to Everest Base Camp. The EBC hike was one of my favorite parts of my time in Nepal. It was amazing to hike everyday with the team of Sherpas and Yaks and other GIVErs to finally reach Base Camp.

Faith

Adventure of a Lifetime

I went on the Nepal Volunteer trip with the added base camp excursion, and it was the best spontaneous decision of my life.

I have always been a crazy adventure nut, and I was tired of the routine lull. I saw a flyer for GIVE and signed up for it without reading more than the one of these online reviews. I was excited to volunteer and hopefully help improve the lives of the people I worked with (with awesome adventure) not realizing my life was and will continue to be changed by the people and experiences there. Being immersed in the rugged beauty of Nepal and working alongside and spending time with the most tenderhearted people, it wasn't long before it felt like I was part of a family.

After volunteering for a week, the trip ended with a bang. Paragliding and white water rafting for two days then onto the Everest Base Camp excursion.

Before you get caught up in my crazy EBC experience, you should know it is one of the most amazing adventures of a lifetime and I will be going back to do it again even after what happened to me.

I started trekking with a bad cold (would not recommend) thinking I would be fine. I ended up having to be medically evacuated by helicopter with a final diagnosis of High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) with URTI. The people who work for GIVE and the CSA travel insurance bent over backwards to make sure I was properly cared for. I cannot emphasize enough how safe and under control I felt despite the worst case scenario playing out before me. The GIVE team was fantastic and CSA insurance that GIVE recommended was absolutely worth it, they reimbursed me without a fight. I also had purchased GeoBlue insurance on my own just in case I came to be in the situation where I needed to go the hospital and that insurance reimbursed me for the helicopter evacuation and the hospital stay.

I would like to thank GIVE; the amazing guides, the sherpas and everyone who played a part in organizing my unexpected evacuation. I will never forget this experience and I can't wait to go volunteer with GIVE in the future.

If there was a program to help you sell your old home and move to Nepal that would be perfect
Paul

First Time Outside of the USA!

We spent 2 weeks in Nepal; one week was spent rebuilding a village in Gorkha destroyed by an earthquake from 2015, and the second week was spent adventuring. I'd never been outside of the USA before, and I didn't want to take some generic touristy vacation, visiting a bunch of landmarks, I wanted to make it my OWN adventure, to see what it was like actually LIVING in a third-world country, and GIVE made this possible. And best of all, I got to meet and share this amazing experience with 20 other awesome volunteers, who i'm still friends with today :) Our entire itinerary was planned out for us every day ahead of time, including our meals and transportation. We got to raft down a river for two days (which was amazing), see some temples in Bhaktapur, visit shops in Kathmandu, and see elephants then go on a safari in Chitwan. The work wasn't always easy; it was back-breaking sometimes, and the food was pretty minimal, but that's what I expected and what I signed up for volunteering in a third world country. Fortunately no one in our group got sick at all, which is what I was worried about.

Nate

Amazing way to travel

Amazing experience! GIVE does a great job allowing its volunteers to immerse themselves in the community they work in and by doing so you are able to learn and appreciate the Nepali culture in a way you cant experience any other way.

For you adventure lovers and thrill seekers, GIVE also takes you along on these spectacular and exciting excursions which included a safari trek through the beautiful Chittwan, home to some of the world's most exotic animals, white water rafting through gorgeous landscapes and of course the constant breathtaking trek up to EBC.

Both the locals and the volunteers forever have a place in my heart. This is truly a life changing trip and one that brings good to individuals around the world along the way. Highly recommend!

Not exactly sure it's possible besides maybe if it never ended
Amanda

The Trip of your life

I went to Nepal in May of 2018. I have traveled with GIVE before to Tanzania and had already known the type of trip I was getting myself into. Although this trip impacted me more than my travels to Africa had in the previous years. This was the first summer GIVE had taken on rebuilding the community in Gorkha, Nepal. This small community had faced serious damages from the 2015 earthquake and still was having issues recovering. As a volunteer we spent our mornings mixing cement, laying bricks and trying to learn as much Nepalese as we could so that we could speak to natives. When you are volunteering with GIVE, you work alongside the locals everyday. You get to see first hand how these people are effected by the work you are doing. When you see the smiles after a long day of work, or once a roof can be put onto a house, you stop and really thing about the blessing in your life. The people in Gorkha gave a great lesson on how to be humble, and give even when you have nothing to give. Everyday the villagers would cook us lunch and you could just see appreciative they were when they handed you that plate of rice and lentils. They never stopped thanking you and asking you take second! Along with the volunteering you also get to embark on some once in a lifetime adventure activities, such as a safari, white water rafting, playing soccer with locals, exploring ancient cities and so much more. This trip will open your eyes to so much beauty and love that Nepal has to offer. I would encourage anyone to take the plunge and embark on this journey.

