GIVE Laos Volunteer Excursion

While GIVE’s Laos Program is the perfect extension to our Thailand trip, it also stands alone as an off-the-beaten-path adventure into the rugged mountainous territory of this fascinating country. Your Laos volunteer opportunities will involve supporting remote villages on a variety of English education, eco-friendly infrastructure, agriculture and wildlife conservation projects. You’ll also have the opportunity to meditate with monks in a monastery, summit craggy limestone peaks, explore hidden waterfalls and zipline through the jungle canopy. Come see for yourself why Laos is the best-kept secret in Southeast Asia!

Extend your trip with the Elephant Experience Add-on! This excursion takes you through Northern Thailand to trek with elephants in the jungle, play with baby elephants, visit an ethical elephant sanctuary, and support an elephant nursery and veterinary hospital. You'll give local experts the resources they need to promote Asian elephant welfare and conservation!

• Take part in the Alms Ceremony
  • Explore Tat Kuang Sii National Park
  • Visit a 60-acre wildlife sanctuary
  • Hike through dense jungles to a beautiful viewpoint

Brendan

Do it!

I had many doubts about going on a service trip abroad, but GIVE absolutely proved my doubts wrong. To begin, GIVE makes sure to work with rural communities in an ethical way, only doing projects that the locals have expressed a need for. We also worked alongside the locals to learn from each other and enrich the experience.

Another thing I love about GIVE is that it gives you a really authentic experience, despite traveling with a group. We reached many places and had experiences that I could not have without traveling with GIVE. The adventure activities are rugged and active in the best possible way.

Finally, the relationships I made on my trip were incredible. The locals, the guides, and the other volunteers are all people I will remember for the rest of my life.

1) be patient, the lifelong friendships will come

2) be prepared to get dirty

3) still pack light

4) seriously, do it!
Carly Jo

Laos 2018

Just off the bank of the gorgeous Nong Khiaw River, an hour away from civilization, lies the most beautiful village of Sop Chem, populated by around 60 families. I can wholeheartedly say I have never experienced the true meaning of unconditional love until I arrived in Sop Chem. The whole community welcomed us with open arms and loving hearts. Throughout the entire two weeks of working hard on the construction site and the classroom, I made the most beautiful connections with the most inspiring people. Experiencing the most genuine view of their culture, traditions, religion and cuisine. One night we were able to pair up for homestays with amazingly welcoming families and were able to exchange abundant laughs and smiles all throughout the night without speaking a single word to one another.

profile photo
Molly

Life Changing

Traveling with GIVE has absolutely changed my life! Laos is an incredible, beautiful country that is rich with culture. The trip was well organized while still allowing for independence to make the experience your own.

While in Laos, we spent a few days exploring the quaint city of Luangprabang, participating in local ceremonies, learning about the history and culture of Laos, and becoming acquainted with the area.

From there, we traveled via long tail boat up the river to the small village of Sop Chem - a beautiful, welcoming community that quickly became family.

Our sustainable construction and education projects focused on asset-based community development, using the resources and skills of the locals & region to empower them to achieve their goals (and offering some extra hands to help). A truly impactful means of volunteering!

I can’t say enough great things about GIVE and their trips!!

Joe

Memorable

This is an experience you will be able to tell your kids in 20 years. If you want to immerse yourself in a new culture, learn current event and become a conscious traveler GIVE is the organization for you. It’s been two years since I went on my trip to Laos and I’m still talking about it. The staff is great, kind, and well trained. You gain great experience teaching English and working along side local engineers on sustainable infrastructure projects. You get to work along side wild life conservation groups. For instance, in Laos we worked with free the bears a great organization that works with rescuing moon bears and providing them a safe sanctuary that mimics their ecosystems. You also get the opportunity to learn about UXOs dropped in Laos during the Vietnam war. Lastly you will get to go to the beautiful village of Sop Chem a place I consider my second home. The people are very welcoming and are eager to teacher you their culture as well as learn about yours. I recommend freshening up on your card games because the teens in Sop Chem don’t play around when it comes to games like slap and speed. I would also like to add the adventures are amazing but the connections you make abroad are going to be the best memories you have on this trip!

Cultural Activity Laos
Carly

Living and Learning

The GIVE Laos trip was one of the most special trips I've ever been on. I've volunteered with GIVE three times now and this was my absolute favorite. Little did I know I found my second home in a small village in the jungle, halfway across the world. The community members are so motivated, intelligent, inspiring, and hilarious! They were always the first to the worksite and ready to work on the project with us, as one big community. Working with the ladies during our adult English classes was an absolute highlight for me. I also appreciated the supplemental discussions and educational context that the guides provided for the country and culture. I learned things about my own country that I would have never known until I took a chance and traveled. This trip was organized, safe, fun, and inspiring!

Madeline

Somewhere I Call Home

Two years ago, I had never heard of the country Laos, and was completely ignorant to its existence, yet my experience there with GIVE Volunteers was overall amazing, and has had such a big impact on my life and how I view the world. While there, I came across both mental and physical challenges, but the wonderful locals, guides, and volunteers are some of the kindest people I have ever met. Being in the village of Sop Chem itself, we were immediately welcomed and assimilated into their lives; it wasn't long after we arrived when it began to feel like a home away from home. I cried plenty of ugly-tears when my time there came to an end, but I am constantly reminded of everything I learned and experienced, and I feel I now have a greater passion for people, the environment, and leaning and understanding other cultures. I don't know how long it will take, but I am sure I will go back one day.

About GIVE Volunteers

GIVE is an established leader in sustainable volunteer and adventure travel offering meaningful trips in Nepal, Tanzania, Thailand, Laos, and Nicaragua. We are dedicated to inspiring growth, empowering global citizens, and igniting sustainable change...