PJ

Nepal changed my world

This trip to Nepal completely upended my previous thoughts about Asia and the people that live there. I received firsthand experience interacting with community members, learning about their lives and how impacted they were by not only the 7.8 earthquake but also by countries, such as the US, that has so much more influence than them. I befriended locals my age, helped rebuild homes for families that worked alongside me, taught English to children with a passion to learn. I don't see these people as simply from Nepal, but as humans who have the same interests and needs as I do. I've definitely had a perspective change since my time in Nepal.

Not only did I have amazing connections with local communities, but I also got to explore the beautiful country and what Nepal has to offer. I went on safari, a 2-day white water rafting trip, and explored Kathmandu. I got to trek to Everest Base camp with my new volunteer friends which is one of the best things I've ever done. The Himalayas are beautiful and there is simply no place like them anywhere else on the planet. I visited temples and hiked through hillside villages with my Sherpa guides.

I spent a month in Nepal and that wasn't enough. One day I plan to go back and explore more of this country. Doing this trip with GIVE really opened my eyes to the best type of travel, one that not only allows exploration of beautiful places, but connection with beautiful people.

Discussions post dinner about the culture, history, and current situations in Nepal would be awesome to get more insight into the people and country.
Jack

The Best Experience of my Life

Coming into this trip I felt I had a firm grasp on what I was going to experience - scenic nature, rewarding volunteer work, and many hours of personal reflection. Although I did experience these things (and many more), the true depth of these experiences far out weighted my expectations and any photo/video that Give Volunteers could post on their website.

I consider myself ambitious, but I was still quite nervous as this trip was going to be my first introduction to international travel. Of course, the great logistical work of the team in Nepal was relieving, but what truly made me feel comfortable halfway around the world was the people. Our lead guide Amy was the perfect leader to stimulate friendships among 17 strangers, yet her touch was slight as our relationships formed naturally. Not to spoil the ending, but these 17 strangers became some of my best friends following the trip and we have already planned some trips for the future.

If there was one thing I would urge you to do if you are nervous about taking the leap and signing up for a Give trip is to simply talk to a past volunteer or team member. The people affiliated with Give, myself included, are addicted to the organization and cannot stop talking and posting about how awesome their experiences have been with Give. As we concluded our Nepal trip and discussed the trip, there was one quote that consistently was spoken by my fellow volunteers: "this was my first trip, but definitely not my last".

But there are a ton of Give trips, WHY NEPAL you may ask, so let's dive into it. First off, Nepal was recently (2015) devastated by an earthquake, and you are first-hand bringing the community you are working in out of the depths of despair from this horrifying earthquake. To make matters worse, the Nepali government threatens to blacklist citizens who do not meet the deadline for rebuilding their home. Thus, you are essentially racing against the clock to save Nepali citizens from this horrifying notion of a blacklist. It's quite easy to see your progress physically, but what was much more impactful was when the chief of the village gave a speech thanking us volunteers and concluded with tears in his eyes. You are truly making a difference on this trip. Paired with rewarding volunteer work, the fun activities outside of the volunteering are amazing too. From exploring one of the largest caves in Asia to white water rafting, the activities are perfectly planned to not only showcase the beauty of Nepal but to also build the already strong friendships between the volunteers.

What I am trying to say is Nepal is so awesome!! I cannot recommend it enough for anyone who wants to make a difference, travel abroad, or find a new family in Give. I am confident in saying it is going to change your life in every way possible.

Nothings perfect, but this trip may be the closest thing to it because I can't think of anything to improve.
Kelly

Eye Opening

Going to Nepal, I had no idea what to expect. My experience was more than amazing. I met so many great people and learned not only things about people in the community but also myself! This trip made me see the world from a different point of view and it will forever stick with me. I cannot express how safe I felt at all times during this trip. Our guides always made sure that we had everything that we needed and encouraged us to step out of our comfort zone and really embrace the experience! During our time in Nepal we did many different things that involved giving back to the community, but we also go to experience many activities that you normally would not take part in. This trip allowed you to see more than just one city and impact more than just one town. During our working days, is when we really got the chance to get to know the people in the community. It was an amazing feeling to leave Nepal with connections with the locals. Being able to actually get to know the kids and families made everything we were doing that much more special. You will never not have a smile on your face when you are around these amazing people!

Michael

Not a Vacation, but a True Adventure

My GIVE trip to Nepal the summer of 2018 was my first time leaving the United States. I was a senior in college and had an overwhelming desire to travel but didn't know where to start. I was lucky to come across a flyer which directed me to a presentation that would steer my life in a more exciting, fulfilling, and positive direction. The presentation hooked me by promising hands-on volunteer work, a sense of community, and immersion into a foreign culture, but the actual experience far exceeded anything that could be described.

When I arrived to the airport in Nepal I was greeted warmly by our guide, Amy. She was quick to ask about who I was and genuinely friendly and caring. Getting on the bus and taking that first ride through Kathmandu was surreal. My eyes were glued to the window, absorbing every detail of the dusty streets sprawling with unfamiliar life. Once we arrived to the Buddha Stupa, Amy let us explore the square in our own groups where we were able to become friends with each other very quickly. From then on, it felt like I had known my fellow volunteers for months and our friendships continued to grow with each new experience.

There was not a single minute of the entire two-week trip that I felt bored. I could truly disconnect from my life in the U.S. and live in the present moment with life happening right in front of me without the distractions of electronics or any everyday obligations we all have, be it school, work, bills, etc. The only things I had to focus on where being immersed in a completely new world, my mission to help a local community rebuild, creating strong connections with volunteers and locals, and break through my comfort zone every day.

I have another GIVE trip planned for the next upcoming summer to Tanzania. There's no better way to travel, have a positive impact on the world, and make lifelong friends than journeying with GIVE. This trip will challenge you, inspire you, and alter your outlook on life for the better in ways you didn't know were possible. I would encourage everyone I know and anyone who is seeking a fulfilling adventure to take the risk, and to eventually be able to look back on their experience with joy and achievement.

Nothing can improve this incredible program, unless you would prefer to stay in a Marriott.
James

I've done similar, but nothing like this

I've travelled for different service trips prior to this trip with GIVE to Nepal, a couple to different regions of Africa and one to Brazil. What really stood out about this experience was how passionate every single individual volunteer was, everyone was excited to serve and help in any way we could. We did a couple construction projects for about a week and were able to complete a solid amount of work and hearing the thanks from the village council leader is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life. Language is often thought of as the main barrier when traveling outside of the country, outside of your comfort zone, but I would say that with our translators help and a Nepali lesson every night I felt comfortable enough to introduce myself, tell people where I was from, compliment the cook and haggle in the local markets! We also were able to use those Nepali skills for one night on the trip where we stayed in the village with a family without a translator, which was another crazy and enjoyable experience from this trip. I really hope to make it back to Nepal one day to reconnect with my wonderful friends.

I have no improvements to be made, our guide communicated how flexible we needed to be so when something came up that was not according to plan, we rolled with it and had a backup ready to go.
Madison

Unforgettable Experience in Nepal with GIVE Volunteers

Volunteering with GIVE Volunteers provides an amazing experience that I think is truly impossible to find anywhere else. I volunteered on the Nepal trip in May of 2018 with an incredible group of individuals from all over the United States and even Australia (shoutout to Amy!). One of the aspects I love the most about the GIVE program is its desire to not only make an impact through volunteering and service, but to expose you to different cultural experiences. Seeing the Boudhanath Stupa (a UNESCO World Heritage site) in Kathmandu was easily one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. Waking up to a view of the Himalayas nearly every morning wasn't the worst thing ever, either!

The vibrant colors--in the prayer flags, the food, the different cities--reflect the personalities of the Nepalese people. Not only we were extremely well-taken care of by the GIVE guides, the Nepalese people also went very out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed and were experiencing Nepal to the fullest. GIVE allows its volunteers to make genuine connections with the Nepalese citizens whether it be through laying brick together on the homes we worked to repair, doing a homestay with a local Nepalese family, or simply spending time together having fun, I felt like I learned so much about the culture by being able to form relationships with these people.

Both the volunteering and adventuring are very rewarding. After days of volunteering, I felt very proud to be able step back and admire the impactful difference we had made in creating something so important. Being able to white-water raft down a river also instilled a sense of confidence in me, and I'll never forget the jokes and stories we told as we glided through the water.

Going to a foreign country can feel nerve-wracking, but I can honestly say volunteering with GIVE has been one of the most special experiences in my life. I use the lessons I learned about becoming a global citizen daily, and I'd love the opportunity to attend another trip. You could not ask for more respectful, fun-loving guides or a more amazing experience. If you have the chance to attend one of these trips, DO IT!

I don't think there's anything I would change. I felt extremely safe and well-cared for throughout the trip.
Elliot

It became home

GIVE Nepal was better than I ever hoped it would be. After attending WILD, I knew that I needed to attend a true GIVE trip. This trip was truly incredible. I learned a lot about the country of Nepal and myself during it. Some of the trip highlights included building a house, white water rafting, a safari, and exploring the atmosphere and culture of Nepal. The village of Paslang, where we did reconstruction, is a beautiful and welcoming area. Starting the first day there we were welcomed with a traditional ceremony. I thought that only certain people would welcome us wholeheartedly, but the entire village showed up that day to welcome us. This sight made me sure that we were working in the right place. Over our time working we were fed traditional lunches of dal baht and were offered refreshments of tea and bananas often. Although most villagers spoke little to no English, we had Pasang, who is a Nepal native from the Everest region, and pekash, who is a native from Paslang, to help translate anything that couldn't be communicated through physical gestures. In my opinion working in Paslang was the most rewarding and enjoyable thing on this trip. Continually, we had a chance to do some fun adventure activities in Nepal as well. We went 2 day whitewater rafting down the Trishuli river. This was my first time whitewater rafting, and I am so pleased that I was able to experience it on this river. During slow points on the water, I would just look around and be astounded at where we were. Truly breathtaking views. Following that experience we visited Chitwan National Park, which is home to a number of incredible animals. Sadly we did not get to see any tigers in the park, but we did get to observe a few rhinos and crocodiles (from a safe distance). We concluded the trip the same way we started: exploring part of Kathmandu. This time we looked at the ancient city of Bhaktapur, and boy was it astounding. The ancient architecture scene in this place was incredible. Overall I would recommend this trip to anyone who is looking to explore a different side of themselves and the world. Namaste!

This program is a greater experience than anyone could ask for. No improvements needed
Alex

I peaked!

The four weeks I spent with GIVE in Nepal were honestly some of the highest points in my life thus far, both metaphorically and literally!

It was so humbling working along side the community members to help repair their homes that were damaged in the earthquake: locals and volunteers alike putting in equal work, sweat, jokes and laughter on the worksite. It was amazing to teach young children valuable skills and knowledge that will help open so many possibilities in their futures, it’s incredible how much they progressed in the short amount of time I was there! All the while, there were smiles, dancing and a warm embrace between different cultures. But what I love most about GIVE is that it’s not a charity, you can go home confident that the community is learning and investing in itself to continue improving and provide for itself, just as I went home armed with new knowledge of how to better impact the environment, sustainably travel, and be a global citizen!

Then after working hard, we got to play hard! The excursions were amazing and we were lead by experienced guides who had our safety as their top priority. We adventured all over Nepal: from immersing in the bustling capital, to exploring ancient cities, white water rafting through beautiful natural beauty, and getting a chance to safely see the rare fauna in a safari in a national park. I also did the add-on excursion and embarked on the 13 day trek up to Everest Base Camp with several of the new close friends I made during my time volunteering. It feels amazing when you finally make it up there and are completely surrounded by mountains on all sides!

This experience was incredible and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves making a difference and who loves to expand their view of the world!

About GIVE Volunteers

GIVE is an established leader in sustainable volunteer and adventure travel offering meaningful trips in Nepal, Tanzania, Thailand, Laos, and Nicaragua. We are dedicated to inspiring growth, empowering global citizens, and igniting sustainable change...